Turf at Mckinney Field
eddymunster

Clarksburg, WV

#104 Aug 15, 2013
Well just watched WBOY News. Not to my surprise what did I see? The football team practicing in the Baseball field. I thought getting turf was suppose to fix the problem of the football team tearing up the baseball field. I filling in the hole over the summer in the baseball field were actually for the football teams benefit. Nothing ever changes. All about safety my ass!
Bring On The Turf

Grafton, WV

#105 Aug 16, 2013
Well thats because girls soccer had the field during morning practice and noys soccer has it in after school.
What

Grafton, WV

#106 Aug 16, 2013
Hey, Eddy, should the football field be shared between the football, soccer, powderpuff, and band programs but the baseball team keep their field all to themselves? Hmmmmm.....
eddymunster

United States

#107 Aug 16, 2013
What wrote:
Hey, Eddy, should the football field be shared between the football, soccer, powderpuff, and band programs but the baseball team keep their field all to themselves? Hmmmmm.....
Yes!! That's where their perspective sports are played. Maybe we should set up bases ad paint baselines on the new turf have them practice there. How would that be? The big selling point was well now the Baseball field will not be getting torn up anymore. Look I'm glad they have the turf. Not so much the way it was done but now it's a done deal and it looks great so I accept that. But the whole thing was the football field was unsafe. But it is somehow OK to destroy the baseball field and it's OK if it's unsafe. I don't have a problem with the band practicing on it even soccer would be OK it's the grass that concerns me it will grow back. But the cleats and the sleds digging ruts and holes in the field make it a hazard for the kids who play ball on it. Until you have played on that outfield you have no idea how dangerous it is.
Bearcat truth

Clarksburg, WV

#108 Aug 16, 2013
Once again it is time for real facts. Some of you are so for turf that you are blind to the truth. Some of you people are so against turf, that you see either. Here are the facts. The turf is here and it looks great. It will be used almost every evening and night and other schools will be envious of us. Was it pushed on the taxpayers by a select few, yes it was. Could there have been other solutions tried, yes there could have. Did the argument for turf include having room for all to practice and play, yes it did. Yet here they are practicing on the baseball field. Even the younger kids are practicing there and the local paper referred to the field as the GHS football practice field. Now for a fact that few of you realize. The track field events were not allowed to be put on the turf field because they wanted the enzone areas to be free so that two teams could practice at the same time. We have the most delux soccer goals that money could buy and we not only bought two but we bought four. Why might you say, so tap teams could play at the same time. One was overheard saying that football and soccer could not practice at the same time and the answer is why not. They have been tearing the baseball field up for years and they can only get one half a field there. The bottom line is there were a lot of untruths to help push the turf through. Soccer and football got the berries and track and baseball jot the shaft.
Concerned track parent

Fairmont, WV

#109 Aug 16, 2013
Couldn't agree more with you Bearcat Truth and Eddy. I hope the new scoreboards and new uniforms and helmets make them play better too. Instead of purchasing all those things, we could have turfed the field and fixed the track field events.
proud fan

United States

#110 Aug 16, 2013
You people are all a bunch of small minded people. The kids in this town now have something to be proud to play on. This the problem with this town old people not wanting to support the younger generations. Those of us who have younger children are proud to help them out. We support the sports of this town. Yes the middle school field should be fixed so they could have a field of there own. All I want to know is how are they going to do it. Small minded people of Taylor county don't want to pay more taxes to help the schools. Everyone wants to complain about things no one wants to fix it. People of the surrounding areas support the children and grandchildren. The way I see it if you don't want to help then keep it shut. Its people like you that cause hate and discontempt. I'm proud I was a bearcat my brother was a bearcat and my children will be bearcats. Way to go ghs beauitful field and those of them who don't like it don't go there we don't need you.
What

Grafton, WV

#111 Aug 16, 2013
eddymunster wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!! That's where their perspective sports are played. Maybe we should set up bases ad paint baselines on the new turf have them practice there. How would that be? The big selling point was well now the Baseball field will not be getting torn up anymore. Look I'm glad they have the turf. Not so much the way it was done but now it's a done deal and it looks great so I accept that. But the whole thing was the football field was unsafe. But it is somehow OK to destroy the baseball field and it's OK if it's unsafe. I don't have a problem with the band practicing on it even soccer would be OK it's the grass that concerns me it will grow back. But the cleats and the sleds digging ruts and holes in the field make it a hazard for the kids who play ball on it. Until you have played on that outfield you have no idea how dangerous it is.
Nope...disagree here. You love to tout the word "taxpayer." Well, I'm a "taxpayer," and as a "taxpayer," I don't want to pay taxes on a field that sits there all year and only gets used by the high school baseball team in the spring while another field is overused. You can learn to share like everyone else. Just like the stage is used A LOT for non-choral and non-band activities, and the gym is used for P.E. classes and wrestling and graduation, as well as girls and boys basketball, and the Home Ec. room is used for reunions and hospitality events (and on and on) your baseball field is going to be used for non-baseball events, and if its not, this taxpayer and friends will be mad. You're not getting it to yourself, and if you don't like it, go down and ask the girls softball team to let you share with them.
What

Grafton, WV

#112 Aug 16, 2013
P.S., Don't try to post about how the softball field is not regulation for baseball. (Duh.) If you keep complaining, I think that is where you should be sent. And just so you know, in an effort to make the football program look selfish, you made yourself out to be the selfish one by not wanting to share.
eddymunster

United States

#113 Aug 17, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope...disagree here. You love to tout the word "taxpayer." Well, I'm a "taxpayer," and as a "taxpayer," I don't want to pay taxes on a field that sits there all year and only gets used by the high school baseball team in the spring while another field is overused. You can learn to share like everyone else. Just like the stage is used A LOT for non-choral and non-band activities, and the gym is used for P.E. classes and wrestling and graduation, as well as girls and boys basketball, and the Home Ec. room is used for reunions and hospitality events (and on and on) your baseball field is going to be used for non-baseball events, and if its not, this taxpayer and friends will be mad. You're not getting it to yourself, and if you don't like it, go down and ask the girls softball team to let you share with them.
I don't believe I used "tax payer" once. First I don't mind paying my taxes but it should be spread around for everyone. And using the gym for PE and the stage for other things than choral events is a moronic statement. The PE students are not digging holes in the floor with cleats or pushing football sleds around the floor. And I believe I said I wouldn't mind the band or the soccer team sharing the field. It's not the grass being killed that is the problem It's the Idea of a kid breaking his leg in a pot hole or taking a bad hop to the face from bouncing off a rut that is the problem. But I guess injuries aren't a problem as long as it's not a football player. And if you didn't want me to say they can't play baseball on the softball field why would even you bring up such a stupid thing.
What

Grafton, WV

#114 Aug 17, 2013
eddymunster wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe I used "tax payer" once. First I don't mind paying my taxes but it should be spread around for everyone. And using the gym for PE and the stage for other things than choral events is a moronic statement. The PE students are not digging holes in the floor with cleats or pushing football sleds around the floor. And I believe I said I wouldn't mind the band or the soccer team sharing the field. It's not the grass being killed that is the problem It's the Idea of a kid breaking his leg in a pot hole or taking a bad hop to the face from bouncing off a rut that is the problem. But I guess injuries aren't a problem as long as it's not a football player. And if you didn't want me to say they can't play baseball on the softball field why would even you bring up such a stupid thing.
If you are the same "eddymunster" that has been posting on here since the field project started, then yes, you've talked constantly about how the taxpayers can't afford this project....go back and take a look. Second, I believe it is you, sir (or ma'am) who makes the moronic statements....do you not understand the difference between tax monies being used and private donations? Yes, there was some tax money spent, but most was private, from people out of state (not your tax base) who wanted to see this project come to fruitition. No, everyone should not "spread around" private donations ear-marked for a certain project. Also, do a little more research: many facilities at that school suffer destruction a lot while being used for other programs and events. It's the only high school in the county, and it gets used by the community members constantly. and quite frankly, I like that. I'll let you do your own investigation...go take a good long tour/visit. Begin with how the new gym floor had to have repairs because of festivities at Bearcatfest. But none of us mind, because it was for the good of the kids. Mind you, there were kids who enjoyed that event who play NO sports. It's okay, we'll fix the floor! And finally, you didn't seem to care or mention that the muddy field (from sharing and overuse) was a hazard to those athletes. I guess you don't care, "as long as its not a baseball player." Clearly, the sarcasm of the softball statement escaped you.
Now, take all the time you've spent whining on here the last several months, and put together a "Friends of the GHS Baseball Field" group, and begin soliciting funds for that project. Do you really care, or is it more fun to gripe and moan? Because I'm fairly certain that many people would love to contribute to such a fund for the kids. But be assured, "If you build it, they will come..." and USE IT.(Not talking about just a few practices by the band...talking about full-on use, like games, performances, or community social events.) It would get used by programs other than baseball. You will not gather as much money if it's only going to benefit the baseball athletes...that's just common sense. So, make it a great baseball "park" that all citizens can use, like the one in Bridgeport. My money's in.
eddymunster

United States

#115 Aug 18, 2013
@ What. Yes I did say earlier that the tax payers of this county can not afford the money it cost to turf the field. That is a fact. And not even half the money for the turf was donations. If the information is correct then $350,000 was tax money. That's the money I said should have been spread around. But since there were more people against spending that money on the field than against future levy's will fail. That mean teachers and other employees will loose benefits that are covered by the levy. I don't want to see anyone hurt you moron. My point was that the safety of the football kids was the reason for the turf but evidently the safety of the baseball kids was not so important because they still can't figure out a way to practice with out tearing up the field. And another thing who do you think keeps up the baseball field they don't have grounds keepers. The kids and coaches mow the grass spread the dirt rake the infield themselves. I don't believe I have ever seen the football team come down in the spring and weed-eat, mow and try to fill in the pot holes they make in the summer. Except of course for the ones who play both sports. I have seen the baseball team lose hundred if not thousands of dollars over the last few years. Because they were not able to host tournaments due to football practice and field conditions. The comparison between refinishing the gym floor and pot holes in the baseball field is not a good one. The scratches in the gym floor are not a safety issue. Isn't that the whole issue?
Say what

Bridgeport, WV

#116 Aug 20, 2013
Umm mountain statesman front page selling shirts to pay for maintenance contract for turf field,umm couple months ago said had to hurry spend rest of money because had another check to come in for I believe 40 grand and said the co tract for maintenance was paid now they are raising money something not adding up..also if ya think this project don't affect jobs ask service personnel in the schools see what they say
Say What

Grafton, WV

#117 Aug 20, 2013
Say what wrote:
Umm mountain statesman front page selling shirts to pay for maintenance contract for turf field,umm couple months ago said had to hurry spend rest of money because had another check to come in for I believe 40 grand and said the co tract for maintenance was paid now they are raising money something not adding up..also if ya think this project don't affect jobs ask service personnel in the schools see what they say
Ok lets just ask one. I am service personnel here for the BOE and nothing that has to do with turf has anything to do with our jobs. Who in the heck even told you that?
Bearcat truth

Fairmont, WV

#118 Aug 20, 2013
Hey what, you are really desperate to defend, but once again you don't know the facts. Baseball has been sharing just as much and long as other teams. For as far as people can remember, the fb team has practiced and yes torn up the baseball outfield. As if that was not enough, the boys soccer team has practiced there at times. Also the little guys fb also practices there too. Andy's there is more, the babe Ruth teans practice there in the Sumer. Does his sound selfish? Baseball has given to the point of bleeding to death. As for raising money to improve the baseball field,give us 350 thousand to strt with and see how quick a new field can be purchased. Oh but wait a minute, the Boe has no more money for such things. Enjoy the turf and pray that the next levy passes. Look at Preston county and Morgan county to see what happens when taxpayers get upset!
Lost in grafton

United States

#119 Aug 20, 2013
Taxpayers get upset when it comes to sports crap, but don't a hoot in hell about who they vote in at elections. That figures.
Hello

Grafton, WV

#120 Aug 20, 2013
Be careful about threatening no levy pass. Again, Taylor County schools began this year without qualified teachers in some positions because we are a "last resort" for applicants who only bid here until better jobs open up in counties around us. That's right, we are now officially into the school year and can't find teachers to bid on openings and its been happening for a few years now. When citizens around here get good teachers, they better start doing everything they can to keep them happy. If not, ya get what's comin to ya.
Football_Pays_Al l_BIlls

New Martinsville, WV

#121 Aug 21, 2013
Bearcat truth wrote:
Hey what, you are really desperate to defend, but once again you don't know the facts. Baseball has been sharing just as much and long as other teams. For as far as people can remember, the fb team has practiced and yes torn up the baseball outfield. As if that was not enough, the boys soccer team has practiced there at times. Also the little guys fb also practices there too. Andy's there is more, the babe Ruth teans practice there in the Sumer. Does his sound selfish? Baseball has given to the point of bleeding to death. As for raising money to improve the baseball field,give us 350 thousand to strt with and see how quick a new field can be purchased. Oh but wait a minute, the Boe has no more money for such things. Enjoy the turf and pray that the next levy passes. Look at Preston county and Morgan county to see what happens when taxpayers get upset!
Nobody cares about Soccer, Track, Cross Country, Swimming, Tennis, Baseball or Band. Football is the only real sport at Grafton High School. The game of Football makes men of boys, pays all of the bills so that the kids who are afraid to put the pads on are able to participate in one of the lesser sports.
Grafton, WV

#122 Aug 21, 2013
I guess that's why the football team only has 3 state titles and track (including cross country) has over 10. Your "real men" seem to have a problem winning when it counts. Not to mention john "pancake" bord sucked so bad he has to resort to illegal manipulation if money to finance his wet dream. Wait till US Atty Cross gets gis hands on him.
Say what

Bridgeport, WV

#123 Aug 21, 2013
Hello ya made a very good point. The school system is cutting back in a lot of different areas but no one will see this until things start getting a little run down and why the things that are needed aren't and can't be done. They can't cut the numbers in a lot of areas for instance can't cut teachers because the student capacity in our schools are busting at the seams . They have to make it to school they have to be fed . Hmm ya see where I am going with this.. Class technology books food and so on can be funded in many different ways.. But repairs upkeep and maintaining will soon show up. If there is very little money and the workforce to do it who is to blame .. Isn't there student and worker ratio that was a guideline for employees.. Guess that went out the door to

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flemington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Been a month 9 min Hmm 43
Seth Smallwood 18 min Nosey 34
mike efaw 18 min National enquirer 13
girls that are dtf? (Feb '16) 23 min Dina 14
Stealing from the deceased (May '16) 47 min SJW 53
Hailey Nicholson 1 hr Yum 1
Shots fired at car in Nutter Fort 1 hr Mensa 4

Flemington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance