Westminster cell tower plan hits snag...

Westminster cell tower plan hits snag - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 36 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Apr 3, 2009, titled Westminster cell tower plan hits snag - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Telecommunications company AT&T may have to alter the location of its proposed cell tower after a misunderstanding of town bylaws.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Supporter of WATCH

Salem, MA

#1 Apr 3, 2009
Why hasn't legal action been taken regarding the ILLEGAL PARKING? Stop this Cell tower, as if it gets approved, there will be dozens in the area. JUST SAY NO TO CELL TOWERS and the GREEDY CROWLEY family.

Kudos to Donna Brownell!!
MIke

Charlestown, MA

#2 Apr 3, 2009
ppl are dumb
O-So-Lo-Mio

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Apr 3, 2009
Supporter of WATCH wrote:
Why hasn't legal action been taken regarding the ILLEGAL PARKING? Stop this Cell tower, as if it gets approved, there will be dozens in the area. JUST SAY NO TO CELL TOWERS and the GREEDY CROWLEY family.
Kudos to Donna Brownell!!
What the heck is WATCH? Do you mean WEST? I agree, voodoos to Donna Brownell and hurray for the Crowley family.
Just wondering

Gardner, MA

#4 Apr 3, 2009
Is everyone really against the cell tower? Or is everyone just got a beef cause it will be on the Crowleys land? I think the latter. If this was a wind turbine going up, and all the $$'s were going to the town, I bet the abutters would have a different story. I hope that Donna Brownell doesn't lose her electricity and phone service for 10 days, and has an emergency and needs to call 911 and can't, cause there aint no cell service on 140. Getting sick of the tree huggers.....if the town would let me, I would put the tower in my backyard.
Just wondering

Gardner, MA

#5 Apr 3, 2009
Supporter of WATCH wrote:
Why hasn't legal action been taken regarding the ILLEGAL PARKING? Stop this Cell tower, as if it gets approved, there will be dozens in the area. JUST SAY NO TO CELL TOWERS and the GREEDY CROWLEY family.
Kudos to Donna Brownell!!
Do you or any of your family mebers have/use a cell phone?
Just wondering

Gardner, MA

#6 Apr 3, 2009
Supporter of WATCH wrote:
Why hasn't legal action been taken regarding the ILLEGAL PARKING? Stop this Cell tower, as if it gets approved, there will be dozens in the area. JUST SAY NO TO CELL TOWERS and the GREEDY CROWLEY family.
Kudos to Donna Brownell!!
Stick to your own problems in Stow.......oh, thats right, Stow is a perfect little community and had no issues.
Kotiomt

Paxton, MA

#7 Apr 3, 2009
The Town of Westminster has lost its charm a longtime ago as far as I am concerned, mostly because of the people like those that belong to W.E.S.T. that hinder progress. One of the reasons the tax base is so high is because of the lack of alternative tax revenues from business's and light industry zoning restrictions. Keep it up and soon your tax bills will be higher than your mortgage payments. Why I left!
Fizbo

West Tisbury, MA

#8 Apr 4, 2009
WATCH and W.E.S.T. are the same, with the same goals. They want Westminster to keep it's small town, quiet rural portrayal, and not change.

FP
O-So-Lo-Mio

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Apr 4, 2009
Fizbo wrote:
WATCH and W.E.S.T. are the same, with the same goals. They want Westminster to keep it's small town, quiet rural portrayal, and not change.
FP
where can I find WATCH?
Westminster Senior

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Apr 4, 2009
Gee Wizz, Give the cell tower a break. It's supposedly in a 194 acre parking lot (if you believe the Sentinel) and that is quite large. It's also a quarter mile from the nearest dwelling. I'd actually like to see it on the top of the mountain as it may work better. In any event, Westminster has been blocking progress for years. Anti-Walmant, anti-Home Depot. My taxes are killing me and just getting worse every year. Donna Brownell's statements almost always indicate her lack of knowledge concerning the local and state laws. She so far to the left I'm suprised she doesn't tip over and hurt her head. Reminds me of a female Joe Serio at the Drug Store. Additionally, anyone in Westminster that knows John Adams feels he's a "piece of work" so no need to say anything more about this YoYo. Seems like anybody can get a law degree these days. We could use the cell tower and probably even a few more in the right spots.
Supporter of WEST

