Dropped charges against Fletcher chie...

Dropped charges against Fletcher chief draw criticism

There are 17 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Feb 28, 2007, titled Dropped charges against Fletcher chief draw criticism. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

The head of the N.C. Police Benevolent Association criticized a prosecutor's decision to drop criminal charges against Fletcher Police Chief Langdon Raymond.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

James

Candler, NC

#1 Mar 1, 2007
Well here we go again , These DA`s just have to much power they can do as they please ,Dont know this cheif personally but yes I think from what the officers said I think he was guilty and this shoukd not have been droped.Just another exsample of how the Justice system works here.The N.C.Benevolent asso should file a Grievance with the State Bar on this DA if they think she acted Unethical.
john

Anderson, SC

#2 Mar 1, 2007
Why would anyone think that a police chief would be held accountable for his actions. this is Buncombe County, where the cops rule and run roughshod over all laws.

“Never believe generalizations”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#3 Mar 1, 2007
The C-T once again shows its' biases. Why haven't they listed Hunt's response to the NCPBA? You can read it at the Hendersonville Times-News website. Reading the letter will give you a more balanced perspective.
WhiteWarrior

Wilsons Mills, NC

#4 Mar 1, 2007
john wrote:
Why would anyone think that a police chief would be held accountable for his actions. this is Buncombe County, where the cops rule and run roughshod over all laws.
The cops rule? The 2 Officers who filed a complaint certainly didn't "rule". Baloney!!!!!
Tired of Illegals

Asheville, NC

#5 Mar 1, 2007
I dont know anyone but Langdon Raymond involved in this case and I know what a hot head he is. Yelling and frailing his arms around running at my family in the Asheville court house, When I had to remind him that we were in a PUBLIC building not his private building. Hm??........Maybe it was his building after all after hearing the out come of this case.
Clean House

Saluda, SC

#6 Mar 1, 2007
If I recall reading somewhere after the charges had been dropped; the reason they were dropped is that there was not enough evidence. Dah!!!! How can you have evidence in this type of situation - would it have been on film! What type of evidence are the courts looking for? Anyone that has any common sense at all knows that Guilty is written all over this story. It is Fletcher Police Chief Langdon Raymond's word against the other fellow.
Therefore, once again - no true justice is being served --- I believe they need to clean house & start all over.
In the KNOW

Durham, NC

#8 Mar 1, 2007
Editorial from the Hendersonville Times News

March 01. 2007 12:00AM

Shine light on police department





If the Fletcher Town Council truly wants to remove the cloud that has been hovering over the Fletcher Police Department, it will release the town manager's report on the department and how it is managed.

Instead, Mayor Bill Moore and the Town Council have hidden behind the state's personnel statutes, claiming they cannot reveal the contents of the report because it involves a personnel matter.

Yes, it does, but it also involves town residents' trust in their Police Department and in the department's chief, Langdon Raymond.

Releasing Town Manager Mark Bieberdorf's internal review of the police department would be a good first step. When the town is talking about its top police officer, it can't hide behind the personnel exemption. The Town Council needs to answer in more detail what problems Bieberdorf found and what steps are being taken to address them.

Residents deserve to know whether their top cop is a man who has made some errors in judgment or is a loose cannon with anger management problems.

Rather than answer these questions, the council has essentially told town residents, "Trust us. We took care of it. Don't you worry your purty little heads none."

Raymond returned to work Monday after being suspended since October. He was put on paid leave after a former officer, Adam White, and a suspended officer, Timothy Foxx, took out misdemeanor assault charges against him. A special prosecutor from Catawba County said she dropped the charges last week because of insufficient evidence.

"There has been a cloud over Fletcher and I am glad that the charges have been dropped," Moore said. "This puts an end to this and I am looking forward to moving on."

Not so fast. Both Foxx and White are questioning the decision to drop the charges. Several complaints against Raymond have been filed with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. And there's still the question about whether Raymond's management style is what the town and the Police Department needs. Fletcher residents deserve answers to all these questions.

Even Mayor Pro Tem Eddie Henderson acknowledges that the council still has work to do.

"After talking with some of the officers there are some differences and attitudes toward Chief Raymond and we will be working on those when he gets back," Henderson said.

Each of the state's personnel statutes contains a provision that allows the board or individual heading an agency to release personnel information when release "is essential to maintaining the integrity" of the department or agency.

There's nothing more essential to the integrity of the Fletcher Police Department than that town residents trust the police force. To have that trust, the people who have the power to pull residents over, arrest them and put them in jail must have credibility.

Town Council members can give the Police Department a large dose of credibility by showing the public Bieberdorf's report, his recommendations and what changes the council ordered.
Dedicated to service

Easley, SC

#9 Mar 1, 2007
James wrote:
Well here we go again , These DA`s just have to much power they can do as they please ,Dont know this cheif personally but yes I think from what the officers said I think he was guilty and this shoukd not have been droped.Just another exsample of how the Justice system works here.The N.C.Benevolent asso should file a Grievance with the State Bar on this DA if they think she acted Unethical.
This should have at least made it to a judge or jury.
SoB

Eddyville, KY

#10 Mar 1, 2007
john wrote:
Why would anyone think that a police chief would be held accountable for his actions. this is Buncombe County, where the cops rule and run roughshod over all laws.
Fletcher is Henderson County you stupid ass.
WhiteWarrior

Wilsons Mills, NC

#11 Mar 1, 2007
Tonight (thursday) on WLOS local news, some guy named King (I believe)stated that he was pepper sprayed and charged with disorderly conduct, and some drug related charge. He claimed that he was filing a lawsuit against the Officers or Department. He appeared to be a nut. It does sound as if the entire Police Dept. is all to hell. I found it a bit curious how he suddenly appeared out of nowhere. This incident supposedly took place sometime ago. How convenient.
Mr_Know_It_All

Eddyville, KY

#12 Mar 1, 2007
Clean House wrote:
If I recall reading somewhere after the charges had been dropped; the reason they were dropped is that there was not enough evidence. Dah!!!! How can you have evidence in this type of situation - would it have been on film! What type of evidence are the courts looking for? Anyone that has any common sense at all knows that Guilty is written all over this story. It is Fletcher Police Chief Langdon Raymond's word against the other fellow.
Therefore, once again - no true justice is being served --- I believe they need to clean house & start all over.
Clean House you say the charges were dropped because there was not enough evidence. Don't be so sure...considering that Sergeant Steve Morgan was a witness to the incident and stated that Langdon was out of place when he conducted the search. Also Chief Raymond himself admitted to conducting the search, his defense was he felt that Officer Adam White had a knife in his pocket. Sounds like there was at least enough evidence for the case to go to court. My question is why did ADA Brenda Brewer feel there was enough evidence in the morning hours of Feb. 22 to proceed to court, and completely change her mind that afternoon. I think there should be a through investigation done by the Attorney's General Office. If a through investigation was done I feel that it would reveal ADA Brenda Brewer dropped the charges because Shannon Lovins called Ms. Brewer's decision to work out a deal for Officer Adam White unethical.

“it's me it's me it's ernest t ”

Since: Feb 07

mayberry

#13 Mar 1, 2007
john wrote:
Why would anyone think that a police chief would be held accountable for his actions. this is Buncombe County, where the cops rule and run roughshod over all laws.
former police chief pete bradley was held accountable for assault feb 7
WhiteWarrior

Wilsons Mills, NC

#14 Mar 1, 2007
SoB wrote:
<quoted text>
Fletcher is Henderson County you stupid ass.
At least for today. Asheville is on another annex kick. I think they want the entire state.
Jim

United States

#15 Mar 2, 2007
Just a way of life in Fletcher. Oh, by the way, do not drive even 5 mph over the speed limit in Fletcher as they need money for the legal bills!
DA Moe Ronnie Moore-On

Asheville, NC

#16 Jul 5, 2012
Show trial alert! Show trial alert! Show trial alert!
been their done that

Greenville, SC

#17 Feb 11, 2013
In the KNOW wrote:
Editorial from the Hendersonville Times News
March 01. 2007 12:00AM
Shine light on police department
If the Fletcher Town Council truly wants to remove the cloud that has been hovering over the Fletcher Police Department, it will release the town manager's report on the department and how it is managed.
Instead, Mayor Bill Moore and the Town Council have hidden behind the state's personnel statutes, claiming they cannot reveal the contents of the report because it involves a personnel matter.
Yes, it does, but it also involves town residents' trust in their Police Department and in the department's chief, Langdon Raymond.
Releasing Town Manager Mark Bieberdorf's internal review of the police department would be a good first step. When the town is talking about its top police officer, it can't hide behind the personnel exemption. The Town Council needs to answer in more detail what problems Bieberdorf found and what steps are being taken to address them.
Residents deserve to know whether their top cop is a man who has made some errors in judgment or is a loose cannon with anger management problems.
Rather than answer these questions, the council has essentially told town
residents, "Trust us. We took care of it. Don't you worry your purty little heads none."
Raymond returned to work Monday after being suspended since October. He was put on paid leave after a former officer, Adam White, and a suspended officer, Timothy Foxx, took out misdemeanor assault charges against him. A special prosecutor from Catawba County said she dropped the charges last week because of insufficient evidence.
"There has been a cloud over Fletcher and I am glad that the charges have been dropped," Moore said. "This puts an end to this and I am looking forward to moving on."
Not so fast. Both Foxx and White are questioning the decision to drop the charges. Several complaints against Raymond have been filed with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. And there's still the question about whether Raymond's management style is what the town and the Police Department needs. Fletcher residents deserve answers to all these questions.
Even Mayor Pro Tem Eddie Henderson acknowledges that the council still has work to do.
"After talking with some of the officers there are some differences and attitudes toward Chief Raymond and we will be working on those when he gets back," Henderson said.
Each of the state's personnel statutes contains a provision that allows the board or individual heading an agency to release personnel information when release "is essential to maintaining the integrity" of the department or agency.
There's nothing more essential to the integrity of the Fletcher Police Department than that town residents trust the police force. To have that trust, the people who have the power to pull residents over, arrest them and put them in jail must have credibility.
Town Council members can give the Police Department a large dose of credibility by showing the public Bieberdorf's report, his recommendations and what changes the council ordered.
they need to do an international audit on the police department . Bad bad things going on
been their done that

Greenville, SC

#18 Feb 11, 2013
They need to do an international audit on the police department. Bad bad things are going on in that police department

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fletcher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Most wanted suspect arrested Oct '16 WillardHONORthief 3
Anyone work at Target South Asheville? (Jul '15) Oct '16 LowesLifer 2
Hillary's vs Trump Oct '16 Jason 1
News Black Mountain woman arrested on probation viol... (Mar '08) Jul '16 Myname 19
News Biltmore Beacon - Lori Gilbert (Feb '16) Feb '16 OSHO The LIAR 2
News Man charged with assaulting officers (Jun '07) Jan '16 Louis 42
News Whitewater Bluegrass evolves: Catch them Saturday (Jan '08) Jan '16 benhC34 5

Fletcher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fletcher Mortgages