Officer's use of comp time questioned during hearing - Sentinel...

Accusations that Capt. Charles Tasca misused compensatory time inside the Police Department came down to Tasca's word against Police Chief Robert DeMoura's at a disciplinary hearing inside City Hall Thursday morning. Full Story
Citizen 1

Chicopee, MA

#23 Jan 8, 2010
In my opinion the City failed Captain Tasca, when he notified the City that he was going to have to take some time off do to his daughter battling a life threating Medical Issue.

All that should have been said to him after 42 years of service, was "Captain you do what ever you have to do to take care of your daughter and your family"!

Someone here in the Department will take care of your procedural pay issues, as any parent with a child battling a life threating issue I am sure the last thing on your mind is work related issues. Plus what parent could even be thinking clearly in this type of a family predicament?

Plus if their was any conjectural issues who ever Administratively was in charge should have hypothetically taking care of them for Captain Tasca. In my opinion that would have been the decent human thing to do?
retired LPD

Leominster, MA

#24 Jan 8, 2010
AlLeslie wrote:
To say I'm disappointed is a gross understatement.
All witnesses weren't contacted or interviewed.
Both agree that the discussion took place in front
of those witnesses. One says 'Comp Time' wasn't
discussed, the other naturally says it was. One
dubious witness who admitted he was a friend if
the person under suspicion supports the statement
that it was. The other witness wasn't contacted
(apparently from what the Sentinel reported) or
even spoken too. The investigator did what surely
appears to be a shoddy job for a 'ballpark $5,000.
to $10,000'. The Mayor moved on that same slip-
shod, ice slick, Persian Bazarre fashion perhaps
a little too hasty.
So, in the end it all comes back to "he said,
he said" with no real resolution. In the final
chapter this will probably result in some form of
dollar settlement for Tasca and in his favor not
the City's. Some number of Police Officers were at
the hearing no doubt now knowing what will happan
if they do get investigated. This has got to be
Fiction it cannot be anything but that as it has
now reached comic proportions and no one would
believe it to be truth. Even more unfortunately
this cash strapped city will have to pay for that
settlement, Tasca will be back at his desk from the
looks of things and everything will go on as it
always has been. Sure NOW somehow, someway Comp
time will have to be kept on record in some form
of 'Official' basis. BUT, that's it, nothing more.
I cannot believe that Tasca will get anything
more by way of discipline. I think I'll start my
own investigation service, for $5 to 10 K and
come up with the end result this did, well, that
ought to be pretty easy.
Disgusted by how this was done, what was done,
what was not done and the ultimate end result.
Leslie
Leslie, let me enlighten you so you can stop being so confused about the way things were done. Tasca, Louney and Gallant were ruthless bastards who hurt many people. Tasca has always been a thief since his early days on the department but he was always protected by others in power around him, especially over the last twenty-five years. The best officers on the job were the ones these clowns would target because their devotion to duty was a threat to a corrupt administration whose primary agenda was doing nothing. It's the reason why Tasca terminated the gang unit and along with Louney interfered with major narcotic personnel from every agency. It is no surprise that these bastards have been cooking the books in their favor for years. They are reponsible for city being in the state that it is today. Any complaints that were ever generated against them were always squashed by what ever Mayor was in office because Tasca and his ilk had convinced them that the rank and file were the ones who were corrupt. For years the foxes were in charge of the hen house until now. Mayor Wong and Chief Demoura may have saved this city. God Bless the FPD..........
Real World

Braintree, MA

#25 Jan 8, 2010
retired LPD wrote:
<quoted text> Leslie, let me enlighten you so you can stop being so confused about the way things were done. Tasca, Louney and Gallant were ruthless bastards who hurt many people. Tasca has always been a thief since his early days on the department but he was always protected by others in power around him, especially over the last twenty-five years. The best officers on the job were the ones these clowns would target because their devotion to duty was a threat to a corrupt administration whose primary agenda was doing nothing. It's the reason why Tasca terminated the gang unit and along with Louney interfered with major narcotic personnel from every agency. It is no surprise that these bastards have been cooking the books in their favor for years. They are reponsible for city being in the state that it is today. Any complaints that were ever generated against them were always squashed by what ever Mayor was in office because Tasca and his ilk had convinced them that the rank and file were the ones who were corrupt. For years the foxes were in charge of the hen house until now. Mayor Wong and Chief Demoura may have saved this city. God Bless the FPD..........
Agreed!! Tasca has been fired. I don't believe the investigation was a waste of money. I believe it was long overdue and I'm pleased that he has been fired.
AAA

Waterford, ME

#26 Jan 8, 2010
Ward 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Eddie, how are you? See what you started, it's still having your effect. All these years later.
Sorry Ward 3, but I'm not the person you think I am. I'm not the only person that was smart enough to get out of that cesspool, FITCHBURG, and move north.
Justice

Belmont, MA

#27 Jan 8, 2010
spade wrote:
I say it like it is. I may dislike Tasca but the investigation should have included interviewing all witnesses. A he said, he said argument is ridiculous, especially when you are dealing with top administators in a department. This really got **** up and it is the top who is to blame. What a waste of my tax dollars. I am beginning to think the Chief could not find his hand in a paperbag.
Tasca spoke and buried himself further. No one else had to testify; comp he kept in his head from 2001! And he had an attorney with him?? This may be on the dumbest criminal show this week. Louney quit the day before his investigation! Kearns is under the scope now!
If Louney is charged with Larceny he can lose his pension! Next step is the Internal Investigations that Kearns,Louney and others illegally and in direct violation of the oath!
Keep rolling on; Fitchburg will grow into the positive so fast peoples heads will spin!!!
CONCERNED CITIZEN

Fitchburg, MA

#28 Jan 8, 2010
Real World wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed!! Tasca has been fired. I don't believe the investigation was a waste of money. I believe it was long overdue and I'm pleased that he has been fired.
I'd like to know who signed his pay check because someone must of approved it in order for him to be paid and if no one is over seeing payroll there's a bigger issue here and ultimately this should be what is investigated. I know I have a chain of command and my check is signed by someone other than me and if there is a question it's addressed before that check is cut. So who's in charge of approving and paying these men and women. If we are paying this much for an investigation shouldn't we be interviewing all known witnesses and looking into just how the city pays it's employees and what is the procedure that should be followed? How qualified is this investigator because as a tax payer I would hope he would do a thorough job otherwise many people would question this outcome and the city could be looking at a law suit.
Justice

Belmont, MA

#29 Jan 8, 2010
Citizen 1 wrote:
Charlie and family you hang in their you have a hell of a lot of supporters in th City.
This all over a Comp Time Issue that could have been conjecturally handled internally, plus to do this to a man who has dedicated his life to the Department which he so ably serves.
Plus to "kick a man" when his daughter is battling a life threating medical issue? He could have easily gone out on the Family Medical leave act.
Hopefully the City Council will act swiftly and put Captain Tasca back on full duty status. and make him whole for any money loss.
Bye bye Tasca you crook!!! Louney and kearns will see you in court as co-defendants! You should turn on both to get a lighter prison term; they are younger than you!!!
Think of all the people you harmed by abusing authority. KKarma is the sweatest Justice on the planet earth!
Justice

Belmont, MA

#30 Jan 8, 2010
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Ward 3, but I'm not the person you think I am. I'm not the only person that was smart enough to get out of that cesspool, FITCHBURG, and move north.
Fitchburg started to be a cesspool in 2000 on a level of no return! If you go back further yes you can say since 1990. These guys ruined the integrity of any resemblance of what the oath they swore to stands for. Their are others!!!

I still am amazed that Tasca stated he accumulated these paid weeks in his head!! Louney must of been like "why are you messing our story up"? LMAO.

Is there a ceromony we all can go to and watch the badge ripped off the uniform?? Make sure you get that crooks gun!!!!!

Louney, you may have skipped out on an internal investigation but the best is yet to come; The justice department and FBI now take over. The first one who sings gets to stay out of jail!!!!

Who will sing??? I knew the accounting ledger would tell it all!!!! There is no way around it!! So now they have to take that account heading that they were using to embezzle and run it through the books!! What checks filled this account? There is more to this! Tasca was feeling the water temperature with Demoura!! Did you hear Tascas testimony??? LMAO, LMAO.. You think he would be smarter than that; Tasca, you should approach the DA and sing brother because you will drown otherwise; Louney,Kearns,Gallant and others are itching to take the deal!!!!!The EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM! START SINGING!!!!
Wondering

Leominster, MA

#31 Jan 8, 2010
AAA wrote:
The mayor really wants to get rid of all the high ranking police officals. If all she can come up with on Tasca is misuse of comp time then she is really desparate. The city has no extra money to spend so she goes out and hires this so called investigater at $5k to $10k to investigate a few days of comp time. This whole thing is all about money, thats it. In the long run this will cost Fitchburg alot more than the $10k that Mayor Dong paid Inspector Clouseau. I have a feeling she will do the same thing to Phil Kearns. Wheather you dislike Tasca or not this whole thing really stinks and the stench is originating in Mayor Dongs office.
Does the term "WITCH HUNT" mean anything to you.
Den Leominster

Fitchburg, MA

#32 Jan 8, 2010
Good luck to Tasca and his family. Nice to serve the city for all these years then get kicked in the butt
Questions

AOL

#33 Jan 8, 2010
No one has asked, comp time from 01 and 02? That was carried an awful long time. How much was his salary then vs now? That comp time should have been used during his tenure as chief or within the following year.
CONCERNED CITIZEN

Fitchburg, MA

#34 Jan 8, 2010
Questions wrote:
No one has asked, comp time from 01 and 02? That was carried an awful long time. How much was his salary then vs now? That comp time should have been used during his tenure as chief or within the following year.
As I stated earlier is this all his fault? Where is the accountablity for the person that appproves the hours and signs the pay checks, I'm sure he's not the only issue with regards to comp time. I would suggest that all time for every employee is looked at because we are the taxpayers paying the bill! Maybe the city in general has not been held accountable for the money and time of it's employess. We saw it happen in city hall with missing money, supervision starts with the mayor and city council and all the people assigned to approve hours, sign pay checks and approve how the money in the budget is spent.
Wondering

Leominster, MA

#35 Jan 8, 2010
Commen Sense wrote:
Wong and Demoura wasted $10,000 to investigate this! COMP TIME, COMP TIME, are you shitting me! They should be the ones on unpaid leave... I cannot believe that the Cty Council will allow this type of head hunting to continue with the City's budget situation. Demoura just gave away $10,000 of tax payers money to his retired buddy.
I agreed...With the advice of an idiot like Ciota, I'm sure the mayor will fire Tasca. However, there is no way on gods green earth that this will stand up with the Civil Service Commission. Tasca will get all his back pay plus. Not to mention a certain law suit for age discrimination and retaliation against him for fighting the deputy chief position that wasn't even approved by the city council or civil service. Must have been more great advice the mayor got from Ciota. I wonder what kind of investigation the mayor did when she hired Ciota and DeMorua??? Firing someone is one thing. Making it stand with crap like he said he said is a JOKE!!! Mayor Wong could care less because she won't have to sign the check to pay Taca in the end. Where in hell has the Chief been in all this? Read the City of Fitchburg Codes. Powers and Duties of the Police Chief: He is supposed to be in entire control of the police department. List him as MIA. He's the one that should be discipline for allowing a supposed mis-use of comp., time if that is what they are alleging. Why didn't the chief call Tasca in and asked him about the use of his comp. time. No, instead, he and his other idoits called the mayor to report we might have something on Tasca. Then is sounds like they got this Donovan in who I've heard was friendly with DeMoura when he was with the Lowell PD. This really is starting to stink!
Cooking the books 101

Belmont, MA

#36 Jan 8, 2010
Den Leominster wrote:
Good luck to Tasca and his family. Nice to serve the city for all these years then get kicked in the butt
He served all these years stealing and abusing his fellow officers. Fudge him; I am sure they all have cache of cash!!! What did he serve???? Serve is an overstatement that went to his head, this is the reason that he confessed without thinking it was wrong. He felt he was above!! Fudge him ! He got what he deserved!!!!
Cooking the books 101

Belmont, MA

#37 Jan 8, 2010
CONCERNED CITIZEN wrote:
<quoted text>
As I stated earlier is this all his fault? Where is the accountablity for the person that appproves the hours and signs the pay checks, I'm sure he's not the only issue with regards to comp time. I would suggest that all time for every employee is looked at because we are the taxpayers paying the bill! Maybe the city in general has not been held accountable for the money and time of it's employess. We saw it happen in city hall with missing money, supervision starts with the mayor and city council and all the people assigned to approve hours, sign pay checks and approve how the money in the budget is spent.
You can approve paychecks all the time. Tasca exposed what people call; COOKING THE BOOKS.Tasca disagreed, saying he described to DeMoura the comp time he wanted to use, telling him it wasn't recorded in the Police Department database, but rather tallied up in his mind"

Read the next paragraph SLOWLY!!!! The FEDS now come in and talk to the accountant who entered the payroll into an inappropiate account for the time taken! Then they tell her she can avoid federal prison if she cooperates and explains whom told her to jot false information into the books!
See, "you need to cook the books" in order to enter "off the books" comp time which we now know was kept in the whirlwind of Tascas memory databank!LOL
changing it to a category called "other/department/union, " which indicated he was working."
Cooking the books 101

Belmont, MA

#38 Jan 8, 2010
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I agreed...With the advice of an idiot like Ciota, I'm sure the mayor will fire Tasca. However, there is no way on gods green earth that this will stand up with the Civil Service Commission. Tasca will get all his back pay plus. Not to mention a certain law suit for age discrimination and retaliation against him for fighting the deputy chief position that wasn't even approved by the city council or civil service. Must have been more great advice the mayor got from Ciota. I wonder what kind of investigation the mayor did when she hired Ciota and DeMorua??? Firing someone is one thing. Making it stand with **** like he said he said is a JOKE!!! Mayor Wong could care less because she won't have to sign the check to pay Taca in the end. Where in hell has the Chief been in all this? Read the City of Fitchburg Codes. Powers and Duties of the Police Chief: He is supposed to be in entire control of the police department. List him as MIA. He's the one that should be discipline for allowing a supposed mis-use of comp., time if that is what they are alleging. Why didn't the chief call Tasca in and asked him about the use of his comp. time. No, instead, he and his other idoits called the mayor to report we might have something on Tasca. Then is sounds like they got this Donovan in who I've heard was friendly with DeMoura when he was with the Lowell PD. This really is starting to stink!
Ready read slow, do you have your drool cup adjusted?????

These are Tascas own words. Ready?? You'll see this hearing on the show "DUMBEST CRIMINALS". Tasca disagreed, saying he described to DeMoura the comp time he wanted to use, telling him it wasn't recorded in the Police Department database, but rather tallied up in his mind.

""(DeMoura) said 'I understand how that happens, and how that time works," said Tasca while under oath.

Tasca Thought the New Chief may want to get in on "the business as usual,embezzlement". Tasca nor anyone else that will be criminally charged has a chance of beating this one!! LMFAO; HA<HA,HA,HA! About time!!! Send them all packing!!!! We will stand strong with you Mayor Wong. There are more to come!! Tasca put them all out there!!
As Tasca stated "they have been doing this for years,All the administration"!

Yesterday the fraudulant "account name was given"; at least one of the accounts! The federal Government is on its way!!! There is no stopping them now! If you are a friend of Tascas; I would tell him to sing like a bird, before Kearns,Louney,Gallant of others get first in line! The truth is out there now; it is all a game of saving your own but t now!!!!
changing it to a category called "other/department/union, " which indicated he was working."
Susie Q

Westminster, MA

#39 Jan 8, 2010
In previous posting it was said that it was Mark Looney & MS Cheeseman that were present for the comp time talk w/ Demoura. The secretary to the cheif WAS Ms. Cheeseman whom the cheif fired! For an unknown reason, if I were her I would help either. And Looney Tunes was doing the records clerk Elsa.
Explained

Fitchburg, MA

#40 Jan 8, 2010
Joseph house wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the same secretary that louneys been doing? That could explain it.
nope you have the secretary confused with the unqualified but not inexperienced girl louney allegedly hired with federal grant money to work for and on him i.e. paid for play: http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/a...
Susie Q

Westminster, MA

#41 Jan 8, 2010
No she used to be the rcords clerk, and then she was something to do w/domestic violance grant. Same person, Elsa, she held two differant jobs, the records clerk first, then the other, and she was fired by the cheif right after Ms. Cheeseman. And then Looney quit a few days later.
rassberry

Worcester, MA

#42 Jan 8, 2010
it`s funny how the investigator or wongway wong didn`t interview any witness that might side with tasca and ciotta also i find it interesting that ciotta questioned tascas friend with lunney meanwhile wong was the one to hire demuras pal to investigate and also hired the hearing officer, and brought in their witnesses maybe take it out of their salaries to pay for this shame, oh well you voted her in

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 3 hr Kevin Lynch 88
This time I really mean it. Really. 4 hr Kevin Lynch 13
FPD brass responsible.for Million dollar cost t... 4 hr Kevin Lynch 3
A new Hope 9 hr OMG 5
5 finalist for Chief of Fitchburg ,Ma. 12 hr Kevin Lynch 37
davd gould 12 hr BillyBob 7
A change of culture at Fitchburg Police Dept. -... (Nov '10) 14 hr The Insider 270

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match

Fitchburg Jobs

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]