Fitchburg PC shop hit by thieves, again - Sentinel & Enterprise

Jay Blanchard and Steve Smith, of Paul's Plate Glass, were back at A Second Chance PC Depot at 57 Main St. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

Oakham, MA

#1 Mar 9, 2010
Time to relocate to a new location, considering the past problems....
Fed-Up

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Mar 9, 2010
I was at that store on Saturday, It's got great potental but not with the enviroment around it.
Best case is to knock down the building and relocate the business and move the trash elsewhere. Then it would be a prime spot to develop.
Easty target

Haverhill, MA

#3 Mar 9, 2010
If they have broken the window twice then it is time to put up those bars or metal screens that you see. That's the trade off for cheap rent and you KNOW that's the cheap rent district. As for not letting the man use the bathroom..you should have. You could have told him nicely that only this one time since you're not supposed to allow that and I bet he would have respected that. True that nobody should urinate in the store, I understand that but obviously they were angry and felt disrepected for something that could have generated good will. Letting someone use a bathroom that truly needs to use a bathroom is a basic act of kindness. Karma...what goes around comes around.
Jerk B Huge

United States

#4 Mar 9, 2010
Easty target wrote:
If they have broken the window twice then it is time to put up those bars or metal screens that you see. That's the trade off for cheap rent and you KNOW that's the cheap rent district. As for not letting the man use the bathroom..you should have. You could have told him nicely that only this one time since you're not supposed to allow that and I bet he would have respected that. True that nobody should urinate in the store, I understand that but obviously they were angry and felt disrepected for something that could have generated good will. Letting someone use a bathroom that truly needs to use a bathroom is a basic act of kindness. Karma...what goes around comes around.
Plenty of businesses don't have public bathrooms. If this "person" had half a brain and wasn't intoxicated (my assumption) they would have just gone to another store near by. Take a drive through that area. People look like 100 year old zombies!

Since: Mar 09

Leominster, MA

#5 Mar 9, 2010
The nice buildings are simply not targeted as much. Have Metro PCS' windows been broken? Keep your business looking like a craphole and you attract the crap. Place looks like a glorified junkyard from the outside.
To Easty

Leominster, MA

#6 Mar 9, 2010
Easty you are so out of touch. If you let one vagrant use the bathroom the word goes around and before you know it every crack addict in Fitchburg is hanging out on your stoop. Fitchburg is a city full of drugs and criminals. If you are are willing, post your address and we will send them to your toilet. That would be ttrue Karma.
You Know

Holden, MA

#7 Mar 9, 2010
Easty target wrote:
As for not letting the man use the bathroom..you should have.
That's ridiculous. Let one in, let all of them in. The guy clearly had no shame so he should've just done what the rest of the bums do...pee outside!!!
Local Resident

Westborough, MA

#8 Mar 9, 2010
I feel for these business owners. Here they are trying to provide income, pay taxes and compete in today's business environment and they are having to deal with crime issues on a regular basis.

The area is an eyesore, filled with blight and indigents - it is not a conducive environment for running a business. Why would a potential customer want to be subjected to the same harassment as the business owners?

This isn't a police problem, as the PD can't be everywhere at once, but a social and crime issue.

A shame.....:(
A Business Owner

Windham, NH

#9 Mar 9, 2010
Mike from Leominster wrote:
The nice buildings are simply not targeted as much. Have Metro PCS' windows been broken? Keep your business looking like a **** and you attract the ****. Place looks like a glorified junkyard from the outside.
First of all, The business is not a GLORIFIED junkyard. Second of all those to owners work very hard to support the community and bring a inexpensive service to the area. While trying to compete with the area computer stores they are trying to clean up there block and make it flourish.

As far as the man urinating in the store, that man was almost 60 years old and should have accepted the fact that the owner said no and went else where. So grow up people and if you don't have anything nice to say...TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF!
Fed-Up

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Mar 9, 2010
The owner's of the store are very nice and have good plans to expand, However in that area and condition of the building, maybe it's best to knock down the building and start clean. No sense putting lipstick on a pig.
I would invest with the people running the business because of there great service and prices and keeping business in Fitchburg.
Also getting rid of the clinic behind the building a known drug and hooker hang out wouldn't hurt either.
Best of Luck 2nd Chance.
Fizbo

Oakham, MA

#14 Mar 9, 2010
There used to be at least 2 other computer stores in downtown Fitchburg, but they've been gone for several years.....
AJP

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Mar 9, 2010
While the discussion is on local startup businesses, what is with the sketchy "flea market" on Water Street selling car alarms, stereos and other stuff out of a truck in his driveway next to WEIM? There must be zoning laws about opening a business in your front yard. This place is a lot more unsightly than "2nd Chance". Isn't that part of route 12 messy enough?
Shaking My Head

Jamaica Plain, MA

#16 Mar 9, 2010
I don't think Wong has a clue as to what she should be doing to clean up our downtown. Business people like those who own 2nd Chance are paying a high price for her ignorance.
CIT4WhatItIs

Manchester, NH

#17 Mar 10, 2010
Wasn't the "Coalition to save Fitchburg" supposed to be dealing with this? Seems like it didn't take very long for them to go away...
leave

United States

#18 Mar 10, 2010
Welcome to Fitchburg; it we don't up our patrol in this City this is only the beginning....welcome spring and summer! oh yes; they will be up all night while us poor suckers are sleeping to awake to vandalism, robbery and drug dealing they are awake while we sleep! i have bars on my windows! never in a million years in my 50's born and raised here did i ever think it would turn to this. my house is up for sale; i can't wait to get out of here. i understand there is crime no matter where you go; but fitchburg has become ridiculous and the shortage of cops isn't helping. Someone needs to get on the ball and do something.
leave

United States

#19 Mar 10, 2010
AJP wrote:
While the discussion is on local startup businesses, what is with the sketchy "flea market" on Water Street selling car alarms, stereos and other stuff out of a truck in his driveway next to WEIM? There must be zoning laws about opening a business in your front yard. This place is a lot more unsightly than "2nd Chance". Isn't that part of route 12 messy enough?
Ya, i've seen that several times in passing; what is up with that and has anyone ever checked out if these are stolen goods! great place to start retrieving stolen property i would say.
codger

Concord, MA

#20 Mar 10, 2010
Well, so much for trying to bring decent businesses to THAT section of the city.

Fitchburg, MA

#21 Mar 10, 2010
sounds like a typical day in the burg to me

Since: Apr 09

Oakham, MA

#22 Mar 10, 2010
I remember the antiques shop that used to be on Main street, up from the Computer Store. They moved to
Hamilton Street in Leominster, due to crime issues and vagrants causing problems at the Fitchburg address...
Damn Skippy

Windham, NH

#23 Mar 10, 2010
Mike from Leominster wrote:
The nice buildings are simply not targeted as much. Have Metro PCS' windows been broken? Keep your business looking like a **** and you attract the ****. Place looks like a glorified junkyard from the outside.
Yeah I'm sure they broke in because the place needs a paint job, not because there is $35,000 worth of electronics and computers inside...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Storm bad, but it could've been worse 4 hr Outside the box 16
Massachusetts town weighs nation's 1st tobacco ban 4 hr Outside the box 61
New Chief of Police 19 hr sal sulkie 25
Two-alarm fire at Westminster home Wed papabear 1
Lancaster gets Big Belly trash compactor - Sent... (Jul '10) Wed Tammy 8
Cities, towns savoring fuel savings Wed Tammy 9
Oh Kevin for where art thou? Jan 27 Jtn 5

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match