Truckers protest program allowing Mex...

Truckers protest program allowing Mexican carriers on U.S. roads

There are 3 comments on the El Paso Times story from Sep 7, 2007, titled Truckers protest program allowing Mexican carriers on U.S. roads. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

“These trucks already haul product from Tijuana to San Diego. Now they will be able to go beyond San Diego.”

At the Flying J truck stop, a group of long-haul drivers watched television and worried whether an impending trickle of Mexican trucks onto U.S. roads might soon wash away their livelihoods. via El Paso Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

BOB

Bryan, TX

#1 Nov 8, 2007
STOP THE WET BACKS

Since: Feb 07

Navojoa, Mexico

#2 Nov 8, 2007
Well, I'm not quite the alamist that some are. It has been said that the Mexican trucks are more regulated than the Canadian trucks. As far as taking jobs from the U S truckers i don't think so. The trucking companies in the U S cannot hire enough people to handle the workload. Just go and watch the main rail lines and see all the piggy backs that in the old days the truckers use to haul. My concern would be the drivers. Where i live so many truckers drive their big rigs like their family car. People over here stay out of their way. In the U S not so much so I can see a big safety problem with the Mexican drivers. Since Bush and the boys seem bent on doing this then I think maybe there should be a trail period that every 6 mos. the truck drivers have to come in and have their driving (in the U S) scrutinized. That way we have more control over them. By the way, almost all the 18 wheeler accidents in El Paso are from U S drivers, not the hundreds of Mexican drivers that cross the border everyday and drive the roadways of El Paso. I just don't think it is going to be as bad as some people say.
Jane Doe

Clarkesville, GA

#3 Jun 18, 2008
wtre

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flatonia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman Dies in Bastrop Camper Fire (Jul '09) Mar '17 Taz5961 31
News First person convicted in Bastrop murder (Jun '06) Nov '16 dianaiavuuli 13
Whats up wit the new bar (Nov '14) Nov '14 John 1
Mature older women read (Oct '14) Oct '14 In town 1
In search of herb (Oct '14) Oct '14 Ccguy 1
Smithville, Texas (Oct '14) Oct '14 Tomballpi 1
News Smithville sees big business in being film-frie... (Dec '07) Sep '14 Tomballpi 2

Flatonia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Flatonia Mortgages