Two-way Main Street just the first step - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Jeff Speck, a world-renowned city planner, says cities need to walk the walk -- literally -- when it comes to improving their downtowns.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Aug 4, 2013
Shaking My Head

Ashburnham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Want people to go downtown? Get rid of the crime, drugs, hookers, dirt, and welfare offices.

And turn on the lights in Fitchburg so people won't think we're a dead city.
Kirsten

Whitinsville, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

I am a resident of Gardner, so I am well aware of the two lane change. If the police department isn't out enforcing traffic laws as far as making sure drivers are actually stopping at all of the new stop signs that were put in then it's not going to be safe enough for pedestrians. Yesterday I stood at a crosswalk while a police officer and three cars drove right by and didn't let me cross.
Greg

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Shaking My Head wrote:
Want people to go downtown? Get rid of the crime, drugs, hookers, dirt, and welfare offices.
Actually, there's great entertainment downtown. Someone is bound to approach you with an imaginitive tale of hardship and plea for help (monetary only, thanks.) If you come back the next day you'll get an entirely different story from the same person. Or you can hear a local business owner complain about the hookers, and see another businessman down the street patronizing these ladies in his luxury car. At night you can play the "is that a kid on a bike?" game while driving down Main or search for something to do that doesn't involve getting toasted in some dive. All in all, a good time can be had by all.
Chamer is terrorist like

Belmont, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Shaking My Head wrote:
I haven't seen any hookers back downtown in years.The drug running on Main street has slowed. Let me ask, What is your problem with welfare offices?

You don't want Welfare offered to anyone, you don't want crime nor drug dealing but your support outsourcing of American jobs.

You are in conflict with commonsense from within yourself! Do you live in a fortress that is guarded? If things don't turn around drastically within the next two years then you will need guards as more than 50% of America will be unemployed!
Lynch for Mayor

Belmont, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

I beleive that a two lane Main street is needed. I say let's construct a two lane Main street so that we can monitor its success.

I wouldn't elevate any intersections though! Move Fitchburg forward. Let's also look into a Fitchburg connector while we are at it.
MJL-Fitchburg

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Well, my comment about DOWNTOWN Fitchburg is:I hated the thougt of it going ONE-WAY 20+ years ago but I really have my doubts about DOWNTOWN Fitchburg nowadays. I drive down there FAST as I legally can BECAUSE I'm ASHAMED of what it LOOKS like NOW. Fitchburg,MA is in AMERICA....ENGLISH...Please!!
AJP

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

There is always going to be a Main Street, it's not going away. It should be as good a place to visit or live at as it can be. Every citizen of Fitchburg should want a better downtown as it reflects on the city. I go down to Main Street very often, City Hall Cafe, Esspresso's, Shack's, and I don't get the reputation of a drug and hooker haven many feel about Main Street. There are a lot of people who have a lot invested in the downtown like Mr. Iosua and Clark Straight. I'd hate to see a Main Street without folks like these. If two way traffic can improve Main Street and be done on grant money let's give it a try.
Rich G

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

A nice brewpub in downtown Fitchburg would certainly attract more people.
Joe From Idaho

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

OK Clark we know it's you. Clark Straight is a Slum lord, his building on Main St. is Beautiful but none of his others are. They are Dumps that no human should have to live in!!!
Shaking My Head

Ashburnham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Chamer is terrorist like wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't seen any hookers back downtown in years.The drug running on Main street has slowed. Let me ask, What is your problem with welfare offices?
You don't want Welfare offered to anyone, you don't want crime nor drug dealing but your support outsourcing of American jobs.
You are in conflict with commonsense from within yourself! Do you live in a fortress that is guarded? If things don't turn around drastically within the next two years then you will need guards as more than 50% of America will be unemployed!
I don't know what to tell you. I've seen women, dressed to work, walking around that little park near the church on Main Street, approaching men who were sitting in the same park, looking down and out. I saw a brief conversation, and the woman walked on. You may say I'm assuming she is a "working girl," but it looked that way to me.

