of 2
Next Last
Fitchburg

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jul 20, 2011
Validity of JR's Pub liquor license under ABCC review

By Paula J. Owen TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

1 comment | Add a comment

BOSTON — The state Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission yesterday held a hearing on the validity of the 2001 transfer of a liquor license for JR's Pub at 14 North St., a controversial bar owned by the family of a Fitchburg police officer.

It was still undetermined if the bar's license issued to JR's Inc. was valid over the last decade, Commissioner Susan T. Corcoran said, adding that she could not comment on whether the bar can operate while the issue is under review.

According to the secretary of state's office, JR's Inc. does not exist. The corporation formed in 1981 by Kerry C. Siomos Sr., listed as the president and treasurer, was dissolved in 1998. When Mr. Siomos died in 2001, his children, Fitchburg Police Sgt. Kerry C. Siomos Jr. and Susan C. Campbell, became administrators of his estate and took ownership of the bar, according to a report by ABCC investigator Caroline L. Guarino-Wilichoski.

"According to the secretary of state's website, this corporate entity has had dissolution by court order by the secretary of state on Aug. 31, 1998," she said. "I advised Susan Campbell and Kerry Siomos Jr. of the issue with the corporation that holds the license being dissolved and also that the license was transferred without approval."

She said the siblings were operating the bar under a probate estate.

Ms. Guarino-Wilichoski said when she spoke with Sgt. Siomos on May 5, he told her he thought he transferred the license to his sister's husband, Robert H. Campbell, before his father died. Mr. Campbell has been paying taxes for JR's Inc., as sole proprietor of Family Corp., for years, said the investigator.

However, the local license commission approved the bar's liquor license renewals to JR's Inc. since 1985. Moreover, Sgt. Siomos and his family applied for building and Board of Health permits over the years under JR's Inc., and all current occupancy and health permits for the bar are issued to the corporation.

At yesterday's hearing, Robert and Susan Campbell said that when Sgt. Siomos and Mrs. Campbell took over the estate and the bar in 2001, they did not use an attorney and a family friend guided them through the process.

Mrs. Campbell told Ms. Corcoran that they thought the process was "pretty simplistic."

"The state didn't ever say anything to us," Mrs. Campbell said.

The ABCC is also reviewing the pub's liquor license transfer this year, from JR's Inc. to Mr. Campbell, who applied for the transfer. It was approved by the local license commission last month.
sgt still owns bar

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Jul 20, 2011
It sounds like as far as the ABCC investigator,Ms. Guarino-Wilichoski , feels that the sgt still legally owns half the bar and half the license.

Now this would make sense of the free bartending and the new parking lot accomodations.

The sgt signed "son" on the permits. Maybe he didn't know that he owned half the bar and half the license all this time.

Their mother was suppose to be the manager. Who hired her as manager? I don't know??? Is she covered by workers comp as an employee? Who orders the signs for the place? Oh yea, everything done at the place is family favors!

Do you think that Chief demoura was lied to? All I can take out of this mess is that the ABCC looks at the sgt at this time as half owner. The Fitchburg commissioner doesn't know who owns the license as they don't even know that there is a patio and car shows there.But he states that people always thought that he gave favortism to the place.

Is anyone else confused over the facts of the matter? I thought that the Sgt was a teacher, I also thought that the brother n law was a teacher.

And then to add to everything Mr. Campbell is running unopposed for ward 5 councilor. If anyone sent pictures to his office of illegal going ons at his bar what do you think would happen to the complaint?

It sounds like a case of "I don't know nothing", "a bar is owned" where", where can I park? Oh thats right I do remember that I had the lot paved! Why doesn't he just give the lot to his brother n law for free also? The value is $6,000 and the bar and it's license is probably $200,000 for my half. I mean, I mean, not my half, I just do all the work at the place.
Whats wrong

Leominster, MA

#3 Jul 20, 2011
"under review". I'm sure the state had no problem cashing the checks each year for the fee's. Whose going to review them?
Darn Tootin from W Newton

Marlborough, MA

#4 Jul 20, 2011
So, the public gets left in the dark on whether or not the Siomos clan can even operate the bar right now. Either they can operate or they can't. It sounds to me that they can't. The license is currently held by a corporation that went defunct 13 years back or so. The fact that the Siomos clan tried to fix their f-up by selling something that they don't even legally own to Bobby C for a dollar is neither here nor there. You can't sell what you don't legally own. And, it sure as hell appears that at this moment they don't legally own it (the liquor license).

I say shut the dump down immediately. Then wait for a proper decision to be made by the Mass ABCC. And, at the same time give Robert Bourque a good square boot in the A$$ and send him on his way. He has proven himself to be ineffective, and far from impartial.

If ONLY Chuckles The Cop had behaved himself over at JR's. None of this would have surfaced. Oh, the shame of it all; Oh, the shame of it all.....

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#5 Jul 20, 2011
Why was Lynch not at this hearing?

"Rightfully, I should be able to testify at this hearing! I have sent pictures to the city council, the Mayor and the Chief of repeated illegal behavior.I will be requesting to testify. Let them dispute what I have to say! No one has the cahonaes to stand up for the interests of the citizens of Fitchburg??"
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/fitchburg-ma/...

What happened Lynch, no "cahonaes"? Lemmee guess, you wrote another long rabbid rant and sent in pictures to the ABCC..

Bwahahahahhaha ahahahah ahahahha Bwahahahhaha hahahahhahahahahhahah...
Interesting post

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Jul 21, 2011
Darn Tootin from W Newton wrote:
So, the public gets left in the dark on whether or not the Siomos clan can even operate the bar right now. Either they can operate or they can't. It sounds to me that they can't. The license is currently held by a corporation that went defunct 13 years back or so. The fact that the Siomos clan tried to fix their f-up by selling something that they don't even legally own to Bobby C for a dollar is neither here nor there. You can't sell what you don't legally own. And, it sure as hell appears that at this moment they don't legally own it (the liquor license).
I say shut the dump down immediately. Then wait for a proper decision to be made by the Mass ABCC. And, at the same time give Robert Bourque a good square boot in the A$$ and send him on his way. He has proven himself to be ineffective, and far from impartial.
If ONLY Chuckles The Cop had behaved himself over at JR's. None of this would have surfaced. Oh, the shame of it all; Oh, the shame of it all.....
Logic and information given would definitely revoke the license. then if they want to open then they need to get in line. No one can tell the truth amoungst them all. Through all the different stories that they are telling, I see one fact. Sgt Siomos still owns 50% of this bar, period! Robert and Susan Campbell own the other 50%. Why one party wants to remain as a hidden investor is beyond me. One day he gave it to his mother, then his rother n law and then he gave it to his brother n law before his father past. Which is it? The way I see, one half pays the fee and the other half invest in the parking lot! It is obvious.

Robert Bourque should definitely be let go. 43 yrs of blindness is enough! It is obvious to a fifth grader that this guy turns the other way! If he stays hen every bar in the city has to be exempt from workers comp, unemployment tax, SS tax and all other obligations as you can't allow one place to state that all its employees are volunteers and then the Chief of Plce OKs this nonsense. But the Chief of police comments on Venues and bumbles,ect. There is definitely a double standard here! Lets all be honest, what comes out of bars? Drinking and driving, fights, drug deals ect.

If I was to guess I would say that Mr. Bourque has attended cars shows at JRs!
Detective Furman

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Jul 22, 2011
Interesting post wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic and information given would definitely revoke the license. then if they want to open then they need to get in line. No one can tell the truth amoungst them all. Through all the different stories that they are telling, I see one fact. Sgt Siomos still owns 50% of this bar, period! Robert and Susan Campbell own the other 50%. Why one party wants to remain as a hidden investor is beyond me. One day he gave it to his mother, then his rother n law and then he gave it to his brother n law before his father past. Which is it? The way I see, one half pays the fee and the other half invest in the parking lot! It is obvious.
Robert Bourque should definitely be let go. 43 yrs of blindness is enough! It is obvious to a fifth grader that this guy turns the other way! If he stays hen every bar in the city has to be exempt from workers comp, unemployment tax, SS tax and all other obligations as you can't allow one place to state that all its employees are volunteers and then the Chief of Plce OKs this nonsense. But the Chief of police comments on Venues and bumbles,ect. There is definitely a double standard here! Lets all be honest, what comes out of bars? Drinking and driving, fights, drug deals ect.
If I was to guess I would say that Mr. Bourque has attended cars shows at JRs!
Do you have pictures? If you've really been concerned and have been paying attention like Lynch then you should have some pictures. Maybe you should get ahold of Lynch and see if he has any? It would be a slam dunk!
Venues

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Jul 23, 2011
" Just like 3rd Base, the License Commision wisely did not pull their license (which an appeal to the ABCC would have overturned), instead they put so many restrictions on them they will go out of business"
". On Monday, the Fitchburg License Commission voted to suspend the club's liquor license for six days, revoke its entertainment license for 30 days and permanently change its closing time from 2 a.m. to midnight."
"Venues Nightclub, the Putnam Street bar that recently lost its certificate of inspection for code violations but then re-opened, has been summonsed to an Aug"
"There is definitely a bias being shown by the License Commission. Many more problems at other places, but they want to focus on this place. Wink. Wink"
" They are requesting that Venues be held to a higher standard than other bars/restaurants in the area. Shouldn't the standards be the same for everyone? "
"How is a domestic fight, in a parking lot, NOT OWENED by Venues, a Venues issue"

Sciab is

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Jul 23, 2011
Why doesn't everyone just blog by their real names so we can better understand where everyone is coming from?
U R Not Smart

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Jul 23, 2011
Sciab is wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just blog by their real names so we can better understand where everyone is coming from?
Because we have violent felons on here who seem to not have an issue with hunting prime down and starting fights.
License board

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Jul 23, 2011
Does the city of Fitchburg Board of License Commission check for all proper permitting on a business?
Isn't there a need for an entertainment permit? Has the fire prevention bureau signed off on the building? Is there handicap access? Is there a permit for a TV,radio?
From what I understand a business is required to pull all sorts of permits.
Other Bar owners have been stating that they need to carry workers comp for their bartenders. Then there is an unemployment tax?
The Fitchburg License board has seemed to gotten involved in checking of proper permitting for all other bars.

What is really confusing in all this is the fact that Sgt. Siomos still owns 50% of the bar legally but the Chief of police doesn't understand this fact. At present the ABCC views Sgt. Siomos and his sister as equal owners. How can the Chief not understand this fact?

Then there is a lot of questions concerning the license board. It is mentioned that JRs was caught selling liquer to underage drinkers, then they downplay this fact by mentioning six others were caught also! This board should be mandated to show all the documents of the under cover stings since and what bars have been visited.
compliance order

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Jul 23, 2011
6 LICENSING
&#305; Visit the Board of License Commissioners to receive an application for a Liquor license. If a restaurant,
file for a Common Victualler License
Submit a completed application for a Liquor License. An application is considered complete when the
following documents are submitted to the License Commission Office:
1. All required ABCC forms completed along with a $200 check payable to ABCC
2. Business Plan
3. A floor plan that shows how the business is going to be set up within the principal structure
4. If construction is needed, an estimate from contractors and a time line for completion
5. If a corporation, Articles of Organization, application for manager who must be over 21 years of
6. If applicant is purchasing an existing business, a dated and signed P&S agreement
7. If applicant is leasing the premise, a dated and signed copy of the lease agreement
8. If applicant is purchasing the premise, a dated and signed P&S agreement
9. Documents verifying sources of financing (loan papers, six months of checking account
statements, stock sales etc.)
10. Zoning Determination, Zoning variance (if needed), Planning board approval (if needed ),
Building Permit if renovating, Board of Health application for inspections and a tax compliance
certificate.
compliance order

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Jul 23, 2011
There are many needed permits such as dance, entertainment, outside seating,events ect that need to be sought out before operation.
The city codes are specific in reference to business transfer.
Has the owners and bartenders taken the TIPS program? Training for Intervention Procedures by servers of Alcohol?
When a license is being transferred a Business Plan must be submitted. Lease and or ownership of property must be shown. a form of Intent with explanation must be given.
Then ZONING requirements must be met such as parking availability ect.
Upon transfer,a Business Certificate must be obtained along with a purchase and sale agreement.
It seems to me that many of the requirements such as a Business plan have not been submitted. How many bartenders are needed? Will there be dancing as there is load and space requirements?
And food is another question, will there be a kitchen? Has the fire department conducted inspections?
compliance order

Fitchburg, MA

#14 Jul 23, 2011
Here is a guide for permitting ect. This info may be helpful:This is a guide to help you through the licensing process to receive a new
Liquor license or transfer an existing license. It is recommended that you
contact an attorney to help you with the process.
1 BUSINESS PLAN
&#305; Draft a business plan. Business plans are part of a continuous process to define your business
concept, understand your market, set goals and effectively meet client needs. Typically, plans
encompass operational issues including, but not limited to, the following:
What services and products will your business provide and what needs do these
fulfill?
Who is your target market and how will you reach them? What hours will you be open?
If a restaurant, what type of food will you provide and what is your menu?
How will your company secure and repay financing?
Any information you feel will help the License Commission make an informed decision
concerning the granting of a Liquor License to your business.
2 LOCATION
&#305; Choose a location; sign a lease or P&S agreement. Secure financing. All agreements should be made
contingent upon receiving approval for a liquor license.
3 ZONING AND PERMITTING
&#305; Visit the Building Commissioner at the Fitchburg City Hall
File a Form of Intent. Along with the Form of Intent you must submit a floor plan that shows
how the business is going to be set up within the principal structure, a certified plot plan
showing adequate off street parking and setbacks to property lines.
Be prepared to provide an explanation about your business and intentions.
Set up inspection appointment to receive Certificate of Inspection
The Building Commissioner will review your application and write a Zoning Determination
that will outline step-by-step what you need to do to proceed with your business. Follow the
steps in the Zoning Determination.
&#305; If building or renovating: Submit floor plan; Receive building permit
Contact the Fitchburg Fire Department to ensure that your facility meets fire prevention
standards; file for and receive additional permits
Visit the Fitchburg Board of Health
&#305; Set up an appointment to receive a Food Establishment Permit and any other permits necessary for your
business.
compliance order

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Jul 23, 2011
"showing adequate off street parking and setbacks to property lines".

Why did the license commission state that parking wasn't an isueor hem to oversee? Is the business in the overlay district? Does it meet the parking requirements?

There seems to have been a lot of overlooked acceptions here! All business tranfers must abide by all the rules and regs and they must meet the criteria!

Was Robert Campbell filing taxes fo the business in representation of his wife who owns 50% of the business? Records need to be researched back to when the move first occured.

Surely Fitchburgs license commission knows of all the rules concerning transfer which require Business plans ect.

Is the license Commissioner of 43 yrs part of the good ole boy network?
compliance order

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Jul 23, 2011
Upon this transfer was there a Fire Prevention Bureau inspection? Surely if the fire Chief were to of signed the necessary permitting he must of atleast mentioned the illegal parking in the towing lane and on FFD property as an issue?
There is now documented proof of this illegal parking in front of the FFD as this issue can no longer be ignored! I am sure that the Fire Chief must have stated that no patron of JRs can park in the FFD parking?
compliance order

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Jul 23, 2011
5 TAXES
&#305; Visit the Fitchburg Treasurer’s Office for a tax compliance certificate.Another helpful link ..\LicenseComm\License_Commiss ion_Matrix.pdf
and a form that would show how many times a certain bar was approached in a sting:Minimum Purchase Law Compliance Check
Results Tracking Form
Underage Operative Name & Age __________
Police Officer/Investigator __________
City __________
Day and Date __________
Outlets Visited
__________ Number of Liquor Stores Locations Visited (Off-Premise)
__________ Number of Liquor Stores Asked for ID
__________ Number of Liquor Stores Cited
__________ Number of Restaurants/Bars/Clubs Visited (On-Premise)
__________ Number of Restaurants/Bars/Clubs Asked for ID
__________ Number of Restaurants/Bars/Clubs Cited
__________ Total Number of Alcohol Outlets Surveyed
__________ Total Number of Violations Issued
Other Information or Comments, including dates for violation hearings:
compliance order

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Jul 23, 2011
10. Entertainment Permits
10.1 An application for an entertainment permit will include a specific description of the type of entertainment
provided. Ex.: DJ with amplified sound system, acoustic guitar with no amplifier, three piece band with amplified
sound system.
10.2 There will be no amplified music outdoors and no speakers from amplified music inside will be placed outdoors
except with special permission from the Board on individual days.
10.3 Speakers inside the premise will be placed to face into the premise.
10.4 All entertainment shall be conducted so that no unreasonable noise shall be audible, under any circumstances,
upon the sidewalk adjoining the licensed premises or upon any abutting premises. The Board will determine
unreasonable noise.

Here is the link:http://www.fitchburgma.go v/government/departments/CityC lerk/License%20Comm%20Regulati ons%20and%20GuidelinesRevisedA pril%204,%202011.pdf

There are many needed reviews that the Fitchburg License Commission MUST follow before transfering a license. I believe that the Fitchburg Licnse commission is also in violation for not requiring the tranfer to produce required information.

Here is some legal advice for interested parties: It is evident that sgt. Siomos legally owns 50% of the bar. Maybe he can say that he owns 50% of the business name only?

Wow, no matter how it breaks down, this license is no longer there! It is impossible by the laws and regulations to allow this license to skip revocation. A new license must be applied for as there is no legal way around this need. There are requirements that must be kept. How can Mayor Wong ignore this double standard of rules and regs within Fitchburg?
Obsessed

Fitchburg, MA

#19 Jul 23, 2011
Lynch, your obsession with this establishment is way out of control. If I were that cop or anyone else associated with that place, I would have filed a 258E harassment prevention order against you long ago.

Your constant rants on these threads alone expose a very angry twisted person with a clear and obvious hatred towards this place and its owners.

When considering your violent criminal past, along with your pending assault case that actually happened in front of the place, coupled with this very real obvious on-line obsession of yours, it isn't very difficult to figure out you are not of sound mind.
The Insider

Hyannis, MA

#20 Jul 23, 2011
Obsessed wrote:
Lynch, your obsession with this establishment is way out of control. If I were that cop or anyone else associated with that place, I would have filed a 258E harassment prevention order against you long ago.
Your constant rants on these threads alone expose a very angry twisted person with a clear and obvious hatred towards this place and its owners.
When considering your violent criminal past, along with your pending assault case that actually happened in front of the place, coupled with this very real obvious on-line obsession of yours, it isn't very difficult to figure out you are not of sound mind.
I don't know why he is so obsessed with this place. Doesn't he have anything better to do with his life? Where does he find the time to worry about this establishment?

Obviously he will be staking out the Johnsonia to see if Clark will be entering the building. "Click, click, click" I can hear his camera now. Go get em Mr.Lynch! Woo Hoo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police respond to Fitchburg roommates' fight 3 hr jtn 1
News Woman's husband likes to wear pantyhose - Senti... (Jul '08) 3 hr Citizen X 66
Lynch for city councilor at large 19 hr Sam 75
News State education chief recommends state takeover... Wed jtn 1
News Fitchburg woman arrested twice over weekend Tue Diligence 1
News Leominster man shot by police arraigned at hosp... Tue concerned citizen 4
Criminal Cop or an honest police officer Tue conspiricy theorist 28
Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]