Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,819)

Showing posts 76,361 - 76,380 of81,182
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Good evening folks, It was a beautiful, but very hot day today. My bathroom floor is getting retiled and a couple of kitchen tiles are being replaced. This has been going on for over a week. I have a handyman that is very good, but only does this as a part-time side job, so I have been putting up with the mess for awhile. Dust everywhere.

The new horse that I adopted has put on sufficient weight for me to ride her, and now I only have to wait for the farrier to trim her hooves. She was a neglected animal that was rescued, and I volunteered to get her well. It's been an expensive proposition, but she has responded beautifully. I've got to quit spoiling her. She constantly looks toward the house when I go out, expecting me to come to give her a pat on the neck or some treats. Horses are gorgeous animals, but a lot of work. At least it keeps me busy. I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet, and I'm too old for a rocking horse.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, AW. Those commercials are a hoot, aren't they. They are also full of hooey. Reverse mortgage, fooey. Sign on the line, and drop dead the next day, and good-bye to leaving anything to the kids. Well, maybe that isn't such a bad idea.
Hope your hens are doing well. This morning, I awoke to a terrible ruckus on my side deck. The porch swing was hitting the side of the house, dogs growling and howling, and the most terrible screeching. I ran outside to find a young ground hog cornered with my 3 outside dogs trying to attack it. I woke hubby with my hollers for help, and out he ran, in his boxers. Hubby grabbed the cat carrier from the garage, and in ran the frightened groundhog. My, oh my, they have big teeth and long, heavy claws. I distracted the dogs while he ferried the critter to the back of the farm, near woods, hayfield, and river. Hubby's adventure wasn't done. The groundhog wouldn't get out of the cat carrier, so hubby gently dumped him out. He dove under the truck and hubby had to chase him around to get him to go off to the woods. With our luck, he'll be back to raid our garden. Hope he takes a few cucumbers. They're growing fast and we have so many, we don't know what to do with them. Neighbors have their own bountiful crop and don't want them either. Feast or famine here. Just another day on the farm. LOL
That is one crazy groundhog story! Talk about waking up with a bang! I can just see that groundhog heading for the safety of the cat carrier.(Our cats are more than willing to get out of the carriers though.) Ahh, the quiet, peaceful country life!! Don't 'cha just love it!
Hope your tiling project gets finished soon. I don't have any tile floors at this house but I do like them. Our tile guy for the bath surround and the shower brought his tent and literally camped out so he could work the tile as soon as it was set up. He was pushing to get the job done as soon as he could. Interesting dude . From Canada. With a green card.
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

It's a tricky day, because you're facing a clash between what you want to doo doo and what you have to doo doo. Unfortunately, it looks as though there isn't much leeway in all this, unless you're prepared to put your doodies to one side and then face the music when you're caught out. It's not a good day to ask for time off work, either, because other people may not be very sympathetic to your request and may even refuse to grant it.
spike

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

good morning fellow bluegrass birders ,....
let the glorious day begin !
its a gona be a hot one !

young wood chuck make for a great BAR B Q ,...

{the older fat ones tasted like carp crap - even if marinated for several days }
,....but the young -uns are good eatin!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Got a couple hours of much needed sleep last night. Hope you all have a great day! It's going to be hot, so take care!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

One needs duct tape to go with the hammer. It also works well to cover a pink crack. But it won't stick in the rain, so better watch for that forecast. Chicken poop makes tomatoes grow high and watermelons juicy. LOL
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Heeheehee, you sure did make some lemon aid with those lemons !!!:-)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Hello birdthreaders, hope you all are enjoying our last couple days of no rain. I am. I thought I would drop in to see if everyone was doing okay.

I see the trolls have been busy. hahaha

Here are a couple DIY...handy ones

For tomatoes:

To prevent beetles and other insects from destroying your tomatoes, create a mixture of one gallon of water, six drops of liquid soap, and two tablespoons of crushed hot red pepper powder. Spray this solution on your plants weekly.

May have posted this one before, but some may not have seen it.

Ttick/flea repellent recipe

Repellent for your pets:

For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent).

To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, any of which will repel ticks and fleas while also creating a nicely scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day.

For you and your family:

In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.

Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks.

After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine your skin and hair when back inside to make sure no ticks are on the body.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

For AW and Anne

Backyard chickens dumped at shelters when hipsters can't cope, critics say

Despite visions of quaint coops, happy birds and cheap eggs, the growing trend of raising backyard chickens in urban settings is backfiring, critics say, as disillusioned city dwellers dump unwanted fowl on animal shelters and sanctuaries.

Hundreds of chickens, sometimes dozens at a time, are being abandoned each year at the nation’s shelters from California to New York as some hipster farmers discover that hens lay eggs for two years, but can live for a good decade longer, and that actually raising the birds can be noisy, messy, labor-intensive and expensive.

“Many areas with legalized hen-keeping are experiencing more and more of these birds coming in when they’re no longer wanted,” said Paul Shapiro, spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.“You get some chicks and they’re very cute, but it’s not as though you can throw them out in the yard and not care for them.”
That accusation is disputed by advocates of home-grown chickens, who say that a few negative incidents shouldn’t give a bad name to a practice that encourages both self-sufficiency and the consumption of sustainable food grown in a humane manner.

“We’ve experienced smell, noise, pests, etc., way more from improperly cared for dogs and cats than we have from backyard chickens,” said Rob Ludlow, owner of the fast-growing website, BackYardChickens.com , which started with 50 members in 2007 and now boasts 200,000 members. He is the author of three books, including “Raising Chickens for Dummies.”

“Hundreds of thousands of people are realizing the wonderful benefits of raising a small flock of backyard chickens, the pets that make you breakfast,” he said, noting that cities nationwide have agreed, passing ordinances making it legal to keep small flocks of urban chickens.

However, at the Farm Sanctuary headquartered in Watkins Glen, N.Y.-- which operates three shelters on two coasts -- some 225 former backyard chickens are waiting now for new homes, said National Shelter Director Susie Coston. They’re among at least 400 to 500 abandoned chickens that show up every year, including many suffering from maltreatment or illness.

“They’re put on Craigslist all the time when they don’t lay any more,” said Coston, 48.“They’re dumped all the time.”

It’s the same scenario at the Chicken Run Rescue in Minneapolis, Minn., where owner Mary Britton Clouse has tracked a steady climb in surrendered birds from fewer than 50 in 2001 to nearly 500 in 2012.

She traces that rise to the so-called “locavore” movement, which spiked in popularity in 2008 as advocates urged people to eat more food grown and processed close to home.

“It’s the stupid foodies,” said Britton Clouse, 60, who admits she speaks frankly.“We’re just sick to death of it.”

continued:
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

People entranced by a “misplaced rural nostalgia” are buying chickens from the same hatcheries that supply the nation's largest poultry producers and rearing them without proper space, food or veterinary care, she said.

The most commonly available hens have been bred to be good egg layers. At the same time, backyard farmers often use enhanced feed, light or other tools to prompt hens to lay constantly. After keeping up that pace for 18 months to two years, however, hens often develop reproductive problems including oviduct diseases that can kill them, veterinarians say. However, healthy hens can live for years longer, up to a decade after they stop laying.

Many people would be surprised to know that chickens are smart, with funny, quirky personalities, Coston said.
Because chickens are notoriously hard to sex, some backyard farmers wind up with roosters, which are often culled and killed because they can be noisy, aggressive and illegal, and, of course, they don’t lay eggs at all.

In addition to the noise, many urban farmers are surprised that chickens attract pests like rats, and predators including foxes, raccoons, hawks, and even neighborhood dogs.

When they get sick or hurt, they need care that can run into the hundreds of dollars, boosting the price of that home-grown egg far beyond even the most expensive grocery store brand.

Enthusiasts who start out with good intentions frequently wind up posting messages like this one delivered to Britton-Clouse last month:

“One of our hens grew up into a rooster and our neighbors are starting to complain. Do you know someone who might take him?”

“People don’t know what they’re doing,” Britton Clouse said.“And you’ve got this whole culture of people who don’t know what the hell they’re doing teaching every other idiot out there.”
But Ludlow, the backyard chicken enthusiast, said that “it’s very rare” that people make such mistakes or underestimate how difficult it is to raise chickens.

“While we definitely want to see more education around the lifespan and laying lifespan of chickens, we find that most people become so attached to their hens as pets, that even though they planned to eat or cull their hens at the end of their laying life, they decide to keep their girls around even without laying eggs,” he said.
Coston, the Farm Sanctuary shelter director, said she wished that were true. Most people don’t realize that chickens are funny, with quirky habits and affectionate personalities as distinct as any other pet’s.

“Oh, my god, they’re amazing,” said Coston, who frequently cuddles her chickens.“We have some of the sweetest ones here. They just sit beside you and they let you pet them. And they’re big and dumpy.”

She hopes the enthusiasm for raising backyard chickens will fade and that consumers will take a second look at their appetite for eggs and poultry.

“To go back in time sounds wonderful,” she said.“But there is not enough land on this earth to sustain the amount of meat, dairy and milk that people want.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/backyard-chicke...
YouCanSayAnythin g

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Control problems...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Too cute. Dogs are so smart.

Astronaut? Scuba diver? Nope — beekeeping Labrador!

As yet more proof that dogs can do anything, Bazz the Australian beekeeping dog is specially trained to sniff out American foulbrood, a devastating bee disease. But beekeeper Josh Kennett needed a way to keep Bazz safe while he did his work, so he engineered this protective, space-age canine suit for the bee-saving black Labrador. "The only challenge now is getting the dog comfortable with the suit," says Kennett. "It's hard to change a dog's habits overnight. To fully cover a dog up and expect it to do the same thing [it always did], it takes time to change how he behaves and to get used to that suit."

http://now.msn.com/dog-beekeeping-suit-invent...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

OJG would love this one:

Most adorable goat attack ever!

http://msnvideo.msn.com/...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Another DIY

Zip Lock Baggies..........who knew?

We went with friends to a restaurant on Sunday for lunch and sat in the patio section beside the store. We happened to notice zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with ...water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally we were curious! The owner told us that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally we were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area! This morning I checked this out on Google.
Below are comments on this fly control idea. I'm now a believer!

Zip-lock water bags:#1 Says: I tried the zip lock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer. The flies were bad while I was camping. I put the baggies with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer.The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!

#2 Says:Fill a zip lock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight passage way for insects. Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some other insect nest and are threatened.

#3 Says:I swear by the plastic bag of water trick. I have them on porch and basement. We saw these in Northeast Mo. at an Amish grocery store& have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection& won't come around.

#4 Says:Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it and it worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Overly needy duckling may also be the most adorable creature ever

Dogs may be man's best friend, but ducks know who their meal ticket is, too. And they learn early. We're not sure where this duckling's mama is, but it's not going to let the next best thing out of its sight. Not when that person is also responsible for drawing the water for its daily swim, for blow-drying it to a fluffy finish and, most of all, for cuddling and stroking it until it attains perfect bliss. We were ready to declare this the most needy and spoiled creature on Earth, until realizing that description has to apply to the owner of this thief of hearts, too.

http://now.msn.com/cute-and-needy-duckling-wo...

I know UNA would've liked this one. haha
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

haha, he would really love this one.

Cops called to investigate fight started by man's loud farts

A well-meaning Michigan woman called 911 after overhearing what sounded like a violent argument coming from her neighbors' house. She heard a woman shouting "Stop! No!," each cry punctuated by a loud noise. But when officers arrived, they discovered that the woman in question was being terrorized by … her boyfriend's farts. The man was apparently assaulting her with his earsplitting ass music as she yelled at him to stop it. After discovering the source of the sound (and, we're guessing, the smell), the officers wrote "Cleared the scene expeditiously" in their report. "It's quite often that we respond to things that have a funny twist to them," police chief Harry Anderson said. "This was definitely one for the books.

http://now.msn.com/police-called-to-investiga...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Slam those icons trolls...hahaha I don't care. At least my fellow birdthreaders will have something to read besides your anonymous proxy BS.

I hope you guys have a good night.

Here's one for the BIRDS:

This whistling parrot is always looking on the bright side of life

As far as snapping our fingers goes, we're better at it than Ollie the parrot — but only because of his claw situation. When it comes to whistling a tune, we've got nothing on this African grey's sound. And of all the most excellent song choices Ollie could whistle along to, Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" is pretty perfect. Ollie should definitely team up with a certain tap dancing bird and take that show on the road.

http://now.msn.com/ollie-parrot-whistles-mont...
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

“The best way to be boring is to leave nothing out.”
Voltaire

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Warm Summer day today. Loved it!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

@a believer: that ziplock Baggie/water/pennies trick- I'm gonna definitely try that one!!

Too hot for me today! So. Siesta time around here if hitting the couch and watching a movie in the air conditioned living room counts!

As far as these chickens in my newly painted shed go, yes they require a lot of upkeep. But my grandson enjoys them..even if some of them are too old to lay.. They are fun to sit and watch. He does pretty good checking on them and I will turn over the feeding to him soon-- summer is busy for him as he's at his dads house most of the time. The broilers we used to raise were shipped out at 3-4 pounds(6weeks?) so this long term relationship with the ladies is different in that respect! Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 76,361 - 76,380 of81,182
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Flaherty Discussions

Search the Flaherty Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min freelancehobo 138,322
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr Whitehair Is Stupid 16,062
Rineyville sewer project (Jul '10) 2 hr WQXE98 3 nd NewsEnterpris 247
Derick W. Ray (Aug '11) 3 hr in touch 23
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 7 hr Boop 918
Who do you support for County Judge / Executive... (Oct '10) 15 hr I Hear Tim H 157
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) Mon Sammy 25,956
•••
•••
•••
•••

Flaherty Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Flaherty People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••