West Tisbury, MA

#11 Apr 5, 2009
Suppose the cell tower falls over in the parking lot? I happens all the time. Suppose the cell tower kills some people? Donna Brownell is correct,
the Cell Tower is the WRONG idea. And why does Crowley get away with leasing the mountain from the State of Massachusetss for next to nothing? The Crowleys, if they had their way would remove ALl the trees from the mountain and make it one big ski resort, with the traffic, noise, pollution and more.
NO CELL TOWERS IN WESTMINSTER!
Supporter of WEST

West Tisbury, MA

#12 Apr 5, 2009
Here's an example of the Crowley's destruction of the environment:

Wachusett Mountain Associates - Princeton
Years of mismanagement of Mt. Wachusett State Reservation by Wachusett Mountain Associates has damaged the natural ecology of the public park.

WEST (Watchdogs for an Environmentally Safe Town) has documented numerous examples, including felling of and damage to rare old growth trees along ski trails, runoff from snow making activities flowing into the City of Fitchburg's water supply, and the recent clear-cutting of eight acres of protective red oak that served as a critical buffer to the largest stand of old growth forest east of the Connecticut River.

WEST is demanding that Wachusett Mountain Associates turn its environmental legacy around and begin to safeguard the natural beauty of Central Massachusetts' largest public reservation.

If the Cell Tower is approved, it will flood the area with microwave radiation and pose health problems. There are documented studies showing Cell Towers causing cancer, killing wild life, interfearing with fire/police radio operations also.

NO CELL TOWERS IN WESTMINSTER
Supporter of WEST

West Tisbury, MA

#13 Apr 5, 2009
Westminster Senior wrote:
Gee Wizz, Give the cell tower a break. It's supposedly in a 194 acre parking lot (if you believe the Sentinel) and that is quite large. It's also a quarter mile from the nearest dwelling. I'd actually like to see it on the top of the mountain as it may work better. In any event, Westminster has been blocking progress for years. Anti-Walmant, anti-Home Depot. My taxes are killing me and just getting worse every year. Donna Brownell's statements almost always indicate her lack of knowledge concerning the local and state laws. She so far to the left I'm suprised she doesn't tip over and hurt her head. Reminds me of a female Joe Serio at the Drug Store. Additionally, anyone in Westminster that knows John Adams feels he's a "piece of work" so no need to say anything more about this YoYo. Seems like anybody can get a law degree these days. We could use the cell tower and probably even a few more in the right spots.
We need more people like John Adams who has the courage to speak out against ATT!

Since: Mar 08

West Tisbury, MA

#14 Apr 5, 2009
Supporter of WEST wrote:
<quoted text>
We need more people like John Adams who has the courage to speak out against ATT!
Tree Hugger
You are kidding

Gardner, MA

#15 Apr 5, 2009
Supporter of WEST wrote:
Suppose the cell tower falls over in the parking lot? I happens all the time. Suppose the cell tower kills some people? Donna Brownell is correct,
the Cell Tower is the WRONG idea. And why does Crowley get away with leasing the mountain from the State of Massachusetss for next to nothing? The Crowleys, if they had their way would remove ALl the trees from the mountain and make it one big ski resort, with the traffic, noise, pollution and more.
NO CELL TOWERS IN WESTMINSTER!
AT & T would be responsible for the tower, and then the Crowleys would be second in line.
Show me one time where a cell tower collapsed in mass and killed someone.
Are you against anything over 100 ft in height?
Are you against fire towers to watch for forest fires?
Are you against wind turbines?
Are you against buildings over 3 stories....they could collapse you know.
Are you against utility poles too? They might collapse.
Try to solve your own issues in Medway

Since: Mar 08

West Tisbury, MA

#16 Apr 5, 2009
Wondering why the cell tower behind Mr. Mikes off Rt 117 and I-190 wasn't completed? There were some issues regarding a "fall zone" mentioned. It's been a few months since the tower was partially built, then stopped...
Luther Manning

West Tisbury, MA

#17 Apr 5, 2009
Ken Burgess wrote:
Wondering why the cell tower behind Mr. Mikes off Rt 117 and I-190 wasn't completed? There were some issues regarding a "fall zone" mentioned. It's been a few months since the tower was partially built, then stopped...
The Leominster Planning Board and the City Council requested that a "fall zone" equal to the height of the cell tower be put into effect. So, if the tower is 200' tall, it has to have a 200' fall zone around it, and no parking or anything else.

There were concerns it would topple over onto the highway or the gas station.

There was also concern that the tower being near I-190, ice would fly off the tower in high winds and cause problems. Fact is, there is a greater danger of ice flying off the roofs of trucks and cars than from a cell tower.

And there are dozens of cell towers right next to
major highways. Towers are designed to collapse in
wards and down vs "falling over". The "Fall Zone" issue is being used in the Wesminster scenario.

Back to the Leominster Cell Tower, last thing I heard it was on hold due to the objections of ice
flying off and "fall zone", by the City Council.

I predict a long and costly process if ATT wants to build a tower in Westminster. The "Anti Cell Tower" faction in MA gets their way most of the time.

[End of Rant]
O-So-Lo-Mio

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Apr 6, 2009
Fizbo wrote:
WATCH and W.E.S.T. are the same, with the same goals. They want Westminster to keep it's small town, quiet rural portrayal, and not change.
FP
I still have no answer as to where I can find WATCH???
huh

Princeton, MA

#19 Apr 6, 2009
Westminster Senior wrote:
Gee Wizz, Give the cell tower a break. It's supposedly in a 194 acre parking lot (if you believe the Sentinel) and that is quite large. It's also a quarter mile from the nearest dwelling. I'd actually like to see it on the top of the mountain as it may work better. In any event, Westminster has been blocking progress for years. Anti-Walmant, anti-Home Depot. My taxes are killing me and just getting worse every year. Donna Brownell's statements almost always indicate her lack of knowledge concerning the local and state laws. She so far to the left I'm suprised she doesn't tip over and hurt her head. Reminds me of a female Joe Serio at the Drug Store. Additionally, anyone in Westminster that knows John Adams feels he's a "piece of work" so no need to say anything more about this YoYo. Seems like anybody can get a law degree these days. We could use the cell tower and probably even a few more in the right spots.
Isn't the point of living in a town like Westminster is to get away from the Wal-Marts and Home Despots?

I think the problem most people have with the cell tower is the proposed location, not the tower itself. It is right in the view shed of the Mt. which is a view that is important enough to grace the town seal.
Guest

Springfield, MA

#20 Apr 7, 2009
Supporter of WEST wrote:
Here's an example of the Crowley's destruction of the environment:
Wachusett Mountain Associates - Princeton
Years of mismanagement of Mt. Wachusett State Reservation by Wachusett Mountain Associates has damaged the natural ecology of the public park.
WEST (Watchdogs for an Environmentally Safe Town) has documented numerous examples, including felling of and damage to rare old growth trees along ski trails, runoff from snow making activities flowing into the City of Fitchburg's water supply, and the recent clear-cutting of eight acres of protective red oak that served as a critical buffer to the largest stand of old growth forest east of the Connecticut River.
WEST is demanding that Wachusett Mountain Associates turn its environmental legacy around and begin to safeguard the natural beauty of Central Massachusetts' largest public reservation.
If the Cell Tower is approved, it will flood the area with microwave radiation and pose health problems. There are documented studies showing Cell Towers causing cancer, killing wild life, interfearing with fire/police radio operations also.
NO CELL TOWERS IN WESTMINSTER
Hey Supporter, was this the same group that when they were trying to stop the Crowley's from chopping down Old Growth Forest Trees, lived up there for a week and when they left, didn't take any of their trash with them and left all kinds of styrofoam Coffee cups and plastic wrappers all over the ground?

As for interfering with Police and Fire radios, this tower is actually being built to help them because they use ATT Cell Phones for communitcation, they are the ones that initiated the proposal. The Tower will not interfere with their radio systems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
All Fitchburg & Leominster Residents 8 min SJW Princess 11
Shareholders meeting Turtleboy Sports 17 min SJW Princess 21
Show your support for Social Justice (Jan '17) 23 min SJW Princess 12
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) 22 hr Preston Wilcox 450
Fitchburg motorcycle cops Fri Joey Lynch 69
News Fitchburg welcomed our business warmly Jul 20 Billy slob 6
Another Monday Gone. Jul 18 Shame Shame Shame 37

Fitchburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages