Reader: Popular music to blame for te...

Reader: Popular music to blame for teen pregnancy increase - Se...

There are 74 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jul 9, 2008, titled Reader: Popular music to blame for teen pregnancy increase - Se.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

I was very glad to see an article in this paper giving the statistics of teen pregnancy in the area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Long live Rock and Roll

Nashua, NH

#1 Jul 9, 2008
Music is the problem??
Why back in the old days, the mid to late '50's, R&R was labeled to be the downfall of youth and the instigator of juvenile delinquency. Yah right!
You can blame just about anything, music, soap operas, movies, tv in general, the internet, etc., etc.. But where's the real problem? Could it be the lack of parental involvement with their children? The liberal attitude of society that says "No problem getting pregnant, just get an abortion.". The attitude kids have that "My mother (other relative) will take care of my baby for me.". The attitude of most kids that "I really love the daddy and he really loves me.", right! Who's the first one to deny any involvement? Or is it something else?
Interesting

Boston, MA

#2 Jul 9, 2008
Music eh? Does you elevator not go all the way to the top? I love how people place the pregnancy blame on everything but the people involved. It people are stupid enough to do what they hear or see that's their fault. If you haven't taught your children what a positive influence is maybe you should take a look in the mirror. Music is music, movies are movies parents need to step to the plate and educate their kids about consequences and stop blaming everything else. Last time I checked none of these so called influences make you pregnant, having sex makes you pregnant....
Rachel

Boston, MA

#3 Jul 9, 2008
Are you kidding me? Music?

Yeah, lets pin the blame on everything else but the real cause of the problem: SHITTY PARENTING.

It's not up to the media, or music, or celebrities to teach your children about safe sex practices, and the risks involved with sex. It's up to the parents. Rise in parental paranoia? How about lack thereof? Parents these days depend on the internet and tv to raise their kids. God forbid they do the job themselves.

My parents were open with me about sex, taught me the risks, and gave me good concrete advice. There was no pressure in either direction, and they encouraged me to talk to them when I felt I was ready.

It's tough to talk to your kids rationally about the icky sex stuff, but if you aren't adult enough to handle it, don't have children
burger

Nonantum, MA

#4 Jul 9, 2008
I am cracking up at this. Music? ha ha

Seriously - you may want to listen to music that was made before the 1980s. Sexual references in music is not a new thing.

If parents taught their kids about sex and to respect themselves, a lot of these kids wouldn't be having babies.

As a 30 year old - I can tell you that no song in history has ever influenced me to do anything...except maybe dance, turn up the volume or turn it off.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#5 Jul 9, 2008
It seems that there is common agreement that the larger problem is the lack of proper parenting...I completely agree!

burger is right on the money with music and the fact that if you don't like it, turn the stuff off.

Parents should be regulating (I know someone will hate that term) what their children listen to when they are able to monitor, as well as TV or Internet or anything else, and also realize they cannot always monitor or stop all of it.

Open communication and teaching a child respect for yourself is a key thing too.
Franko

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#6 Jul 9, 2008
ALthough parenting is one of the main ingredients, and yes, music has it's influence although much smaller, I would say that the problem is much wider than just any ONE thing.

SOciety in general seems to be allowing more and more liberal atittudes, decade by decade.

The line of what is acceptable or not acceptable is moving further and further left, and if we are not careful it will get so that sooner or later there is nothing even there to the left of the line anymore .. which means of course that anything and everyting will be OK .. bestiality, pedophlia, killing people for sport,...whatever you want, yeah go ahead and do it.

If we get anywhere near that point of course, society will discover that it will not be working anymore .. there need to be limits and controls in place or chaos will result.

What will happen as we get near that point is a backlash and the pendulum will swing the other way again ....
Ajay

Clinton, MA

#7 Jul 9, 2008
I agree with the writer. Music is the cause of all pregnancies. I'm the result of it... of course, the music blamed then was from 1954. My daughter is the result of it as well... of course, the music blamed that time was from 1974...
Marie P

Waltham, MA

#8 Jul 9, 2008
I can't believe what I'm reading. Music? Come on people. Do you really think that our youth are that stupid? I grew up listening to some music you would probably question and I turned out just fine. My son listens to the same stuff I listened to and more hard core than I did and he is graduating and collegebound. I remember back in the 80's kids were killing themselves and everyone blamed the music they were listening to. I listened to that same stuff and my friends and I would just scratch our heads and wonder why people would make such stupid comments. Don't blame the music. Don't blame Jamie Spears or any other celebrity out there. Blame the parents. Obviously the girls were looking for something/someone to love so they went and got pregnant. Mom and dad may be so busy that they are ignoring what's going on in front of them. Maybe if more parents were on top of their kids and what their doing and who their with, this wouldn't be an issue. But to pass blame onto music is just covering the truth...that its the parents fault.
angelstarszzz

Boston, MA

#9 Jul 9, 2008
Thats insane...its not the music...these kids don't have morals..thats the problem...music..never made me have sex
angelstarszzz

Boston, MA

#10 Jul 9, 2008
AJAY OMG LOL thats hilarious..yes music is to blame...and movies are to blame for terrorism..sad but true
Liz

Wilmington, MA

#11 Jul 9, 2008
Teens were getting pregnant long before Jaime Lynn Spears, rap, heavy metal, jazz, waltzes, novels, and every other popular art form that has been blamed for corrupting youth.
in awe

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Jul 9, 2008
okay, this is just retarded.. im not even going to begin on how stupid this is. music?? c'mon... whoever came up with this is just straight out IGNORANT!!!
Seems Silly

United States

#13 Jul 10, 2008
I remember back in the '70's Paul Anka's song "Having My Baby" was blamed for an explosion in teen pregnancies. As silly as it seems to me, there will just always be people who want to blame the music, movies, tv for all teenage angst instead of the teenagers themselves.
Ajay

Clinton, MA

#14 Jul 10, 2008
What's wrong with all you people? Don't you know that prior to Jaime Spears and rap there were NO teen pregnancies? Girls and boys DID NOT have sex until after they were married! And you waited until you were well into your 20s before getting married. Then, only after the man asked the parents for the girl's hand, did a long engagement begin. Sex was unheard of until the wedding night.
I think we should ban all rap and modern music. It's obviously the downfall of the American family!
london boy

India

#15 Jul 10, 2008
im sorry but this is dumb

the biggest song lately is umbrella and "you can stand under my umbrella ella ella eh eh eh" does not equate to "get in here and f*ck me f*ck me f*ck me eh eh eh" lol

although im sure if she sang that there would be very few objections from the male population
interesting

United States

#16 Jul 10, 2008
Ajay wrote:
I agree with the writer. Music is the cause of all pregnancies. I'm the result of it... of course, the music blamed then was from 1954. My daughter is the result of it as well... of course, the music blamed that time was from 1974...
You my friend are as naive as the person who wrote the article.
Ajay

Clinton, MA

#17 Jul 10, 2008
Interesting,
I guess you can't see the joke.
Rick Schu

Southborough, MA

#18 Jul 10, 2008
I guess the Sentinel prints letters like this to generate the response seen here. Though I can't believe anyone is quite as stupid as the letter writer (Jamie Lynn Spears?). In other words, some Sentinel intern probably made the original letter up (I should know--I used to do it for other more legitimate publications...).
london boy

India

#19 Jul 10, 2008
london boy wrote:
im sorry but this is dumb
the biggest song lately is umbrella and "you can stand under my umbrella ella ella eh eh eh" does not equate to "get in here and f*ck me f*ck me f*ck me eh eh eh" lol
although im sure if she sang that there would be very few objections from the male population
then again if her umbrella is a metaphor for something sexy then this is a very sexual song. hmmmm

well i would like very much to join her under her umbrella. when she was naked and silver.
Long live Rock and Roll

Nashua, NH

#20 Jul 10, 2008
I see in the "Community Section" of this paper there's an article that says ""Musical" coming". Wow, we better keep an eye on this and see how many pregnancies result, particularly because it says it is a "high school musical"!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fitchburg motorcycle cops Tue Bottled beer 45
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) Tue Bottled beer 435
Lynch's Council Campaign Jun 25 Bottled beer 21
111 Mason rd in jefferson/Holden ma is Aiden Ke... Jun 24 Bernie McGuiggin 25
Shareholders meeting Turtleboy Sports Jun 24 TurtleboySergeant... 1
discussing fitchburg now enabling people who th... Jun 21 Andrew 22
It's Hot!.........How will Lynch keep cool? Jun 20 Lynchburg Lemonade 2

Fitchburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance