Fitchburg water chief seeks rate hike - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

City councilors will be asked to approve a water-rate hike during tonight's Finance Committee hearing Denis Meunier, director of the Water Department, plans to ask the Finance Committee to approve an immediate increase to water rates and fees, which Meunier said will cost the average Fitchburg homeowner about $50 more annually for water.
Comments
21 - 40 of 74 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2013
Marie in the Burg

Stockbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Mine skyrocketed/doubled too when they raised the sewer rates. I am sure many people, like myself, cut back as much as possible on water usage (since they base the sewer rates on what water is coming in). Canít have that, so now they want to raise the water rates. You just canít win.
lincoln street

Ayer, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

dont forget the upcoming trash fee
mtm wrote:
property tax
excise tax
water tax
sewer tax
not being able to get anything for your tax dollar in fitchburg
PRICELESS
Fiona

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

I cut back on everything..water, electricity, wash laundry in cold water, hang it out and yet my Unitil bill and water bills have doubled.
Fitchburgs Inner Voice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Nay wrote:
It's an absolute diservice to Fitchburg residents to increase the water rates. First of all if the department did it's job all these years and collected the unpaid bills maybe they'd have enough money. Someone should look into exactly who was allowed free water....was it their friends and relatives? Sounds suspicious to me.
Secondly, Fitchburg has a very bad image as it is and what's the point of making stupid useless improvements to the useless Main St trying to attract good people to Fitchburg if you turn around and make the basics too expensive.
Third, way to go...increase rates during the worst recession most of the Fitchburg residents have ever known. Got any idea how many are unemployed right here in Fitchburg? When people have to struggle to make ends meet as it is, being greedy and raising rates will only discourage them from paying at all...and then you are below in the cash flow. I vote to get rid of that guy and not raise our rates.
Nay, you have alot of anger inside of you. Your complaining but you have no solutions!
What do you want the city to do to pay it's bills?

Did you read what the Water Department said? Here it is:

"Meunier said a 40-cent hike per 748 gallons of water -- or 100 cubic feet -- is necessary, in order for the Water Department to provide the same level of services in fiscal year 2011."

Costs for everything are going up. And the price will be passed on to the consumer. That would be you and me. And that is the way life is. You could always move to another town if your not happy. But, it isn't any better anywhere else. Every town, city and state has to pay it's bills, just like every person. And our Mayor refuses to live on credit. And that's a good thing!

So start packing your bags!
noreen

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

I'm on a fixed income. I put in my time working. I don't think my monthly check is going to increase if I complain that I have yet another increase in payments to Fitchburg...this time for water. The advice would probably be to smarten up and move!!! Thanks to all of you who are making it very difficult to live in Fitchburg. May you all struggle...REALLY struggle...during your lives and have no options but to leave your home town. That's what you're doing to us!
fitch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

this loser needs a water hike up his aszs.
water cheat

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

its an easy process to remove the meter head,,,HAHAHAHA,
fitch 1

Quincy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Isn't itfit and fun in our water,we are #11!
Woo Hoo

Salem, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

water cheat wrote:
its an easy process to remove the meter head,,,HAHAHAHA,
Now that's an excellent idea!!!!
Smith

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Marcus Dinatale wants to raise our taxes. Great.
Another Resident

Quincy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Water is the one resource that Fitchburg has, and it has previously been suggested that it be bottled and sold. That is one solution, but no one wants to hear about it. Too difficult, too much trouble, etc. etc.

Leominster has a lot of water problems. Why not sell water to them?

Fitchburg always has problems, but they never seriously look at solutions that are brought to them. It's much easier to stick it to the residents than to find real solutions.
just me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Real World wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a sewer rate hike. Two different things completely, thank goodness. Mine jumped about the same too, with only two people in my house.
Even so...how many times do 2 people flush a toilet per day when they work 8-6. Lol something is very wrong.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

The city certainly needs to be looking more closely at selling some of this resource we have to Leominster while this resource is a commodity to us. Why have our city politicians not looked into this?
Water Department Employee

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Bruce Marien - do you really think that City officials have not tried to do this or are you that clueless? Discussions have been held at regular intervals over the last 7 years with Leominster and they are not interested in buying water from Fitchburg at this time. If you do not believe this, call the officials in Leominster yourself and ask if Fitchburg has tried to sell water to them. In addition, the infrastructure is not there to get it to any other major water user in the region without spending millions on pump stations and water main extensions.

The cost of establishing a bottling plant for bottled water would cost millions and it would take years to recover these costs. You do not just fill up bottles from a faucet, it requires an entirely different treatment system for bottled water than what the City currently has. Is it worth the gamble to take out loans and spend millions to produce and market bottled water? There would have to be an immediate rate increase just to fund this boondoggle. Do you really think that Fitchburg could compete with Poland Springs and similar companies - private sector companies can react to market conditions more quickly than any City/Town due to the State's bidding and procurement regulations.

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

To the people who complain about rate increases and suggest that bottling the water and selling it is the answer, think about this:

Are you really willing to pay $1.00 a gallon (or more) for bottled Fitchburg water when you can get it from your faucet for 4/10 of a cent per gallon (that's $0.004 per gallon) at the new rate of $2.96 per 748 gallons?

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

I really do not think that Fitchburg should try to market its water in any other areas because, given the level of intelligence exhibited by the comments in this thread, it is obvious that there is something in the water causing IQ-itis. I would hate to see it spread to people outside of Fitchburg.
Fitchburgs Inner Voice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Another Resident wrote:
Water is the one resource that Fitchburg has, and it has previously been suggested that it be bottled and sold. That is one solution, but no one wants to hear about it. Too difficult, too much trouble, etc. etc.
Leominster has a lot of water problems. Why not sell water to them?
Fitchburg always has problems, but they never seriously look at solutions that are brought to them. It's much easier to stick it to the residents than to find real solutions.
Another Resident, Since your complaining, what are your solutions?
Bottled Water Drinker

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Water Department Employee wrote:
To the people who complain about rate increases and suggest that bottling the water and selling it is the answer, think about this:
Are you really willing to pay $1.00 a gallon (or more) for bottled Fitchburg water when you can get it from your faucet for 4/10 of a cent per gallon (that's $0.004 per gallon) at the new rate of $2.96 per 748 gallons?
I already drink bottled water, and have for years. So do many other people. Cost is not the issue as much as taste, heavy chlorination, fluoridation, and old water mains. Seriously, the city has promised for well over 35 years to replace water mains, and, although we have had some limited replacement, it's sporadic and will never be completed.

Selling the water could have been an option. All it would have taken was the right marketing to a major corporation to get help with the startup cost. Unfortunately, Fitchburg waited too long and the time has passed.
Fitchburgs Inner Voice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

I really do not think that Fitchburg should try to market its water in any other areas because, given the level of intelligence exhibited by the comments in this thread, it is obvious that there is something in the water causing IQ-itis. I would hate to see it spread to people outside of Fitchburg.
Water Department Employee, You are so right! Your hilarious! It's also affecting their ability to rationalize that the streetlights being off in the city is not Fitchburg's biggest problem.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

Bruce Marien - do you really think that City officials have not tried to do this or are you that clueless? Discussions have been held at regular intervals over the last 7 years with Leominster and they are not interested in buying water from Fitchburg at this time. If you do not believe this, call the officials in Leominster yourself and ask if Fitchburg has tried to sell water to them. In addition, the infrastructure is not there to get it to any other major water user in the region without spending millions on pump stations and water main extensions.
The cost of establishing a bottling plant for bottled water would cost millions and it would take years to recover these costs. You do not just fill up bottles from a faucet, it requires an entirely different treatment system for bottled water than what the City currently has. Is it worth the gamble to take out loans and spend millions to produce and market bottled water? There would have to be an immediate rate increase just to fund this boondoggle. Do you really think that Fitchburg could compete with Poland Springs and similar companies - private sector companies can react to market conditions more quickly than any City/Town due to the State's bidding and procurement regulations.
There have been articles that stated that periodic talks had been had over the years. Leominster has recently had more issues with regard to their water supply, and it isn't unreasonable to ask the questions. Things change and Leominster might be more willing to do something even short term. You sound angry...maybe you need to drink a nice tall glass of water...relax.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Fitchburg Forum right now

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Can someone tell me who mr greenjeans is ? 8 hr Paula 2
Suicide-prevention motorcycle ride is set for A... 14 hr Njtn 5
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) 20 hr kundrot dionkie 4,697
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Wed pam 1,150
FHS cohort attends leadership conference Wed pedro 4
a holes Tue Sonny 12
Police: Shots fired into Fitchburg home Jul 28 Sonny 2
•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
Fitchburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••