who remembers HILLS dept store, or WO...

who remembers HILLS dept store, or WOOLCO dept st.

Posted in the Flatwoods Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
missing the old days

Ashland, KY

#1 Jun 22, 2010
I really miss the good old days of going to hills when i was a kid, kmart, and woolco too. how many of you remember woolco dept store that was in ashland, where kroger is now? kmart is still around, but they arent the same like they were back in the day. Hills seemed like it had the best toys and gadgets. They closed when i was 20 or so, ah i can still smell those hotdogs and popcorn, when you first open that door and walk in. Hills really seemed to always have the best halloween masks too, not just cheap junky ones. Murphys was another good store, they had a nice little restaurant inside, and some cool stuff too in the store, but hills was my fav.
Really

Russell, KY

#2 Jun 22, 2010
missing the old days wrote:
I really miss the good old days of going to hills when i was a kid, kmart, and woolco too. how many of you remember woolco dept store that was in ashland, where kroger is now? kmart is still around, but they arent the same like they were back in the day. Hills seemed like it had the best toys and gadgets. They closed when i was 20 or so, ah i can still smell those hotdogs and popcorn, when you first open that door and walk in. Hills really seemed to always have the best halloween masks too, not just cheap junky ones. Murphys was another good store, they had a nice little restaurant inside, and some cool stuff too in the store, but hills was my fav.
I remember all of them. I miss them. I hate the mall
yea

Ashland, KY

#3 Jun 22, 2010
hills was the bomb. they had that slogan that said "hills is where the toys are". good times. i remember spryte, he was the mascot for the hills toy dept.
tere

United States

#4 Jun 22, 2010
wish they was still there
old timer

Ashland, KY

#5 Jun 22, 2010
I was in junior high when Hill's first opened. What a delight. 87 different departments !!! That was big news back then. As a high school student I can recall going to Hill's and buying an entire school wardrobe for less than $100.00. And yes, the popcorn was the best.
I remember going to Woolco's for the closing sale. I was a new bride and delighted to buy crystal wine and highball glasses for .50. I still have them and use them..even now.
Also, as a young married couple starting out..we splurged and ate out on payday Friday. Murphy Mart, or the Outpost was the two favorite dives. Good food, good service, good memories.
the way we were

Ashland, KY

#6 Jun 23, 2010
its like the stores of today just dont seem to have that same class, that the older ones had. I do like the malln and walmart is okay, but what i wouldnt give for hills, murphys, and woolco to still be around. As a kid it was just exciting to go to hills. When we would walk in the aroma of the food would just wash over you. It was almost like going to the fair, they had good food and games! I also remember the old hecks stores that were around, they were okay too, but not as cool as hills.
harts

Russell, KY

#7 Jun 23, 2010
Hills was great. My grandma always took us there for new school clothes. Anyone remember Hart's? It was in the Woolco building at one point. And Murphys!! Brings to my mind seeing Santa Claus when I was little. Great topix btw. I'm tired of all the gossipy crap that is usually on here. You should post this on the Ashland forum too. Have a good day;-)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#8 Jun 23, 2010
the way we were wrote:
its like the stores of today just dont seem to have that same class, that the older ones had. I do like the malln and walmart is okay, but what i wouldnt give for hills, murphys, and woolco to still be around. As a kid it was just exciting to go to hills. When we would walk in the aroma of the food would just wash over you. It was almost like going to the fair, they had good food and games! I also remember the old hecks stores that were around, they were okay too, but not as cool as hills.
Yea Hecks was a good store. And it had a big parking lot for Bluegrass Grillers to use after hours. LOL
missing the old days

Ashland, KY

#9 Jun 23, 2010
Well i do remember harts, but im having trouble remembering one around here, i went to one as a kid seems like in ohio, or west virginia. I did post this on the ashland and greenup forums. no responses, only the flatwoods one got ppl talking. Yea i remember hecks too, it was just past scope towers going into cattletsburg. Time passes so fast, i wonder if walmart oneday will be but a memory? Its sad these great stores are all gone, heck even value city is out now.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#10 Jun 23, 2010
Well i do remember harts, but im having trouble remembering one around here, i went to one as a kid seems like in ohio, or west virginia. I did post this on the ashland and greenup forums. no responses, only the flatwoods one got ppl talking. Yea i remember hecks too, it was just past scope towers going into cattletsburg. Time passes so fast, i wonder if walmart oneday will be but a memory? Its sad these great stores are all gone, heck even value city is out now.
Harts was in the Woolco building...after Woolco closed down. I remember my parents were so upset when each of the stores mentioned closed their doors. I guess when Walmart does go under, and it will sooner or later, we will all feel the same way.
the pumpkin

Ashland, KY

#11 Jun 23, 2010
As a child i remember going to hills around halloween for the pumkin hunt. They would hide small pumpkins in the hay out in front of the store in a roped off area. I think they gave you cash for finding them. Someone said they used to have easter egg hunts too, but i only remember the pumpkins. I was real young prob 4 or 5 yrs old, way back in 1980 or 1981.
Memories

Newburgh, IN

#12 Jun 23, 2010
"Hills is where the toy's are"!
Memories

Newburgh, IN

#13 Jun 23, 2010
Hills had "THE BEST" popcorn... too bad you can't find popcorn like that around here anymore.
Watsons

Newburgh, IN

#14 Jun 23, 2010
Remember Watsons was across the street.....I got my first mountain bike from there for my birthday didn't think the parents were gonna let me get it....I think it came from a earthquake in cali long ago
I remember

Ashland, KY

#15 Jun 23, 2010
Godsh I remember hills...They had all kinds of stuff..I wished something like that would come back...
old timer

Demotte, IN

#16 Jun 24, 2010
How about the old skating rink in flatwoods, I remember going there as a kid. That was alot of years ago!
the pumpkin

Ashland, KY

#17 Jun 24, 2010
hey i do remember watsons, i forgot all about them. probably because we never went there. wasnt watsons right beside murphys, over on that side? I can still see the big sign, it was in white letters i think, with a real big W, right? I dont remember a skating rink, probably b4 i was born.
mamakin

Ashland, KY

#18 Jun 24, 2010
Watsons wrote:
Remember Watsons was across the street.....I got my first mountain bike from there for my birthday didn't think the parents were gonna let me get it....I think it came from a earthquake in cali long ago
I worked at Watsons, and yea they were having the big Cali Earthquake Sale. That was around 1990 or 91 I think.
loved it

Macon, GA

#19 Jun 24, 2010
I remember the sale of the clothes too.. BUT I do remember the great popcorn they had, the way you could get a bag and then sit on the hood of the car cause they would do fireworks there!
The bathrooms, I never cared for, but everyone else , is missed
Citizen

United States

#20 Jun 24, 2010
Thank you for that walk down memory lane!! Yes there was a skating rink in Flatwoods....it was where Flemings Sign Shop used to be...it still has Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse painted on the walls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flatwoods Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Pennington 36 min 😱 56
Vote NO for alcohol sales in Boyd!!!!!! 1 hr Lmao 142
someone Is Desparate 1 hr The1urharassing 1
fairview board meeting monday 1 hr Parent 34
jeff hogsten (Mar '15) Sun Knows all 6
Stevens Aug 27 P stevens 1
top signs your wife/ girlfriend is a tramp (Dec '11) Aug 26 Joker 40

Flatwoods Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance