Confirmation hearing for new Fitchburg police chief postponed

Mar 18, 2014 Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise 18

A Thursday City Council meeting scheduled to confirm Mayor Lisa Wong's selection of Scott Heagney as the new chief has been postponed indefinitely after a background check on Heagney did not arrive on time.

Full Story
Jtn

Concord, MA

#1 Mar 18, 2014
I knew it,bad candidate, going Madame mayor
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#2 Mar 18, 2014
Something isnít right and the Mayor isnít saying. Part of the initial search and when they become finalists is to already have a completed background check in hand.

The city should fire and get their money back from that outside consulting agency that picked the candidates.
Jtn

Concord, MA

#3 Mar 18, 2014
Scoop wrote:
Something isnít right and the Mayor isnít saying. Part of the initial search and when they become finalists is to already have a completed background check in hand.
The city should fire and get their money back from that outside consulting agency that picked the candidates.
agreed and why Wong give him the job without the background check,fire her while your at it.
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#4 Mar 18, 2014
Wong just decides which she thinks is the best candidate out of the finalists. The police and all city departments require a background check on a potential employee before they can be officially hired. Even the Mayor had a background check and had to pass it before being sworn in. Even though it is an elected position she still had to pass a background check.

The police did not have any part in the selection process so they would not know if the city obtained a background check beforehand. But when it came time to file his paper work there wasn't one.

I'm sure the private company doing the search will reimburse the city for their services. The other candidates probably didn't have background checks either. This should have been the first step in the process.
Nancy y

Concord, MA

#5 Mar 18, 2014
Scoop wrote:
Wong just decides which she thinks is the best candidate out of the finalists. The police and all city departments require a background check on a potential employee before they can be officially hired. Even the Mayor had a background check and had to pass it before being sworn in. Even though it is an elected position she still had to pass a background check.
The police did not have any part in the selection process so they would not know if the city obtained a background check beforehand. But when it came time to file his paper work there wasn't one.
I'm sure the private company doing the search will reimburse the city for their services. The other candidates probably didn't have background checks either. This should have been the first step in the process.
oh stop making excuses for wing Wong,she hired the search company and is incompetent,just ask Jtn,he knows her
Wong is Awful

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Mar 18, 2014
Actually, the offer to the ATF Agent has been withdrawn.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20140318/NEWS...

The search is on again.
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#7 Mar 18, 2014
Oh, where are all the new police chief supporters now? Wasn't this the guy that will save Fitchburg?

Cmon, lets see those posts supporting the ATF agent now, where are they?

Hahahahahahahaha.

The candidate wanted a lot more money in his contract then was offered and his background check never arrived.

I have a feeling the pro new police chief band wagon jumpers will keep their mouths shut for now on.
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#8 Mar 18, 2014
Cmon people let's hear it!

Give me an "A"

Give me a "T"

Give me an "F"

No?

Give me lots of money to move to Fitchburg? YES !

Still very quiet, no comment boys and girls?
You Know Who

Orange, VA

#10 Mar 19, 2014
I, for one, find this turn of events very disappointing indeed. I really thought that this candidate had a chance of sorting out the misfits, the 8 balls, the malcontents, the crime enablers and the do nothings currently on the Force.

By golly, we need someone to roll into town, sit down in the Chief's chair and sort out our boys once and for all.....
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#11 Mar 19, 2014
Fact checker wrote:
Madame Mayor dropped the ball in this one. C'mon people, the guy's a fed he had to have an extensive background check just to get hired by them. From what I know, this isn't about money it's about the Mayor being a micro manager and not being able to play well with others.... I think she was afraid the guy would actually stand up to her and support the cops for once.
No, once he became the finalist then and only then can a contract be discussed with the Mayor. It is NOT part of the selection process because money/salary should not be a factor when choosing the right candidate. Money/salary can sway a selection committee so that factor is always eliminated from the selection process. It is not discussed with the selection agency.

This is so a candidate that doesn't have any credentials cannot be selected because they are willing to work for nothing compared to a candidate that has the top credentials but wants a larger salary.

The ATF agent wanted DeMoura's salary as a STARTING salary with several large increases within a short time.

No big deal for the ATF agent, there are other communities in the country that may swallow the hook and land him that $200K+ a year.

Sorry folks, it's all about the money and it's a business just like a professional athlete looking for more money and may ending up moving to another team.
Andrea

Concord, MA

#12 Mar 19, 2014
Scoop wrote:
<quoted text>
No, once he became the finalist then and only then can a contract be discussed with the Mayor. It is NOT part of the selection process because money/salary should not be a factor when choosing the right candidate. Money/salary can sway a selection committee so that factor is always eliminated from the selection process. It is not discussed with the selection agency.
This is so a candidate that doesn't have any credentials cannot be selected because they are willing to work for nothing compared to a candidate that has the top credentials but wants a larger salary.
The ATF agent wanted DeMoura's salary as a STARTING salary with several large increases within a short time.
No big deal for the ATF agent, there are other communities in the country that may swallow the hook and land him that $200K+ a year.
Sorry folks, it's all about the money and it's a business just like a professional athlete looking for more money and may ending up moving to another team.
you are smart,you should be the mayor.
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#13 Mar 19, 2014
Andrea wrote:
<quoted text>you are smart,you should be the mayor.
Doesn't pay enough !
You Know Who

Orange, VA

#14 Mar 19, 2014
Scoop wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree: this is all about money.

Sadly, the $147k per year that this gig pays is viewed as a paltry sum by those in Law Enforcement these days. Even here is beautiful Fitchburg, we have plain old ordinary lawmen who routinely clear $100k pey year. not that they are skilled at their craft. Simply because of all the paid details and the countless stipends that go along with the job. And, most Mass State cops easily blow by $147k per year, as they dooze off in their cruisers on the side of the road in another one of those useless paid details.

Sadly, the pay for our nation's cops has spun grossly out of control. Cops are now some of the biggest wage earners in most states.

To have potential candidates quickly dismissing the idea of leading our boys for the annual salary of $147k because it is a low paying job just drives my point home.....
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#15 Mar 19, 2014
Too many people watch tv shows and read about motivational and inspiring stories of how a new Chief took over a community and painted the dark grey gloomy skies with pretty rainbows and everything was perfect again.

Sure that may have happened a FEW times but let's get back to reality.

Fitchburg is one of a thousand communities looking for a Police Chief. Departments get notices from all over the country that lists an opening for a Police Chief and if any member is interested the posting tells you how to apply.

We have had our own retired officers take Police Chief's positions on the other side of the country and down south.

Most if not all outside candidates will want a very large salary, much larger than DeMoura's. Why?

Because they DON'T need the job anyways !

They figure if the community is willing to pay them what they want then maybe they will take the position. They don't really want to relocate and want the job anyways.

The average candidate will have sent out 50-100 applications for open Police Chief positions throughout the country.

Here is just one website with many more other sites that can be found listing Police Chief jobs:

http://careercenter.discoverpolicing.org/c/se...
You Know Who

Orange, VA

#16 Mar 19, 2014
You ARE RIGHT. If they are retired cops, chances are EXTREMELY HIGH that they aren't having any cash flow problems.....

The way this Country pays retirement benefits to our retired lawmen, the idea of working again for a measley $147k per year doesn't even catch their interest...sad, but true....
Scoop

Gardner, MA

#17 Mar 19, 2014
You Know Who wrote:
You ARE RIGHT. If they are retired cops, chances are EXTREMELY HIGH that they aren't having any cash flow problems.....
The way this Country pays retirement benefits to our retired lawmen, the idea of working again for a measley $147k per year doesn't even catch their interest...sad, but true....
And right now we have the State Police helicopter searching for a bank robber that just held up Workers Credit Union.

That should raise the price of taking the Chief's position.
DeShawan Cutler

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Mar 19, 2014
How come the Fitchburg cops don't have a helicopter?
Jtn

Concord, MA

#19 Mar 19, 2014
DeShawan Cutler wrote:
How come the Fitchburg cops don't have a helicopter?
they are not smart enough to fly it and too busy working details to help a Wong loose weight .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A change of culture at Fitchburg Police Dept. -... (Nov '10) 32 min Elliot Ness 269
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 1 hr The Insider 71
davd gould 15 hr oahu 6
Fattman cries foul over defaced signs 16 hr Tammy 37
This time I really mean it. Really. 18 hr Voters want to know 7
Interesting Facts About Mr Lynch 21 hr Insider Info 1
Current Fitchburg Wed The Real Story 8

Flood Warning for Worcester County was issued at October 23 at 10:40AM EDT

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match

Fitchburg Jobs

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE