Vioxx claimants rush to join $4.85B settlement as deadline nears

Full story: Newsday 3,679
The volume of claims by Vioxx patients hoping to get a piece of a $4.85 billion settlement makes it appear likely that the deal will go forward, according to lawyers and drug maker Merck & Co. Full Story
First Prev
of 184
Next Last
plaintiffx

Netcong, NJ

#1 Jan 14, 2008
Vioxx Plaintiffs: Attention
If you're a plaintiff in the Vioxx litigation and have questions or concerns about the recent settlement offer, visit our group. The group was started by a plaintiff for the sole use of plaintiffs to exchange information. Tell your story or just observe. If you're not a plaintiff, but know someone who is, please pass this information along.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MerckSettlement...
Butch

Alton, MO

#2 Jan 14, 2008
While significant numbers of Vioxx plaintiffs are being pressured by attorneys to agree (part of the settlement requires attorneys to recommend it to all their clients), many plaintiffs are not happy with it and don't intend to agree. They are discussing the settlement at a very active Yahoo group called "MerckSettlement". Only plaintiffs are allowed to join this group. Any plaintiffs who think this settlement offer is not very good should consider joining in the discussion!
anon

AOL

#3 Jan 14, 2008
you would be a fool too fall for this joke of a settlement
anon

AOL

#4 Jan 14, 2008
how about addressing the real issues

1. ejection fraction is not a true indicator of overall heart condition.
A normal ejection fraction reading does not mean your heart is not damaged. If the heart failure is in the atria rather than the ventricles, EF may register as normal. LVEF may be normal if the failure is in the right ventricle. In addition, some conditions, including cardiomyopathy, do not always lower a patientís EF.

2. having to sign your life away...better hope you don't drop dead the day after you sign

3.subrogation issues

4.com pensation for spousal loss of consortium

5. bmi no consideration for muscular of heavy bone....very vague

6. what about the people that were improperly diagnosed at first signs..

7. people are being penalized for being overweight, why were they even prescribed?

face it, merck are greedy murderers...

if you give someone poison, you go to jail for attempted/murder!!!!!!

what makes merck so special?
jammansgirl

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jan 15, 2008
This settlement is a joke. Merck has aleady spent 1.2 BILLION dollars defending itself in cout, and has not spent one penny to any of the plaintiffs or any of the cases they have lost. They have thier deadline for all of the cases against them put in writing, but they do not have any date put in writing when they have to have all of the cases paid in full. For all we know we could end up with a 10 dollar per year annuity. I need something more in writing before I will sign anything.
Si Senor

Hempstead, NY

#7 Jan 15, 2008
jammansgirl wrote:
This settlement is a joke. Merck has aleady spent 1.2 BILLION dollars defending itself in cout, and has not spent one penny to any of the plaintiffs or any of the cases they have lost. They have thier deadline for all of the cases against them put in writing, but they do not have any date put in writing when they have to have all of the cases paid in full. For all we know we could end up with a 10 dollar per year annuity. I need something more in writing before I will sign anything.
Dom't worry the law firm of Dewey Cheatem & How will make $4.8B after their fees and expenses and all the shlubs will get crumbs and let's face it, most of the plantiffs who weren't injured that's all you really deserve.
freedom2008

United States

#8 Jan 15, 2008
To Si Senor.Sounds like you are a ignorant shlub (sounds like a good word for you)that does not know of the many plaintiffs that "need" more money because of their injuries from this drug. How do you know that we do not need more money than $10.00.Do you think that Merck would be having people tolled and paying out a settlement if they did not know that they harmed people by Vioxx? I say to jammansgirl you are so right on and go for the justice you deserve and I am too. We will get Merck where they do not want us to. In their pocketbook. They got my father where he is, dead.
Joe plaintiff

Glenwood, AR

#9 Jan 15, 2008
This settlement is a joke!! Who would settle for who knows how much? and who knows when? How about the next time you buy a drug from Merck you say I'll pay you what I think its worth whenever I want to. Do you honestly think you would get the drug. I will not buy drugs made by Merck again, I have stopped taking Zetia too. This big company forgot why they went into business, to help sick people, not to make people sick. Now if they wanted to do the right thing and they just made a mistake on their drugs and didn't hide evidence thats a different story. The right thing would be to compensate the plaintiffs according to the severity of their illness, how many pills they took and age and leave all the other junk out of it. Each and every person would be compensated that had ever taken Vioxx for over a few days.
wtf

AOL

#10 Feb 13, 2008
BMI IS A JOKE..IF YOU ARE LARGE FRAMED..PREGNANT..LARGE BREASTED..ECT ECT..YOU ARE GETTING HAMMERED.....WHAT A JOKE..WERE ARE THE GOVERNMENT INVESTIGATIONS NOW?
OH WAIT VICTIMS AREN'T MEDICARE!!
nurse

Westview, KY

#11 Feb 14, 2008
hey a sciniest just committed sucide wonder what he knew
rhonda

Houston, TX

#12 Jun 7, 2008
my mother had a heart attack and died at 62 with no heart problems after taking vioxx and they are guilty of her death....so for the a**wipe who says no one was injured screw off
rhonda

