Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81698 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#64338 Jul 23, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>The first time I remember that smell, the hair stood up on the back of my neck, before I ever saw the Copperhead. It's possible we may have instincts we're not typically aware of.
I think we do too.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#64339 Jul 23, 2012
Hmmm. It's possible. Very possible.

Location hidden

#64340 Jul 23, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you are talking about. My folks always called them salt pickles. I don't know if that's the real name for them or not. LOL. The rest of my family really went for them, they got my part too. Lol. I like sweet pickles, can eat dill pickles but don't care that much for them. Vinegar doesn't smell good to me either. I had rather have no salt as to much salt. A boss I used to have would eat those salt and vinegar potato chips and that Malt vinegar stuff at Captian D's. and aggrivate me by waving it under my nose. UCK! Lol.
LOL! I can see that in Captian D's, Uni fighting off the vinegar bottle, hehe. That malt vinegar IS some right powerful stuff.

My fave pickles are sweet pickles too, Uni. Those little buggers are almost like candy to me.

My Granny used to can hers with alum, it makes them really crunchy. But then they "squeak" on your teeth while you chew them, which would give me the shivers, LOL! Have you ever had them that way? Home canned using alum? They're killer!

“peace...”

Since: Apr 12

Madisonville, Ky

#64341 Jul 23, 2012
I see an opening, don't take it!

Location hidden

#64342 Jul 23, 2012
???
Sorry, I got lost making myself another cup of tea, LOL!

“peace...”

Madisonville, Ky

#64343 Jul 23, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
???
Sorry, I got lost making myself another cup of tea, LOL!
Ummmm, that sounds good, especially since I'm out of coffee!
Bluegrass State

Bluefield, WV

#64344 Jul 23, 2012
Why don't the horses die? The Bluegrass state has more horses than birds.

“peace...”

Madisonville, Ky

#64345 Jul 23, 2012
Bluegrass State wrote:
Good question, and interesting too. I know someone that had two horses that did die, but they were struck by lightning. It may be possible that lightning was responsible for the birds death as well.

Location hidden

#64346 Jul 23, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Ummmm, that sounds good, especially since I'm out of coffee!
At night, I enjoy either chamomile or raspberry tea. Chamomile helps you relax. But be careful with raspberry or the likes. It can tweak you out sometimes.
(These herbal teas can be tricky, lol).

I also keep fresh and wild locally 'grown' honey around the house.(Do you GROW honey? Hmmmm) Oh well. That and Agave nectar are always in my cupboards. Both are super foods and a natural alternative to refined sugars.

Location hidden

#64347 Jul 23, 2012
Never mind, lets just say it's locally 'harvested' honey. ROFLMBO!!

Location hidden

#64348 Jul 23, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Good question, and interesting too. I know someone that had two horses that did die, but they were struck by lightning. It may be possible that lightning was responsible for the birds death as well.
Cows aren't dying like that either. Hmmm. Good point. Food for thought...

Maybe it's because birds are so much more sensitive? It doesn't take much in the way of any type of pollution to kill them. Years ago, I had a large cage out on my patio once with a dove and a parakeet in it. My dear friend started up his Harley under the patio overhang, which smoked while it idled, and both of my pet birds died within the hour.....

Perhaps bovine and equine species aren't as susceptible to pollutants as little fragile birds are?? But that wouldn't account for the sea creatures that are washing ashore by the thousands, would it?

“peace...”

Madisonville, Ky

#64349 Jul 23, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
At night, I enjoy either chamomile or raspberry tea. Chamomile helps you relax. But be careful with raspberry or the likes. It can tweak you out sometimes.
(These herbal teas can be tricky, lol).
I also keep fresh and wild locally 'grown' honey around the house.(Do you GROW honey? Hmmmm) Oh well. That and Agave nectar are always in my cupboards. Both are super foods and a natural alternative to refined sugars.
You "grow" the clover, they do the rest! My uncle used to keep bees. Whenever someone would spot a swarm, he would go up to them, beating on an old pan or something to draw them in, and then scrape them off into a burlap sack. Not for the timid. I wouldn't doubt he knew Walter T. Kelley personally!

Location hidden

#64350 Jul 23, 2012
LOL! Thanks, R PETE. Guess I'm getting droopyeyed. My gray matter isn't very "with it" tonight, ha!

I'm going to head off to bed. Hope to see you all tomorrow! Sleep tight everyone!

May God bless us all, till then and afterward as well!!

*Poof*
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64351 Jul 24, 2012
Bluegrass State wrote:
There was a big horse die off a couple years ago, paniced the entire thoroughbred industry. But while there are lots of horses and cattle in Kentucky; they don't comgregate in masses like birds.

It is the quantity of deaths in one place that makes the news. If there is some environmental disaster and the only loss is some old hermit that resides out in the woods such as myself, it won't be newsworthy. But let it hit the cities, then see the panic.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64352 Jul 24, 2012
Same with the fish, since they travel in schools of large numbers. JUst look at what is dying. It is the "herd" mentality. Mad cow disease... You would rarely hear that something happened to Ol Joe's one lone milk cow.

Same with people. Some nut goes off his rocker and shoots his neighbor, that is just local unless the media can attribute it to mass racsim, hatred for different life-styles or gender preferences. But some one fires up a dozen people in the post office, school, theater, or McDonalds... those are shots heard around the world.

Could it be that there is really nothing new here, except the rapid and instantaneous reporting?
abc

Owensboro, KY

#64355 Jul 24, 2012
@ Una - Thanks! I will call them 'salt pickles' now instead of 'you know, Mom, I'm fixing/eating the sliced cucumbers with onions in vinegar with salt and pepper'!
@ AW - That's my husband's opinion on a lot of this : rapid, widespread reporting has made us more aware of the natural occurrances. I'm not sure about that though. My 98 yo grandmother has noticed things like the decrease of insects and can't remember that happening before. Of course, the cycle of it all may be every couple hundred years so it's no wonder it would seem strange to her also.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64356 Jul 24, 2012
The winter of 1977-78 was extremely cold and there was a massive fish kill in Central Kentucky and a decline of insects during the summer of 1978. The insects are a food source for some of the fishes.

That occurred at the same time as a 7 year re-occuring low life cycle for some fishes and the Department of Fish and Wildlife increased some of their stocking programs.

Of course, we did not have the internet back then to tell all about it or to generate discussions among the populace, nor did New york City media care much about a fish kill in Kentucky. It was more important to talk about Jimmy Carter lol

“peace...”

Madisonville, Ky

#64357 Jul 24, 2012
That which don't kill us, is already weaker than us.

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#64358 Jul 24, 2012
One thing for sure, all those things that made me stronger sure do hurt a lot these days.

“peace...”

Madisonville, Ky

#64359 Jul 24, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
The winter of 1977-78 was extremely cold and there was a massive fish kill in Central Kentucky and a decline of insects during the summer of 1978. The insects are a food source for some of the fishes.
That occurred at the same time as a 7 year re-occuring low life cycle for some fishes and the Department of Fish and Wildlife increased some of their stocking programs.
Of course, we did not have the internet back then to tell all about it or to generate discussions among the populace, nor did New york City media care much about a fish kill in Kentucky. It was more important to talk about Jimmy Carter lol
Remember that one well! I learned not to walk across frozen swampland with hip-waders on. Fortunately, when I fell through, it was close to the bank, and shallow. Shivered me timbers though!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flat-Lick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tent parents 20 min citizen 1
donna hale 1 hr Petty Patty 4
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Strel 163,369
Is coal dead? 2 hr Trickled Down 4
Sherry bar 2 hr The Real Yeti 20
Dustin Mills , Colonel ‘Joe’ Golden 2 hr Big Bug Podge 14
Important looking for 3 hr MEH 10

Flat-Lick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance