Fitchburg's untold story: It's the cultural center of region - ...

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Many people think Fitchburg is just another old mill town. Those who do, however, should reconsider, for Fitchburg is far more than an old mill town.
Comments
21 - 36 of 36 Comments Last updated Jul 25, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Distraction

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2010

pos wrote:
i couldn't even read that whole article,, as a fitchburg resident since 1950, i had to laugh so hard i couldn't keep reading,,, Fitchburg has become the ghost towns of the Old West. Streets look more like cattle paths, and the saloon owner,(wong) and cohorts are the only well dressed in town. You gotta be kidding,, SLumburg will , always was, and always will be Slumburg. Wow,,, wake up and smell the coffee.
Well, the article was about the Cultural aspects of the City, not knowing what that means could be the beginning of the problem.
Kevin from Fitchburg

Belmont, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2010

It is going to be a good year in Fitchburg! The mayors' mind is set on bringing in business to Fitchburg. Don't fool yourself, this is very plausible!
Fitchburg state has committed to building a science building at the school. We may see a boost in "legal" pharmecuetical companies setting up shop in Fitchburg!
2010 is the year for JOBS! Local factories setting up shop!We need to put the pressure on the councilmen to speak to Unitil about relaxing their rates for atleast businesses!
We all need to brainstorm ideas on how to bring in businesses. With a boost our culteral and art gallerys' will see a boost. Go visit one of the new shops in town on main street. I looked through the window at night, there is allot of beutiful art for sale.I am going to treat myself to a painting this month.
Walk around Main street! The Mayor implemented funds to go for more patrols on main st. although none of us have seen ANY, maybe that will change.
There are allot of undiscovered treasures in downtown Fitchburg! Go check them out! When spring hits I believe we will see more fairs downtown which I believe is crucial for our community! Have pride in your surrounding neighborhood; point out the good!
Down Town

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2010

Great article Andrienne, no one can deny the well established cultural connections that Fitchburg has enjoyed throughout its history. After reading your article I began to think about how that history is still influencing the arts and cultural environment in the city today. I began to put together a list of some of the current “arts” connections that the city enjoys today and was quite surprised at the number. What once was……still lives.
geezer

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2010

Distraction wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the article was about the Cultural aspects of the City, not knowing what that means could be the beginning of the problem.
Knowing what the cultural values are, and seeing what surrounds them is, I believe, what was referred to. All this nice historical stuff serves no purpose if you are mugged by some crack head trying to find it.
Mushroom Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2010

truffles wrote:
Husband grew up in Fitchburg and decided that his goal was to leave the city as it was depressing, dirty, a cultural vacuum, and that was in the 1970's. Today he claims it was the best move he has ever made\. Today it is more depressing, dirtier and over populated with minorities whose contributions are nil.
and your husbands point of view should be trusted? He married you, that is certainly more depressing than living in Fitchburg. Go crawl back under your rock, you pathetic little girl!
agatha

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2010

...and don't forget that dance as art and education has been a strong part of the culture of the city over the past century. believe it or not, January 18th is officially "Marion Rice Day" in both Fitchburg and Leominster because of Ms. Rice's devotion to teaching dance as art, including Denishawn Dance and Ballroom, to almost every resident of this town and surrounding areas; including many prominent leaders. That in itself is quite special and unique.
Concerned

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2010

agatha wrote:
...and don't forget that dance as art and education has been a strong part of the culture of the city over the past century. believe it or not, January 18th is officially "Marion Rice Day" in both Fitchburg and Leominster because of Ms. Rice's devotion to teaching dance as art, including Denishawn Dance and Ballroom, to almost every resident of this town and surrounding areas; including many prominent leaders. That in itself is quite special and unique.
WOW!! I was not aware of that at all!! I wonder if our city will do anything at all to acknowledge that fact. Marion Rice Dance Studio was an incredibly popular attraction in this city. In any case, dance lives on. I count three active "theater groups" in town. Am I correct?
scott

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

fitchburg needs an enema fitchburg is pretty much all ghetto i cant wait till i move out of fitchburg its drug and gang ridden hookers everywhere for christ sake a 12 year old boy invaded his 62 year old neighbors house armed with a gun i beleive and rapped her fitchburg blows to say the very least fitchburg is good if you are lookin for a hooker or some crack i strongly advise not livin there
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

scott wrote:
fitchburg needs an enema fitchburg is pretty much all ghetto i cant wait till i move out of fitchburg its drug and gang ridden hookers everywhere for christ sake a 12 year old boy invaded his 62 year old neighbors house armed with a gun i beleive and rapped her fitchburg blows to say the very least fitchburg is good if you are lookin for a hooker or some crack i strongly advise not livin there
Ok, lets break it down. How many hookers in Fitchburg? 20 Maybe? So, due to 20 out of 40,000 plus people you label the city?

How many gangbangers in fitchburg? 100 Maybe? So, because of these 120 people that you do not desire, you label Fitchburg?

Fitchburg has had great skaters, hockey players,basketball, baseball players, artist and actors that has gone on to great heights and achievements. Fitchburg has produced business men.

Yes, I agree that somethings need to get batter. I feel that this is possible if we can create a stronger sense of community that involves everyone.

Hopefully the city will celebrate Christams/holiday season this year downtown.Our politicians need to get out and about Fitchburg more.

And Yes, loosing the Longsjo race is a failure of our leaders. this would never happen in any other city as you seen Leominster step right up to accomodate the race.

The fireworks were great this year as there was other events that were successful also. We need to continue and to do more as a community.

Do not isolate nor label segments of the community as this is self-defeating.
whack job

Petersham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Lynch wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, lets break it down. How many hookers in Fitchburg? 20 Maybe? So, due to 20 out of 40,000 plus people you label the city?
How many gangbangers in fitchburg? 100 Maybe? So, because of these 120 people that you do not desire, you label Fitchburg?
Fitchburg has had great skaters, hockey players,basketball, baseball players, artist and actors that has gone on to great heights and achievements. Fitchburg has produced business men.
Yes, I agree that somethings need to get batter. I feel that this is possible if we can create a stronger sense of community that involves everyone.
Hopefully the city will celebrate Christams/holiday season this year downtown.Our politicians need to get out and about Fitchburg more.
And Yes, loosing the Longsjo race is a failure of our leaders. this would never happen in any other city as you seen Leominster step right up to accomodate the race.
The fireworks were great this year as there was other events that were successful also. We need to continue and to do more as a community.
Do not isolate nor label segments of the community as this is self-defeating.
and don't forget that Fitchburg has it's very own convicted murderer, food stamp loving, crazy who thinks he should be mayor; so he can get rid of law enforcement. I wonder what that would do to the population of hookers, gang bangers and drug dealers.
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

whack job wrote:
<quoted text>
and don't forget that Fitchburg has it's very own convicted murderer, food stamp loving, crazy who thinks he should be mayor; so he can get rid of law enforcement. I wonder what that would do to the population of hookers, gang bangers and drug dealers.
"Who thinks he should be Mayor." I never relayed this but I do feel that I would make a very good Mayor. I forced the others to talk about the issues. I brought up issues that the others' wouldn't want to touch politically.

The problem is politics as usual! There is no conversation no more. It took 20 yrs for the Penn State situation to be addressed. Just think for a moment of how many people were mistreated all those years?

"The Good Ole Boy Network" within Fitchburg is Fitchburgs' Penn State! Individuals within the courts agreed with me outside of ear shot as the "consensus amoung them was, you are right it is the good ole boy network that hurts and controls Fitchburg"!

These people cannot come forward because the "good ole boy network" will outreach its tenacles to have them silenced if not fired.

This network weaves into the University as well. The sooner these people are held accountable the sooner Fitchburg will grow in a positive way!

Then with the police department concerning the FACT that there was only 3-4 cruisers total on Friday and Saturday nights! Solomito fact checked at the debate with Demoura in the audience as Demoura stated "No, it is more like 4-5". I know and the Chief knew that the truth was 3-4! Just review the 911 call that I made that night that details the conversation that I had with the officer while I awaited the Police to arrive. He told me that it would be 25 minutes as he asked me to follow the group till the police arrived.

The group of 40 was yelling at the neighbors;"get out of your fucking windows, this is anarchy, stay the fuck inside and mind your business or you will be hurt". They chanted parts of this in chorus. I can only imagine the elderly citizens and or the citizens with young children that wereinside cowering in complete fear!

Mayor Wong along with the Sentinels blessings had an editorial that stated there was no need for additional officers. Then a couple days before the general election she announced the addition of 12 patrolmen to the streets. Now that move was POLITICS AS USUAL.

And the Mayor should thank me as she got the headline, "the comeback kid"! If there was no primary then there would be no comeback.

Three days before the general she sent to every household full color 8"X11" lies about Joe Solomito. This move was greasy and "POLITICS AS USUAL!
Gee wilikers

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

I'm not sure but did you just take credit for anything Wong does for the city is your doing?
Oh Really

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Gee wilikers wrote:
I'm not sure but did you just take credit for anything Wong does for the city is your doing?
Kevin always takes credit for anything new the city does. It's all part of his delusional life.

I'm waiting for the day he claims Mayor Wong sucked all the ideas out of his head with her new brainsucking machine. I know he'll be the first victim, after all, he's got such great ideas for the city!

Can't beat Lynch for some cheap entertainment!
Too funny

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Kevin is a loser. A little mamas boy who was never taught the way to live like a man. He can't hold himself accountable because he doesn't know how. Look at the revisionist history Ed applying to the murder committed 20 years ago. He's putting the blame on the victim. That takes some nerve. He's spineless.
Agree

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Too funny wrote:
Kevin is a loser. A little mamas boy who was never taught the way to live like a man. He can't hold himself accountable because he doesn't know how. Look at the revisionist history Ed applying to the murder committed 20 years ago. He's putting the blame on the victim. That takes some nerve. He's spineless.
Yeah I don't get Lynchs story of the events. In the reports the victim was walking to his truck with two girls after being asked to leave when Lynch and his friends grabbed golf clubs ran outside and killed him.

Lesson to be learned. Never bring girls to his house. He only likes his mom and it could cost you your life!
huh

Petersham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Agree wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I don't get Lynchs story of the events. In the reports the victim was walking to his truck with two girls after being asked to leave when Lynch and his friends grabbed golf clubs ran outside and killed him.
Lesson to be learned. Never bring girls to his house. He only likes his mom and it could cost you your life!
maybe he was angry that the guy was with girls and did not want to be with him? they say that those kind of people can be crazy jealous.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
Fitchburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••