Leominster board OKs $96.2M 2010 budget - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

City councilors on Monday voted 6-3 to approve a $96.2 million fiscal 2010 budget, but not before some criticized the budget process and line items they said are wasteful or inefficient.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Disgusted

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Each fiscal year I sit and wait for the ball to drop. Once again I WAS NOT disappointed. Taxes UP AGAIN !!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Why don't the residents of this city stand up for themselves rather than roll over and play dead....We elect "concillors" to protect our interests yet they only protect their own. AND, why are they not listening to Rep. Rosa.....We kept him on as a "consultant" so to speak, yet no one listened to his suggestions.....Just go along to get along.....He has fiscally managed this city for a long period of time and we are the envy due, in part, to his expertise....So, now, I have to figure out do I not buy groceries for a week or not take my children to a movie to pay AGAIN.....Other states are looking quite good right about now !!!!!!!! I challenge you Leominster residents to stand up ???
Think Positive

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Compared to other cities in Mass, Leominster is doing pretty well. Look at Ashburnham, Fitchburg, Boston.. they are cutting tons of school jobs and others. As of right now, I am still unemployed for the upcoming school year, but I am hopeful that due to the budget passing, I may get rehired by the end of the week. My advice to you...be careful what you wish for...
Concerned citizen

Westford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Welcome to the dictatorship of the honorable Dean "the meatball" Mazzerella. This guy is a one man show and all the other meatballs in this city continue to vote for him because he is Italian. Remember the 2.5% increase in taxes next election yet no substantial cuts to any of the fat in this budget. He is a tax and spend Democrat who masquerades around as an independent. Since Mr. Salvatelli admits the council serves no purpose perhaps dissovling the council can save $100K or so.
fight for your rights

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Another story how DEMOCRATES love to spend your money. Of course there is room to cut the budget, especially in the time we are living now. Taxes are to high, how many families will leave because of it. And what about saving for the rainy days ahead? Before a budget is passed, every T should be crossed and every I dotted. With PRIDE comes the fall. And every input should be looked at, not discarded. The roads in this city of Leominster are horrible, so where is this tax money going? You can do better...
Pastore

Clinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

I will take the meatball any day. Do you think for a moment that I would ever listen to my ward 1 councilor. He has the answers to everything just ask him. Meatball Mazz is doing a great job and the better he does the more his haters hate him. This time he didn;t cut enough. So now 3 million is not enoug? I work out of town and Meatball Mazz is the envy of other city's and towns. The guy has this place humming. I am unhappy with these people on the council and I will vote for anyone new this fall. Rosa is a meatball but he votes against everything but offers no solutions. The worst candidate this fall will be so much better than him. Will Rosa Vote against the pension that he will get for a part time job as a city councior? Lets see if Mr . Consultant takes his full time pension for serving part time? Meatball plese keep it up. The city has never been better at least in my 69 years.
fight for your rights

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Marchand, makes alot of decisions the way I see it. Have some good members on the board, but there are a few that push for there ways to be done. The closeness is starting to work it's way in an other direction.
level the field

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

so why if Leominster is doing so well, and will do even better with increased meal and room taxes, do they draw so hard from the state aid teet?
It's not all good management, a lot of it is straight subsidy from the surrounding towns.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Yep, there go my real estate taxes, UP AGAIN!!! I can barely afford to pay them now. I guess our mayor has a buddy thats going to buy up all the homes that are on the block for unpaid taxes. It doesn't matter who you vote for, they are all crooks and want to have their hands deep in you pocket.
Riley Martin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Only thing meatball wants is for us to buy flags at his store.

I'd love to see how bad the books are cooked in that place.
Here we go again

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

First, I have the utmost respect for the Mayor and Council for the amount of time that they put into their roles.
BUT ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Let's see the Mayor submits a budget that represents a 3% reduction from an estimated spend number from last years budget, but calls for a 2.5% raise in property taxes. And then the sewar and water rates are going up. And they all feel good at least they didn't have to lay anyone off. I support those council members who had the courage to vote against this budget and the water increase. Tocci, Salvatelli, Lancini, Freda and who ever else gave their rubber stamp need to be ousted. By raising taxes and the water bill all the layoffs that should have been done by the Mayor and his top heavey adminstration is now going to be passed to small business owners like me.
Mista Mayah

Lancaster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

So our school system is STUFFED with administrative do-nothings?

Dear investigative reporters at the Sentinel or Councilor Dombrowski:

Please report to your readers/constituents the ratio of people who actually teach students to those who do not. After all, shouldn't the bulk of our taxpaying resources be targeted to teaching students!

Is it 65% administrative do-nothings to 35% teachers? What is the benchmark rate for the top performing Mass public schools, or top performing private schools?

Shouldn't we be able to evaluate, regulate, and benchmark the cost and performance of our system as the PROVIDER OF THESE BUDGET DOLLARS?

Shouldn't your positions as city councilors and representatives of the taxpayers make you feel the least bit of responsibility to provide a detailed review of the school system and these millions of wasted dollars. All you can manage is a few disgruntled words at a budget review?

Pathetic.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Leominster is doing well, but should have made the necessary cuts to live within their budget without raising taxes.

They would have been wise to cut the budget, and leave the taxes where they are.

but not doing so, they only showed that they do not understand the plight of the taxpayers
fed up

Bolton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

city councilors and citizens if you all feel that the budget process is flawed because the city charter does not allow the councilors for line item cuts but just an amount. Just a question, why not petition and change the city charter. If this is such a contention year after year, and if the council really does not have any powers then just have the mayor approve the budget and the city councilors can not appropriate any extra monies asked for by the various departments. YOu can't have it both ways. You approve the budget, complain, and still approve extra monies. You complain you have not power then change the city charter and put it up for vote by the citizens of this fair city. No one has the guts to go up against a very popular mayor and challenge his executive power becuase everything in leominster is political. Rowlands you keep screaming for change why don't you start initiating it.
for real

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Is it 65% administrative do-nothings to 35% teachers? What is the benchmark rate for the top performing Mass public schools, or top performing private schools?

Is this the actual percentage? Administrative 65% teachers 35%?
If it is this is disgusting.
jay

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

I heard 1 person speak about the budget at the meeting. Where were the rest of you? Easy to sit back and critisize after the fact.If Rosa didn't take his salary that would've been 10,000 of the 100 he wanted to cut. I also don't vote for the mayor because he is Italian- I happen to think he does a great job.
Elliot

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

jay wrote:
I heard 1 person speak about the budget at the meeting. Where were the rest of you? Easy to sit back and critisize after the fact.If Rosa didn't take his salary that would've been 10,000 of the 100 he wanted to cut. I also don't vote for the mayor because he is Italian- I happen to think he does a great job.
A city councilor make $10,000 a year?
in rain i work

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

why don't we lay off some dpw positions, nothing appears to get done around here except for a few exceptions...
Suns coming out

Clinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Funny. Roads are bad and lets cut taxes. Unreal or should I say I'm not surprized at all. Just read through the blogs and you will find that they just don't make sense. Mayor and his team have done a great job in this city. Just google Taunton,Somerville,Methuen,Mar loboro and the list goes on and on. You want to talk about cuts. Rowlands and the rest of these people collecting 10 grand a year need to do there homework. Please tell me that Rosa does not get a pension? Please . How about places like Malden ,Medord and on an on where they offer far less services than us.

Time for people to wake up. Forget Fitchburg pick any other city in the state. Mazz should run for higher office and take his formular of good business with him
Luther Manning

Gloucester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

It's my understanding that the members of the City Council will get pensions once they retire as well as medical benefits paid for by the City of Leominster.

Again, time for change, some of the members of the City Council have been office for 10+ years, and IMHO are "retired on the job".

Instead of paying overtime, hire more fire fighters also.
soyousay

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

I don't think the mayor has the midas touch- it's his financial team at city hall that has that. Don't overlook the fact that the mayor chose the library expansion over the police station and the high school repairs. You're giving him the glory that belongs to others! He's the city's best cheerleader and he is great in catastrophes like the ice storm- but the financial golden child- I don't see it.
Suns coming out wrote:
Funny. Roads are bad and lets cut taxes. Unreal or should I say I'm not surprized at all. Just read through the blogs and you will find that they just don't make sense. Mayor and his team have done a great job in this city. Just google Taunton,Somerville,Methuen,Mar loboro and the list goes on and on. You want to talk about cuts. Rowlands and the rest of these people collecting 10 grand a year need to do there homework. Please tell me that Rosa does not get a pension? Please . How about places like Malden ,Medord and on an on where they offer far less services than us.
Time for people to wake up. Forget Fitchburg pick any other city in the state. Mazz should run for higher office and take his formular of good business with him

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fitchburg Discussions

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 1 hr Kundrot dionkie 1,145
Union chief: Morale remains low at DCF 3 hr Jtn 5
Liz Warren for President 6 hr Deloris 6
Who is Ken 7 hr Samuel 5
MWCC students named to Who's Who Tue Ken from fitchburg 13
Fitchburg gets $4.2M for mill project Tue Jtn 1
Man charged with assaulting officer, heroin pos... Tue ken 1
•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs