No dirty dancing allowed - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

The Ashburnham-Westminster Regional School Committee agreed to put a grinding halt to risqu dancing at school-related dances.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
good for Oakmont

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

I have seen this type of dancing get worse over the last few years at another local high school.

Many teachers do not want to chaperone anymore because it is a losing battle to try to get these kids to stop dancing like this.

If you ask the kids what their parents would think about this type of dancing, they say that they dance like this in front of their parents at parties, weddings, etc..

I'm glad that at least one school has the guts to come up with this policy, because there will be at least one parent that will make a fuss about it and cause the administration more headaches.
mmm

Lancaster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

I totally agree with this school. Finally someone stands up to this kind of behavior. HELLO? Good for you guys!!
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Great idea, this behavior(and more) is better suited in the parking lot
Interesting

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Proof your articles before publishing them, this is terrible. "contract" are you serious?
Interesting

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Typical teens blaming things on the media, seriously the media offers far more dance options it depends on the type of media they're viewing. I'm still a young lad myself and know what is appropriate for a school dance versus a night club. Parents need to take an active part in promoting appropriate behavior with their children.
vote the bums out

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

i disagree, all this does is teach our children conservative intolerance.
same thing happened when 'the twist' started, or Elvis danced, The Beatles rock n' roll.

conservative, socially immature bunch of dopes.

i would hope you'd be more concerned what the kids are doing when they are not at a school event.
Frankie the fly

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Let the kids have there dance, Its only for one night..
tsk tsk

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

I just wish I could still move like that, the wife would probably go into shock!
Truth

Townsend, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Yes when Elvis was first televised they were not allowed to film his hips. His dancing was condidered vulgur. The same type of dancing the complaining folk here no doubt do.Dirty dancing was fine and even a hit in the Patrick Swazy days.Oh but put it to Rap music and now its a problem. This reminds me of the DARE program.All the money spent and as hard as they tried two thirds of the state said bullshit and now its legal to have an ounce of Cannabis.
The white uptights have a few more years as the majority. Untill then more censorship and punishment mode are expected.
sick of punks

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Truth wrote:
Yes when Elvis was first televised they were not allowed to film his hips. His dancing was condidered vulgur. The same type of dancing the complaining folk here no doubt do.Dirty dancing was fine and even a hit in the Patrick Swazy days.Oh but put it to Rap music and now its a problem. This reminds me of the DARE program.All the money spent and as hard as they tried two thirds of the state said **** and now its legal to have an ounce of Cannabis.
The white uptights have a few more years as the majority. Untill then more censorship and punishment mode are expected.
Just a clarification, it is NOT legal to posess an ounce of weed, it is just not a felony. It is still against the law, if caught you will be fined.
Stop being trashy idiots

Clinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Come one people!! Anyone that thinks this type of behavior belongs at a school dance is out of their minds. To equate the current form of "dancing" to anything Elvis Presley did, or to "the Twist" is a bogus argument.
The type of activity being banned is sexual activity, and the school should not accept it as the natural progression of a civilized society. The purpose of the "dance moves" performed is sexual gratification. There is no artistic or expressive purpose in these moves. I'll take it one step further and say that that type of activity is actually degrading to women. That type of "dancing" portrays a woman as a sexual object and puts her sexuality and sexual activities on display for the world to see. The school not only has the RIGHT to limit this activity, it has the MORAL RESPONSIBILITY to limit this activity.
This type of behavior has been spread through the media, there's no doubt about that. Media spread of "popular" activities and societal change has occurred for as long as media has occurred, however we now have a much larger and faster media, a more culturally diverse population and society that has generally gotten more liberal and apathetic to social "Norms" at an increasing rate.
Teen pregnancy was an abhorrence to society in the 1950s, but now it's acceptable, and if you read certain newspapers (such as this one) teen mothers are now portrayed as "heroes". If you can argue that this type of dancing is acceptable and a normal part of growing up today, then you can probably justify and promote teen pregnancy. On that you an I will disagree forever.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

I believe in what they are trying to do in principal BUT, who decides what is "dirty dancing"? Some moron may think the waltz is porographic and ban that too. And, although I do not personally care for some of the dance styles, what may offend me may not offend someone else. Who makes that sistinction?
Tim

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

There is no explanation to why the school officials would feel the need to do this. Grinding has been around for decades and it has never posed a problem. Peer pressure is the issue? Yeah right. Power trip is the issue. Anyone that works for Ash/West schools should be ashamed of themselves. I would be
Tim

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Stop being trashy idiots wrote:
Come one people!! Anyone that thinks this type of behavior belongs at a school dance is out of their minds. To equate the current form of "dancing" to anything Elvis Presley did, or to "the Twist" is a bogus argument.
The type of activity being banned is sexual activity, and the school should not accept it as the natural progression of a civilized society....Teen pregnancy was an abhorrence to society in the 1950s, but now it's acceptable, and if you read certain newspapers (such as this one) teen mothers are now portrayed as "heroes". If you can argue that this type of dancing is acceptable and a normal part of growing up today, then you can probably justify and promote teen pregnancy. On that you an I will disagree forever.
I suggest you look into two things: history and biology. Then you will have to concede that your views are not supported by reality
vote the bums out

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Stop being trashy idiots

wow..this dancing is sexual activity, resulting in sexual gratification..wow

i bet you voted for McCarthy in the 50's.
Mary

East Longmeadow, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

THEY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DANCE AS THEY WANT. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE TO TELL THEM HOW TO DANCE
Hettie - Ashburnham

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Mary wrote:
THEY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DANCE AS THEY WANT. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE TO TELL THEM HOW TO DANCE
The students are on school grounds (taxpayer property), they are not at a private club or residence. The vast majority of the students at the dances are still minors and as such, still require adult guidance. Sure, we have liberty and freedom in this country, but with limitations:

You can drive, but you have to have a license. You can carry a firearm, but you have to have a license. You can travel to other countries, but you must have a passport in order to return. You can vote, but you must be at least 18, and registered, to do so.

You can go to dances on school properties, but you must follow the rules. If you don't like the rules, DON'T GO!

I do NOT understand why it has become so unpopular in the last two decades to make good rules and to follow those rules. Why has political correctness superceded common courtesy, decency and what is downright proper? When did the current generation of parents decide it was okay for everything to be "child-centered" instead of "family-centered"? Thanks to all those 1970's child psychology experts who spewed their so-called wisdom. Look at the teens today and you know those "experts" had no idea what they were talking about. Sure, let's do a social experiment with AN ENTIRE GENERATION!! Ugh. Great idea, folks.

Don't you realize that by allowing the child to be the center of all attention, without regard for boundaries, you are contributing to the failure of society as a whole? If you aren't taught that you are only a small part of the bigger picture, then you never care about the world around you. You learn to only care about yourself and your needs. The rising generation of American teens is on a dangerous path to self-destruction with their nonchalant attitudes about sex, and what constitutes sexual behavior. The rules are NOT just about the dance. They are about teaching the students RIGHT FROM WRONG.

“I'm a Fitchburger and Proud ”

Since: Jan 08

Fitchburg ( of course)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Jim wrote:
Great idea, this behavior(and more) is better suited in the parking lot
More like a bedroom.

Fitchburg ( of course)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Interesting wrote:
Proof your articles before publishing them, this is terrible. "contract" are you serious?
There may well be contractions at some point. Like 9 months from then.

Fitchburg ( of course)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Frankie the fly wrote:
Let the kids have there dance, Its only for one night..
One night, 9 months and 18+ years.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Fitchburg Forum right now

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Jeremiah found? 13 min Peter 11
Did everyone see me on Ch 5. 15 min Peter 7
Info on FSU continuing education tonight 47 min Jtn 2
Jeremiah Possibly Found 1 hr Donna b 2
Driver's licenses for illegal immigrants 1 hr Oldglory 344
Prosecutor: Body fits description of missing boy 2 hr Donna b 1
McKeehan, North Central Chamber's longtime lead... 3 hr Donna b 5
•••
•••