Red Raiders come up with big win - Se...

Red Raiders come up with big win - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 20 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 23, 2010, titled Red Raiders come up with big win - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

John Laroche will be thankful his wife Maureen, the first-year head coach of the Fitchburg girls' basketball team, won't walk around this weekend channeling her inner Grinch or Ebenezer Scrooge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

wow

Lowell, MA

#1 Dec 23, 2010
true or false: new FHS girls coach is a whack job?
JValjean

Leominster, MA

#2 Dec 23, 2010
Lunenburg played as individuals; heroball doesn't cut it at this level. Too many players seem more concerned about their stats than winning the game. Their offense, especially late, consisted of one player (#33 esp) ignoring open teammates looking for her own shot. Coach Dalton needs to look hard at the team and reduce playing time of kids unable to buy into the team and give more court time to those who are selfless. One kid who played late, #4, I believe, provided a huge spark to Lunenburg, forcing Coach LaRoche to reinsert Fluet to try to slow her down. Fitchburg, the team, dissected Lunenburg, the individuals.
crazy8

West Boylston, MA

#3 Dec 23, 2010
Fitchburg coach seems to be getting off to a good start but those players were developed by previous coach. Any fool could game manage them.....good teams will beat them everytime because she has demonstrated no strength in game time adjustments. Let's face it, she has won against very weak to mediocre teams...when she met a quality opponent, she got spanked!!!! Also, she needs to realize that she is a role model and that she acts in a very unprofessional manner. Perhaps, that explains why she was passed over for several jobs before FHS. I am an FHS alum and I am embarrassed by her antics and lack of sportsmanship. She is a first year coach, who has run up scores and behaved badly. AD....get her under control....she makes a good program look bad!!! JV coach....if you ever want to move to varsity level....distance yourself cuz this lady is not liked or respected and now I know why.....no class...low class!!!!
rudolph

Lowell, MA

#4 Dec 23, 2010
OUCH..crazy8 calling out the new FHS coach. I like it. Her behavior is very erratic. I cant believe she got hired at a varsity program.

How does she act in a very unprofessional way?
JValjean

Sterling, MA

#5 Dec 23, 2010
Coach La Roche is, shall we say,...animated? Still, that's not necessarily a bad thing; her team seems to be enjoying themselves far more than the team did last year without her and they certainly are playing much crisper than last year. Taking nothing away from Beth Macnamara, but this year's Fitchburg squad looks nothing like last years. Sure Leominster pasted them, but Leominster's going to do that to alot of teams...in fact, the Leominster-Lunenburg game may go on my "must-see" list simply to see if they'll drop 100 on Lunenburg!
crazy8

West Boylston, MA

#6 Dec 23, 2010
Heard she practiced before game yesterday.......this is a violation of MIAA rules. She has run up the score and her jumping, hooting and chest bumping are attention seeking antics. Coach, act like you belong on the varsity stage.....model how to win and lose with class. Kudos to generating excitement but lets see if she can develop talent and sustain it....judging from the comments I have heard from FHS parents...kids love her, adults are embarrassed!
HMarston

Sterling, MA

#7 Dec 23, 2010
Wow...Lunenburg stunk up the Grutchfield building last night. Their two best post players-Proctor and Teague-didn't make much of any effort to put in an appearance in the post, settling for the most part for spot up jumpers. That, more than anything else, spotlights the rebounding disparity, I think. If Coach D thinks waiting around for "those jumpers to fall" is a winning offensive philosophy, he's going to be in for a long season.
Case in point; the frosh Curran who gets an inordinate amount of playing time for so little return, doesn't even pretend to run the offense (as noted above by JValjean) shooting far too often at a sub 20% shot percentage, turns the ball over at a frighteningly prodigous rate and clearly cannot play defense at this level yet far more seasoned and polished players languish at the deep end of his bench rousing only to play garbage time or mercy minutes.
Players like Klauer and Poirier nearly play themselves to death, hoping to provide a spark, hustling and moving the ball to teammates only to watch the ball disappear into a selfish black hole. O'Connell and Hansel, Crowe and Johnson-scrappy gamers all, see far too few minutes for their impact when in the game.
If the rumors I hear have any truth, Lunenburg is drowning in internal conflict; no surer recipe for disaster exists. A perhaps more stern and firm hand from CoachD and more genuine leadership from his veterans is needed if this be the case-and quickly. It's very clear to even the most clouded eye that something is wrong with this team, they are far more talented than their record and play shows.
Lunenburg's self-inflicted issues aside, give Fitchburg credit; after the intial flurry by Lunenburg, Fitchburg slowly but surely strangled the life out of Lunenburg. A killer instinct took over once it was clear Lunenburg was frustrated and they quickly lowered the boom dashing any hopes Lunenburg held of coming back with stifling defense and fluid offense. Fitchburg outhustled Lunenburg to nearly every 50-50 ball and flexed their defense out to the 3-pt arc, the apparent favorite font of many a Lunenburg player, taking away nearly all open looks at the basket. That is a credit to Fitchburg's coaching staff and one of the reasons Lunenburg's metaphorical butt is quite sore this morning.
new staff

Worcester, MA

#8 Dec 23, 2010
Fitchburg already had the perfect successor to Beth McNamara but Derrick Bennett left before she resigned to be the HC of the Monty Tech girls. Give him a few years and watch the program that he builds...Fitchburg's loss in Monty Tech's gain!
JValjean

Sterling, MA

#9 Dec 23, 2010
A breath of fresh air often shocks at first; Coach LaRoche's enthusiasm is clearly contagious, infecting her team and showing in their play and animation during the game. Contrast that to the sullen and stunned silence from the Lunenburg bench during the game...

Personally, I find things like a Lunenburg player throwing a chair at halftime far more embarrassing and classless than an animated coach.
Frosty the Dough Man

Lowell, MA

#10 Dec 23, 2010
I agree with all the points about this coach and what not..but I think the real issue here is the first two paragraphs of this story:

FITCHBURG -- John Laroche will be thankful his wife Maureen, the first-year head coach of the Fitchburg girls' basketball team, won't walk around this weekend channeling her inner Grinch or Ebenezer Scrooge.

No, after the Red Raiders' performance Wednesday night against visiting Lunenburg, Laroche will be more akin to Cindy Lou Who or Bob Cratchit.

REALLY? Why did they need to publish the coach's husband in here?
bballs

Littleton, MA

#11 Dec 23, 2010
The Fitchburg girls just worked harder last night and did the dirty work that teams need to do if you want to win games at that level. Seems like too many Lunenburg kids were more interested in finding their next shot and complaining about officials than they were in playing defense and doing the hard work required to rebound.
abhs25

Hooksett, NH

#12 Dec 23, 2010
a breath of fresh air ,more like bad breath ! Embarrassing is a better word to use about her and her JV coach . Got to feel bad for the young lady who is also on the bench.she sits there and for the most part does not participate in their show . exchanging high fives with the other coach when they make a play, body bumping the girls as they come off the court at halftime. when the game is over she goes over to the boys team in attendance and hugs them . I think a little inappropiate !
Disgusted

Lincoln, MA

#13 Dec 23, 2010
Have to agree with abhs25 the lady is a joke and her JV coach is a bigger joke,showboating like idiots, don't have a problem with being encouraging her players and complimenting them, but the antics that were displayed in that Fieldhouse last night were so obnoxious and inappropriate that it makes FHS look like a joke, she should also get some new shoes she is going to ruin the floor with her spike heals with all the jumping around that she does. She is not a peer of her players she should be setting better examples for her players by acting appropriately and being more humble, she should also rein some of her players in, with the dirty play, they are going to seriously hurt someone one of these day, but then again it obviously is the way she coaches because her Gardner High soccer team plays the same way
abhs25

Fall River, MA

#14 Dec 23, 2010
They encourage their players to swear at the opposition ,cluth,grab,punch as long as thy can get away with it . If this game was called as close as the previous game against leominster they would of been in some serious foul trouble.

Wonder what some of the juniors and seniors think when they see the freshman daughter(average player)of the JV coach starting and getting a bunch of minutes
JValjean

Sterling, MA

#15 Dec 23, 2010
I was surprised at this game; I felt it was more a test for Fitchburg than Lunenburg, them playing a more talented and deeper team and coming off a humbling loss to a cross town rival. Yet, the failure of Lunenburg to press their advantage in the post and springboard that into an inside-out game, opened the door for Fitchburg and ultimately playing right into their hands, led to a shocking shellacking.
Once Poirier went down, and despite the best efforts of Klauer to inject life into their offense, Lunenburg played as if-and they certainly were-stunned and Fitchburg sensed the apathy and turned the screws tighter. I think both teams may need to be re-evaluated by future opponents...

As for the the Fitchburg coach, her past teams have had a suspect reputation and her team last night did play physically and aggressively, but in all honesty, I felt it was in response to early 'questionable' plays by a few of the usual suspects on the Lunenburg squad. Not to excuse the behavior on either side at all, but I think with all the various basketball leagues these girls play in nowadays, we have to acknowledge that there are alot of rivalries (personal and team-wise) and animosities between these kids. Given some of the players involved in some of the less savory actions, I'd say this was the case for most of the early chippiness.
I will second that

Leominster, MA

#16 Dec 23, 2010
Disgusted wrote:
Have to agree with abhs25 the lady is a joke and her JV coach is a bigger joke,showboating like idiots, don't have a problem with being encouraging her players and complimenting them, but the antics that were displayed in that Fieldhouse last night were so obnoxious and inappropriate that it makes FHS look like a joke, she should also get some new shoes she is going to ruin the floor with her spike heals with all the jumping around that she does. She is not a peer of her players she should be setting better examples for her players by acting appropriately and being more humble, she should also rein some of her players in, with the dirty play, they are going to seriously hurt someone one of these day, but then again it obviously is the way she coaches because her Gardner High soccer team plays the same way
Well put
SVEN

Clinton, MA

#17 Dec 23, 2010
I was at the game, Lunenburg was clearly out coached(thats a shocker)The coach from FHS was clearly more into the game then the guy that reminded me of a mime. What people do not relize is that unless you run track or cross country no one cares. The superintendent Loxi Jo and her head janitor ( John Londa) have turned their backs on these kids by not allowing them to play basketball. In Lunenburg John and Loxi thought it would be a great idea to close the gyms down at 6pm Mon,Wed,Fri. There is between 400 to 500 kids playing basketball in town, but to save money on the electricity bill this was their solution. Anybody who has had to deal with these two idiots know what I am talking about. John Londa is a BUM and has no business doing this job. Every area is in a financial crunch right now but none of them have turned their backs on the kids like the Lunenburg administraters have. So lets close the gyms down and have the kids play video games and hang out on the street corners instead of playing Basketball. The other person responsible for the downfall of Lunenburg sports is the A.D. Unless the sport involves track or cross country he does not care. If you did not kiss this guys BUTT you were removed from your coaching position. Lunenburg used to be a big sports town Until the three Village Idiots took over. Good Job! Leominster girls are doing pretty well right now in basketball I wish we could get a coach like that, Oh thats right we had him. Open the gyms the kids did not create this problem. There is more to a kids education than school work. Its part of growing up.Every village has an idiot I guess Lunenburg has three.
Go Girls

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Dec 23, 2010
Cry, cry, cry the FHS Bball team played with pride and wanted to win, blame the coaching staff and the lunenburg players for the loss.

Good job FHS Girls keep up the good play!
Bob Hunt

Sterling, MA

#19 Dec 23, 2010
abhs25 wrote:
...Wonder what some of the juniors and seniors think when they see the freshman daughter(average player)of the JV coach starting and getting a bunch of minutes
The kid leading Fitchburg in scoring, you mean?
ABHHS25

Leominster, MA

#20 Dec 24, 2010
yes bob hunt , the freshman who scores all her points in garbage time , the one that her father has taught to flop everytime she goes to the basket. anyone can be the leading scorer of a team when you play the majority of the minutes and take the most shots on the team .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just Another Tuesday 9 hr Voters love LYNCH 8
remember that lynch is out of his mind 20 hr Anthony Zeppole 5
News SJC grants new trial to homeless man in trespas... Jun 24 DCF CPS DSS are ... 1
News Coast Guard: Body recovered from Gulf sailboat ... Jun 24 Think About It 2
Lynch not running for Elected Position anymore Jun 23 Louie 12
Kevin Lynch, Big Fat Blowhard Jun 23 Voters love LYNCH 11
News Plethora of pollen blamed on erratic weather pa... Jun 22 Buzz Lightyear 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages