Money Missing From Funeral Funds

Money Missing From Funeral Funds

There are 4 comments on the KTUL-TV Tulsa story from Aug 10, 2006, titled Money Missing From Funeral Funds. In it, KTUL-TV Tulsa reports that:

The state Department of Insurance says it's going to try to collect almost 58-thousand dollars in missing funeral funds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTUL-TV Tulsa.

Jerry Julian

AOL

#1 Oct 19, 2006
Telling your 86+ year old mother that her prepaid burial expenses to Hodge Funeral Home may be missing, is something I never thought I would have to do. The State Insurance Commissioner is quoted as saying they are trying to collect or find the money. At any rate this incident is taking its toll on her already poor health. My mother provided these funds to Mr. John Hodge based on trust and faith in him never suspecting that he could possibly skirt the laws governing safeguarding her money. (mother Kathryn Neal)
Marilyn Herrin

AOL

#2 Jan 14, 2007
My mother in Dallas just learned of this travesty this week. My mother will be 92 in February and currently lives in Dallas. I was going to write to Tom Cole, Congressman, via internet but am prevented doing so since I live outside his area. Hopefully others will write to him requesting, demanding, more immediate action than apparently what is currently being done. I recognize the court moves slowly, but after reviewing what I could find on line, allowing Mr. Hodge to walk around free benefitting from our monies seems inexcusable.
Like Kathryn Neal, Jerry Julian's mother, my mother is doing well to maintain quality of life at 91. The week she learned of this misappropriation of funds was right after I left Dallas from the holidays. She is dealing with severe rheumatoid arthritis and the pain attendant thereto has escalated because of this news. This information is taking its toll on her and the rest of my dwindling family. I have been trying to determine a satisfactory recourse from the amount of money she prepaid to John Hodge. She has felt swindled, violated and just flat hoodwinked. It is incredible that this Hodge has been allowed to use my mother's money to live a quality of life, and apparently still is, without some sort of immediate penalty while waiting for the wheels of justice to turn without costing the victims additional costs to see that justice is done. If there is anyone out there that might want to consider some sort of group lawsuit, perhaps we should talk. It may not be practical but the punitive aspect this has already taking its toll on me and my mother and I suspect that of those who are finally learning they have been victimized by Hodge.
Basicidea

AOL

#3 Feb 2, 2007
Mr. John Hodge is still running around town as if he has done nothing wrong. From what we can find out our family money is gone. The money was paid to him for a prepaid burial. How many other people are just now finding out about this mess. A person might expect to lose money if we were talking about a car repair or renovate an old house. But this is the final event in a persons life we are talking about. Aren't funeral homes requred to be insured and bonded? We can't seem to get good information on any of it. If any of the missing funds are found , who does it belong to? If Mr. John Hodge did nothing wrong how can our money be missing? Someone please Help shed some light on this.
Chris brantley

Lawton, OK

#4 Feb 5, 2007
Hodge tried to rip off my grandmother for seven thousand dollars, but we called the attorney general and filed a complaint right before he got caught in all this mess. I'd like to think we helped bring down a sick individual like him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fletcher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's wrong with Lawton (Jul '10) Jul 24 Girly90 119
Fort Sill Jul 22 Mikey 7
Lawton Water Jul 15 Ken 1
Former President Bill Clinton becomes President... Jul 14 guest 2
Lawton Oklahoma Jul 14 guest 7
Lawton Police department wants Trooper Pay Jul 14 BOAKYAG 9
firemen in Fletcher (Sep '13) Sep '13 karma 1

Fletcher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance