Tree worker jolted by electrical wire in Lunenburg

Oct 12, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

A tree service worker was injured Saturday morning on Elizabeth Street after a branch he was cutting made contact with a power line.

Comments
21 - 40 of 77 Comments Last updated Oct 31, 2013
Working Stiff

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

You Know Who wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose the scenario that you mapped out DOES happen from time to time. But, it sometimes seems like whenever I see a Fburg cop, they are hanging around an Auto Body Shop or an Auto Repair Shop (I just saw this twice in the last week or so); or, they are parked in JR's parking lot for 45 minutes to an hour doing nothing beyond texting. Or, they are hanging around another of the countless paid details, where they basically ignore traffic, shoot the sh#t with the workers on the site, and use their cell phones.
When is the last time that a Fburg cop died in the line of duty anyways? If it is such a life threatening profession; then why aren't we endlessly reading of another Fburg cop dying while on the job? I am not talking about a motor vehicle mishap; where a Fburg cop is driving like a blooming idiot as he speeds recklessly through our City streets. I am talking about a death while bravely doing their job...has it ever happened at all, in the 200 year or so history of Fburg?
http://www.odmp.org/search/browse/massachuset...

http://www.odmp.org/agency/1263-fitchburg-pol...

Next question dumb dumb ?
You Know Who

Orange, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Working Stiff wrote:
<quoted text>
Auto body shops routinely find drugs and guns hidden in door panels and other areas when they receive a vehicle for repair. So they have to report it.
It's 3 am on Fifth Mass Turnpike (rural area) and you find lowrider with tinted windows and NY plates parked at the edge of the road with 3 people in it. We know from experience and training the backseat middle man is the gunman because that is how they roll.
So now what job is more dangerous? I bet a tree worker would not want to trade places !
Something just doesn't add up...IF I am going to buy the theory that somehow a cop's job is more dangerous than that of a Tree Worker; just how do we explain the fact that the US Bureau of Labor Statistics is posting real live data that states our nation's Tree Workers die on the job at numbers higher than cops do? I would think that because a job results in death more often than another job, it would be a more dangerous job. It only makes sense.

What kind of warped data are you guys using that disregards the factual numbers? What am I missing?
Voter

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Just because less police die on the job vs. a tree worker doesn't mean the tree worker job is more dangerous. You're ignoring a huge fact, which is the amount of training and ongoing training the officer receives versus the tree worker. The tree worker's training is all OJT. Same as the crab fisherman or the lumberjack or the cabbie. They don't go to school, or to a boot camp to learn their job or trade.

Go take a stats class and learn how to understand relationships in data and that correlation does not imply causation.
Working Stiff

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Because they are injured or die from their OWN mistakes and errors or from a co-workers errors that can be prevented. They have the TIME to plan and PREDICT their operations so there is no excuse why a tree worker would get electrocuted unless it is an error on his or his co-workers poor planning.

Cops and firefighters don't have any time to plan ahead. They have to take action within seconds in a situation that is UNPREDICTABLE ! Cops are injured and die from violent situations that are not PREDICTABLE and are not foreseen ahead of time ! Firefighters have no idea what can happen in a burning building.

A dangerous job is not based on numbers it is based on how much control does the worker have over the situation.

If a tree worker needs a few more hours to bring in extra equipment to make the job safe he will do so. This is a safe job, it's the workers mistakes that makes it unsafe.

A cop or firefighter does not have that luxury of time in an emergency situation and this is what makes those jobs the most dangerous.

True dangerous jobs the workers do not have control and cannot predict an outcome unlike a tree worker has!
You Know Who

Orange, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

History has proven that accidents are the leading cause of death for cops. Not getting shot at, or stabbed or beaten to death. If you look at the data for the last 30 years or so, explaining why a cop died on the job; you will plainly see that accidents are the number one reason.

Lets face it, even here in beautiful Massatucky USA, accidents come to mind for many of the recent deaths in Law Enforcement. We had that Mass State Trooper who plowed into a telephone pole while driving like a boob to assist the Saugus (I believe it was Saugus) PD with the low level traffic stop of a girl in her mid twenties who was guilty of texting while driving and nothing more. And, we read about Mass State cops getting plowed into from the rear while parked at another one of their endless and useless lucrative paid details...And, we have read of cops dying while off duty, as they drive like blithering idiots simply because they can.

Sure, we did have that unfortunate death of a cop in Somerville by the paroled convict...Other than, accidents seem to be the leading cause. Again, as is typical in most any year in law enforcement throughout the US.
Voter

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

You Know Who wrote:
History has proven that accidents are the leading cause of death for cops. Not getting shot at, or stabbed or beaten to death. If you look at the data for the last 30 years or so, explaining why a cop died on the job; you will plainly see that accidents are the number one reason.
Lets face it, even here in beautiful Massatucky USA, accidents come to mind for many of the recent deaths in Law Enforcement. We had that Mass State Trooper who plowed into a telephone pole while driving like a boob to assist the Saugus (I believe it was Saugus) PD with the low level traffic stop of a girl in her mid twenties who was guilty of texting while driving and nothing more. And, we read about Mass State cops getting plowed into from the rear while parked at another one of their endless and useless lucrative paid details...And, we have read of cops dying while off duty, as they drive like blithering idiots simply because they can.
Sure, we did have that unfortunate death of a cop in Somerville by the paroled convict...Other than, accidents seem to be the leading cause. Again, as is typical in most any year in law enforcement throughout the US.
You're incorrect, as usual.

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalitie...
Working Stiff

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

You Know Who wrote:
Wrong.
Working Stiff

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

I just went outside and hugged a tree in my front yard. There was even a power line going thru it. Nothing happened.

If I went into a convenience store and hugged a robber with a gun will he just hug me back and smile? I donít think so.

See the difference. One job is unpredictable and the other is. Both are dangerous and one has more fatalities but the other is the most dangerous.
Working Stiff

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

A firefighter goes into a house to extinguish a fire. Illegal propane tanks stored in the home explode and kill the firefighter.

A tree worker notices power lines going thru a tree. He waits, notifies the utility company and has the power cut before trimming the tree.

See the difference? The tree worker has control over the outcome of his job. It is predictable.

The firefighter doesnít control over the outcome. It is unpredictable.

This is what makes cops and firefighters the most dangerous jobs. Not the fatality rate.
Working Stiff

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

You Know Who wrote:
<quoted text>
Something just doesn't add up...IF I am going to buy the theory that somehow a cop's job is more dangerous than that of a Tree Worker; just how do we explain the fact that the US Bureau of Labor Statistics is posting real live data that states our nation's Tree Workers die on the job at numbers higher than cops do? I would think that because a job results in death more often than another job, it would be a more dangerous job. It only makes sense.
What kind of warped data are you guys using that disregards the factual numbers? What am I missing?
So you are saying flying on the space shuttle is safer than being a tree trimmer because they have less fatalities?

See the difference yet? Numbers don't mean anything.
Funny

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

There's stupid and then there is the special brand of stupid You Know Who AKA DarnTooten and Lynch bring to the party.

Do you two know each other? Separated at birth, maybe? Because less than 5% of what you type is actually true or relevant. Your stupidity is to applauded but only because you provide comic relief during the day.
Geez

Hudson, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Your a black gnat,hi Cathy you out there?
ARMY

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

The most dangerous is a SOLDIER giving your freedom to come on here and write your stupid comments. THANK YOU TO ALL SOLDIERS

Golfing

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

Is the most dangerous ask Andrew McDonough who was killed by a golf club
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

Funny wrote:
There's stupid and then there is the special brand of stupid You Know Who AKA DarnTooten and Lynch bring to the party.
Do you two know each other? Separated at birth, maybe? Because less than 5% of what you type is actually true or relevant. Your stupidity is to applauded but only because you provide comic relief during the day.
Let me be honest; Darn tooten makes a lot of sense. He is more intelligent than I. The truth hurts so you attempt to talk about other things and call people names!

We live in reality unlike yourself. You have the sense of grandiose for some reason. You think authority gives you the right to abuse!

You are a liar, you are an idiot and mostly you are just a fresh mouth. You never say anything logically!

You LIE! You ass kiss! You are a trouble maker! Expose who you are out here! AFRAID? WHY?

I want to know why you are afraid, give us your name! You will not because you are SCARED!!!!

I go on Facebook, I say what I feel as others do. GROW SOME!!!
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

Golfing wrote:
Is the most dangerous ask Andrew McDonough who was killed by a golf club
You want to harass with this name! This is your ONLY purpose! You are SICK! Did anyone ever state that I had a golf club??? Did anyone ever state that I killed this person????

You just use his name to harass me and that is it! You are a COWARD! And that is a FACT!

Go to the debate and ask me that question!! Do you think I will hide from you? Do you think I will turn red? Do you think I am afraid????

You have the wrong perception of me! Go FUCK yourself! You are nOTHING but a COWARD!
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

The tag team is out and about! Creeping around and hiding!!LMAO. COWARDS!! LMAO!!!!

I laugh so much when you two come out here! You constantly express how cowardly you are!!! LMAO
ARMY

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

Lynch wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me be honest; Darn tooten makes a lot of sense. He is more intelligent than I. The truth hurts so you attempt to talk about other things and call people names!
We live in reality unlike yourself. You have the sense of grandiose for some reason. You think authority gives you the right to abuse!
You are a liar, you are an idiot and mostly you are just a fresh mouth. You never say anything logically!
You LIE! You ass kiss! You are a trouble maker! Expose who you are out here! AFRAID? WHY?
I want to know why you are afraid, give us your name! You will not because you are SCARED!!!!
I go on Facebook, I say what I feel as others do. GROW SOME!!!
So your a KILLER. Mow tell me you didn't Kill Andrew
You Know Who

Orange, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Working Stiff wrote:
<quoted text>
They are at road details for the safety of the workers only. They are not there to direct traffic. Sorry but many people believe they are there for traffic control and that is totally wrong.
They will stop traffic if needed for the workers to move equipment but that is all they will do. All driver's know how to proceed past a road detail safely. It was a question on your driver's test.
This seems like nothing more than a legalized extortion scheme....any minor roadside utility repair job in the state of Mass requires a cop to be there (earning time and half pay with a 4 hour minimum) JUST IN CASE he is actually needed? And, he isn't even required to direct traffic!
This whole detail scam was forced through in Mass by the powerful Police Unions. It basically serves no purpose whatsover besides fattening the cop's wallet. And, you can rest assured that our lawmen have plenty of time to work these useless and lucrative paid details. With Fburgs lawmen averaging 56 paid days off per year; not counting paid holidays: it leaves each lawman plenty of time to cash in on the free money and still have a sh#tload of vacation time! What a f-ing scam!
You Know Who

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

It must suck being a cop and ordered to work a road construction detail. I would be more like Batman and climbing buildings with my life partner Robin in pursuit of the bad guys.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE