Man says 2 pit bulls attacked him as ...

Man says 2 pit bulls attacked him as he walked along Albee Street

There are 79 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 6, 2007, titled Man says 2 pit bulls attacked him as he walked along Albee Street. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Two unlicensed pit bulls, named Kane and Abel, attacked a Gardner man late Monday night, according to police and medical records.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Marie

Cambridge, MA

#63 Dec 28, 2007
Probably a chemical imbalance in his brain or something.
Melissa

Brookline, MA

#64 Dec 28, 2007
Shannon wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorant, no.....persistant, yes. If you don't like my posts then i highly advise that you do not read them.
How could I miss them??? are you the authority on EVERYTHING?? GEEZ! get off the computer and go for a walk!
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#65 Dec 28, 2007
Melissa wrote:
<quoted text>How could I miss them??? are you the authority on EVERYTHING?? GEEZ! get off the computer and go for a walk!
Seems like you could let off some "hot air", getting all worked up about posts....GEEZ
Crystal

Boston, MA

#66 Dec 29, 2007
"Facing the dog eye to eye from 6 inches away as he rips your throat from your body. Watching your blood color the street red as you slowly welcome death to get away from the horrible pain.
"

Wow a bit dramatic, huh?

Look, saying that all pits are bad is like saying that all white people are serial killers. When you look at serial killers the majority of them are white people. Maybe we should make being white illegal and destroy all the white people. Makes just as much sense, doesn't it? Most rapists are men, we should do away with all men as well, because that must mean that all men are rapists, right?

I tell you what, look into the real statistics on dog bites, and tell me what you find. Here I will help you out. Annually (averages) 113 people are killed by colliding with a deer, only 22 are killed by dog attacks. OK, so step one we should consider killing all the deer and making deer illegal. 54 are killed by tornadoes and 43 by lightning. We are going to have to go after mother nature right away.

The National Canine Research Foundation reported the following fatal dog attacks in the
United States:

2001: 23
2002: 15
2003: 25
2004: 22
2005: 28

As to pit bull types, the statistics were: In 1995 of 22 fatalities, 9 were pit bull types; in
1996, of 35, 3 were pit bull types; in 1997, of 30, 6 were pit bull types; in 1998, of 15, 5 were pit bull types; in 1999, of 42, 8 were pit bull types. Some of these pit bull types were roaming in packs, some were unsocialized, in some a child was left unattended, and in some the dogs were chained. Hence it is more a "treatment of the dog" problem than a "breed specific" problem.

One study shows that German Shepards acount for 44% of fatal dog attacks... Sorry about all those police dogs, they gotta go. RIght?

The American Pit Bull Registry (APBR) notes:“The odds of being struck by lightning are 1 in 600,000 in the USA. Comparatively speaking you are 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be killed by a dog of any breed. When you further
break down the odds of being attacked and killed by a Pit Bull the odds are in your favor
– approximately 1 in 145,000,000.”

Another study in the U.K. found that prior to implementation of BSL, German shepherds bit 24% of the time, 18.2% of the bites were from mongrels, and “dangerous breeds”(pit bull terriers, Rottweilers, and Dobermans ALL COMBINED) accounted for 6% of all the dog bites. According to the Canadian Veterinarian Journal,“this study also showed that typical family breeds, such as Labradors, collies, Jack Russell terriers, and cocker spaniels, were biting at higher rates than the “dangerous dogs.”

Anyone who knows anything about dogs will tell you that the small breeds bite a LOT more often than big dogs. I have been bit by more Chihuahuas, Lhasas and Shihtzus than I can ever count, but I have never been bitten by a pit or a rottie. Of course I work in animal health so I interact with them all equally.
Linda

Norton, MA

#67 Dec 29, 2007
Crystal: "Wow a bit dramatic, huh?" Dogs, make that any animal trying to kill, instinctively go for the throat. Not that many people or animals killed by a dog nibbling on their toes now are there?

So you are saying with your statistics that on a good year out of ALL the breeds there are that 20% of the deaths are caused by pit bulls and on a bad year it is more like 33-40% are killed by pit bulls! You did yourself no favor by highlighting that such a large percentage are killed by pit bulls. It just goes to prove my point they are a dangerous breed...THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING IT WITH STATISTICS!
Marie

Cambridge, MA

#68 Dec 29, 2007
Linda you really don't believe that its the way they are trained and not the breed itself? I don't know too much about dogs but I have a hard time believing that they are nasty by nature. I had a neighbor who had 2 pit bulls last summer and we saw them with those spiked collars on and training them in the yard with a big stick and pulling on it. It was disturbing to watch. I know that those dogs are going to be harmful because the way this guy was treating them. They moved a few months ago, thank God. I just think its not what they know but more of what they are taught. I could be wrong!
Shannon

Wallingford, CT

#69 Dec 29, 2007
Crystal.........thank you, that is what I have been trying to say all along. The vast majority of people are close minded.

If a dog attacks and kills or seriously hurts a person, then destroy the dog. I see no harm in that, but do not try and rid a whole breed because some nasty, drug dealing, probably gang related people are TRAINING these dogs to be killers.

Just like I said in a previous post: If this breed is outlawed there will be another breed that will take its place and that breed's name will be destroyed. Go after the people making these animals "murders", they are the ones that are at fault.
Crystal

Mattapan, MA

#70 Dec 29, 2007
The media created this and a number of similar situations in the past. I remember when I was young it was the dobermans that were bad. We happened to have one at the time. All the media was reporting that the brain would outgrow the skull and they go crazy and kill their owners. Just suddenly snap and kill people.

Yeah, when that didn't actually pan out they switched breeds. And so it goes on and now it is the pits.

My mother was the first one saying pits are bad until my son got one. When she was a puppy my mother loved her but said over and over that when the dog reached 6 months old she would not be anywhere around her because she was a pit after all and would most likely kill us all.

Well, knowing the dog and seeing that she did not turn suddenly into some monster made my mom turn around. That dog would not ever attack anyone, she was trained and treated as part of the family. She loves us all.

Now, take that same dog and chain her outside. Keep her unsocialized, treat her as a trophy of a bad life, mistreat her, train her to fight, and the outcome would be different for her. But it would be the same outcome that would come if she was a Pit, a Shepard or a Cocker Spaniel. Doesn't really matter what breed.

Watch any of these:



http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

There are a million more.

If I was calling for a race of people to be eliminated, you would think I was the worst person ever. Think Hitler... remember that? But it is ok to be racists against dogs?

What if next week the media decided to target your dogs breed? What if you had a dog that had never done wrong but just because the breed was a target they thought your dog was bad. How would you feel?
Marie

Cambridge, MA

#71 Dec 30, 2007
Okay I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in this thing and see what you guys think. I am a firm believer that animals react the way they were taught. If they're taught to kill, they will kill. But what about the tiger incident in the zoo we are hearing about? Wouldn't that tiger have been trained not to kill but did anyways because of instincts? I'm a bit unsure of what I've believed is true or not. What do you guys thing???
Shannon

Wallingford, CT

#72 Dec 30, 2007
Marie wrote:
Okay I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in this thing and see what you guys think. I am a firm believer that animals react the way they were taught. If they're taught to kill, they will kill. But what about the tiger incident in the zoo we are hearing about? Wouldn't that tiger have been trained not to kill but did anyways because of instincts? I'm a bit unsure of what I've believed is true or not. What do you guys thing???
I heard that the kid was taunting the tiger, again, that is just what I heard.

A tiger is a WILD animal and has instincts to kill, tigers are still doing it in the wild today......killing means survival.

Dogs are a domesticated to be able to live in a family environment. People have them as pets and love and care for them and they are great dogs.
People get ahold of them, starve, neglect, abuse and train them to kill.

In EVERY breed there are problems. Dogs attack people for no reason....solution....destroy that one dog.
This tiger attacked someone...solution...destroy tiger.

With all these tiger attacks going on I don't see people trying to ban that breed of tiger. HMmmmm
Paul from Leominster

Norton, MA

#73 Dec 30, 2007
"With all these tiger attacks going on I don't see people trying to ban that breed of tiger. HMmmmm"

Shannon, you also don't see people living in cities all across the country keeping these things as pets and letting them roam the street either! I could bring elephants into this conversation, but I think you have already stretched the conversation beyond relevancy with your tiger comment! And I think even you would admit that looking back at your last post, or at least I would hope you would admit it.
Fitchburg guy

Plainville, CT

#74 Dec 30, 2007
Dogs are pack animals and behave as such. If the pack is tame a dog will be tame. If the pack is looking for kill, so will it's members.
Marie

Cambridge, MA

#75 Dec 30, 2007
Yup Shannon, that's what I figured too but I wasn't sure if they are trained in a zoo to be tame because of their handlers. I really don't think any dog should be band because of their breed. I think that people are the ones who need to learn to train them to be the loving animals that they should be. Someone told me once that people can't get homeowners insurance if they have a breed such as rotties and pit bulls. Do you know if this is true?
Shannon

Wallingford, CT

#76 Dec 30, 2007
Paul from Leominster wrote:
"With all these tiger attacks going on I don't see people trying to ban that breed of tiger. HMmmmm"
Shannon, you also don't see people living in cities all across the country keeping these things as pets and letting them roam the street either! I could bring elephants into this conversation, but I think you have already stretched the conversation beyond relevancy with your tiger comment! And I think even you would admit that looking back at your last post, or at least I would hope you would admit it.
I was just responding to a comment by Marie, I actually have let the subject go, temporarily.

I am more amused with the "stolen gift" on now....LOL
Shannon

Wallingford, CT

#77 Dec 30, 2007
Marie wrote:
Yup Shannon, that's what I figured too but I wasn't sure if they are trained in a zoo to be tame because of their handlers. I really don't think any dog should be band because of their breed. I think that people are the ones who need to learn to train them to be the loving animals that they should be. Someone told me once that people can't get homeowners insurance if they have a breed such as rotties and pit bulls. Do you know if this is true?
Yes Marie, it is very true!
fancy nancy

AOL

#78 Dec 30, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
You gotta have balls to even walk on Albee Street.
der... theyre all from uragauay.i married one
Kathy

Pell City, AL

#79 Apr 8, 2008
Shannon wrote:
I for one have had pitbulls and will continue to do so. The breed has a bad name, and will continue to have one long after this issue goes away. Any dog can turn....any breed, any size and any age and gender.
"Mixed breeds and not pure bred dogs are the type of dog most often involved in inflicting bites to people. The pure-bred dogs most often involved are German shepherds and Chow chows."
On Dec 2, 2007 a police dog in Broken Arrow, OK bit a 12 year old boy in the leg requiring 16 stitches. But we will never hear about this because it is not a pit bull. Just some things to consider. I have had nothing but good luck with this breed, they live with cats and active kids and are a great family dog.
My 7 lb dog was killed by one of these so called pet pit bulls. The owner was not able to get her dog off my dog. My husband pried that dog off ours. I live in trussville also and hope you don't live near me. The dog who killed mine was "a family pet and good with kids" My 7 lb dog did nothing to provoke this beast. The owner is upset but that will not bring back my baby. I hope your children are not the next victims of stupidity. Just like hounds hunt these dogs kill. They are bread to kill DOGS.
I hope your dogs will be muzzled when going into public. They ARE dangerous. Get it thru your thick head they KILL!!!
davesprincess

Philadelphia, PA

#80 Dec 17, 2011
YOU ARE WRONG FOR SAYING THAT.HAVE YOU EVER OWNED A DOG.IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT KIND OF DOG IT IS ITS THE WAY YOU RAISE YOUR DOG AN TRAIN THEM.MY PITBULLISNT MEAN OR NASTY HE IS A CUDDLE BUG THE SWEETEST PIT U WILL EVER MEET. LISTEN TO YOURSELF TALKING LIKE PITS ARE THE ONLy dog to ever be mean are you kidding me look at the ankle biters they are mean as hell always biting people.learn your facts before you talk crap about a breed of dog.train them right an no issues
davesprincess

Philadelphia, PA

#81 Dec 17, 2011
I hope your children are not the next victims of stupidiy Just like hounds hunt these dogs kill. They are bread to kill DOGS.
I hope your dogs will be muzzled when going into public. They ARE dangerous. Get it thru your thick head they KILL!!! Okay now we have a problem its how you raise them an what kind of dog did you have probably a ankle biting door yapper right.k i have to of those rats living next door to me an my 3 yr old pit and they try to bite him eveytime he is in his yard in his fence so dont sit there and say "my baby didnt do anything".thats crap.and i raised two gurls and my nieces around a pitbull and he loves them an they love him
GET A MUZZLE FOR YOUr MoUth

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time to get a Job 6 hr kathy 7
Stop stalking me and my family 10 hr karmaqueen 129
So, let's talk about Jeff Bean (Sep '11) Sat Karen 41
Lynch for Mayor - deemed "Not Credible" (Aug '11) Fri Vincent 207
Scientific Journal Just Released Fri Billybob 10
Review: Fitchburg Tattoo Co (Apr '10) Fri Big brother Joey 34
News Ex-Fitchburg police officer loses appeal of firing Fri Andrew McDonough 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages