Just say no to treatment center

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Fitchburg's Zoning Board of Appeals unanimously denied a request earlier this week to let a doctor open a primary care medical facility that specializes in addiction after about 30 residents spoke out against ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frank

Westminster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

I agree. We don't need or want another treatment clinic in Fitchburg. We are over-run with such centers already.
Marion

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Fitchburg has more than it's share. Put it in Leominster
GAIL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

I agree put it in Leominster. With all the talk about cleaning up our city, getting rid of the drugs in our city, how can they even consider another treatment clinic.
Marie P

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

We don't want it either!
Fitchburg resident

Peabody, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Maybe if everyone wasn't against treatment clinics being in their city, there wouldn't be as much of a need for them. People talk about wanting to help people but only if it's not in their city. The same thing happened in Leominster with a shelter for homeless families. Somehow homeless equalled criminals. Nobody thought about women who lost everything in divorce or were abused. The same people who don't want these facilities are the first to complain when it's their family members who need help and can't find it nearby.
So What

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Fitchburg resident wrote:
Maybe if everyone wasn't against treatment clinics being in their city, there wouldn't be as much of a need for them. People talk about wanting to help people but only if it's not in their city. The same thing happened in Leominster with a shelter for homeless families. Somehow homeless equalled criminals. Nobody thought about women who lost everything in divorce or were abused. The same people who don't want these facilities are the first to complain when it's their family members who need help and can't find it nearby.
if you want to put a shelter for abused women and children I say go for it! That's not what we're talking about here now is it.
Nonymous

Windham, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

So What wrote:
<quoted text>
if you want to put a shelter for abused women and children I say go for it! That's not what we're talking about here now is it.
No, it's a doctor's office.

The horror!
Fitchburg Native

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Habit Management 155 Airport Road Fitchburg MA
Center for Well-Being Inc. Fitchburg, 70 Bond Street Fitchburg
Alcoholics & Narcotics Help Line 24 Hours Fitchburg MA
Practical Solutions 47 Ashby State Rd, 104 Fitchburg, MA
Alternatives Unlimited16 Prospect Street Fitchburg,
MA Children's Aid & Family Service Inc 915 South Street Fitchburg, MA 01420
Herbert Lipton Community Mental Health Center Inc255 Main Street Fitchburg, MA 01420
Life Health Center348 Lunenburg Street Suite 202 Fitchburg
North Worcester Psychological Consultants 32 Adams Street Fitchburg
Center for Health & Development 43 Highland Street Fitchburg MA
Family Day Care System Of Children's Aid & Family Services Inc 75 Day Street Fitchburg MA
Spectrum Health services 76 Summer St Fitchburg, MA
Community Health Connections Family Health Center 275 Nichols Road Fitchburg,
MA Health Alliance MD - Burbank Campus, for Faster Service Dial These Departments Directly 275 Nichols Road Fitchburg, MA.
Mass Associates of Marriage & Family Therapy Fitchburg MA.
Mass Commonwealth - Fitchburg Site, North Central Area, North Central Case Management Site515 Main Street Fitchburg, MA 01420
Riverfront Counseling 76 Summer Street Fitchburg, MA
Respect 21 Cully Street Fitchburg 01420
Andrew Scott PhD 32 Adams Street Fitchburg MA
Judith Bralove 76 Summer St. Fitchburg, MA
Katz Solomon Psychologist 881 South Street Fitchburg Ma Gagne
Cynthia Psychotherapist 348 Lunenburg St. Fitchburg, MA
Miller Amy Louise Psychologist 516 Elm St. Fitchburg, MA
Family Practice Physicians in Fitchburg
http://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/drs/massach ...
Leominster? Lunenburg? Gardner? Worcester?
Fitch resident

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Fitchburg Native, what point are you trying to make by reading out of the yellow pages? I can give you a list of pizza shops in fitchburg from the yellow pages too. And I'm sure fitchburg isnt the only place in this area with marriage counselors!! Do some research on EXACTLY what this doctor has done and how he has pioneered in his field and then try to make a list of what other practices match up to what he does. I bet your list will be a whole lot shorter.
very local resident

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

They claimed to be a PCP, that treats addiction. They say we do not have enough help for people in Fitchburg. Here is a list of what we have. Would one more solve the problem? If so put it where it is zoned to be.
Fitch resident wrote:
Fitchburg Native, what point are you trying to make by reading out of the yellow pages? I can give you a list of pizza shops in fitchburg from the yellow pages too. And I'm sure fitchburg isnt the only place in this area with marriage counselors!! Do some research on EXACTLY what this doctor has done and how he has pioneered in his field and then try to make a list of what other practices match up to what he does. I bet your list will be a whole lot shorter.
X Crack-berg resident

Attleboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

God knows all of the crack, heroin, and PCP addicts live in Fitchburg already! They wouldn't have far to travel to get treated. The problem is, does it really help them ovecome addiction?

I am all for them putting treatment centers in another town. Try Concord!
Fitchburg Native

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Fitch resident wrote:
Did you know that Pizza can cure "the munchies" that are often induced by Marijuana addicts.

This company is a "test clinic" for an unproven meth, cocaine remedy called "Prometa" that has a huge receptive potential customer base in small drug riddled communities like Fitchburg. There are currently no medications that have been approved by the FDA to stop addictions to stimulants, such as cocaine and methamphetamines and there is debate over the "Prometa protocol," manufactured by the Hythiam Corp., which is complicated by the checkered Wall Street career of the company's CEO, Terren Peizer, who previously championed an anti-AIDS drug that has yet to make it to market. Hythiam, which is based in Los Angeles, launched Prometa in 2003 in private clinics, where meth and cocaine addicts, as well as alcohol abusers, pay $12,000 to $15,000 for a one-month outpatient treatment. Now the company is aggressively pushing Prometa for the mass market, and asking governments and insurers to foot the bill.

Critics note that the field of addiction treatment is littered with "miracle cures" that ultimately failed or, in a few cases, caused harm to test subjects. And they warn that Prometa has never been subjected to double-blind, placebo-controlled testing — the gold standard for determining whether therapies are safe and effective.

‘It preys on ... desperate patients’
“The marketing is way ahead of the science,” said Lori Karan, a physician-researcher at the Drug Dependence Research Laboratory at the University of California San Francisco.“It preys on the needs of desperate patients, sets unreasonable hopes and expectations and takes advantage of scarce economic resources.”

"What’s being touted here is what people have always wanted for addiction ... something dramatic that is going to fix their brain," agreed Peter Banys, director of substance abuse programs at the VA Medical Center in San Francisco. "I would never recommend that someone spend $15,000 on this with the current state of data (and) I think it’s improper to spend public money on this product at this time."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15310599/
Fitch resident

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Fitchburg Native, you are wrong if you think that is all this clinic does. Try doing some research before you speak, because I have. Try googling this doctor's name and see how approaches trying to help someone with their addiction. You are trying to make sound like he is a fraud and just looking to make a quick buck. YOU ARE WRONG AND BORDERING ON SLANDEROUS! Try this link and maybe you will learn something about everything he actually does.

http://media.www.nu-news.com/media/storage/pa...
Fitch resident

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

very local resident wrote:
They claimed to be a PCP, that treats addiction. They say we do not have enough help for people in Fitchburg. Here is a list of what we have. Would one more solve the problem? If so put it where it is zoned to be.
<quoted text>
Obviously the meth clinics are not working for Fitchburg. You just have to drive up and down main street to see that. If you did some reseaerch on what this clinic actually does you would see that they have a totally different approach to recovery involving therapy and medicine.
This man has worked with more than 140,000 addicts in his lifetime. He has pioneered in his field. I know some uninformed people think he want to come here to pull a quick one over us and take money from addicts with drugs that dont work. I said it before and I'll say it again, DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SPEAK!! DONT FORM AN OPINION UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL THE FACTS!!!!
Melissa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

X Crack-berg resident wrote:
God knows all of the crack, heroin, and PCP addicts live in Fitchburg already! They wouldn't have far to travel to get treated. The problem is, does it really help them ovecome addiction?
I am all for them putting treatment centers in another town. Try Concord!
Crackheads from fitchburg couldnt get to Concord !!
Moe

Attleboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Ever hear of the commuter rail??
X Crack-berg resident

Attleboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Commuter rail? They prefer stealing a car to get there. It doesn't cost them anything, and most likely the treatment wouldn't either. Hope all you Fitchburg taxpayers know where your money is going!
Melissa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Moe wrote:
Ever hear of the commuter rail??
They are not going to ride a damn train to get off of drugs !!!!!!!!!! GET REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Fitchburg Native

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Fitch resident wrote:
Fitchburg Native, you are wrong if you think that is all this clinic does. Try doing some research before you speak, because I have. Try googling this doctor's name and see how approaches trying to help someone with their addiction. You are trying to make sound like he is a fraud and just looking to make a quick buck. YOU ARE WRONG AND BORDERING ON SLANDEROUS! Try this link and maybe you will learn something about everything he actually does.
http://media.www.nu-news.com/media/storage/pa...
Like I said, this is a "test clinic" and a buisness for a "profit" for a treatment that has been rushed to a market without any scientific testing. Peter Banys, director of substance abuse programs at the VA Medical Center in San Francisco says "I would never recommend that someone spend $15,000 on this with the current state of data. This treatment has made its way to consumers quickly because of an exception in FDA regulations that allows physicians to prescribe drugs “off-label”— that is, for purposes other than the one for which they were originally approved. For example, Botox, best known as a wrinkle eraser, originally was approved as a treatment for an eye muscle problem but is used off-label to treat migraine headaches.
This buisness is looking to make a profit in a ranch house on Summer Street in Fitchburg. It belongs in a medical environment.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml...
Fitch resident

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Fitchburg Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, this is a "test clinic" and a buisness for a "profit" for a treatment that has been rushed to a market without any scientific testing. Peter Banys, director of substance abuse programs at the VA Medical Center in San Francisco says "I would never recommend that someone spend $15,000 on this with the current state of data. This treatment has made its way to consumers quickly because of an exception in FDA regulations that allows physicians to prescribe drugs “off-label”— that is, for purposes other than the one for which they were originally approved. For example, Botox, best known as a wrinkle eraser, originally was approved as a treatment for an eye muscle problem but is used off-label to treat migraine headaches.
This buisness is looking to make a profit in a ranch house on Summer Street in Fitchburg. It belongs in a medical environment.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml...
Well I would hope that a business would open shop to m ake a profit or else they wouldnt be a good business. You still are not stating all the facts about what treatment this clinic provides. You are being unfair in the way you are categorizing this clinic and what they do. As I said before learn the facts about how they treat a patient and then speak. An addict doesnt come into this clinic, get prescribed a miracle drug and then get sent on their merry way. Their individual situation is looked at and then they are treated with a combination or counseling, therapy, and medicine. You are making this doctor sound like a crook looking for a quick buck when he is anything but and if you did more research you would figure that out on your own.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE