FSU hires first female police chief

Mar 21, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Fitchburg State University President Robert Antonucci named Karen J. Leary on Friday to become the first female police chief of the campus police force.

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Mar 24, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 22, 2014
 
FITCHBURG -- Fitchburg State University President Robert Antonucci on Friday named Karen J. Leary to become the first female police chief of the campus police force.

Leary, who has served as deputy chief of police and deputy director of public safety at Simmons College since July 2011, was selected after a lengthy search by a committee that included representatives from the university and the Fitchburg Police Department.

In a statement, Antonucci said Leary brings "rich and varied experience" to the job.

"She understands the evolving role of campus police in university life and is ideally suited to bring our department to the next level," he said.

Leary said she is looking forward to bringing her public-safety philosophy to the university.

"I welcome this opportunity to work with a talented professional police organization and an administration that believes in collaboration and community engagement," she said.

Leary will start her new job on April 14. She will earn $104,000.

Prior to working at Simmons, Leary spent nine years at Massachusetts General Hospital, where she was an investigative supervisor and later senior manager of investigations. She also worked for nearly two years as an investigator with the state Office of the Attorney General in Boston. She has also taught at the high school and college level.

Leary has a master's degree in forensic science from the University of New Haven and a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Westfield State University. She has an associate of science degree in business administration from Holyoke Community College.

She succeeds James Hamel, who retired in December after 40 years with the campus police force.

After Hamel's retirement, the department was managed by Lt. Michael Marcil until his unexpected death in late January at the age of 51. Since then, Lt. Benjamin McDonald has served as acting chief.

The university received more than 50 applications for the chief's job. The search committee evaluated applicants and developed a slate of semi-finalists, each of whom was brought to the campus for daylong interview sessions with members of the search committee and other campus constituencies.

Feedback from the interviews was given to the search committee, whereupon the list was reduced to two finalists. Each of those candidates completed a daylong evaluation by an outside consultant specializing in public safety. Finally, both finalists underwent a comprehensive background check conducted by a second outside firm.

The university president evaluated all of the gathered data and made a selection.

The Fitchburg State University Campus Police Department includes a chief, two lieutenants, one sergeant, 13 officers, three full-time dispatchers and a reserve officer.

The department operates 24 hours a day. Its officers are fully trained, licensed and armed as special state police officers under Massachusetts General Law.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 22, 2014
 
There's a lesson to be learned here for both the city and the Mayor.

Unlike the city and Mayor, notice how the university president made his final selection "AFTER" the comprehensive background check of the candidates? This is how it's done to protect peoples reputations and to avoid the embarrassment of having to start the hiring process all over again and waist taxpayer's money.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Stamos wrote:
There's a lesson to be learned here for both the city and the Mayor.
Unlike the city and Mayor, notice how the university president made his final selection "AFTER" the comprehensive background check of the candidates? This is how it's done to protect peoples reputations and to avoid the embarrassment of having to start the hiring process all over again and waist taxpayer's money.
For the spell checkers, that was suppose to be "waste" taxpayer's money.
Civil Servant Supporter

Winchendon, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Stamos wrote:
<quoted text>For the spell checkers, that was suppose to be "waste" taxpayer's money.
And for the grammar checkers among us, it's "taxpayers' money." But anyway Stamos, your making you're point good! Oh yes you is! You is a great contributor to this fine institution we's a call a city here!

Lunch, today Stamos? Howzabout the Korean restaurant? They's all probably legal anyway, so no catchems and sendsems back in that place. But if we head over to Choppy Stix we'll probably get us a couple of illegals there. I like Szechuan food! BUT you better have a green card to cook it good.

OR you could just buy me those hot dogs you promised.

See you, Stamos!
Jtn

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 22, 2014
 
This lady resembles Robin Bowen theVP are they sisters?
Harrison

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

Civil Servant Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
And for the grammar checkers among us, it's "taxpayers' money." But anyway Stamos, your making you're point good! Oh yes you is! You is a great contributor to this fine institution we's a call a city here!
Lunch, today Stamos? Howzabout the Korean restaurant? They's all probably legal anyway, so no catchems and sendsems back in that place. But if we head over to Choppy Stix we'll probably get us a couple of illegals there. I like Szechuan food! BUT you better have a green card to cook it good.
OR you could just buy me those hot dogs you promised.
See you, Stamos!
Shouldn't you be taking a count right now?
Scoop

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Stamos wrote:
There's a lesson to be learned here for both the city and the Mayor.
Unlike the city and Mayor, notice how the university president made his final selection "AFTER" the comprehensive background check of the candidates? This is how it's done to protect peoples reputations and to avoid the embarrassment of having to start the hiring process all over again and waist taxpayer's money.
They had the background check but it didn't list the sealed case or past charges because he was not convicted.

But the applicant was instructed to disclose ALL information about his background and that means sealed cases and past charges which he did not disclose. He did not follow the rules.

There will always be City/Mayor haters. So if he became Chief and his past was found out later on then the City/Mayor would be blamed.

The City/Mayor should be praised for NOT hiring him and actually finding out more about his past than he disclosed. His past was not the issue, it was he did NOT disclose his past and that tells a lot about his character.

It isn't wasting taxpayers money, the search company is getting paid the same amount whether they do one or a hundred rounds of searching.

The city had already thought of this and the possibility that they may have to repeat the process numerous times. They do not receive any more money for extra searches.

Most searches will involve several rounds. Not just one anyways.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 22, 2014
 
Scoop wrote:
<quoted text>
They had the background check but it didn't list the sealed case or past charges because he was not convicted.
But the applicant was instructed to disclose ALL information about his background and that means sealed cases and past charges which he did not disclose. He did not follow the rules.
There will always be City/Mayor haters. So if he became Chief and his past was found out later on then the City/Mayor would be blamed.
The City/Mayor should be praised for NOT hiring him and actually finding out more about his past than he disclosed. His past was not the issue, it was he did NOT disclose his past and that tells a lot about his character.
It isn't wasting taxpayers money, the search company is getting paid the same amount whether they do one or a hundred rounds of searching.
The city had already thought of this and the possibility that they may have to repeat the process numerous times. They do not receive any more money for extra searches.
Most searches will involve several rounds. Not just one anyways.
I have no clue where you get your information from but It's wrong. It's been reported that the background check was not complete when she made her decision and suspended the process.

"Ms. Wong told councilors via email Tuesday of her decision to withdraw her nomination and said she had suspended contract negotiations and completion of his background check and would re-advertise the position."

"After rising to be the top candidate in an intense, six-month process, Heagney said he felt Wong owed it to him to complete his background investigation."
Nope

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 22, 2014
 
The obvious question I suppose would be if she has so many credentials and she is qualified to be such a great leader of a police force why wasn't she after the empty city police chief job?
Confused

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 22, 2014
 
Scoop wrote:
<quoted text>
They had the background check but it didn't list the sealed case or past charges because he was not convicted.
But the applicant was instructed to disclose ALL information about his background and that means sealed cases and past charges which he did not disclose. He did not follow the rules.
There will always be City/Mayor haters. So if he became Chief and his past was found out later on then the City/Mayor would be blamed.
The City/Mayor should be praised for NOT hiring him and actually finding out more about his past than he disclosed. His past was not the issue, it was he did NOT disclose his past and that tells a lot about his character.
It isn't wasting taxpayers money, the search company is getting paid the same amount whether they do one or a hundred rounds of searching.
The city had already thought of this and the possibility that they may have to repeat the process numerous times. They do not receive any more money for extra searches.
Most searches will involve several rounds. Not just one anyways.


How was he qualified to be the agent in charge of an ATF office but not the city of fitchburg police department? You don't think the FBI looked into these allegations when they did his background check? Or was Fitchburg able to find something the FBI missed??
Jtn

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Nope wrote:
The obvious question I suppose would be if she has so many credentials and she is qualified to be such a great leader of a police force why wasn't she after the empty city police chief job?
her degrees and background are not impressive. It's PC to hire a woman.
Scoop

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 22, 2014
 
Stamos wrote:
<quoted text> I have no clue where you get your information from but It's wrong. It's been reported that the background check was not complete when she made her decision and suspended the process.
"Ms. Wong told councilors via email Tuesday of her decision to withdraw her nomination and said she had suspended contract negotiations and completion of his background check and would re-advertise the position."
"After rising to be the top candidate in an intense, six-month process, Heagney said he felt Wong owed it to him to complete his background investigation."
The background check was complete but it did not include past charges and the sealed case because a background does NOT includes those. He was informed at the beginning of the process to disclose ALL information of his past criminal history if there is any.
The Mayor requested a more extensive background check when she got the letter but found out that those charges and sealed case still will not appear.
At the beginning of the process he was responsible to inform the search committee so they can contact any of the entities involving in his past criminal cases that would NOT show up on a background check to complete the process.
The candidate only supplied the information after he was notified of the letter.
Again, he DID NOT DISCLOSE all of his past criminal history.
Scoop

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

Confused wrote:
<quoted text>
How was he qualified to be the agent in charge of an ATF office but not the city of fitchburg police department? You don't think the FBI looked into these allegations when they did his background check? Or was Fitchburg able to find something the FBI missed??
He informed the ATF of his past criminal history about circumstances that would NOT show up on a background check because they would have asked him during a polygraph if there was something that will not show up.

He did not do that with the search committee for the city.
Scoop

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

Nope wrote:
The obvious question I suppose would be if she has so many credentials and she is qualified to be such a great leader of a police force why wasn't she after the empty city police chief job?
It is an easy career as a college Chief without the headaches. She will last longer as a college campus police Chief.

Remember most city Police Chiefs only last 3-5 years.
Civil Servant Supporter

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 22, 2014
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Scoop, are you a mongoloid? Or are you a LEO? Actually, that's a redundant question, isn't it?
XBox

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 23, 2014
 
After seeing her pic she looks exactly like what I want for a police chief. If a student messes up she will probably send them for a 'timeout' and smother them with milk and cookies.
Scoop

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 23, 2014
 
Civil Servant Supporter wrote:
Scoop, are you a mongoloid? Or are you a LEO? Actually, that's a redundant question, isn't it?
I see your genes didn't make it too far up the evolutionary ladder.

You can't fix stupidity.

You keep thinking you know all the answers because that is what entertains the employees in the public safety division.

People like yourself make a great lunch time conversation in the break rooms.
Andrea

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 23, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

XBox wrote:
After seeing her pic she looks exactly like what I want for a police chief. If a student messes up she will probably send them for a 'timeout' and smother them with milk and cookies.
timeouts and men hating
Civil Servant Supporter

Winchendon, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 24, 2014
 
Stamos wrote:
FITCHBURG -- Fitchburg State University President Robert Antonucci on Friday named Karen J. Leary to become the first female police chief of the campus police force.
Leary, who has served as deputy chief of police and deputy director of public safety at Simmons College since July 2011, was selected after a lengthy search by a committee that included representatives from the university and the Fitchburg Police Department.
In a statement, Antonucci said Leary brings "rich and varied experience" to the job.
"She understands the evolving role of campus police in university life and is ideally suited to bring our department to the next level," he said.
Leary said she is looking forward to bringing her public-safety philosophy to the university.
"I welcome this opportunity to work with a talented professional police organization and an administration that believes in collaboration and community engagement," she said.
Leary will start her new job on April 14. She will earn $104,000.
Prior to working at Simmons, Leary spent nine years at Massachusetts General Hospital, where she was an investigative supervisor and later senior manager of investigations. She also worked for nearly two years as an investigator with the state Office of the Attorney General in Boston. She has also taught at the high school and college level.
Leary has a master's degree in forensic science from the University of New Haven and a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Westfield State University. She has an associate of science degree in business administration from Holyoke Community College.
She succeeds James Hamel, who retired in December after 40 years with the campus police force.
After Hamel's retirement, the department was managed by Lt. Michael Marcil until his unexpected death in late January at the age of 51. Since then, Lt. Benjamin McDonald has served as acting chief.
The university received more than 50 applications for the chief's job. The search committee evaluated applicants and developed a slate of semi-finalists, each of whom was brought to the campus for daylong interview sessions with members of the search committee and other campus constituencies.
Feedback from the interviews was given to the search committee, whereupon the list was reduced to two finalists. Each of those candidates completed a daylong evaluation by an outside consultant specializing in public safety. Finally, both finalists underwent a comprehensive background check conducted by a second outside firm.
The university president evaluated all of the gathered data and made a selection.
The Fitchburg State University Campus Police Department includes a chief, two lieutenants, one sergeant, 13 officers, three full-time dispatchers and a reserve officer.
The department operates 24 hours a day. Its officers are fully trained, licensed and armed as special state police officers under Massachusetts General Law.
Stamos! Have you warend the new chief about the dangerous felon who lives in the college neighborhood? Well, you had better. It's your duty, Stamos! Let us know what she says.
Civil Is a homo

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 24, 2014
 
Warend? What is that, some sort of homosexual code word? Hey Lynch or Gomez, looks like you've got a friend in Civil.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Fitchburg Forum right now

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) 3 hr jimmietsen 4,698
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 3 hr Dale Craven 1,152
Market Basket ready to hire 7 hr Gomez 1
Can someone tell me who mr greenjeans is ? 7 hr Karen 4
Suicide-prevention motorcycle ride is set for A... 23 hr Njtn 5
FHS cohort attends leadership conference Wed pedro 4
a holes Tue Sonny 12
•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••