Twin City voters head to the polls

Mayoral candidate Lisa Wong said she is ready and excited for Election Day. Wong said her campaign spent the weekend canvassing the city and reaching out to voters. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Red Balloon

Amherst, NH

#21 Nov 7, 2007
Native,

Sadly, you've missed the boat on becoming a slum-lord. You should have started under the Mylott's cronyistic dictatorship.

As we all know, now that the new day has dawned, Lisa Wong is going to clean up the neighborhoods. What's more, now the police will have to embrace the idea of community policing. I think that means no new slum-lords or something. Anyhow, no two ways about it.

Nice try Native, but you're a day late and a dollar short. Don't despair though; the upshot is, she's going to create jobs, so you'll have plenty of alternatives to poultry-cum-narcotics vending and slum-lordship.
Native

Plainville, CT

#22 Nov 7, 2007
Red Balloon wrote:
Native,
Sadly, you've missed the boat on becoming a slum-lord. You should have started under the Mylott's cronyistic dictatorship.
As we all know, now that the new day has dawned, Lisa Wong is going to clean up the neighborhoods. What's more, now the police will have to embrace the idea of community policing. I think that means no new slum-lords or something. Anyhow, no two ways about it.
Nice try Native, but you're a day late and a dollar short. Don't despair though; the upshot is, she's going to create jobs, so you'll have plenty of alternatives to poultry-cum-narcotics vending and slum-lordship.
Oh well! I guess it wasn't such a good idea with Unitil and all. Maybe Lisa will let me start my own white water rafting business on the Nashua river? Or I could start a bottled water business. The options are endless. It's so refreshing to know that change is coming. Any change will be better than what has been.

“Baise toi.”

Since: Nov 07

Amherst, NH

#23 Nov 7, 2007
Native, now you're on to something! Rafting on the Nash... Reminds me of a funny story (well, not so funny as it is long.) I think I can tell this without revealing my secret identity...

I'm sure everyone remembers how the river used to be, and how much cleaner it is today. Back around 1987 or 1988 or so, I got a phone call from a writer at National Geographic magazine. They were doing an article on the clean-up of several once-polluted waterways, one of which was going to be the Nashua.

Conversation went along the lines of him telling me how the river was now a haven for canoeists, sport fishermen, etc. I laughed and laughed. Told him that while the river was certainly cleaner than it once was, and that the bottom was actually visible at a depth greater than a few inches for the first time in many years, that there was no way anyone who lived locally would ever dream of eating anything caught in it, and that any canoeist brave enough to venture in past rte 31 who fell out of his canoe had better run to the nearest source of clean water and scrub, and scrub.

He seemed surprised, as this was not what he had been told. We talked for a while, and then he thanked me and hung up.

He sent me a complimentary copy of the magazine when the article was published. They went ahead with the canoeing/fishing angle anyway. I imagine this article can still be found today. In it, there was a photo of the old Aubuchon hardware warehouse at the corner of River and Main Streets, taken from the bridge by the old Cumberland's.

I bet Lisa could help write the grant request! On the other hand, if you're truly a "Native," you might not fit the demographic.
Native

Plainville, CT

#24 Nov 8, 2007
Bileman wrote:
Native, now you're on to something! Rafting on the Nash... Reminds me of a funny story (well, not so funny as it is long.) I think I can tell this without revealing my secret identity...
I'm sure everyone remembers how the river used to be, and how much cleaner it is today. Back around 1987 or 1988 or so, I got a phone call from a writer at National Geographic magazine. They were doing an article on the clean-up of several once-polluted waterways, one of which was going to be the Nashua.
Conversation went along the lines of him telling me how the river was now a haven for canoeists, sport fishermen, etc. I laughed and laughed. Told him that while the river was certainly cleaner than it once was, and that the bottom was actually visible at a depth greater than a few inches for the first time in many years, that there was no way anyone who lived locally would ever dream of eating anything caught in it, and that any canoeist brave enough to venture in past rte 31 who fell out of his canoe had better run to the nearest source of clean water and scrub, and scrub.
He seemed surprised, as this was not what he had been told. We talked for a while, and then he thanked me and hung up.
He sent me a complimentary copy of the magazine when the article was published. They went ahead with the canoeing/fishing angle anyway. I imagine this article can still be found today. In it, there was a photo of the old Aubuchon hardware warehouse at the corner of River and Main Streets, taken from the bridge by the old Cumberland's.
I bet Lisa could help write the grant request! On the other hand, if you're truly a "Native," you might not fit the demographic.
Ralph! Why not Gallman?
Red Baron

Damariscotta, ME

#25 Nov 8, 2007
Hey Bileman: Keep smoking the crack...you are actually sounding like someone who is really smart.
Just like the tennants...Donnelly wants to dirty his bathtub, and turn his properties into chicken coops!

Cluck, cluck!
Red Balloon wrote:
One more thing, Bileman... I'm gay! Forgot to mention that.

“Baise toi.”

Since: Nov 07

Amherst, NH

#26 Nov 9, 2007
Red, I think it's clear to all of us just how smart you are. I only wish I weren't reminded of your sexual appetites with every post.

Think you could tone the "gay" thing down a little?
landlord Donnelly

Fitchburg, MA

#27 Jul 6, 2013
Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have no experience with being a landlord or having a "tenant from hell". It's clear your definition of a slumlord is anyone who rents out property. Some "hit and run tenants" create code violations then call the board of health just to avoid being evicted or paying months and months of back rent. They stiff the landlord until they have enough cash to put a deposit on another place. I don't think Donnelly gave his tenant permission to raise chickens in the apartment do you? They went back 23 years with that article and there's not an apartment in the city without a code violation.
What is a good ole boy network?
American

Gardner, MA

#28 Jul 6, 2013
Lynch, are you screwing around with old posts?
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#29 Jul 6, 2013
American wrote:
Lynch, are you screwing around with old posts?
Old posts?? I find them interesting. It wasn't me but they are good reads.

It is comical to read what people stated about Wong and what they state now.

Champion Mylott then throwing him under the bus.

And who is this Connolly guy, he is interesting; he seems to have more enemies than I do. Even some of his friends seem to be enemies of his. Wow, talk about back stabbing friends.
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#30 Jul 6, 2013
Donnelly seems to have many enemies. He doesn't seem like a bad guy. He seems to have the wrong heritage in this group.

It was like the Italian mob in Boston. We would tell the Irish guys to stay away from them as they were being used!
Rollstone

Forestdale, MA

#32 Jul 7, 2013
Lynch wrote:
Donnelly seems to have many enemies. He doesn't seem like a bad guy. He seems to have the wrong heritage in this group.
It was like the Italian mob in Boston. We would tell the Irish guys to stay away from them as they were being used!
And we know how you feel about Italians...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlie Baker for governor 2 hr Bob t 8
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 5 hr Running out of Time 53
Dan Kirouac returns to Townsend, MA Sun Jeremiah 2
Main street proposal will set Fitchburg back 40... Sun Lynch for Mayor 17
Wong takes chiefs job Sun Jnt 5
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Sun Malden Resident 1,167
Woman's husband likes to wear pantyhose - Senti... (Jul '08) Sep 26 Keeping an Open Mind 47

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Jobs

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]