Children can Trick or Treat on Main Street this year on Hallowe...

Fitchburg children looking for a safe place to trick-or-treat this Halloween, can participate in Trick-or -Treat on Main street Halloween afternoon from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., according to David Thibault-Munoz, Director of Twin Cities CDC, the agency that does community organizing for Fitchburg and Leominster. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Stop Whining

Quincy, MA

#23 Oct 31, 2009
Flame war! Yes!
I live, work, and play in the immediate Main Street area. There are not needles laying around the street. There are not prostitutes everywhere (they're mostly on River Street, lol). The hobos and addicts generally stay around DD's and Rollstone Church. It is not "drug valley". You people make it sound like Main Street is the worst possible place you could ever go, and it really is not. Seriously, grow the f up and observe what is actually around you, instead of crying about what your buddies tell you. You're generally not going to find trouble on Main Street unless you're looking for it.
For the idiots complaining about the lights, why don't you quit your whining and complaining and actually suggest something useful? Some lights where turned off in an effort to save x amount of dollars. If you want them back on, figure out another valid option to save x amount of dollars. If I'm out at night, chances are I'm in my car. Which by the way, has lights on the front of it. If you're so scared of the dark, spend the $2 on a flashlight. Honestly, how much has this effected you?
@ Bruce - What's the problem with Main Street in the middle of the day? Why specifically wouldn't you take you child to trick-or-treat there from 1-4?
Daytime Main Street trick-or-treating sounds like an excellent idea for all of those too scarred to take their kids out in the dark under the no street lights. For every idiot that can't use a flashlight or glowstick, this daytime trick-or-treat is for you.
The moral of the story is; Shut up and DO something!
Fitchburg Parent

Concord, MA

#24 Oct 31, 2009
Lots businesses in other areas offer daytime trick or treating. Do we really expect business owners to stay open later than usual just to pass out candy. I personally will not be taking my child, but then again I am the type of parent who thinks a celebration at school, and walking through the mall is enough.
Volunteers Rule

Gardner, MA

#25 Oct 31, 2009
The Main Street Trick or Treat was an enormous success with lots of parents and kids coming to visit area stores. Getting families to do family events downtown is good for Fitchburg. Period. Very simple. Businesses that wanted to participate did so and I saw the children's library lady out in front of the CLOSED FPL handing out candy. If that's not city spirit, I don't know what is. Lots of very small kids, adorable costumes, out and about. A really great event. I hope we do it next year. Those of you who need to snipe and snark and judge have my sympathy. We had a great time.
get it

Sudbury, MA

#26 Oct 31, 2009
How come all the street lights on main street are on,??? What is Main street some place special ?? Turn them off too
Kent B

Leominster, MA

#27 Oct 31, 2009
It was a terrific turnout,it was great to see so many families participating. We at Shack's had a lot of fun and kudos to the folks at the CDC to organizing what I hope will be a new Main Street tradition. Sorry we ran out of candy, we'll make sure we have plenty for next year.
In Town

Fitchburg, MA

#28 Oct 31, 2009
I was kind of amazed at the turnout of parents and children on Main St. Great crowds. Nice family event, got people walking, I'm all for doing this again next year, as a matter of fact, I think I'd rather do this than walk the traditional neighborhoods with the kids. "Trick or Treat Downtown" great idea CDC!!

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#29 Oct 31, 2009
Stop Whining wrote:
Flame war! Yes!
I live, work, and play in the immediate Main Street area. There are not needles laying around the street. There are not prostitutes everywhere (they're mostly on River Street, lol). The hobos and addicts generally stay around DD's and Rollstone Church. It is not "drug valley". You people make it sound like Main Street is the worst possible place you could ever go, and it really is not. Seriously, grow the f up and observe what is actually around you, instead of crying about what your buddies tell you. You're generally not going to find trouble on Main Street unless you're looking for it.
For the idiots complaining about the lights, why don't you quit your whining and complaining and actually suggest something useful? Some lights where turned off in an effort to save x amount of dollars. If you want them back on, figure out another valid option to save x amount of dollars. If I'm out at night, chances are I'm in my car. Which by the way, has lights on the front of it. If you're so scared of the dark, spend the $2 on a flashlight. Honestly, how much has this effected you?
@ Bruce - What's the problem with Main Street in the middle of the day? Why specifically wouldn't you take you child to trick-or-treat there from 1-4?
Daytime Main Street trick-or-treating sounds like an excellent idea for all of those too scarred to take their kids out in the dark under the no street lights. For every idiot that can't use a flashlight or glowstick, this daytime trick-or-treat is for you.
The moral of the story is; Shut up and DO something!
Hi Stop,

You may be just a little biased about the environment downtown and that is certainly your perogative. Many nice areas in Fitchburg to bring my daughter trick or treating without exposing her to main street. You may be accustomed to the folks hanging around down there, but why take the chance? My family enjoyed a customary trick or treating environment in safe neighborhoods tonite just fine.

I didn't have to be concerned about the nonsense that occurs on main street...you seem quite happy there...to each his own.
They go out too

Leominster, MA

#30 Oct 31, 2009
get it wrote:
How come all the street lights on main street are on,??? What is Main street some place special ?? Turn them off too
The decorative lighting is on a timer and those lights go off at midnight.
Main St Business Owner

Leominster, MA

#31 Oct 31, 2009
We had a great time today, although we had handed out $75 worth of candy by 3:00 and had to put up a sign that we had run out. What a cute mob. I have lots of great photos from today! Even the Fire Department was out handing out candy and they had to leave when they ran out. Even the parents were dressed in costumes and everyone was in a great mood and well behaved. Great day!!!!
RLA

Fitchburg, MA

#32 Nov 1, 2009
I could tell the Main Street trick or treating was a success by the low number of kids we got in the outlying neighborhoods. We had only 1/3 of the kids we usually see. If the city decides to make this a yearly event, it will save me money on candy!

Great job and thank you CDC!
annoyed person

Fitchburg, MA

#33 Oct 29, 2010
i think that it its so stupid what she is doing! why cant we keep it the same way it was before it was perfect there so stupid they cant turn on a few extra lights for the kids to trick or treat. by next year there going to take it away completly!! kids look forward to this day all year so putting stupid rules on it and telling them they can only go out for 2 hours is stupid most kids walk slow which means they can get threw like 2 streets by the time they have to start heading back home its not even worth the 20$ parents spend getting the costume. and why do people talk so much about teens going trick or treating would they rather have them at partys getting drunk or out getting candy having fun?
Keep your mind at ease

Winchendon, MA

#34 Oct 29, 2011
Lewis Chamberlain wrote:
bruce I thought you were wongs buddy . now you think bad of her downtown . how dare you . well reingold ave is not that nice of a place either . I drove their the other day its pretty dark
You should never judge the book by it's cover! Stop your crying already and just lock yourself in somewhere. Just because you had "DRIVEN" by Reingold Ave doesn't mean that is isn't a safe area. That area is safer than what you think in that little closed mind of yours. It's a very nice neighborhood/area and the people there are friendly. If you want lights and want a safe area/place to go to, then I suggest you go to the mall. There is plenty of lights there! But wait you might just cry or complain about the mall too! The only place that doesn't have lights or that isn't safe right now is your head.
Kinda sad

Leominster, MA

#35 Oct 29, 2011
It's kinda sad that the only time it's safe for kids to trick or treat is daytime hours. I don't blame the Mayor or street lights. It's the scumbags that the Mayor worries about who may commit a crime. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them would knock a kid down and steal their bag of candy.
Kinda sad

Leominster, MA

#36 Oct 29, 2011
Don't get me wrong I love Halloween. But I hate it when I've got kids in there 20's with a pillow case trick or treating when I know damn well they will be egging houses later.
Positive Fitchburg

Fitchburg, MA

#37 Oct 30, 2011
Bruce Marien your posts sheds some light on why you never get elected to public office!

Fitchburg showed community spirit and watching the crowds it appears all had fun.

Maybe, just maybe if more people sought out the positive fun things in Fitchburg the image would be brighter.

Walking Main Street with the grandkids I'd like to say thank you to Councilor Tran and family, Jeff Bean, Dave Streb and Lisa Wong, they get my vote for caring enough about ALL the residents to come give support of this great event.

Hey wait no nay sayer where were you Joe? and what about the other councilors? Right I know its a positive image of the city you would like to prevent.

Hey Dinatalie so much for your caring, stop the crying and start doing something!

Councilor kaddy didn't see you at the kids party at the Senior Center why?

I'll be watching the city council meeting and they'll all be filling the room with hot air climbing all over themselves because they do so much good, what a bunch of boobs.
Informed Voter

Templeton, MA

#38 Oct 31, 2011
Positive Fitchburg wrote:
Bruce Marien your posts sheds some light on why you never get elected to public office!
Fitchburg showed community spirit and watching the crowds it appears all had fun.
Maybe, just maybe if more people sought out the positive fun things in Fitchburg the image would be brighter.
Walking Main Street with the grandkids I'd like to say thank you to Councilor Tran and family, Jeff Bean, Dave Streb and Lisa Wong, they get my vote for caring enough about ALL the residents to come give support of this great event.
Hey wait no nay sayer where were you Joe? and what about the other councilors? Right I know its a positive image of the city you would like to prevent.
Hey Dinatalie so much for your caring, stop the crying and start doing something!
Councilor kaddy didn't see you at the kids party at the Senior Center why?
I'll be watching the city council meeting and they'll all be filling the room with hot air climbing all over themselves because they do so much good, what a bunch of boobs.
Well put!!!
Frank Costanza

Fitchburg, MA

#39 Oct 31, 2011
Does Solomito know where Main Street is?
Theresa

Gardner, MA

#40 Oct 22, 2012
If you don't like the Trick-or-Treat times for Fitchburg why wouldn;t you just drive your children to some other city or town? Quit complaining about things that you can't control. I'm taking my daughter to Townsend...no creepy people and a safer place to Trick or Treat!!! It's not difficult to drive to another area....*SMH*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlie Baker for governor 2 hr Agree 12
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 3 hr Jeff 54
Main street proposal will set Fitchburg back 40... 8 hr Jim B 18
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 14 hr John 1,168
A change of culture at Fitchburg Police Dept. -... (Nov '10) Tue J Edgar Lynch 268
Wong takes chiefs job Sun Jnt 5
Woman's husband likes to wear pantyhose - Senti... (Jul '08) Sep 26 Keeping an Open Mind 47

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Jobs

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]