Tom Donnelly looking out for city's residents, neighborhoods

We all pay taxes and deserve the support and services that allow us to enjoy our fine community. Full Story
Mike

Worcester, MA

#1 Oct 25, 2007
you said "Tom Donnelly will be a mayor who will work hard for all the neighborhoods and people in Fitchburg. Tom Donnelly's first priority is the homeowners and residents of Fitchburg. I urge his election on Tuesday, Nov. 6." I have to disagree, Tom donnelly's 1st priortit is HIMSELF and if it works out for the city then it makes him look good! You have to remember he was on the city council and he is part of Fitchburg's problem! It is time for some new blood in our local government.
Native

Plainville, CT

#2 Oct 25, 2007
Yes! We all do pay taxes and deserve the support and services that allow us to enjoy our fine community and the last thing we need is higher taxes. But unfortunately, our city’s political team which includes Mr. Donnelly has already raised taxes and driven this city onto the doorstep of one other last thing we need, bankruptcy!
Raising water fees, sewer fees, trash fees, and fee after fee on all city residents are nothing less than politically disguised tax hikes.“Politicians and bureaucrats are notorious for manufacturing euphemisms-a clever but deceptive substitute for what they really mean but don’t want to admit. Sometimes a user fee is indeed a user fee. Other times it’s not that at all. Instead it’s a tax hike disguised by a monomer”(L. Reed-Foundation for economic education).

Fitchburg’s future didn't happen here last month. For the past few years, the city has been poised to become home to a new political order. The mayoral preliminary election stimulated a powerful appetite for change and empowered local residents to make that well known on primary day. That hunger for change could also be seen through Mayor Mylott’s city owned rear view mirror and even he refused to challenge it.
Mr. Donnelly, a long time city councilor who was part of “the political team” that lost control of city finances, undoubtedly must be questioning his support base and checking his brakes because it became real obvious that some of his very own supporters,“the ones who’ve been fluffing his suit coat collar”, apparently also refused to ignore that thought and had good reason to be peering over their shoulders while in the voting booths.
His candidate “with experience” strategy has proven to be a doubled edged sword that pretty much cut the laces off of his running shoes.
What Mr. Donnelly needs to understand is that residents of Fitchburg are not as shortsighted as he might have hoped and detaching the present from the past by refusing to take any blame for the current fiscal crisis could prove to be the beginning of the end of his second try at the helm? Not needing a job but wanting it for the love of the city is a hard sell for voters. Having control over a 94 million dollar budget equates to power and voters are not that naïve or concerned about ones “love” for a city that’s been picking away at their wallets.
Questions still remain unanswered regarding Mr. Donnelly’s inability to discern, act or even realize a financial crisis was at hand during his long political tenure and his new attempts at forcing his political opponent into a defensive corner might broach a backswing that could sever his feet.
If Mr. Donnelly really wants change for Fitchburg then maybe he should consider changing his own political tactics by taking on some responsibility for the current fiscal problem and by humbly appealing to “angry voters” with an honest and sincere plea for a pardon with an aggressive agenda for change. That plea, which could be viewed as a sign of strength, might just jumpstart his stalled effort and could be his only hope come voting day.
Former Fitchburg Resident

Damariscotta, ME

#3 Oct 25, 2007
Leigh Mannix says "We all pay taxes and deserve the support and services that allow us to enjoy our fine community. The last thing we need is higher taxes."

What Leigh doesn't realize, and if you go into the City Assessor's Office, you will find that the Business Tax is even HIGHER than that of residents in Fitchburg.

If Mr. Donnelly has it HIS way, it would be the opposite. Mr. Donnelly while being the "illustrious City Councilor" (so he thinks..), is also a BUSINESSMAN (and if he runs his businesses the way he voted in the City Council...I pity his employees/customers).

Mr. Donnelly would basically stick it the homeowners. Lisa Wong would like to do just the opposite, while bringing business back into Fitchburg.

Also, if you look at where your budget has gone to, the Police Department got the largest share of it, with the idea that more cops would bring more businesses back to Main Street. The only businesses that came, were a Soup Kitchen, Welfare Office, and a bunch of nightclubs/bars that bring a rowdy drunken mob, on the main drag of the city? This was done by laying off teachers in the schools, and allowing streets like John Fitch Highway to be a pothole ridden right of way like roads in Ashby!

But yet, Leigh Mannix decides it's better that way, Mr/Mrs Mannix lives in her home, probably far removed from the site of the drunks, prostitutes, drug dealers and homeless that make Main Street, Fitchburg a wonderful place to take your family (or at least you give us that idea).

Fitchburg has had it TOO easy for TOO long, and spent FOOLISHLY during the Lame Duck Mylott Administration. It doesn't need Tom "Mylott Light" Donnelly as mayor.

That's why Lisa Wong...is the future of Fitchburg!
Former Fitchburg Resident

Damariscotta, ME

#4 Oct 25, 2007
Also, I just noticed that Leigh Mannix referred to Fitchburg, "A Fine Community".

Having been BORN in Fitchburg, and lived twice in Fitchburg (once in the 1980s..) and during the past 6 years, I wonder where you are living?

You remind me as what one referred to me as the "Golden Ring of Fitchburg". These are the people who own homes around the city (mostly on the outskirts, like Rollstone, Alpine, Ashburnham Hill Roads, Townsend Street where goes from John Fitch to Lunenburg, and down towards K-Mart area), who are SO removed that they don't see the slumlord owned Apartment buildings teaming with trash, or ever riden up Myrtle Ave, or Highland Avenue, or ever dared to drive down Kimball Street.

No, these folks like Mr/Mrs. Mannix live in their homes in the outskirts, and gripe and complain about their taxes, while the folks in between, who work for a living, and try to live in a crime ridden area!

Folks like Mannixes, are for the rich, which is what Tom Donnelly is for. He doesn't care about those who rent in Fitchburg, Lisa Wong cares about everyone.

Another reason.....time for a change...Lisa Wong

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlie Baker for governor 4 hr echo 2
Police respond to Fitchburg armed robbery 5 hr BillyBob 3
Gov. calls for in-state tuition for immigrants ... (Nov '10) 6 hr Heather 94
Suspect in attempted murder deemed dangerous 7 hr Watching 4
Baker caps big week with Globe endorsement 13 hr Jtn 7
Privacy violations 13 hr Jtn 6
Shrewsbury residents turn out in force to oppos... Wed Watching 1

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match