Ingles' pricing redefines local gas m...

Ingles' pricing redefines local gas market

There are 131 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 12, 2008, titled Ingles' pricing redefines local gas market. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

When it comes to gas prices, most consumers are a bottom-line kind of crowd. And Ingles Markets, the Black Mountain-based grocery chain that has jumped into the gas market with both feet, is having a huge ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Madison James

Arden, NC

#1 Jan 13, 2008
God Bless Bob Ingle! Now if we could get Wal-Mart into the gas business! I love it when greed takes a kick to the shins!
Amanda Bailey

Asheville, NC

#2 Jan 13, 2008
Thank you Ingle's for the lower gas prices and the one-stop shopping. It is very convenient and cost effective!
Allen

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#3 Jan 13, 2008
Sam's Club offers cheap gas up north.... problem is you have to have a Sam's Club card to buy gas there.... thats another $40 bucks....
Lollerkeekles

Great Falls, MT

#4 Jan 13, 2008
Competition (in theory) benefits the consumer.
right up the road

Maxton, NC

#5 Jan 13, 2008
Some Wal-marts do have Gas stations on site, it just hasnt hit around here yet. They are Murphy gas stations, the closest one i've seen and been to is the new walmart down in Travelers Rest, SC. Their prices are generally like Ingles...a few cents lower than the stations around them. I do not think they are owned by Walmart.

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#6 Jan 13, 2008
Always check GasBuddy.com before filling up.

And, don't listen to the "oh, poor me" gas station owners. None live in a single-wide worrying about where their next meal is coming from, but the real local pricing villains are the distibutors which all remain secretive as hell. Try and do some checking if you have the time.
Teresa

Asheville, NC

#7 Jan 13, 2008
I look forward to any reason to go to S. Asheville just so I can get my gas cheaper.. but my question is Why is ONLY the S. Asheville Ingle's gas prices cheaper because the Ingles in Swannannoa and the Ingles on Tunnel Road's gas prices run MUCH higher than those in S. Asheville. It's great that Ingles can offer better gas prices in S. Asheville, but why can't they run the same great pricing in other areas of Asheville so that the residents NOT living in S. Asheville can enjoy the same benefits?
ladder truck idiot

Canton, NC

#8 Jan 13, 2008
wobert ingle wants to stop and buy cheap gas then rip you off in grocery store.
BisonBreath

Great Falls, MT

#9 Jan 13, 2008
right up the road wrote:
Some Wal-marts do have Gas stations on site, it just hasnt hit around here yet. They are Murphy gas stations, the closest one i've seen and been to is the new walmart down in Travelers Rest, SC. Their prices are generally like Ingles...a few cents lower than the stations around them. I do not think they are owned by Walmart.
Wal-Mart in Spruce Pine has one, and so does a new one going ino Johnson City.
horray

Candler, NC

#10 Jan 13, 2008
bo ho now they have got after ingles and off of wall mart. ingles is still making a profit but just not as greedy as some of the other,s i have three car,s and me and the wife just boogy on down to ingles , is not competion a great thing. is this not a great country or what?
An Unstable Mind

Eddyville, KY

#11 Jan 13, 2008
Madison James wrote:
God Bless Bob Ingle! Now if we could get Wal-Mart into the gas business! I love it when greed takes a kick to the shins!
"God Bless Bob Ingle"? What the hell for?
White Dogs

Sanford, NC

#12 Jan 13, 2008
THE CLOSEST WAL-MART WITH GAS IS AT HENDERSONVILE, IF PEOPLE WANT CHEAPER GROCERIES AND GAS THEY NEED TO PROMOTE GETTING KROGER STORES IN THIS AREA LIKE THEY HAVE DOWN IN THE EASTERN PART OF N.C. AND TENNESSEE. INGLES IN S. ASHEVILLE IS CHEAPER BECAUSE IT IS CLOSER TO S.C. WHERE THE GAS IS .15 TO .20 LESS BECAUSE OF THEIR TAXES. WE AS AMERIANS JUST EXCEPT WHAT IS DISHED OUT TO US,{GAS PRICES AND EVERYTING ELSE}, IN THIS COUNTRY. WE THINK OUR GAS COMES FROM THE MIDDLE EAST BUT WE GET VERY LETTLE FROM THEM AND
ONE REASON OUR GAS IS SO EXPENSIVE IS BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T BUILT ANY REFINERS IN THIS COUNTRY IN MANY YEARS AND PRODUCED ANY GAS FOR OURSELVES.
Just the facts please

AOL

#13 Jan 13, 2008
Teresa wrote:
I look forward to any reason to go to S. Asheville just so I can get my gas cheaper.. but my question is Why is ONLY the S. Asheville Ingle's gas prices cheaper because the Ingles in Swannannoa and the Ingles on Tunnel Road's gas prices run MUCH higher than those in S. Asheville. It's great that Ingles can offer better gas prices in S. Asheville, but why can't they run the same great pricing in other areas of Asheville so that the residents NOT living in S. Asheville can enjoy the same benefits?
I would think that is because they are making up more of the money in S Asheville that they are loosing on low gas prices by selling more groceries.

It may be illegal to sell below cost, but you can sell at a price so marginal that no one could stay in business unless they are making it up somewhere else.

Just wait until there is no competition and see what good ole Bob charges for gas.
Just the facts please

AOL

#14 Jan 13, 2008
White Dogs wrote:
THE CLOSEST WAL-MART WITH GAS IS AT HENDERSONVILE, IF PEOPLE WANT CHEAPER GROCERIES AND GAS THEY NEED TO PROMOTE GETTING KROGER STORES IN THIS AREA LIKE THEY HAVE DOWN IN THE EASTERN PART OF N.C. AND TENNESSEE. INGLES IN S. ASHEVILLE IS CHEAPER BECAUSE IT IS CLOSER TO S.C. WHERE THE GAS IS .15 TO .20 LESS BECAUSE OF THEIR TAXES. WE AS AMERIANS JUST EXCEPT WHAT IS DISHED OUT TO US,{GAS PRICES AND EVERYTING ELSE}, IN THIS COUNTRY. WE THINK OUR GAS COMES FROM THE MIDDLE EAST BUT WE GET VERY LETTLE FROM THEM AND
ONE REASON OUR GAS IS SO EXPENSIVE IS BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T BUILT ANY REFINERS IN THIS COUNTRY IN MANY YEARS AND PRODUCED ANY GAS FOR OURSELVES.
What does SC gasoline tax have to do with the price of NC gasoline in South Asheville?
Yeah

United States

#15 Jan 13, 2008
I love Ingle's! Great gas prices, good produce section, good over-all selection of items through out the store... etc. The only thing I don't care for are the crowds, and that's because everyone else loves Ingle's too.

I was in Harris- Teeter's the other day and nearly fell over when I saw the outrageous prices of everything. And forget shopping at Earthfare.

Good for Ingle's keeping their gas prices low. It sets the bar for everyone else in the area.
Bob

Candler, NC

#16 Jan 13, 2008
Live in madison county ingle,s is putting in gas pump,s on the marshall by pass those three little station,s beside ingles is all not wanting to see it come. guess what all three station,s is 10 to 15 cent,s higher than up in asheville. they may haft to get rid of one of their B M W ,S
Jon

Gaffney, SC

#17 Jan 13, 2008
Sam's Club here is used to be cheaper than Ingels Gas Express on Tunnel Road or the Enmark Stations but lately I've noticed that their price is higher. Much cheaper south of Biltmore on Hendersonville Road (8 cents a gal below the avg right now).
An Unstable Mind

Eddyville, KY

#18 Jan 13, 2008
Yeah wrote:
I love Ingle's! Great gas prices, good produce section, good over-all selection of items through out the store... etc. The only thing I don't care for are the crowds, and that's because everyone else loves Ingle's too.
I was in Harris- Teeter's the other day and nearly fell over when I saw the outrageous prices of everything. And forget shopping at Earthfare.
Good for Ingle's keeping their gas prices low. It sets the bar for everyone else in the area.
Thank you Mrs. Ingle.
bushwacker canton

AOL

#19 Jan 13, 2008
Ingle's is also American owned another reason to shop there.The Canton store just added gas pumps and the other stations gas prices went down 5-10 cents a gal.
RAMfan

Canton, NC

#20 Jan 13, 2008
For anyone to suggest that Ingles's is selling gasoline below its own cost is ludicrous, considering the investment the company has made in the facilities (pumps, tanks, etc.) at the locations that sell gasoline. I think someone at Ingles came up with a good (and smart, for them) idea that benefits both Ingles and their customers. They were probably thinking about how many times their customers are low on gas on their trips to and from the grocery store. They also probably know that a lot of their customers are like me - I like going to the same grocery store every time. This way, I can get in and out faster because I am familiar with where the products I use are located. If Ingles can get their customers into the routine of filling up their gas tanks on the way out of their parking lot, it will build a loyal and stable customer base. Customers will get into the routine of buying gas at Ingles. I know - it worked on me. While I am against corporate greed as much as anyone, this seems to be one situation where the big company (in local terms, obviously) is not a villain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fletcher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stockings and Garter Belts: (Sep '07) Apr '17 Todd 62
News Man charged with assaulting officers (Jun '07) Feb '17 Anonymous 43
News Black Mountain woman arrested on probation viol... (Mar '08) Jan '17 shotcaller 21
who is Adrien Fleming ? Jan '17 shotcaller 1
Hillary's vs Trump (Oct '16) Oct '16 Jason 1
News PisgahMountainNews.com (Apr '07) Apr '15 Angry mom 27
News Canton man charged with breaking into homes, pa... (Mar '09) Jan '15 Mike 70

Fletcher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fletcher Mortgages