I see drug deals everywhere in Fitchburg and Leominster. That's a no brainer. I was pumping gas at the Mobil station near Twin City plaza, and there was a car dealing in the parking lot in the front of the convenience store. Last score I witnessed was sitting at the lights near Il Forno the the Charles Place bar. Doesn't take much to see drugs for sale in this area.

Problem I have with welfare offices on Main Street is the loitering around of the clients outside the offices. If you want to have a business store on Main Street, then all the loitering has to be dispersed. I won't shop somewhere when I have to push through loitering people, all of whom seem to be smoking, with carriages and kids everywhere. The smoking especially is a problem for me. I don't want to shop where people are hanging around smoking. JMHO. Not asking anyone to stop smoking anywhere they want, but I'm not going where people are hanging around smoking. It's bad for everyone's health and I refuse to breathe in someone's exhaled smoke.
Lynch for Mayor

Belmont, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

Lets not have consultants, lawyers and other hacks debating Main street. The study has already been done. Lets just construct a two way Main street.

There is nothing to lose here. I believe that more residents will park in the free parking lot downtown. Many do not even know that it exist.

Lets approach the college and request architectural help from the students. Lets sit down and brainstorm ideas as a group. This can be done at zero cost.

We need to just go ahead with the idea instead of debating it for years.
KLL

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Chamer is terrorist like wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing wrong with Welfare offices, but they do tend to attract people that have nothing else to do but hang around them. Some people, not myself, stereotype these people as drug dealers, mentally ill, or dangerous. For that reason alone they are afraid to go into an area where these people hang out. Welfare is a good program, but it doesn't do enough to help people who are not able to help themselves. If less people abused Welfare that don't need it, then more people who do might be able to get help. The problem is not specifically the program, but the abuses of the program that take away from the ability to provide services for people who are drug dependent, mentally ill, and need help and things to keep them from hanging around these areas
KLL

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Lynch for Mayor wrote:
Lets not have consultants, lawyers and other hacks debating Main street. The study has already been done. Lets just construct a two way Main street.
There is nothing to lose here. I believe that more residents will park in the free parking lot downtown. Many do not even know that it exist.
Lets approach the college and request architectural help from the students. Lets sit down and brainstorm ideas as a group. This can be done at zero cost.
We need to just go ahead with the idea instead of debating it for years.
Well then, take the initiative and get something started. But also do something about all of the people loitering around the businesses on Main Street so that others will feel more comfortable parking there and visiting those businesses. I am a 32 year old woman who is nervous trying to circumvent groups of people to get into a store at night when they look like they could potentially be the type of people I should worry about being involved with. They may not be drug dealers, hookers, or people out looking for trouble but you have to admit sometimes they look like it and that can make people afraid.
Enlighten me

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

KLL wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing wrong with Welfare offices, but they do tend to attract people that have nothing else to do but hang around them. Some people, not myself, stereotype these people as drug dealers, mentally ill, or dangerous. For that reason alone they are afraid to go into an area where these people hang out. Welfare is a good program, but it doesn't do enough to help people who are not able to help themselves. If less people abused Welfare that don't need it, then more people who do might be able to get help. The problem is not specifically the program, but the abuses of the program that take away from the ability to provide services for people who are drug dependent, mentally ill, and need help and things to keep them from hanging around these areas
Where is the Welfare Office on Main Street?
Wrong

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

In the 400 block near the satellite post office.
Enlighten me

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Wrong wrote:
In the 400 block near the satellite post office.
Thank you. I'll see most of you there in the near future if things continue as is!
AJP

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

The welfare office, sorry "Department of Transitional Assistance" is planning to be off Main street by spring 2011. Look for it on River St.
Wrong

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

AJP wrote:
The welfare office, sorry "Department of Transitional Assistance" is planning to be off Main street by spring 2011. Look for it on River St.
Looking forward to that!
Rollstone discovered

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

Joe From Idaho wrote:
OK Clark we know it's you. Clark Straight is a Slum lord, his building on Main St. is Beautiful but none of his others are. They are Dumps that no human should have to live in!!!
Who?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••