Mazzarella, Rosa tussle over petition - Sentinel & Enterprise

When a home- rule petition for a liquor license reaches the state Legislature, lawmakers prefer to approve those that arrive with support from all branches of local government, according to Rep. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Dec 16, 2010
Sounds like someone is getting a kick back, ah yes, good old politics in Massachusetts

Since: Nov 10

Leominster, MA

#2 Dec 16, 2010
This is really not about the process or the policy, it's about the need for another bar/restaurant. The reason for the license, according to Xarras, is that he needs a place for the employees of the businesses in Union Products to go. The question to ask is does that area need another bar/restaurant. If you look approximately 1 mile each way of that location you have the following places...Maranda's (Bar, maybe food), Paisanos (Bar, Rest), Gondola (Bar Rest), small brazillian place next to Paisanos (name ?), Taco Loco (Rest), Scoreboards (Bar, Rest), Texas Roadhouse (Bar, Rest)...that's seven places for employees at Union Products to choose from to eat and/or drink. I just don't see why everybody is pushing for bar/rest #8 in an already saturated area. Sure Xarras has the right to open a bar/restaurant but to use the Home Rule Petiion process is misleading the state into thinking there is a need in that area. The decision should lie with the license commission on this spot.
Look into it

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Dec 16, 2010
Rosa also said he's informed Mazzarella that three home-rule petitions for liquor licenses approved by the City Council earlier this year will likely be "dead on arrival" to the Legislature, because they do not have specific sites, or owners and managers, attached to them.

I believe Gardner received more through Home Rule that were not designated sites. They were to be used in the downtown, given to food establishments. By name, Home Rule seems like the community would ask for what they want, as Rosa said earlier in the article

"In my view, the best way to get one of these through is to have a unanimous vote by the City Council and the support of the mayor," Rosa said.

Seems like the Council the Mayor and the Representative need to get on the same page (for once).
The inside game

Redwood City, CA

#4 Dec 16, 2010
rbeland wrote:
This is really not about the process or the policy, it's about the need for another bar/restaurant. The reason for the license, according to Xarras, is that he needs a place for the employees of the businesses in Union Products to go. The question to ask is does that area need another bar/restaurant. If you look approximately 1 mile each way of that location you have the following places...Maranda's (Bar, maybe food), Paisanos (Bar, Rest), Gondola (Bar Rest), small brazillian place next to Paisanos (name ?), Taco Loco (Rest), Scoreboards (Bar, Rest), Texas Roadhouse (Bar, Rest)...that's seven places for employees at Union Products to choose from to eat and/or drink. I just don't see why everybody is pushing for bar/rest #8 in an already saturated area. Sure Xarras has the right to open a bar/restaurant but to use the Home Rule Petiion process is misleading the state into thinking there is a need in that area. The decision should lie with the license commission on this spot.
If all was on the up and up then your logic may have merit. Unfortunately that is a big if. The fact is that this is extremely political and Xarras will never get a license from the license commission as long as Dean is mayor.

If you want a little background on how the mayor controls the licenses in the city just talk to a few bar owners that have been through the process.

Sounds like you are either naive of how this mayor runs this city or you are one of his disciples.
Not a fan

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Dec 16, 2010
Who doesn't the mayor tussle with? If your not one of his disciples or he's not going to benefit in some way then the fight is on. He's far from the facade he puts on for public display.
tax Payer

Braintree, MA

#6 Dec 16, 2010
It is not hard to see that the Mayor wants to control all aspects of this process.

How could anyone actually believe "anything" could happen in Leominster that "Deano" cannot take credit for and control?

The process was open and fair anyone can file a petition as long as they are site specific with the name of the holders of the license. The State requires this to take away the ability for Mayors to use the licenses for political gain or revenue, which is done.

Remember this process just went through the city last year, the petition was voted by the city council, signed by the Mayor, than approved by the state legislators and issued. The Mayor DID signed off on the certification last year to go forward as a home- room petition. So for the Mayor to now say Mr. Xarras’s petition “certainly not consistent with our policy”. Is not true

This is really all about politics our Mayor has been in scandal after scandal, his creditability is seriously diminished.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#7 Dec 16, 2010
Find it hard to fathom there are no "Free" licenses, what happened to the one issued to Sammy's Pub? And the new Chinese Buffet that opened up on Rt 12, must
have a license ?

License issuing does not belong soley to a mayor, period.
needadrink

Braintree, MA

#8 Dec 16, 2010
tax Payer wrote:
It is not hard to see that the Mayor wants to control all aspects of this process.
How could anyone actually believe "anything" could happen in Leominster that "Deano" cannot take credit for and control?
The process was open and fair anyone can file a petition as long as they are site specific with the name of the holders of the license. The State requires this to take away the ability for Mayors to use the licenses for political gain or revenue, which is done.
Remember this process just went through the city last year, the petition was voted by the city council, signed by the Mayor, than approved by the state legislators and issued. The Mayor DID signed off on the certification last year to go forward as a home- room petition. So for the Mayor to now say Mr. Xarras’s petition “certainly not consistent with our policy”. Is not true
This is really all about politics our Mayor has been in scandal after scandal, his creditability is seriously diminished.
I think if you really want politics, look at the last business owner who took this road and see how he got his license. No applicant for a license should be able to circumvent the license commission- that is their job and expertise, not to be bitter when you dont get your way and get one then go cry to the state. but money buys everything i guess
check the facts

Redwood City, CA

#10 Dec 16, 2010
needadrink wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if you really want politics, look at the last business owner who took this road and see how he got his license. No applicant for a license should be able to circumvent the license commission- that is their job and expertise, not to be bitter when you dont get your way and get one then go cry to the state. but money buys everything i guess
This is exactly the same process the friend of the mayor used in the past. That was ok this is not? Three guesses why? The key to the answer is the word - friend

The credibility of the mayor is gone.
Funny

Leominster, MA

#11 Dec 16, 2010
rbeland wrote:
This argument holds no water. Seeing as though 99% of the employees are illegal immigrants bussed in from Lowell I doubt they are kicking back and enjoying a drink in Leominster. This place was busted before but why pay employees the minimum wage when you can rape them for $4 an hour?
Toni

Leominster, MA

#12 Dec 16, 2010
This does not sound right at all. The city has a license commission or authority and to me Xarras is attempting to go around that authority. Let Xarras and everyone else go to the license authority and let them decide who gets a license. Workng around the system as Xarras has attempted opens the door for corruption. If the city wants new licenses then let them first get them and then allow the license commission authority to do there job. No end run around the system.
Funny

Leominster, MA

#13 Dec 16, 2010
Will the shame ever cease? The guy just wants to serve some beer, he's not after your first born. When will it end? You can't even sell a gallon of milk without a license!
Headliner

Leominster, MA

#14 Dec 16, 2010
The headline should have read Mazzarella Stands up to Council Fraud & Friends. These bloggers know what is going on here. They are the same people who try to twist everything the mayor does and make it a negitive. There is a bar 100 feet from Xarras's building so do they really need another one. This is the biggest and obvious scam that I've ever seen. Knights of Columbus,Twins Cage, Pazzannos are all within 100 yards and the council has the nerve to say we need another bar. Lets face it,Councilor Dombrowski is the attorney for Xarras and lobbied the others to pass this scam. Once again the mayor stands against what could have been a disaster. I guess all those Rosa signs on all Xarras's properties worked out just perfectly for him. Whats most entertaining is the bloggers who try to twist and turn the truth. No more licenses in that area. There are enough .
Jim

Gardner, MA

#15 Dec 16, 2010
THANK YOU "HEADLINER" When the writing is spelled out real clear, you can see how people try and bend the law. Some of Leominster's councilos should smartin up a little bit. Shows me they don't work with the Mayor as they should.
Geez

Leominster, MA

#16 Dec 16, 2010
If this is the way to get a liquor license when one isn't available why do we have a License Commission? All these people in town have submitted applications over and over for "only one" license, and one can circumvent the system by doing this? What a joke!
Geez

Leominster, MA

#17 Dec 16, 2010
"The credibility of the mayor is gone"

Really? I'm no huge supporter but who the hell WITH credibility is going to beat him? Let's be honest!
Why

Leominster, MA

#18 Dec 16, 2010
Geez wrote:
If this is the way to get a liquor license when one isn't available why do we have a License Commission? All these people in town have submitted applications over and over for "only one" license, and one can circumvent the system by doing this? What a joke!
Why did the mayor use this exact same process before to get his friend a license?
pattern

Leominster, MA

#19 Dec 16, 2010
Jim wrote:
THANK YOU "HEADLINER" When the writing is spelled out real clear, you can see how people try and bend the law. Some of Leominster's councilos should smartin up a little bit. Shows me they don't work with the Mayor as they should.
Isn't the article about Rosa tussling with the mayor?

Rosa tussle's with mayor, Flannagan has a hard time with mayor, Councilors always talk about how difficult it is to work with the mayor. Is there a pattern?

Can you imagine what it would be like if we had a mayor that could work with people?

The only one that the mayor seems to get along with are young single women.
haha

Leominster, MA

#20 Dec 17, 2010
I guess Dombrowski and Xarras little end run did not work.

The Mayor gets along with Rosa and Flanagan. If he did not then they would not have their job. He would have run for the position and it isn't to hard to figure out the outcome of that election. They all get along just fine and the Mayor gets along with 5 or 6 of the councilors. Mr Pattern is trying to make it look like we have a city in ruins here, when the players are all on the same page.

Just because Xarras can't get what he wants, he gets his gang to write to this forum.

Since: Nov 10

Leominster, MA

#21 Dec 17, 2010
Why wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did the mayor use this exact same process before to get his friend a license?
Why don't you use names? Why badmouth the Mayor and just hide behind this type of forum. If you have info on something the Mayor did for his "friend" then why not share? You can all criticize the Mayor all day long but the fact is you can look next door to Fitchburg or Gardner or anywhere in the area and see that thanks to our Mayor Leominster is in the best financial position its ever been in. The City Council is full of guys/girls that come and go year after year...the Mayor has been there for years and things only get better each year. How many downtowns in the area are as clean as Leominsters? How many cities or towns have any sort of stabilization fund? Why does every article in the paper turn into an Anti-Mazzarella party? How about one of you get out there and challenge him for Mayor. And before you all start, yes I'm a supporter of the Mayor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 1 hr Saima 112
lynch for mayor 2014 (Apr '12) 2 hr The Insider 302
Massachusetts town drops plan for ban on tobacc... 6 hr Tammy 3
Where is Kevin Lynch? 10 hr The Insider 6
Lynch for Toilet Bowls 12 hr BillyBob 6
2 boys, mother burned during Fitchburg bonfire Wed Obamas son 9
undesireables Wed curious 7

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match