Snow account nearly depleted in Fitchburg - Sentinel & Enterprise

Department of Public Works Commissioner Lenny Laakso told the City Council on Thursday night that the six nuisance storms and three full-blown snowstorms this season will have depleted the $400,000 snow-removal account -- and that's before today's forecasted blast of winter is over. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mike from Leominster

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jan 21, 2011
Seems like a non-story if the "reserve snow account" has not been tapped.

The DPW has done a good job though, especially on this last storm.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#2 Jan 21, 2011
Expect other cities and towns to run out of money in the next week or two...
Rick P

Gardner, MA

#3 Jan 21, 2011
Christ Luther, you seem to add you two cents to everything.
LINCOLN STREET

Lowell, MA

#4 Jan 21, 2011
maybe if they actually PLOWED the streets instead of driving around and around with their blades 6 inches off the ground all day the snow account money would go a lot farther.
i dare anyone who disagrees with me to take a drive down airport road today, you can tell when you reach the LEOMINSTER line by the COMPLETELY SCRAPED CLEAN PAVEMENT!!
Sue-Shirley

Concord, MA

#5 Jan 21, 2011
I was waiting for an article about lack of funds. Every year, no matter how much or how little snow there is, it's the same old sad story!
I live in Shirley, and I'm sure their money is gone. Problem is,where did it go? Perhaps the same place the rubbish-removal funds went. Funny how the cash put aside for that was suddenly gone, and now we pay $1.50 per bag for rubbish pick-up!!!!!!!!!!
shaking my head

AOL

#6 Jan 21, 2011
Sue-Shirley wrote:
I was waiting for an article about lack of funds. Every year, no matter how much or how little snow there is, it's the same old sad story!
I live in Shirley, and I'm sure their money is gone. Problem is,where did it go? Perhaps the same place the rubbish-removal funds went. Funny how the cash put aside for that was suddenly gone, and now we pay $1.50 per bag for rubbish pick-up!!!!!!!!!!
If the people in Shirley used money for much needed things like the DPW instead of giving the new administrator a raise and the schools even more... well... that's not going to happen... it's Shirley
Only the names change in Shirley, everything else stays the same
CEW

Worcester, MA

#7 Jan 21, 2011
I agree with the plowing....they are doing such a lousey job. They make one pass, and leave snow banks at the end of the street allowing only one car at a time. Besides ripping up all of the curbing. Every year needs to be replaced. This city has really gone downhill in it's services. But, taxes are due again.....ugh
WOW

New York, NY

#8 Jan 21, 2011
Councilor Thomas Conry praised the DPW for its snow-removal efforts.

"I've had more people tell me that the last two storms the Public Works Department has done a superb job cleaning the streets and keeping the streets open," Conry said.

Seriously?? Maybe Conry's street is superbly cleaned but many of the other streets in Fitchburg are down to a lane and a half.....probably one lane after the storm today!
fitch resident

New York, NY

#9 Jan 21, 2011
After tuesday's storm the roads were sheet ice, and they remained that way all week! It was too much to put down some salt like leominster and lunenburg do!
The Burg

Northampton, MA

#10 Jan 21, 2011
I can tell you that Mr. Conry's street is definitely NOT superbly cleaned. I live in the same neighborhood and the streets are as bad there as everywhere else in the Burg. When I left for work this morning, they were untouched. It looks to me like they wait until everyone shovels out so they can push snow from the street onto cleared sidewalks, but the person who plows my area is a subcontractor... not exactly DPW... and plows snow from the street onto private property.
lbl

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Jan 21, 2011
I have to disagree Mr. Conry... This past Tuesday's storm I had to drive to work for 9:00 am and NONE of the streets were plowed, not even Main Street, which did not get plowed until 1:00 pm and was one of the few streets that were plowed by 1:00 pm. Paying taxes in the city of Fitchburg is a cruel joke!
Windroll

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Jan 21, 2011
Is that why Warren Street isn't all the way to the curbs? Can these guys at least push the snow to where it belongs, so our two-way street is passable and safe?
HAH

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Jan 21, 2011
Maybe they could use some of the kickback money they get from Unitil to help fund the snow operation. Who am I kidding? They'll turn off the rest of the street lights before that happens.
Big surprise

South Lancaster, MA

#14 Jan 21, 2011
Money is tight, politics as usual, it's Fitchburg!!!!!!!!
westie

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Jan 21, 2011
after living on the west side of fitchburg for 6 years now, i've noticed 1 thing. when the city uses contractors the roads are crappy. when the city dpw guys do all the plowing, it is down to pavement in no time. perhaps that is only in my neighborhood but it is true.
Marie

Northampton, MA

#16 Jan 21, 2011
westie wrote:
after living on the west side of fitchburg for 6 years now, i've noticed 1 thing. when the city uses contractors the roads are crappy. when the city dpw guys do all the plowing, it is down to pavement in no time. perhaps that is only in my neighborhood but it is true.
Absolutely. The DPW guys do a good job. Someone needs to supervise these subcontractors.
Yup

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Jan 21, 2011
Marie wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. The DPW guys do a good job. Someone needs to supervise these subcontractors.
Agreed!
When the city trucks plow our street, they go from edge to edge and open it right up. Contractors don't wanna hurt their precious trucks so they take the easy way out and stay a few feet from the curbing and 4" off pavement. If they were skilled at their craft they wouldn't have to worry about damaging their toys and be able to do the job right.
Frosty

Leominster, MA

#18 Jan 21, 2011
WOW wrote:
Councilor Thomas Conry praised the DPW for its snow-removal efforts.
"I've had more people tell me that the last two storms the Public Works Department has done a superb job cleaning the streets and keeping the streets open," Conry said.
Seriously?? Maybe Conry's street is superbly cleaned but many of the other streets in Fitchburg are down to a lane and a half.....probably one lane after the storm today!
the statement "more people" could mean two as opposed to one before.
Frosty

Leominster, MA

#19 Jan 21, 2011
Why would a private contractor charging by the hour and the mile want to clear the snow in one pass? Make 10 passes as you drop the the blade a half inch each time and just keep adding up the bill for the city.
WOOPS

Fitchburg, MA

#20 Jan 21, 2011
last storm we had 3 subs driving in circles every 20 minutes hitting the same spot, this Tuesday storm no plow until 1PM after a call was made, Id love to know where these subs are hiding out all day doing their private jobs first it's a complete joke

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Massachusetts town weighs nation's 1st tobacco ban 55 min Trex 39
Oh Kevin for where art thou? 4 hr Tommy G 4
At least 6-7 inches of snow in Fitchburg by noon Mon Jtn 1
Lynch for Mayor Sun BillyBob 6
New Chief of Police Jan 24 Jared Snipple 24
Woman's husband likes to wear pantyhose - Senti... (Jul '08) Jan 24 BillyBob 64
Fitchburg announces downtown window awards Jan 23 Jtn 7

Winter Storm Warning for Worcester County was issued at January 27 at 12:09PM EST

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:17 am PST