The Terrible Fear of Paying the Poor Too Much

Posted in the Fitchburg Forum

Money Zoo

Boston, MA

#1 Apr 24, 2014
Republicans in America suffer a crippling anxiety. It's the terrible fear of corporations paying poor workers too much.

The GOP is so afraid that the nation's lowest wage earners will get a raise that Republican politicians across the country are working overtime to outlaw wages above $7.25 an hour for these workers.

They're passing legislation forbidding towns and counties from raising the minimum wage in their jurisdictions. Republicans insist: no pay bump for those raking in $15,080 a year! On the other side, however, there's no amount of pay, perks, private jets, premium health plans and golden parachutes that Republican politicians believe could possibly be too much for a CEO.

That Oracle CEO Larry Ellison took home $78,440,657 last year is completely reasonable in the minds of Republicans. That it would take a minimum wage earner 5,201 years to earn what Larry took out of his company for one 365-day period is, according to Republican-think, a morally correct calculation.

That is why Republicans are working so hard to prevent Walmart and McDonald's workers from earning more money while, at the same time, doing nothing but congratulating Time Warner Cable CEO Rob Marcus for grabbing $79.9 million for six weeks of work.

Republican Mary Fallin, governor of Oklahoma, is among them. She signed a law last week forbidding towns in her state from increasing the minimum wage. Fallin, whose state lays claim to the third highest proportion of minimum wage earners in the country, a percentage that rose from 2011 to 2012, justified denying these workers a few extra pennies an hour by saying that would raise prices.

She and her GOP cohorts haven't fussed at all, however, about the cable bill increases likely to result from Marcus' proposed merger of Time Warner Cable and Comcast, the corporate marriage which would result in that $79.9 million dowry payment to him.

http://politix.topix.com/story/11668-the-terr...
Donna B

Revere, MA

#2 Apr 24, 2014
Interesting!

You forgot to mention off shore accounts, and all the tax loopholes. I am just kidding. Very informative, I hadn't read up on the merger.
Money Zoo

Boston, MA

#3 Apr 24, 2014
Donna B wrote:
Interesting!
You forgot to mention off shore accounts, and all the tax loopholes. I am just kidding. Very informative, I hadn't read up on the merger.
Went by Ellisons Mansion in Newport last week, appears he's spending the 79 million on renovations!!!!

Google it.
Jtn

Concord, MA

#4 Apr 24, 2014
Donna B wrote:
Interesting!
hi suck on a buttered up lollipop
Resident

Gardner, MA

#5 Apr 24, 2014
Nobody will work even if the minimum wage is raised to $10 per hour. They would rather be on welfare.
Jtn

Concord, MA

#6 Apr 24, 2014
Resident wrote:
Nobody will work even if the minimum wage is raised to $10 per hour. They would rather be on welfare.
yes including Zrobyn red breast fu
Chris

Gardner, MA

#7 Apr 25, 2014
Resident wrote:
Jesus said we would always have the poor among us...,,he knew even back then that Fitchburg would one day have Lynch and Gomez
Resident

Gardner, MA

#8 Apr 25, 2014
Free EBT account
Free healthcare
Free daycare
Free pickup and return for daycare
Free Food
Free Rent
Free utilities
Free cellphone
Free college

They would have to have a job that pays at least $40K or more a year to be able to get all of this.

Why should they work when they can stay home, stay up late, wake up mid afternoon and hang out on their 3 decker porches watching the cars drive by and get all these benefits.

When someone becomes a slave to welfare it is very tough to break the cycle and get them off it. They become so accustomed to receiving all these benefits they could never see themselves ever losing it.
Voter

Bedford, MA

#9 Apr 25, 2014
Money Zoo wrote:
Republicans in America suffer a crippling anxiety. It's the terrible fear of corporations paying poor workers too much.
The GOP is so afraid that the nation's lowest wage earners will get a raise that Republican politicians across the country are working overtime to outlaw wages above $7.25 an hour for these workers.
They're passing legislation forbidding towns and counties from raising the minimum wage in their jurisdictions. Republicans insist: no pay bump for those raking in $15,080 a year! On the other side, however, there's no amount of pay, perks, private jets, premium health plans and golden parachutes that Republican politicians believe could possibly be too much for a CEO.
That Oracle CEO Larry Ellison took home $78,440,657 last year is completely reasonable in the minds of Republicans. That it would take a minimum wage earner 5,201 years to earn what Larry took out of his company for one 365-day period is, according to Republican-think, a morally correct calculation.
That is why Republicans are working so hard to prevent Walmart and McDonald's workers from earning more money while, at the same time, doing nothing but congratulating Time Warner Cable CEO Rob Marcus for grabbing $79.9 million for six weeks of work.
Republican Mary Fallin, governor of Oklahoma, is among them. She signed a law last week forbidding towns in her state from increasing the minimum wage. Fallin, whose state lays claim to the third highest proportion of minimum wage earners in the country, a percentage that rose from 2011 to 2012, justified denying these workers a few extra pennies an hour by saying that would raise prices.
She and her GOP cohorts haven't fussed at all, however, about the cable bill increases likely to result from Marcus' proposed merger of Time Warner Cable and Comcast, the corporate marriage which would result in that $79.9 million dowry payment to him.
http://politix.topix.com/story/11668-the-terr...
If wealth is such an evil thing than I suppose you'll support asking your Democrat leaders to return the contributions they've recieved from the wealthy?

Here's a list to start with.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2013/...

Interesting that the Huff Post article you copy and pasted doesnt mention where Comcast spends their money when it comes to greasing the palms of politicians. I'll help you with that as well.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php...

Looks like the lion's share of their contributions are to...wait for it...Democrats.$383K. But you're right, Let me guess,
Voter

Bedford, MA

#10 Apr 25, 2014
The Democrats are only going to use that money for good. And they're not going to let the evil cable company raise rates?
Money Zoo

Boston, MA

#11 Apr 25, 2014
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
If wealth is such an evil thing than I suppose you'll support asking your Democrat leaders to return the contributions they've recieved from the wealthy?
Here's a list to start with.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2013/...
Interesting that the Huff Post article you copy and pasted doesnt mention where Comcast spends their money when it comes to greasing the palms of politicians. I'll help you with that as well.
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php...
Looks like the lion's share of their contributions are to...wait for it...Democrats.$383K. But you're right, Let me guess,
I never said wealth was an evil thing now did I?

What the opinion said was, one party is working to and investing money in actively stopping from allowing minimum wage increases for people who work full time and earn 15K making them eligable for Welfare.

We're not subsidizing people here, we're subsidizing Walmart, McDonalds, Exxon Mobile, Bank executives and so forth.

And all that has ZERO to do with campaign contributions, care to address the fact that 10 dollars an hour was considered base in 1990??????

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/upshot/the-... #

You think having more poor people in the country is a good thing?
You think tons of cash at the top and no middle is going to help the US stay competitive in the world?
You think our economy will continue to grow when nobody except the super rich have any momney to spend?
Money Zoo

Boston, MA

#12 Apr 25, 2014
Resident wrote:
You speak of "they" as if you know all of them, "they" is not a response you can claim on all those people, "they" are lazy is in your head only.
GOTP

Boston, MA

#13 Apr 25, 2014
The onpy chart you need on productivity and wages...

http://www.correntewire.com/only_chart_you_ne...

You DO know what increased "productivity" means right?
And what THAT means along with stagnant wages right?

Sorry I feel I have to spell it out for you but your response proved you either lack the ability or want to deny the facts.

Why would you not want Americans to prosper along with corporations profits which Americans work at creating?
Resident

Gardner, MA

#14 Apr 25, 2014
Money Zoo wrote:
<quoted text>
You speak of "they" as if you know all of them, "they" is not a response you can claim on all those people, "they" are lazy is in your head only.
Yes I can. I was one of "them" ! I know how to use the system. I also had the welfare mentality.
Jeremia

Concord, MA

#15 Apr 25, 2014
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I can. I was one of "them" ! I know how to use the system. I also had the welfare mentality.
take care of me
you know

Gardner, MA

#16 Apr 26, 2014
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
All that means is you are lazy
Resident

Gardner, MA

#17 Apr 26, 2014
I donít care if I am lazy and is labeled lazy. At least I donít have to work. Why should I work and my friends donít have to? Welfare is now a life long lifestyle that is passed down from generation to generation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is Kevin Lynch? 4 min kev lynch 24
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 28 min Listening 138
The Roys Capture 4th Consecutive ICM Bluegrass ... 43 min BillyBob 38
Criminal justice system's 'dark secret' (Mar '13) 52 min Celeste 16
Fake charges against Lynch were DISMISSED 57 min kev lynch 73
Ex-Realtor charged with allegedly bilking clien... (Jun '09) Dec 19 pedro 15
lynch for mayor 2014 (Apr '12) Dec 19 BillyBob 341

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info