living in lake havasu city

Posted in the Flagstaff Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
melissa

New Baltimore, MI

#1 Apr 19, 2007
my husband and I are planning on moving our family to lake havasu city (from michigan). we have 2 teenage kids, what is it like out there? we have a marine manufacturing and repair business and have had lots of people tell us that relocating to lake havasu would be in our best interest. what's that climate like? cost of living? housing options? any advice is appreciated, thanks!!
mesasdad

AOL

#2 Apr 26, 2007
melissa wrote:
my husband and I are planning on moving our family to lake havasu city (from michigan). we have 2 teenage kids, what is it like out there? we have a marine manufacturing and repair business and have had lots of people tell us that relocating to lake havasu would be in our best interest. what's that climate like? cost of living? housing options? any advice is appreciated, thanks!!
if you like 130 deg heat, tweekers and dirt that will cost you 300,000.00 its a great place!
Motherly advise

Fredericktown, OH

#3 May 1, 2007
Not a great place to take teens. Parties, DRUGS, DRINKING. Arizona also ranks low in education. cost of living extemely high, wages low. I could go on and on. We moved out
BOXER 03

AOL

#4 May 1, 2007
VERY BAD PLACE FOR A TEEN. OUR KIDS GOT INTO NOTHING BUT TROUBLE THERE. WE HAD TO MOVE. DRUGS ARE A HUGE PROBLEM BUT THE TOWN JUST TURNS THERE HEAD. A BAD PLACE TO LIVE.
Iceman

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#5 May 1, 2007
I've lived here for several years. I've lived in Northern NY, Southern Michigan and Southwest Ohio. The drug problem here is no worse then any other town in America. If you take an active roll in raising your children you will have no more of an issue here then you do in Michigan. The cost of housing started to climb 5 to 6 years ago. However over the past year the prices have dropped a little bit and it is a buyers market right now. I don't find the cost of living in food, gas, etc etc to be much different then Ohio where I lived before moving here.
It does get very warm here during the summer but for me it sure beats snow, sleet and freezing rain. Wages are lower here then many other areas of the county but all in all I find it a great place to live. The population has doubled in recent years..so some of us must like it here.
BOXER 03

AOL

#6 May 7, 2007
with the small population of lake havasu there comes a large drug problem. there is a large % of the population living there using. the location including kingman, bullhead has the largest meth problem in the united states.
Havasu Survivor

United States

#7 May 8, 2007
Lake Havasu is not an ideal place to raise teenagers. As a former resident of 19 years I would expect your business may do very well but that could be at the expense of your kids. The city draws recreational boaters from Southern California and the Phoenix area who are generally not the "family" boater but rather the "party" boater and therefore the lake can become very dangerous. The Average nice home is in the range of $300k with summer cooling costs easily running in the $300/month range, city politics is conservative and has had its share of corruption and scandal, and the summers are VERY long and VERY hot, lasting an average of 8 to 9 months. As the town has grown it has attracted gangs and drugs with drive-by shootings and murders becoming more and more common. 20 years ago Havasu was paradise but unfortunately its explosive growth has become its own worst enemy. Have I sold you on it yet? Good luck!
Michigan transplants

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#8 Jun 2, 2007
Though we have no teenagers, we wanted to comment on Lake Havasu City. The people here (unless you're a boater, golfer or off roader) are not friendly. Most are from California and spend pretty much every weekend returning there to visit family, friends, etc. They have no community stake in LHC, so they keep to themselves. We have been here for almost 3 years and have joined a few clubs, had parties, etc. to try to meet new friends and our neighbors. It is a waste of time. We lived in Metro-Detroit and we've never encountered so much coldness in people. In case you think that maybe we have a problem - you're wrong. We have never had a problem making friends until we came here. Life would be so much nicer if people would just try to reach out to others, but it doesn't happen in LHC...at least not in our neighborhood. I would advise you to move to Scottsdale or Phoenix if you want to live in AZ. At least those cities have shopping malls and culture and things to do. Lake Havasu City is in the middle of nowhere and populated with people who could care less about you - unless you're from California. We wish we never would have left Michigan and as soon as the housing market improves, we're out of here. Bye the way, the weather conditions here are extreme! Three months of windy, lows in the mid-30's weather in the winter and months of 120 degree days in the summer. Also, you don't know the meaning of 'dust' until you move into the desert. Water bills here are sky high - ourageous really. Forget turning on a gas pool heater at $400 a month and electricity bills will make you wonder what people in California are complaining about. Pros: low property tax's and homeowner insurance. That's about it. If you want a good meal, stay home or go to Vegas or Phoenix. Sounds pretty bad huh?? It is. Why did we move here? That's what we keep asking ourselves! We thought it would be a nice little small town in AZ and wanted to get away from the snow, etc. We're stuck here until we can sell our home. I say, let the California people buy up all the property and live here. It's a good place for them to live Monday through Friday.
Noir

Parker, AZ

#9 Jun 2, 2007
I live about an hour away from Havasue. While it does have more than our tiny little spit of a town has to offer, I don't believe that the drug/gang problem up there is as bad as any other town out there. LHC to me seems more like a retirement home or a vacation spot for Californians.
JWM

United States

#10 Jun 8, 2007
IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO GROW UP IN T HE 70'S (LHHS '75) BUT LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE-IT CHANGED-NOT FOR THE BETTER.
jae

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#11 Jun 22, 2007
as a teenager in lake havasu, i will say that it is not the best place for teenagers. recently a lot of city planners came in, though, with intentions of redesigning the downtown area. hopefully, that will give kids to do and there will be less of a drug problem. we all know the drug/drinking problem won't be fixed immediately, but honestly? if your kids aren't stupid, they'll be fine. kids at the high school aren't really that nice--i've met people who moved here from other places and say that lhhs is by far the most unfriendly, superficial high school they've attended. but again, your kids will be just fine. i'd rather live here than on the east coast or something where everyone is uptight and doesn't care what you have to say unless you're over the age of 30.
Relocated from CA

United States

#12 Jun 27, 2007
Yes, it's hot in the summer and dusty (it's the desert people). It's gets really windy at times, but whether you will enjoy or not is really going to depend on where you come from and what type of people you are. I moved out here from Southern CA from an area that had not quite "boomed" so to speak. Lake Havasu is a small RESORT town on the verge of big things. The hassle generally comes from those who complain about it not having anything vs. those who don't want to see it grow into it's potential. Yep, 5-6 years ago property prices went through the roof (no pun intended) and it was almost unaffordable to buy anything. But as with any changing area, market changes are to be expected. I have three young kids that I couldn't be happier to be raising them here. And as far as the community, I have never seen a community that will pull together, especially for teens, so well. They make every effort possible to give the children ample opportunity to be involved in various events and programs. It's amazing how much the do for families. I love this town, yes with all of it's pros and cons. But, it is a resort town! Something to consider. Also, as far as the education situation here, the state of AZ has the problem, not just Lake Havasu. With the population beng what it is, our kids have a much better chance than say going to a classroom of 50 students than 20. Drugs are everywhere unfortunately and Havasu has taken steps to include the community in the efforts to help. It's those that like to complain about it that tend not to be first in line!! I recommend contacting the Chamber of Commerce and maybe even take a vacation out here to see the beauty of Lake Havasu yourselves.
I say, Welcome!!
monica

United States

#14 Sep 24, 2007
I would highly recommend LHC!!! I dont know what these folks are about. We have been coming here for years and bought a small vacation home in 1998. We are 56 and 61 respectively with a 15yr old son. We relocated permanently this last year.
My son is in high school and doing much better this year. The school and area is far safer than L.A. was, and he is not involved in drugs, but in the Band.

The neighbors are very nice and the town is friendly. Yes, the a/c bill is high! June-Sept. is about 115/85 daily, but the rest of the year is lovely. I know my son likes it here and is even getting free flying lessons at the airport for helping out! You wouldnt get that in L.A. or Phoenix.

Come on in if you want. You have the kind of business that will do well and the High School is OK.
bill

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#15 Oct 1, 2007
i have lived in LHC for 38 years
i am 47 now have 3 kids all grad's LHC HS 2 in collage at NAU .
you must take part in the comunity to reep a benefit . drugs ??? the same or better than anyplace .
Surprised

United States

#16 Oct 2, 2007
Michigan transplants wrote:
Though we have no teenagers, we wanted to comment on Lake Havasu City. The people here (unless you're a boater, golfer or off roader) are not friendly. Most are from California and spend pretty much every weekend returning there to visit family, friends, etc. They have no community stake in LHC, so they keep to themselves. We have been here for almost 3 years and have joined a few clubs, had parties, etc. to try to meet new friends and our neighbors. It is a waste of time. We lived in Metro-Detroit and we've never encountered so much coldness in people. In case you think that maybe we have a problem - you're wrong. We have never had a problem making friends until we came here. Life would be so much nicer if people would just try to reach out to others, but it doesn't happen in LHC...at least not in our neighborhood. I would advise you to move to Scottsdale or Phoenix if you want to live in AZ. At least those cities have shopping malls and culture and things to do. Lake Havasu City is in the middle of nowhere and populated with people who could care less about you - unless you're from California. We wish we never would have left Michigan and as soon as the housing market improves, we're out of here. Bye the way, the weather conditions here are extreme! Three months of windy, lows in the mid-30's weather in the winter and months of 120 degree days in the summer. Also, you don't know the meaning of 'dust' until you move into the desert. Water bills here are sky high - ourageous really. Forget turning on a gas pool heater at $400 a month and electricity bills will make you wonder what people in California are complaining about. Pros: low property tax's and homeowner insurance. That's about it. If you want a good meal, stay home or go to Vegas or Phoenix. Sounds pretty bad huh?? It is. Why did we move here? That's what we keep asking ourselves! We thought it would be a nice little small town in AZ and wanted to get away from the snow, etc. We're stuck here until we can sell our home. I say, let the California people buy up all the property and live here. It's a good place for them to live Monday through Friday.
Then why did you move here? You knew what it was like before you moved here. Sorry you are so unhappy. Rent your house out to a Californian and leave!
Surprised

United States

#17 Oct 2, 2007
mesasdad wrote:
<quoted text> if you like 130 deg heat, tweekers and dirt that will cost you 300,000.00 its a great place!
It is a wonderful place. You must know these "tweekers". So help us get rid of them. They are EVERYWHERE, it is just that this town is small & you see them more. Go to the Big cities & you will see them also they just blend better in the crowds
Surprised

United States

#18 Oct 2, 2007
Motherly advise wrote:
Not a great place to take teens. Parties, DRUGS, DRINKING. Arizona also ranks low in education. cost of living extemely high, wages low. I could go on and on. We moved out
Excuse me but DRUGS, DRINKING, PARTIES, they are in every town, city & state so wherever you have moved to look it is there also. And the schools they are very hard here!
Surprised

United States

#19 Oct 2, 2007
BOXER 03 wrote:
VERY BAD PLACE FOR A TEEN. OUR KIDS GOT INTO NOTHING BUT TROUBLE THERE. WE HAD TO MOVE. DRUGS ARE A HUGE PROBLEM BUT THE TOWN JUST TURNS THERE HEAD. A BAD PLACE TO LIVE.
No the town does not turn their heads, you just chose not to help. I moved here to get my Teens away from the big city Gangs! and not a day goes by that he says Thank You Mom. If we didn't move I would probably be dead! So think again. What kind of relationship did you have with your kids? Sounds like they did not want to change or maybe they were leaders? What kind of trouble did your kids get into? Did you supervise them? If you did you would have known from the start any problems and you could have stopped them.
Dave

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#20 Oct 4, 2007
Well I'm moving away from Lake Havasu City.It's way to hot and theres no work.If your not a friend of a frind they wont hire you.I have a great resume.But they just wont hire me.
Hub Caps

Tempe, AZ

#21 Oct 13, 2007
Well everyone look out here we come,Need House

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flagstaff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: University Of Sedona (Mar '10) 19 hr Jonathan Stratham 11
Rajneesh (Osho) The Fake Money Hungry Guru 19 hr Satyam Thomas Hof... 1
We need more blacks in Arizona (Mar '08) Sep 27 SLAVE TRADER 23
Any good psychics? Sep 21 Deanof Serene 4
AZ AZ Hunting Amendment, Proposition 109 (Oct '10) Sep 17 Arizonavet 100
Language factors into race for Navajo president Sep 15 Stuart Cudahy 3
Pulic Transportation Sep 11 Roco 3
Flagstaff Dating
Find my Match

Flagstaff Jobs