Police: Gaps in gun records stunt progress of cases

Mar 3, 2014 Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise 51

Police say holes in firearms records make it difficult to track the source of weapons they recover from crime scenes.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Andrea

Concord, MA

#1 Mar 3, 2014
Jtn shoots a good load

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#3 Mar 3, 2014
Yes, no doubt having the DNA of every man, woman and child in the country on file would go a long way towards solving more crimes (or at least finding someone to take the fall for the crime).

There are lots of ways to solve more crimes, some of which are being tried right now in previously free Western Democracies. Constant police surveillance of all citizens, wiretapping private calls and emails, doing away with rules for obtaining evidence would all make things a lot easier on the police.

Is that REALLY what we want?

“This town is nuts...”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#4 Mar 4, 2014
Sometimes I just have to laugh at how stupid people can be. This article clearly says that gun owners are required to register all firearm transactions in their state yet for some reason they are unable to use their records to track down who owns the guns they find. It even goes so far as to say how difficult it is to enforce such registration laws, yet their solution to the problem is a national registry! Lol!!

They want to fix the problem of gaps in their registry system, which they can't enforce, with a second and more broad system of registry that also can't be enforced. Too funny.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#5 Mar 4, 2014
Ask CANADA how effective their gun registry is.

Here's a hint..........it isn't.
Is there even one

Gardner, MA

#6 Mar 4, 2014
of you willing to offer one possible solution to the easy access to Guns criminals have? All sorts of griping and paranoia and tough talk, these people who should not have guns end up with guns, many times, they come from a previously "responsible Gun Owner", until they are not and their guns get into others hands.

And honestly, idiot, if it's possible to buy a gun at a gun show, even out of state, how hard do you think it is to drive that gun into another state?

One solution besides "every body carries", which has been tried long before you were born and failed! Anyone?
Dispassionate Logic

Carlisle, PA

#7 Mar 4, 2014
Armed Veteran wrote:
Ask CANADA how effective their gun registry is.
Here's a hint..........it isn't.
US: 10.2 gun deaths per 100,000 people

Canada: 2.5 gun deaths per 100,000 people.

Looks pretty effective to me.

Southeast Virginia

#8 Mar 5, 2014
Dispassionate Logic wrote:
<quoted text>
OK....now prove to the group how the gun registry has ANYTHING to do with those stats.
Thug

Tupelo, MS

#9 Mar 5, 2014
Is there even one wrote:
of you willing to offer one possible solution to the easy access to Guns criminals have? All sorts of griping and paranoia and tough talk, these people who should not have guns end up with guns, many times, they come from a previously "responsible Gun Owner", until they are not and their guns get into others hands.
And honestly, idiot, if it's possible to buy a gun at a gun show, even out of state, how hard do you think it is to drive that gun into another state?
One solution besides "every body carries", which has been tried long before you were born and failed! Anyone?
Tried long before I was born? OK then explain why the U.S is the most powerful superpower the world has ever known. Explain how a small country with a few colonies defeated the greatest power in the world to obtain our freedom we know today. Looks like history has shown guns in the hands of citizens worked just fine. As far as criminals are concerned they have always existed long before guns and yes even in countries that have severe bans on guns. The only difference is they have more successful criminals as their victims can not defend themselves.
Thug

Tupelo, MS

#10 Mar 5, 2014
<quoted text>
How about you look up the most violent countries and gun deaths in countries with severe gun control laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...

Notice the U.S. in not even in the top ten.

Southeast Virginia

#11 Mar 5, 2014
<quoted text>
And if you remove suicides from those stats, US drops to 3.6 per 100,000.
Is there even one

Gardner, MA

#12 Mar 6, 2014
Thug wrote:
<quoted text>Tried long before I was born? OK then explain why the U.S is the most powerful superpower the world has ever known. Explain how a small country with a few colonies defeated the greatest power in the world to obtain our freedom we know today. Looks like history has shown guns in the hands of citizens worked just fine. As far as criminals are concerned they have always existed long before guns and yes even in countries that have severe bans on guns. The only difference is they have more successful criminals as their victims can not defend themselves.
Hint: You don't live in the US circa 1776 anymore bonehead!

Southeast Virginia

#13 Mar 6, 2014
Is there even one wrote:
<quoted text>
Hint: You don't live in the US circa 1776 anymore bonehead!
You are correct. It is MUCH more dangerous now.
Is there even one

Gardner, MA

#14 Mar 6, 2014
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. It is MUCH more dangerous now.
it certainly is since you got your pink AK!!!

Southeast Virginia

#15 Mar 6, 2014
Is there even one wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!!!!

Don't own an AK, let alone a pink one.

Southeast Virginia

#16 Mar 6, 2014
Is there even one wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!!!
Don't own an AK, much less a pink one. Although I'm sure that color looks great on you, Precious.
Is there even one

Gardner, MA

#17 Mar 6, 2014
But, anyway, thanks for proving my point beyond any doubt.

None of you have any concern for the NEXT bunch of innocent children killed by Guns, Guns they no doubt will have procured from a previously responsible Gun owner!!

Belief in Constitutional absolutes, trumps all common sense.

Here's another question you'll once agin prove me right on

If the Constitution is absolute, why are there Amendments?

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#18 Mar 6, 2014
Is there even one wrote:
None of you have any concern for the NEXT bunch of innocent children killed by Guns, Guns they no doubt will have procured from a previously responsible Gun owner!!
As much as you have for the much higher number of children killed every day in automobile, drowning, and household accidents every day.

“This town is nuts...”

Location hidden

#19 Mar 6, 2014
Is there even one wrote:

How many amendments are you aware of that take away one of the rights that our founding fathers saw as unalienable?

“This town is nuts...”

Location hidden

#20 Mar 6, 2014
Is there even one wrote:

There are millions of guns in the US right now so there's nothing anyone can do to prevent criminals from having access to guns. I'm more worried about the government trying to take my guns away, leave me defenseless against criminals who will still have access to guns even if I don't.

Southeast Virginia

#21 Mar 7, 2014
Is there even one wrote:
Except that are NOT killed by guns. They are killed by maniacs who use guns in GUN-FREE ZONES in order to carry out their maniacal plans of taking as many lives with them in an area where they KNOW they will not be met with ANY kind of violent response for a given length of time. In almost all mass shootings, what happens when the good guys WITH GUNS finally show up??? The homicidal maniac offs himself rather hastily. Adam lanza shot himself less than 60 seconds after the first cop arrived at Sandy Hook. Harris and Klebold shot themselves shortly after the police entered Columbine. And the same thing with Cho at VA Tech.

You want to keep these violent maniacs & felons from getting their hands on guns? Put their asses in an institution or behind bars where they belong, and leave them there to ROT instead of turning them loose on society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New police chief announcement 7 hr Fitchburg 1
Ebola cure 10 hr Jtn 1
same old same old .... 20 hr Tammy from concord 2
Will Jtn ever post an Intelligent comment in th... Thu Tammy from concord 31
Has Jtn taken over and ruined Topix Thu Tammy from concord 13
Jtn please get off topix Thu Rihanna 8
Should Jtn run for Governor of Massachusetts? Wed Jtn 3
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••