Suit against Fitchburg, police alleges negligence in 2008 death of man

Jul 28, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Worcester Telegram & Gazette

A lawsuit against the city and Fitchburg police was filed in Worcester Superior Court Tuesday alleging negligence led to the death of a 23-year-old Fitchburg man in 2008.

Comments
1 - 20 of 65 Comments Last updated Jul 6, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bout time

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

i can't read the story but this might not even get through the door. everytime somebody has filed a suit or complained against the FPD, nothing happens. even after all this about jr's pub pointing to clear cop power abuse, still. If it does stick good. because these guys have stopped on my street many many many times about cock dealers next door, break ins, fights, and one guy even beat his gf. nothing happened, no charges, no arrests, infact they took in the girl not the guy who beat her......the very next day the guy is outside bragging about it with his drugged out friends, picked 3 fights with people walking by HIS block as he said (too bad we lived here we'll before this punk decided to move in 5 months ago.

im sorry but the chief and the way he does things is rediculous and in a wake f economic diaster, why are we forced to pay this guys pension and salary? he crime rate os obviously on the rise, break ins more common, everything is because the cops do the least they can in some cases, then u got the godo cops doing whatever they can. so this PD needs a investigation to find out hat is up. i mean a REA one not one for public show which in a month is cleared of all wrong doing. takes a long long time to do a good one, my bros dad was a statie and worked with fbi on 3 of these and even said, they know how to make it seem fine when infact the one thing that topples them is enough complaints and tips by callers.

idc, if some crack heads break into my house....they won't leave. i may not have a gun or fire arm or able to carry one....but i got my rights to defend myself and my family. if they want to press charges on those who defend and clearly ignore coke dealers, gang members, and obvious middle fingers to the cops by these types because they are allowed time and time again to do it without charges, then yeah.....i def am not waiting up for these guys. some have helped but many don't even pull out a note pad to take notes of names ect. the when these people do it again, they say there was no report X_X no shit.....but i better be careful what i say....the FPD i snow about of S&E. they may scan these forums now cause of lynch and how close they are to being found out. pretty sure i have a right to speak my mind but forgive me if they believe otherwise.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

You can't read the story? If you can't read the story then why are you on here talking trash without having clear knowledge of the reported incident. You claim you have the right to defend yourself from crack heads when the cops ignore coke dealers? The story is about cops who arrested a coke dealer that died the next day in his cell from swallowing three bags of cocaine and morphine when arrested. As far as this story goes the coke head committed suicide when swallowing all that dope. If you swallowed 3 bags of dope wouldn't you be requesting medical attention? The dope swallowed 3 bags of dope and killed himself. End of story!
Sure he did

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

"Officer Cordio checked in on him around 11:30 am and forgot to record it"...Yeah THAT sounds real believable, alright. More likely; Occifer Cordio never bothered checking in on him; and THAT is why it was never recorded: it never happened.

Here we go again Readers. This story should draw all the cops and their faithful supporters out of the woodwork.

Let's have at it!
Wondering

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

Tough to feel bad for a drug dealer who swallowed his stash to avoid further penalty.

He did society a favor.

And the holding areas are typically recorded so sorting this out shouldn't be too difficult.
Just Facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

Sure he did wrote:
"Officer Cordio checked in on him around 11:30 am and forgot to record it"...Yeah THAT sounds real believable, alright. More likely; Occifer Cordio never bothered checking in on him; and THAT is why it was never recorded: it never happened.
Here we go again Readers. This story should draw all the cops and their faithful supporters out of the woodwork.
Let's have at it!
As far as many are concerned, your defense of a drug dealer that swallowed his dope to avoid prosecution is pretty lame. It is OK in your mind for a dope dealer to sell dope and ruin lives, but not OK for a cop to forget.

One dope dealer down...too many more to go...too bad they don't all swallow the poison they are selling. Glad to hear the dope dealer got justice. Now he can't hurt anyone else.
Sure he did

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

Just Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as many are concerned, your defense of a drug dealer that swallowed his dope to avoid prosecution is pretty lame. It is OK in your mind for a dope dealer to sell dope and ruin lives, but not OK for a cop to forget.
One dope dealer down...too many more to go...too bad they don't all swallow the poison they are selling. Glad to hear the dope dealer got justice. Now he can't hurt anyone else.
Hey Sh#t for Brains,welcome to the discussion!

Obviously reading comprehension was never one of your strong points. I never defended the drug dealer; I just offered up my opinion that Cordio failed to check in on the holding cell at 11:30 am. I am entitled to my opinion about a cop not bothering to do his job properly. But, I sure as hell never defended the drug dealer.

I hate drug dealers; whether or not they wear police uniforms and carry a badge when they deal in drugs....
Wondering

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

having a hard time distinguishing the retarded postings of Lynch and the artist formerly known as Darn Tootin.
Just Facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

Sure he did wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Sh#t for Brains,welcome to the discussion!
Obviously reading comprehension was never one of your strong points. I never defended the drug dealer; I just offered up my opinion that Cordio failed to check in on the holding cell at 11:30 am. I am entitled to my opinion about a cop not bothering to do his job properly. But, I sure as hell never defended the drug dealer.
I hate drug dealers; whether or not they wear police uniforms and carry a badge when they deal in drugs....
Hey Chuckie's Bitch,

Your focused efforts on constantly complaining about cops overshadows the fact that a drug dealer got just what he deserved.
Typical nonsense coming from you and no surprise...you cannot think straight coz your head is up your ass.
Sure he did

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

Just Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Chuckie's Bitch,
Your focused efforts on constantly complaining about cops overshadows the fact that a drug dealer got just what he deserved.
Typical nonsense coming from you and no surprise...you cannot think straight coz your head is up your ass.
Sh#t for Brains,

Again, I am perfectly fine with having one less drug dealer roaming the streets of Fitchburg. It does not bother me in the least. Hopefully a few more can follow in his shoes.

But, sloppy police work and half a$$ed excuses from our lawmen is another story. Cordio either forgot to make a log entry; or he never bothered checking the holding cell at 11:30 am and then he lied and said he did do it. I lean towards believeing the later. Either way; he f-ed up.

That does not mean that I support drug dealers. I just have made a hooby out of following stories involving police misconduct; police f-ups and criminal police. Fitchburg happens to be an easy place to find it all.
Just Facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

Sure he did wrote:
<quoted text>
Sh#t for Brains,
Again, I am perfectly fine with having one less drug dealer roaming the streets of Fitchburg. It does not bother me in the least. Hopefully a few more can follow in his shoes.
But, sloppy police work and half a$$ed excuses from our lawmen is another story. Cordio either forgot to make a log entry; or he never bothered checking the holding cell at 11:30 am and then he lied and said he did do it. I lean towards believeing the later. Either way; he f-ed up.
That does not mean that I support drug dealers. I just have made a hooby out of following stories involving police misconduct; police f-ups and criminal police. Fitchburg happens to be an easy place to find it all.
Chuckles Bitch,

You are kidding noone by claiming your obsession as being a hobby. You have a real problem and need some real help. In any case...have a great evening.
Jingles the clown

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

This will and should go nowhere. The police had no way of knowing how much drugs he consumed. If the police from every town bring idiots they arrest to the only hospital around what about the rest of the people who need care and aren't selling drugs at 2 in the morning?
Jingles the clown

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

I can see how that would sit well with law abiding people. You might get hurt working the third shift for a company but sorry the doctor can't see you because he's treating 14 drug dealers 6 prostitutes and 5 drunk drivers.
Mclovin

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

This sight is comical. Stalk a bar, start a fight and take a beating and it's the polices fault. Eat 5 bags of drugs overdose and die and the cops are to blame. I'm sorry but the police weren't feeding him these bags of drugs. What ever happened to being accountable for your own actions? This pos what treated like anyone else. The job of the police is to arrest you and detain you until you go to trial, not give you a physical or a dental check up. They did their job.
Either or

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

I love reading the dope with the Holliston ISP. If you disagree with him you're either a cop, family member of a cop, or a cop sympathizer.

There's another option though. Most people just think you're an asshole regardless of how they think about cops. You take credit for stuff that happens in the city because you posted in here? 10 people read/post on these forums. You're not reaching the masses.

What psych meds are you taking?
The Insider

Hyannis, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2011

Judged:

The main problem that exists now is what do you do with someone whom needs medical attention and refuses it? You cannot bring them to the hospital if they refuse. It is illegal and is kidnapping.

Because of this more criminals will not be arrested. If they ingested or having taking drugs but are able to verbally refuse medical treatment then that is their right to do so.

Even Leominster Hospital ER staff gets upset when a drunk is brought in to the ER because the police no longer place anyone in protective custody.

So you let them go free. When they start whacking out due to the drugs they will either pass out and hopefully someone will call an ambulance before it is too late. They could also injure other people as they are tripping out on their drugs.

The police departments cell is not a hospital. People should not expect the police to watch over the prisoner every minute. Everyone wants the police out on the streets remember?

So if the ambulance cannot legally transport them until they are unconscious, the hospital gets upset if they are taken to the ER because it is not an emergency at that time and the police do not pc anyone, what does the city have to do?

Obviously you will see many durg users and drunks on the streets now.
Chuckling with Chuckles

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2011

Judged:

The Insider wrote:
The main problem that exists now is what do you do with someone whom needs medical attention and refuses it? You cannot bring them to the hospital if they refuse. It is illegal and is kidnapping.
Because of this more criminals will not be arrested. If they ingested or having taking drugs but are able to verbally refuse medical treatment then that is their right to do so.
Even Leominster Hospital ER staff gets upset when a drunk is brought in to the ER because the police no longer place anyone in protective custody.
So you let them go free. When they start whacking out due to the drugs they will either pass out and hopefully someone will call an ambulance before it is too late. They could also injure other people as they are tripping out on their drugs.
The police departments cell is not a hospital. People should not expect the police to watch over the prisoner every minute. Everyone wants the police out on the streets remember?
So if the ambulance cannot legally transport them until they are unconscious, the hospital gets upset if they are taken to the ER because it is not an emergency at that time and the police do not pc anyone, what does the city have to do?
Obviously you will see many durg users and drunks on the streets now.
"Obviously you will see many drug users and drunks on the street now"

So, you are saying that up to now we haven't been seeing many drug users and drunks on our streets? You have got to be kidding, right!

Gee wizz, the Burg is over run with drug users and drunks roaming the streets; and has been for years.

Just because the FPD drives straight past them and makes believe that they can't see them; doesn't mean that the rest of us can't see them.
protocol

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2011

Judged:

Jingles the clown wrote:
This will and should go nowhere. The police had no way of knowing how much drugs he consumed. If the police from every town bring idiots they arrest to the only hospital around what about the rest of the people who need care and aren't selling drugs at 2 in the morning?
There is protocol that people should have followed. It is reported that they seen this man swallow the drugs. They had in in custody as he couldn't go to the hospital on his own or be noticed rolling before he died.

This man was in their custody. They made some errors here regardless if the guy sold drugs or NOT!
Wondering

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2011

Judged:

protocol wrote:
<quoted text>
There is protocol that people should have followed. It is reported that they seen this man swallow the drugs. They had in in custody as he couldn't go to the hospital on his own or be noticed rolling before he died.
This man was in their custody. They made some errors here regardless if the guy sold drugs or NOT!
I'm really trying my hardest to give two craps about a dead drug dealer but I just can't seem to muster any at all.

Oh well. The weekend is here and there's one less druggie/dealer on the streets. Woo hoo!
Jingles the clown

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2011

Judged:

Yep I'm sure the police just sat back and watched while he consumed 5 bags of drugs. I suppose by your standards if they're making a stop and they see the passenger throw out a marijuana cigarette they should rush them to the er for the criminals safety?
appoint blame

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2011

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm really trying my hardest to give two craps about a dead drug dealer but I just can't seem to muster any at all.
Oh well. The weekend is here and there's one less druggie/dealer on the streets. Woo hoo!
Was this guy even charged with drug dealing? Even if he was a drug dealer no law states that he should die! What the law does state is that while in custody these officers are responsible for this mans well being.

I would think that protocol for a person swallowing drugs warrents a trip to the hopital. And if these officers are mandated to check on these detainees then that is there responsibility. If we allowed "I forgot" then all kinds of improper behavior may take4 place.

There needs to be checks and balances.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thief grabs cash box at Leominster farm stand 3 hr Karen 2
Debate: Ferguson - Fitchburg, MA 10 hr Civil Servant Sup... 29
Students, parents get their first look at Fitch... Tue Karen 2
Numbers of homeless increase in region Tue Karen 5
2 Gardner police officers resign (Oct '13) Tue Crown Vicman 51
Fitchburg Knights of Columbus Lobster/Clam Bake... Mon Karen 2
Montachusett Regional Vocational Technical High... Aug 24 Karen 1
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••