Houston, TX

#13 Jun 7, 2008
the only reason we agreed to the settlement was:

1 merck will defend itself with million dollar attorneys which we could never afford

2 this will take decades in court
squeamish

AOL

#14 Jun 10, 2008
Has anyone got any information from their attorneys if they are a vioxx plantiff on when this settlement will take place and where? I filled out tons of paperwork and for what, why did I have to give out my life history and family's life history, all because I had mycardial infarction in June 2001?I took 15 vioxx pills before my heart attack and I know that's what brought in on, and now they say I did not ingest enough. Have you heard that one?
mo_glo

Uniontown, PA

#16 Jun 29, 2008
I had a sudden heart attack in 2001 after 18 months on the drug. All I really see myself getting for this is a rich attorney and a bill from blue cross/shield for my medical bills.
Lynne

AOL

#19 Jul 16, 2008
re: THE MERCK VIOXX SETTLEMENT - SO WITH 2 WEEKS TO GO FOR THE AUGUST '08 DEADLINE FOR THE 40% PRELIMINARY CHECKS TO COME OUT ... HOW COME NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING. IF YOU CALL SEEGER WEISS THEY CAN'T TELL IF THEIR OWN CLIENTS HAVE BEEN APPROVED OR NOT... IT IS NOT JUST MY CASE, BROWNGREER HAS NOT TOLD THE SEEGER WEISS LAW FIRM IF ANY ONE WAS APPROVED OR DENIED OR HOW MANY POINTS THEIR CASE MERITS AND/OR HOW MUCH EACH POINT IS WORTH. I WONDER IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS ANY THING YET. AND EACH ARTICLE CLAIMS MORE PEOPLE ARE FILING CLAIMS. NOW THE 4.85 BILLION WILL BE DIVIDED UP BETWEEN EVEN MORE PEOPLE. IT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO BE DIVIDED BETWEEN THE CLAIMANTS WHO HAD LAWSUITS ALREADY FILED AND PENDING IN THE COURT SYSTEM TO HELP ALLEVIATE THE COURT PROCESS. WHAT HAPPENED.?
Cliff

Chattanooga, TN

#20 Jul 17, 2008
I was on Vioxx for 36 months but I didnít have a heart attack until the settlement time had passÖ What about the people who had heart attacks after the Vioxx settlement, how do they get part of the settlement? It appears the greedy lawyers have left them out.
vioxx victim

Salt Lake City, UT

#21 Jul 21, 2008
Cliff wrote:
I was on Vioxx for 36 months but I didnít have a heart attack until the settlement time had passÖ What about the people who had heart attacks after the Vioxx settlement, how do they get part of the settlement? It appears the greedy lawyers have left them out.
When did you stop taking Viox? When did you have your heart attack? Most states allowed two years after the date when Merck announced it was withdrawing Vioxx from the market to file suit. Where do you live? Who gave you Vioxx for those two plus years?
LYNNE

AOL

#22 Jul 22, 2008
TO CLIFF- I THINK YOU HAD TO BE ON A VIOXX PRESCRIPTIONM WITHIN 30-60 DAYS OF YOUR HEART ATTACK TO QUALIFY.
SO IF YOU HAD A HEART ATTACK 2 YRS AFTER STOPPING IT WOULD NOT BE PART OF THE SETTLEMENT.
AND THERE WAS A STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS, SO IF YOU HAD A HEART ATTACK IN 2003 (WHILE ON VIOXX)YOU HAD 3 YRS TO FILE A CLAIM.
LYNNE

AOL

#23 Jul 22, 2008
I am curious as to whether any one out there actually heard from their lawyers or a Browngreer clams administrator that they were approved and what their points would be??
my lawyers in NJ know nothing yet... so they say
Another Vioxx Vicitm

Sandy, UT

#24 Jul 24, 2008
In truth, I am trying very hard not to call my attorney with questions about this, because I am pretty sure he will mass mail letters to his clients as he hears from the Judges who are going through the files and making the decisions. There was a news story as of a few weeks ago that only 9100 cases had all the medical data and such needed for a decision.

I suspect for many of us who signed up for the settlement. We had better stock up on Kleenex, chocolate, and alcohol (If you can still do those things.) Because when we are informed of our part of the settlement is announced we are all going to be unhappy. Very unhappy.

I bet my attorney is already planning a month long vacation with an assumed name to a beach a thousand miles outside the US that begins forty eight hours before the letters are mailed to us on our, "settlement."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 184
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flemington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Director wants physicals for drivers age 40 and... Dec 10 jack 2
St Michael Home for Chilren Alumni 1952-1975 (Feb '07) Nov '14 ghorn 155
The price to pick-up garbage is too high! Nov '14 Amy York 1
CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTER Don J Nicholson Oct '14 XJW 1
Don J Nicholson 77 Pittstown NJ, Precision Sunr... Sep '14 XJW 1
Gay teens in flemington/readington (Aug '13) Jul '14 hey 8
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Francis Sheer 24

Flemington News Video

Flemington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Flemington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Flemington News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Flemington

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:15 pm PST