Westminster selectmen OK proposed rail layover station - Sentin...

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

After some heated discussion, selectmen Monday night approved in a non-binding vote to support a proposed commuter rail layover station facility at Westminster Business Park.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Supporter ot WEST

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

SHAME on the selectman for selling out and approving this. KUDO's to Bud Taylor for speaking the truth on this
issue.

Time for a class action law suit.
themoreyouknow

Maynard, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

It's nice to see Westminster finally getting some of the much needed Federal Money from the Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Obama would be proud of the job MART and Mr. Khan has done to help bring much needed jobs to the area. Kudo's to the Town Selectmen for showing the perseverance to push this through.
AWCA TV Viewer

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

I'm not active in town politics and watched in disbelief as this unfolded before my eyes.

It stunned me to see how arrogant that John Fairbanks was toward people with honest questions that should be answered and how all the town officials seemed to ignore every concern raised by the residents.

What bothered me too was how the young man who asked the question was mislead about the facts by town leaders who were trying to convince him instead of listen to concerns.

It completely changed my opinion of our town leaders because I thought they were serving to protect us, not encourage things that hurt us.

More proof we need to vote the bums out and I certainly hope we don't re-elect Fairbanks. What a truly awful person to have as a town leader.
Pay Attention

Chelmsford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Judged:

Fairbanks and Obama sound like the same person.
Tea Party Smartie

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

themoreyouknow wrote:
It's nice to see Westminster finally getting some of the much needed Federal Money from the Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Obama would be proud of the job MART and Mr. Khan has done to help bring much needed jobs to the area. Kudo's to the Town Selectmen for showing the perseverance to push this through.
You're kidding, right? This is another typical pork barrel project to make a couple of people rich at the expense of a neighborhood and community. This brings no jobs at all to Westminster and dumps all the problems on them. All this to make a couple hundred parking spaces at an old train station which nobody will use because it takes three times as long to get anywhere and costs the same (until Obama subsides that too).

Plus, if people are getting on a train to leave Westminster as commuters, doesn't that mean the jobs are located somewhere else down the tracks? So, that doesn't sound like bring jobs to Westminster, it sounds like a needless boondoogle to stimulate our national debt.

Didn't the Selectman in Westminster learn anything when Scott Brown was elected here in Massachusetts? Westminster voted overwhelmingly for him because the taxpayers are sick and tired of this type of needless government spending of our hard earned money and doing it in communities that don't want it.

This was clearly a taxation without representation deal. The chairman of the board even admited he didn't want to hear from the citizens, only the fat cats raking in the little guy's tax dollars for this project. Redistribution of wealth in the other direction.

The voters of Westminster will be showing the leaders the door after this one, I'm sure.
Interested Observer

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Judged:

The Train Station on Rte 2 is long overdue.
It will be very good for the area and it's economy. I also watched the meeting on Cable
the other week and I felt embarassed by a lot
of the questions that some of the people were asking. It was like watching an old rerun of Mayberry RFD or something. It's progress,
get over it.
Westminster Dad

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Interested Observer wrote:
The Train Station on Rte 2 is long overdue.
It will be very good for the area and it's economy. I also watched the meeting on Cable
the other week and I felt embarassed by a lot
of the questions that some of the people were asking. It was like watching an old rerun of Mayberry RFD or something. It's progress,
get over it.
Out of curiosity, please tell us how it is going to help the local economy?
Resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2010

Westminster Dad wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of curiosity, please tell us how it is going to help the local economy?
Oh, you don't see how a train station has made the economy boom in downtown Fitchburg?
Me neither.

A parking lot in the middle of nowhere isn't going to do anything for the local economy unless your a scumbags looking for a good secluded spot to break into cars. The town makes no money off the layover station and there are no jobs associated with it that aren't already slated for current union employees. It's a 55 million dollar gift to the MBTA, and that is all it is. Only the business park benefits, not the residents in general.
Andy King

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2010

Resident William Bud Taylor said selectmen are being unfair by not addressing all resident concerns for a project of this magnitude and rushing the decision to approve the facility.

Move to Ashburnham, Bud and you won't ever have to worry about no progress again.
Westminster Resident

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

Judged:

Nice to see all the intellectuals in town agree on this issue.
Harry Henderson

Northborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

Ha Ha just wait til its built and I will laugh at al you against it! tough sheet its gonna happen get over it...
Resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

Wow, so you just want to see it built out of spite?
Now there's some good reasoning.

Still haven't seen an argument for it here that didn't consist solely of insults. Guess that's how the real 'intellectuals' roll huh? You must be very proud. You guys remind me of the guy that wanted the shopping center built so he wouldn't have to do business with people that have accents. Classy and informed.
Harry Henderson

Northborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

wow youre so much better than me...pat on the back. Mark my words it will be built and it will be beneficial to the area. Damn yuppies.....always trying to keep their pockets on swoll. I love it when you have to spend more money! geeeeah
Resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

Got any examples of some of the 'benefits' other towns have reaped from existing train yards?

And why are you so proud of being a poor hick that needs other people's money to be happy? Yuppie - not hardly. Better than you - very much so. Keep rolling out insults instead of facts; obviously that's all you've got.
Resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

themoreyouknow wrote:
Westminster gets no money. The MBTA gets the money, then distributes it to the unions.
Harry Henderson

Northborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

lies i tell you lies...im actually living comfortably hahahaha not rich like you money bags! Im gonna guess youre a woman too...sounds like it.:o)
Resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

Accurate, informed and filled with convincing arguments as always.

What part of that money goes to the town and through what channels?
themoreyouknow

Maynard, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Westminster gets no money. The MBTA gets the money, then distributes it to the unions.
We'll see how many new businesses setup shop in the Business Park now that there will be a rail spur leading right into it. Time will tell. Until then, you can't predict what will happen.
Harry Henderson

Northborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

if only this could happen to everyone against it

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

themoreyouknow wrote:
<quoted text>
We'll see how many new businesses setup shop in the Business Park now that there will be a rail spur leading right into it. Time will tell. Until then, you can't predict what will happen.
The only benefit of it is that maybe being able to share one of the spurs during certain hours for occasional shipments might help a attract a client of two who would in turn pay property taxes. Or it might not. Or maybe the place will fill up with companies that have no use whatsoever for a rail line. You're right, we can't predict that. We DO know for sure that none of the $55M is going to the town though. It's MBTA money to build with, and you know it's going to be union crews doing the work, so basically it's another nice little kick in the wallet to the usual suspects, courtesy of the taxpayers once again.

Truthfully, I don't have much of a problem with them building it, beyond believing it's a giant waste of taxpayer money (but what else is new). I have no problem with the owners of the business park trying to make money; capitalism is alrith with me. But really, the people that go on and on about how much the town is going to benefit everytime anything gets built are myopic. It's like they live in some wierd Westminster vaccuum where they can't manage to even look around themselves at other towns to see how this stuff has panned out in the past.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Fitchburg Forum right now

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 19 min Wared Out 1,146
Will Jtn ever post an Intelligent comment in th... 11 hr The True Story 27
Solicitor: FSU bid to convert arena no good 13 hr Karen 2
Gravestones found toppled at Fitchburg cemetery 13 hr Karen 9
Union chief: Morale remains low at DCF 22 hr Pajama People 39
I'll be off topix for a month Fri karen 3
Fitchburg gets $4.2M for mill project Fri Jtn 2
•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs