Reader: Traditional marriage is the f...

Reader: Traditional marriage is the foundation of society - Sen...

There are 524 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jul 2, 2008, titled Reader: Traditional marriage is the foundation of society - Sen.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

A political cartoon supporting same-sex marriage appeared recently on the op-ed page.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 27
Next Last
R U Kidding

Worcester, MA

#1 Jul 2, 2008
Yes, you are correct: all sexual behavior is under ones control. However, none of us can control the way we were born. Some of us were born heterosexual, some homosexual. This is not a “choice” as so many of you homo haters seem to believe, it is just the way some people are born.

So if someone who is heterosexual wishes to make a commitment to one person they love and keep all of their sexual behavior within the confines of a marriage they have the right to legally do that.

Why shouldn’t someone who is homosexual have the same right?
MrsSchrute

Nonantum, MA

#2 Jul 2, 2008
The only people who undermine the institution of marriage seem to be straight celebrities and straight young people who want to get married just for the wedding.

Why? Because they marry for fun. They don't have to fight for their right to marry because its automatic. It is really no big deal to them.

To the homosexual couple it IS a big deal. They have to fight for their right to marry. They have to fight for acceptance from people everywhere. Do people that think homosexuality is a choice think that gays and lesbians just say that they gay just because they want to p*ss you off?

The only way to REALLY protect the sanctity of marriage is to make divorce illegal. I don't think its a good idea but it makes much more sense than banning people who love each other from getting married in the first place.

Furthermore - how is YOUR opinion the "common good". I believe that people who love each other are the "common good".

1noteasilyfooled

“Fundie SMACKER..”

Since: Mar 08

Sunshine city, St Petersburg

#3 Jul 2, 2008
MrsSchrute wrote:
The only people who undermine the institution of marriage seem to be straight celebrities and straight young people who want to get married just for the wedding.
Why? Because they marry for fun. They don't have to fight for their right to marry because its automatic. It is really no big deal to them.
To the homosexual couple it IS a big deal. They have to fight for their right to marry. They have to fight for acceptance from people everywhere. Do people that think homosexuality is a choice think that gays and lesbians just say that they gay just because they want to p*ss you off?
The only way to REALLY protect the sanctity of marriage is to make divorce illegal. I don't think its a good idea but it makes much more sense than banning people who love each other from getting married in the first place.
Furthermore - how is YOUR opinion the "common good". I believe that people who love each other are the "common good".
Agreed!

Since: Jul 07

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Jul 2, 2008
If 2 people of the same gender getting married somehow affects the 'institution of marriage' and affects families then the institution and families are already beyond saving.
If pretending that suddenly allowing 2 people of the same gender to get married will open the door to polygamy is an argument against same sex marriage they are wrong. It actually is an argument for same sex marriage. What they are saying is that gays need to be discriminated against to prevent polygamy. Not sure this would hold up in court.
If this person wants to actually make some points they might actually get beyond the usual sound bytes and into some more feasible details of their argument. Of course no one has ever gotten past the sound bytes.
It would also help if heterosexuals actually showed some real interest in saving marriage and straightened(no pun intended) up their act.
Interested Reader

New York, NY

#6 Jul 2, 2008
"Cakes will survive, but can the same be said for orderly society if its foundation, traditional marriage -- the union of a man and a woman as the basis of family -- is undermined?"

You have GOT to be kidding me Mr. Saudelli. The foundation of an "orderly society" is "traditional" marriage?

Hmmm. Let's see.

Adolph Hitler entered into a "traditional" marriage. And how "orderly" was society at that time in history?

Certainly this is one extreme (to say the least) example, but it is a valid data point.

An orderly society should not be built upon defining the union of a man an a woman. It should be defined upon the respect of, consistent consideration, and equal treatment of our fellow man (not to be confused with gender, as I'm sure someone will point out...)

1noteasilyfooled

“Fundie SMACKER..”

#7 Jul 2, 2008
aren't most married 'swingers''traditionally' married?
Ajay

Clinton, MA

#8 Jul 2, 2008
I think that marriage, as the foundation of society, applies more towards the family unit and raising children. Our shortcomings as a society stems from a weakening family structure... not from allowing gays to marry.
Perhaps we should set standards on couples (any type of couples) for having children. Which is destroying the foundation more quickly; gays or single parents?
Hawk

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jul 2, 2008
If it is "the foundation of society" and it stands at something along the lines of 50% success rate, the foundation is crumbling. Better let Gays Marry to increase that number!
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Jul 2, 2008
I remember going to a friends friend's wedding...we arrived late, and had to wait in the back of the church...the bride and her matrons were getting ready to proceed down the isle...her bridesmaid turn to her and said "Are you sure this is what you want"?...her response with NO thought,was "I can always get a divorce".....hmmmmm...so much for a $$30K wedding and the sanctity of marriage.
MrsSchrute

Nonantum, MA

#11 Jul 2, 2008
Hawk wrote:
If it is "the foundation of society" and it stands at something along the lines of 50% success rate, the foundation is crumbling. Better let Gays Marry to increase that number!
Actually, I read an article the other day that said the divorce rate has dropped to around 30% or so. Perhaps that drop has something to do with the few states that do allow gay marriage? Who knows?

But yeah - STRAIGHT marriage is ruining the sanctity of marriage.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#12 Jul 2, 2008
So far I have yet to see one fundie give any reason on how gay marriage is going to wreck society. We keep hearing them say it will but yet they have not given us one iota of an example on how so. Trying to say it'll lead to people marrying kids and animals doesn't cut it. This letter writer is of the same ilk - he goes on and on but yet doesn't offer one slice of proof.
Lois

Burlington, MA

#13 Jul 4, 2008
When it comes to marriage, all couples should have the same rights and privilidges. They should adhere to all the same rules and should have all the same benefits. There should not be any exceptions and nor should there be addendums to this except if any couple wants a prenuptual agreement. That should be the only addendum to any marriage that wants it.

Homosexual marriages are no more damaging for society than Heterosexual marriages.

Quietly agree to disagree and Let People Live.
DAVE

Berlin, MA

#14 Jul 4, 2008
Another ingnorant fool with nothing else but time o his hands. What if your daughter or sone were gay? What then, would yor views change? I think they would

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#15 Jul 4, 2008
Disgusted American wrote:
I remember going to a friends friend's wedding...we arrived late, and had to wait in the back of the church...the bride and her matrons were getting ready to proceed down the isle...her bridesmaid turn to her and said "Are you sure this is what you want"?...her response with NO thought,was "I can always get a divorce".....hmmmmm...so much for a $$30K wedding and the sanctity of marriage.
If that is not enough to make one toss their cookies, look at the "just for fun" 1st marriage of Britney Spears in Vegas. Getting married on a bet is what "the institution of marriage" has been reduced to.
Fort Myers

Fort Myers, FL

#16 Jul 4, 2008
The only answer is for heterosexuals to ban pro-homosexual states and corporations. Start with California and Massachusetts. Buy NOTHING from them. Let their products rot on the shelf. Money is the only thing these activist judges listen to.

1noteasilyfooled

“Fundie SMACKER..”

#17 Jul 4, 2008
Fort Myers wrote:
blah blah blah..
Your just SO unhappy aren't ya? Sucks to be you!

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#18 Jul 4, 2008
Fort Myers wrote:
The only answer is for heterosexuals to ban pro-homosexual states and corporations. Start with California and Massachusetts. Buy NOTHING from them. Let their products rot on the shelf. Money is the only thing these activist judges listen to.
I live in Florida and we were thinking of going on vacation locally. Once gay marriage opened up, off to San Francisco we go. For 4 wonderful days, we will get married, buy lots of stuff in the city, eat at some of the best restaurants, and enjoy Northern California. You want to BOYCOTT, then go ahead, but the only state that is losing out in this money is my home state. We passed up Walt Disney World and SeaWorld for this.
Fort Myers

Fort Myers, FL

#19 Jul 4, 2008
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in Florida and we were thinking of going on vacation locally. Once gay marriage opened up, off to San Francisco we go. For 4 wonderful days, we will get married, buy lots of stuff in the city, eat at some of the best restaurants, and enjoy Northern California. You want to BOYCOTT, then go ahead, but the only state that is losing out in this money is my home state. We passed up Walt Disney World and SeaWorld for this.
You should just stay there. Its more suited for your kind and your "marriage".

1noteasilyfooled

“Fundie SMACKER..”

#20 Jul 4, 2008
Fort Myers wrote:
<quoted text>
You should just stay there. Its more suited for your kind and your "marriage".
Sorry but it's YOUR kind that gonna get 'run' out.. start packing, I hear there's a plane leaving NY for tehran daily.
Lois

Nashua, NH

#21 Jul 4, 2008
Best of luck to you!
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fitchburg motorcycle cops 6 hr Reality Lover 22
Another Monday Has Come And Gone 19 hr The Midnight Crapper 25
News Lunenburg woman charged in $161 grocery theft (Oct '16) May 22 Jimminy Crickets 8
News Ex-Realtor charged with allegedly bilking clien... (Jun '09) May 22 Green16 19
Scott Bonnevie (Sep '14) May 18 Madman 7
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) May 18 Captain Crunch 428
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) May 17 Darn Tootin 3

Fitchburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages