Local officials looking forward for 2...

Local officials looking forward for 2010 - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 33 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jan 4, 2010, titled Local officials looking forward for 2010 - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Local officials spent 2009 dealing with human loss and the struggling economy, continued cleanup from the December 2008 ice storm, and the beginning of new projects.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fed up

Clinton, MA

#1 Jan 4, 2010
don't forget Dean, that Leominster also sent a baseball team to the World Series in Utah in 2009

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#2 Jan 4, 2010
I would like to personally thank the Fitchburg City Council for voting for changing the property tax method for calculations. By transferring some of the tax obligation from businesses to residential homeowners, you successfully found your way around the state proposition 2 1/2 laws to increase my property taxes by just under 9% during a recession. I will certainly remember you all at election time.

I would also like to thank the police chief for deciding that it is Ok to put the citizens in Fitchburg in greater danger of being targeted by criminals by taking away our right to personal defense.

So our local officials are looking forward to 2010...good for you.
City guy

AOL

#3 Jan 4, 2010
Let's hope the long term fleecing of the Police dept is finally over. The moneys saved should come in real handy.

Since: Mar 09

Leominster, MA

#4 Jan 4, 2010
Bruce W Marien wrote:
I would like to personally thank the Fitchburg City Council for voting for changing the property tax method for calculations. By transferring some of the tax obligation from businesses to residential homeowners, you successfully found your way around the state proposition 2 1/2 laws to increase my property taxes by just under 9% during a recession. I will certainly remember you all at election time.
I would also like to thank the police chief for deciding that it is Ok to put the citizens in Fitchburg in greater danger of being targeted by criminals by taking away our right to personal defense.
So our local officials are looking forward to 2010...good for you.
Bruce, weren't you originally in support of the realignment of the tax rates?

Location hidden

#5 Jan 4, 2010
Mike from Leominster wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruce, weren't you originally in support of the realignment of the tax rates?
Hi Mike,

I was certainly in support of the re-alignment when it was sold to us as an increase of $50.00 on an average property tax bill. That is how it was presented to us...shame on us for believing them. The property tax rate increased by 8.7%...that is absolutely not a $50.00 increase on an average property tax bill in Fitchburg.

They lied to us...plain and simple!!
Stamos

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Jan 4, 2010
Im a crossdresser and proud of it
no expert

AOL

#7 Jan 4, 2010
Bruce W Marien wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mike,
I was certainly in support of the re-alignment when it was sold to us as an increase of $50.00 on an average property tax bill. That is how it was presented to us...shame on us for believing them. The property tax rate increased by 8.7%...that is absolutely not a $50.00 increase on an average property tax bill in Fitchburg.
You seem to misunderstand how prop 2 1/2 works-it only limits the total city property tax levy to 2 1/2%. Individual tax bills can increase or decrease by any amount based on revised assessments, valuations, etc.
You likely have other factors at work causing your higher increase beyond the realignment.
Kevin from Fitchburg

Harvard, MA

#8 Jan 4, 2010
2010 will be the year for Fitchburg. All the elements are in place. We have to focus on schools. Secondly we need to encourage more jobs to be brought to Fitchburg.
Employ Fitchburg 2010; it is going to be a great year! Adjusting the police force needs to be concern number one. We need a meeting where we can address our issues!
Without fixing the police station, everything else will not work. We need to coordinate efforts. The police need to begin to get involved in the community.
Good luck Mayor Wong! We are supportive of your efforts;stay strong as Fitchburg moves forward! We need to proceed together for a better Fitchburg!
Go Go Girls

Harvard, MA

#9 Jan 4, 2010
Stamos wrote:
Im a crossdresser and proud of it
You go girl!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

Location hidden

#10 Jan 4, 2010
no expert wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to misunderstand how prop 2 1/2 works-it only limits the total city property tax levy to 2 1/2%. Individual tax bills can increase or decrease by any amount based on revised assessments, valuations, etc.
You likely have other factors at work causing your higher increase beyond the realignment.
Hi No Expert,

I have had no property assessments or evaluations done. This isn't rocket science. I can easily see that I paid one rate last year and the new rate this year...it is right on the bill. There are no invisible forces at work here.
no expert

AOL

#12 Jan 4, 2010
Bruce W Marien wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi No Expert,
I have had no property assessments or evaluations done. This isn't rocket science. I can easily see that I paid one rate last year and the new rate this year...it is right on the bill. There are no invisible forces at work here.
OK, I didn't mean to imply there were "invisible forces" at work, but, the other point is the rate will fluctuate with assessments, which you wouldn't be involved in. The city reassesses every year or two if they are compliant with state laws. Sometimes some areas see increases when assessed values catch up. If assessed values are stagnant or down, the rate goes up to keep the total tax collected in line.

Location hidden

#13 Jan 4, 2010
no expert wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I didn't mean to imply there were "invisible forces" at work, but, the other point is the rate will fluctuate with assessments, which you wouldn't be involved in. The city reassesses every year or two if they are compliant with state laws. Sometimes some areas see increases when assessed values catch up. If assessed values are stagnant or down, the rate goes up to keep the total tax collected in line.
Are you saying that the tax rate isn't the same rate for the entire city?
Real World

Stoneham, MA

#14 Jan 4, 2010
Bruce W Marien wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mike,
I have to agree with No Expert. I'm no expert either but my tax bill went up a total of $40 for the fiscal year with the new rate. And my yearly tax bill is above the average for Fitchburg by about $500.

Location hidden

#15 Jan 4, 2010
No Expert,

The tax rate last year was $12.70 per $1,000,
the new rate is $14.44 per $1,000.

That translates to an increase of 8.795%...simple math. Thsi rate applies to everyone in the city...it is the tax rate.

I wasn't referring to the assessment or valuation of the property, just the tax rate.

We were told we would see about a $ 50.00 increase in our tax burden per average household, but at this tax rate increase, the levy will be much higher when our property values get back to where they were when last years rate was calculated.

I will say again that the city council lied to us straight out, with regard to the net effect it would have on us...they cannot be trusted.
no expert

AOL

#17 Jan 5, 2010
Bruce W Marien wrote:
No Expert,
That translates to an increase of 8.795%...simple math. Thsi rate applies to everyone in the city...it is the tax rate.
I wasn't referring to the assessment or valuation of the property, just the tax rate.
We were told we would see about a $ 50.00 increase in our tax burden per average household, but at this tax rate increase, the levy will be much higher when our property values get back to where they were when last years rate was calculated.
I will say again that the city council lied to us straight out, with regard to the net effect it would have on us...they cannot be trusted.
Mr Marien, you are talking about 1/2 of the equation. Until you know what the valuation is, you have no way of knowing what the actual tax increase will be, hence the noted 8.795% increase in the rate is almost meaningless.
Of course when the other shoe drops and the valuation/assessment is reported, you could well have a good reason to yell. Or not.

Since: Mar 09

Leominster, MA

#18 Jan 5, 2010
Bruce W Marien wrote:
No Expert,
What did they say the rate would be, or did they not say? I personally would never rely on the typical "____ llars for the average taxpayer" vaguities that politicians always use when sdescribing tax increases. I agree that a dollar+ jump per thousand is extreme, but I also agree that the valuations have to shake themselves out before you can conclude your taxes went up 9%.

Location hidden

#19 Jan 5, 2010
Hi Mike,

I never said my taxes went up 9%, I said the rate increased by 9%. I won't see the hammering until my property value increases, but make no mistake about the fact that with the higher rate, my taxes will be substantially higher once the valuation gets back to normal.

Proposition 2 1/2 was voted by the voters to help keep property taxes increases to be reasonable...what happens when my valuation gets back to normal? If my property valuation were the same, my taxes would have increased 9%.

Apparantly Proposition 2 1/2 obviously has no effect on the individual property tax, so it has no meaning for anyone paying the taxes.

Location hidden

#20 Jan 5, 2010
No Expert,

The Proposition 2 1/2 law is obviously meaningless if it doesn't curtail the rate increase that will eventually take place when our property values return to normal.

Thank You for making me aware that a law passed by the voters has no meaning.
no expert

AOL

#21 Jan 5, 2010
Bruce W Marien wrote:
No Expert,
The Proposition 2 1/2 law is obviously meaningless if it doesn't curtail the rate increase that will eventually take place when our property values return to normal.
Thank You for making me aware that a law passed by the voters has no meaning.
The law is only meaningless if you only look at 1/2 of an equation, ignore the total tax impact and are just looking for something to gripe about with no basis.
Some would argue property values have returned to "normal" now from an inflated state.
I can only assume when values rose you quietly reveled in the lower tax rate or at that point did you complain about the other half of the equation, the valuation as it climbed?
I hope math is not one of the courses you teach.

Location hidden

#22 Jan 5, 2010
No Expert,

If your able to do more than throw useless remarks at someone, please provide the concise benefits that this law provides for the individual and their property taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Another Monday Has Come And Gone (Apr '17) 2 hr J Lindsey Ware 139
News Twin City Tea Party hosts candidates night Mond... (Jun '10) 4 hr Wicked Fat Halfwit 18
News 1st District needs someone who will listen - Se... (Jul '10) 10 hr Commander McBragg 33
More Caped Crapper Tales 16 hr Puke Editor 3
News Towns see benefits if state takes Route 117 sec... (Sep '13) Sat Chet R 6
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) Sat Chet R 605
Oh What A Lovely Spring May 14 May God Strike Me... 1

Fitchburg Jobs

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages