Leominster board OKs $96.2M 2010 budget - Sentinel & Enterprise

City councilors on Monday voted 6-3 to approve a $96.2 million fiscal 2010 budget, but not before some criticized the budget process and line items they said are wasteful or inefficient. Full Story
slimfast

Worcester, MA

#21 Jun 23, 2009
I think the ward 1 councilor is fantastic- the only one who really says what he thinks and votes that way no matter the consequences. The mayor treats the city council with pompous hostility- anyone who presents a budget should list last year's actual expenditures- this mayor presents last year's budget numbers instead. When mayors work against checks and balances- they are not working in our best interests. Of course he's not all bad- no one is ALL bad. That does not mean he's great! And when people disagree with the things he does- that doesn't not mean they hate him. This is such a juvenile statement to make. No way you're 69.
Pastore wrote:
I will take the meatball any day. Do you think for a moment that I would ever listen to my ward 1 councilor. He has the answers to everything just ask him. Meatball Mazz is doing a great job and the better he does the more his haters hate him. This time he didn;t cut enough. So now 3 million is not enoug? I work out of town and Meatball Mazz is the envy of other city's and towns. The guy has this place humming. I am unhappy with these people on the council and I will vote for anyone new this fall. Rosa is a meatball but he votes against everything but offers no solutions. The worst candidate this fall will be so much better than him. Will Rosa Vote against the pension that he will get for a part time job as a city councior? Lets see if Mr . Consultant takes his full time pension for serving part time? Meatball plese keep it up. The city has never been better at least in my 69 years.
down the river

Leominster, MA

#22 Jun 23, 2009
fed up wrote:
city councilors and citizens if you all feel that the budget process is flawed because the city charter does not allow the councilors for line item cuts but just an amount. Just a question, why not petition and change the city charter. If this is such a contention year after year, and if the council really does not have any powers then just have the mayor approve the budget and the city councilors can not appropriate any extra monies asked for by the various departments. YOu can't have it both ways. You approve the budget, complain, and still approve extra monies. You complain you have not power then change the city charter and put it up for vote by the citizens of this fair city. No one has the guts to go up against a very popular mayor and challenge his executive power becuase everything in leominster is political. Rowlands you keep screaming for change why don't you start initiating it.
"Can we do a better job at this budget? Yes, we can, but we have no administrative authority to do it," Salvatelli said during a meeting at City Hall. "We are locked into what we are. We're a City Council with very little power."

Am I missing something, isn't Salvatelli the one saying the City Council doesn't have much power? I don't think that mean all Councilors are saying that.

I do see some initiating change, they voted no. That is change, not rubber stamping the budget.

Cracks are starting to show in the story we have all been sold
slimfast

Worcester, MA

#23 Jun 23, 2009
Well said! Theer are some who do "due diligence" and want to have checks and balances, like Rowlands and Dombrowski. Then there are those who say "there's nothing we can do so let's be rubberstampers", like Salvatelli and Lanciani (who made a complete fool of himself at the last two council meetings). Those ones are thinking- "if this doesn't work out- WE can blame the mayor. If we DO something and it doesn't work out- the voters can blame us!" They don't care about our dollars- they care about their votes. I am going to blame the 6 that voted for the mayor's budget- I can't wait til I get my ballot!
down the river wrote:
<quoted text>
"Can we do a better job at this budget? Yes, we can, but we have no administrative authority to do it," Salvatelli said during a meeting at City Hall. "We are locked into what we are. We're a City Council with very little power."
Am I missing something, isn't Salvatelli the one saying the City Council doesn't have much power? I don't think that mean all Councilors are saying that.
I do see some initiating change, they voted no. That is change, not rubber stamping the budget.
Cracks are starting to show in the story we have all been sold
please run

Lancaster, MA

#24 Jun 24, 2009
Rowlands for mayor then we can see how screwed up Leom would be!!
slimfast

Worcester, MA

#25 Jun 24, 2009
Dave Rowlands is the best city councilor we have. He is doing what I want all the councilors and the mayor to do- that is work for the betterment of the WHOLE city- not just a select few.
please run wrote:
Rowlands for mayor then we can see how **** up Leom would be!!
Dantheman

Worcester, MA

#26 Jun 24, 2009
Rowlands for mayor- I'm all for it!!! Thanks for the great idea! He'd actually work with the city councilors - not against them. And before you say something you may wish you could take back- remember-the voters of Leominster CHOSE all those councilors at the last election for a reason. If you insult my choice of city councilors or choose to work against them- I won't vote for YOU anymore.
please run wrote:
Rowlands for mayor then we can see how **** up Leom would be!!
Luther Manning

Sharon, MA

#27 Jun 26, 2009
Concerned citizen wrote:
Welcome to the dictatorship of the honorable Dean "the meatball" Mazzerella. This guy is a one man show and all the other meatballs in this city continue to vote for him because he is Italian. Remember the 2.5% increase in taxes next election yet no substantial cuts to any of the fat in this budget. He is a tax and spend Democrat who masquerades around as an independent. Since Mr. Salvatelli admits the council serves no purpose perhaps dissovling the council can save $100K or so.
One reason Mazarella get re-elected time and time again, is there has not been a decent candidate to
challenge him. So, it's a one candidate race for Mayor, again and again.

Term limits need to be put in place.
Gloomy days

Milton, MA

#28 Jun 27, 2009
Think Positive wrote:
Compared to other cities in Mass, Leominster is doing pretty well. Look at Ashburnham, Fitchburg, Boston.. they are cutting tons of school jobs and others. As of right now, I am still unemployed for the upcoming school year, but I am hopeful that due to the budget passing, I may get rehired by the end of the week. My advice to you...be careful what you wish for...
Sounds like you are employed by the school dept??? Whats going on there? Dombrowski and Rosa have made comments about the administration and hiring? Headcount there went from 640 to 804???
Gloomy days

Milton, MA

#29 Jun 27, 2009
my error meant to say headcount went from 740 to 804??? think we need an external auditor to audit the school finances!!! btw, school business manager hope you aren't taking money left over from this fiscal year and using it toward purchases of the new fiscal year...

i'm all for education but not a top heavy administration (Binkley) Dombrowski and Rosa are on to something with this and I think it should be fully investigated!!!
Friend of Dino

Sharon, MA

#30 Jun 29, 2009
Dombroski and Rowlands need to go, they are repeat troublemakers, and argue with the Mayor every chance they get. Vote them OUT!
calamity

Worcester, MA

#31 Jun 29, 2009
NEVER!!!! They are my heroes! You don't understand that arguing with the mayor can be a good thing- like when he's wrong. I don't want an entire bunch of "yes" men and women! I understand that you do- so run for city council already!!!
Friend of Dino wrote:
Dombroski and Rowlands need to go, they are repeat troublemakers, and argue with the Mayor every chance they get. Vote them OUT!
catastrophe

Worcester, MA

#32 Jun 29, 2009
Checks and balances- that's a councilor's job- questioning, double-checking, offering different ideas-that's all part of it too.
calamity wrote:
NEVER!!!! They are my heroes! You don't understand that arguing with the mayor can be a good thing- like when he's wrong. I don't want an entire bunch of "yes" men and women! I understand that you do- so run for city council already!!!
<quoted text>
cafe worker

Brooklyn, NY

#33 Jul 3, 2009
Gloomy days wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you are employed by the school dept??? Whats going on there? Dombrowski and Rosa have made comments about the administration and hiring? Headcount there went from 640 to 804???
Why is it we lose teachers like a bald man losing hair but the administration over on church street isn't shrinking any?
We cry "gloomy days, tight budget" but where is the thought to tighten up our belts with a Dolly parton built administration?
truth

AOL

#34 Jul 3, 2009
catastrophe wrote:
Checks and balances- that's a councilor's job- questioning, double-checking, offering different ideas-that's all part of it too.
<quoted text>
Yeah but you can have checks and balances without being accusatory- ALL THE TIME. Rowlands makes some good points on occasion but the way he goes about it makes him look like an a**
catsstrophe

Worcester, MA

#35 Jul 3, 2009
I'd be accusatory too- if the mayor treated me like he does the city council. You are absolutely out of line if you think the mayor should send a budget to the council and to the residents of Leominster WITHOUT actuals for the last year. That is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! And you, you complain that Mr. Rowlands has an accusatory tone???
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but you can have checks and balances without being accusatory- ALL THE TIME. Rowlands makes some good points on occasion but the way he goes about it makes him look like an a**
catastrophe

Worcester, MA

#36 Jul 3, 2009
I am not done. We elected ALL the city councilors. The mayor REFUSES to work with them for the betterment of the city. He tries as hard as he can to run it like a monarchy. I consider that a slap huge insult to the will of the residents of Leominster. I don't want a KING running the city!!! So- in case you are wondering, I have voted for the mayor in the past, but I will never do that again while he behaves like an egotistical tyrant. Now that's accusatory. What Mr. Rowlands does is perfectly reasonable considering what he has to work with-oops- I mean against!
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go again

AOL

#37 Jul 3, 2009
Dear Mr. Mayor,

I really appreciate the effort and due diligence that you and your team have put into securing funding for all these projects. I also appreciate the dedictation of you and your team for the countless hours you put into making this town a better place to live. However, with that said, this latest attempt at trying to placate us into thinking that a 2 1/2% tax increase coupled with a rate increase on water and sewar is acceptable is beyond understanding. Time and again I have reviewed your proposed budgets and have the same fustration as the city council. Where are the actuals. If I understand correctly the $1.2M increase taxpayer money coupled with the $3.2M (represents a 3% tax increase) in cost reductions yields a budget that doesn't layoff anyone. Well I suppose you could look at that way, but as one of those tax payers who have been laid off this represents money I don't have. We should also note that based upon past 2 1/2% tax increases all you've really done is passed the dirty layoff deed to the private sector. And I almost forgot about the complicated Library funding that we the general public were not smart enough to understand. I guess I understand now because that funding option happens to equal the tax increase this year.

I have voted for you every time you have run for this job, because for the most part in an up ecomony you have done well. This is now time to take different approach. Cutting taxes (yes and some services and workers) will help small businesses recover and turn this thing around.
Luther Manning

Sharon, MA

#38 Jul 4, 2009
Unless somebody pulls papers to run, the current Mayor will be re-elected again, as will the members of the City Council.
Gloomy days

Milton, MA

#39 Jul 4, 2009
Luther Manning wrote:
Unless somebody pulls papers to run, the current Mayor will be re-elected again, as will the members of the City Council.
I'm hoping to see some new faces..such as Chalifoux-Zephir and Perla...
Luther Manning

Sharon, MA

#40 Jul 5, 2009
catastrophe wrote:
I am not done. We elected ALL the city councilors. The mayor REFUSES to work with them for the betterment of the city. He tries as hard as he can to run it like a monarchy. I consider that a slap huge insult to the will of the residents of Leominster. I don't want a KING running the city!!! So- in case you are wondering, I have voted for the mayor in the past, but I will never do that again while he behaves like an egotistical tyrant. Now that's accusatory. What Mr. Rowlands does is perfectly reasonable considering what he has to work with-oops- I mean against!
<quoted text>
Let's not forget the episode on the Mayor's weekly TV show where he stated "I feel like a king, all I need is the burger king hat!". Not sure if it was meant in jest or not...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fake charges against Lynch were DISMISSED 10 min joe lynch 74
Where is Kevin Lynch? 34 min joe lynch 31
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 59 min joe lynch 140
Criminal justice system's 'dark secret' (Mar '13) 1 hr Tammy 17
The Roys Capture 4th Consecutive ICM Bluegrass ... 2 hr BillyBob 38
Ex-Realtor charged with allegedly bilking clien... (Jun '09) Dec 19 pedro 15
lynch for mayor 2014 (Apr '12) Dec 19 BillyBob 341

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg