Nobody could have predicted

Posted in the Fitchburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jun 20, 2012
Newly released NSA documents prove beyond doubt, the Bush administration was asleep at the wheel!!!!

"Over 120 CIA documents concerning 9/11, Osama bin Laden and counterterrorism were published today for the first time, having been newly declassified and released to the National Security Archive. The documents were released after the NSA pored through the footnotes of the 9/11 Commission and sent Freedom of Information Act requests.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB381...

The material contains much new information about the hunt before and after 9/11 for bin Laden, the development of the drone campaign in AfPak, and al-Qaida’s relationship with America’s ally, Pakistan. Perhaps most damning are the documents showing that the CIA had bin Laden in its cross hairs a full year before 9/11 — but didn’t get the funding from the Bush administration White House to take him out or even continue monitoring him. The CIA materials directly contradict the many claims of Bush officials that it was aggressively pursuing al-Qaida prior to 9/11, and that nobody could have predicted the attacks.“I don’t think the Bush administration would want to see these released, because they paint a picture of the CIA knowing something would happen before 9/11, but they didn’t get the institutional support they needed,” says Barbara Elias-Sanborn, the NSA fellow who edited the materials.

Let’s start there. In 2000 and 2001, the CIA began using Predator Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Afghanistan.“The idea of using UAVs originated in April 2000 as a result of a request from the NSC’s Coordinator for Counterterrorism to the CIA and the Department of Defense to come up with new ideas to go after the terrorists in Afghanistan,” a 2004 document summarizes. The Pentagon approved the plan for surveillance purposes.

And yet, simultaneously, the CIA declared that budget concerns were forcing it to move its Counterterrorism Center/Osama bin Laden Unit from an “offensive” to a “defensive” posture. For the CIA, that meant trying to get Afghan tribal leaders and the Northern Alliance to kill or capture bin Laden, Elias-Sanborn says.“It was forced to be less of a kinetic operation,” she says.“It had to be only for surveillance, which was not what they considered an offensive posture.”

“Budget concerns … CT [counterterrorism] supplemental still at NSC-OMB [National Security Council – Office of Management and Budget] level,” an April 2000 document reads.“Need forward movement on supplemental soonest due to expected early recess due to conventions, campaigning and elections.” In addition, the Air Force told the CIA that if it lost a drone, the CIA would have to pay for it, which made the agency more reluctant to use the technology.

Continued next
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Jun 20, 2012
Continued:

Still, the drone program began in September 2000. One drone swiftly twice observed an individual “most likely to have been Bin Laden.” But since the CIA only had permission to use the drones for intelligence gathering, it had no way to act on its findings. The agency submitted a proposal to the National Security Council staff in December 2000 that would have significantly expanded the program.“It was too late for the departing Clinton Administration to take action on this strategic request,” however. It wasn’t too late for the Bush administration, though. It just never did.

Former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice has taken credit for the drone program that the Bush administration ignored.“Things like working to get an armed Predator that actually turned out to be extraordinarily important, working to get a strategy that would allow us to get better cooperation from Pakistan and from the Central Asians,” she said in 2006.“We were not left a comprehensive strategy to fight al-Qaida.” Rice claimed that the Bush administration continued the Clinton administration’s counterterrorism policies, a claim the documents disprove.“If the administration wanted to get it done, I’m sure they could have gotten it done,” says Elias-Sanborn.

Many of the documents publicize for the first time what was first made clear in the 9/11 Commission: The White House received a truly remarkable amount of warnings that al-Qaida was trying to attack the United States. From June to September 2001, a full seven CIA Senior Intelligence Briefs detailed that attacks were imminent, an incredible amount of information from one intelligence agency. One from June called “Bin-Ladin and Associates Making Near-Term Threats” writes that “[redacted] expects Usama Bin Laden to launch multiple attacks over the coming days.” The famous August brief called “Bin Ladin Determined to Strike the US” is included.“Al-Qai’da members, including some US citizens, have resided in or travelled to the US for years, and the group apparently maintains a support structure here,” it says. During the entire month of August, President Bush was on vacation at his ranch in Texas — which tied with one of Richard Nixon’s as the longest vacation ever taken by a president. CIA Director George Tenet has said he didn’t speak to Bush once that month, describing the president as being “on leave.” Bush did not hold a Principals’ meeting on terrorism until September 4, 2001, having downgraded the meetings to a deputies’ meeting, which then-counterterrorism czar Richard Clarke has repeatedly said slowed down anti-Bin Laden efforts “enormously, by months.”

For all the information the documents reveal, one huge matter is conspicuously absent: torture. There are nearly 50 CIA documents relating to such matters as the interrogation of 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the intelligence gleaned from him, and yet “none of them were declassified at all,” notes Elias-Sanborn.“Certainly, the CIA has a stake in revealing what they did,” and they clearly do not want to reveal their complicity in war crimes.

One last thing is worth mentioning from the documents published today: Anyone with any doubt that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is dangerous to the United States is contradicting U.S. intelligence.“Violence between Israelis and the Palestinians, moreover is making Sunni extremists more willing to participate in attacks against US or Israeli interests,” the CIA wrote in February 2001. It is not the only piece of information revealed by the new documents that will be deeply uncomfortable for the Bush administration and hawks across the country.

Jordan Michael Smith
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Jun 20, 2012
Documented, provable massive incompetence and devastating for Bush apologists!

"And thousands of Americans died. Then tens if not hundreds of thousands of Afghanis and Iraqis died from further Bush/Republican incompetence. And anyone who thinks that the fallout from Bush's 9/11, Afghan, and Iraq fiascos is over has no idea what is going on in the hearts and minds of the relatives of the people Bush - and in their minds, all of America - killed. And because 9/11 is far over, and because someone halfway competent needs to be in charge, this country cannot afford another modern Republican president. It's too dangerous.

Romney - who is exactly the same as Bush but without Junior's rapier wit, work ethic or keen, probing mind- must be defeated."

tristero
Hmmmm

Albany, NY

#4 Jun 20, 2012
So if Barack inherited Bush's financial mess then it would only stand to reason that Bush inherited Clinton's domestic surveillance and protection mess.

Thanks for clarifying.
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Jun 20, 2012
Hmmmm wrote:
So if Barack inherited Bush's financial mess then it would only stand to reason that Bush inherited Clinton's domestic surveillance and protection mess.
Thanks for clarifying.
All you've done is prove, you don't like reading!!!!!!!

"Still, the drone program began in September 2000. One drone swiftly twice observed an individual “most likely to have been Bin Laden.” But since the CIA only had permission to use the drones for intelligence gathering, it had no way to act on its findings. The agency submitted a proposal to the National Security Council staff in December 2000 that would have significantly expanded the program.“It was too late for the departing Clinton Administration to take action on this strategic request,” however. It wasn’t too late for the Bush administration, though. It just never did."

Thanks for clarifying that!
Just Facts

Framingham, MA

#6 Jun 21, 2012
Hmmmm wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.
Hmmmm,

You can't really expect much from Etch...he is still in Bush bashing mode. Maybe someone should tell him that Bush isn't in charge anymore. Obama needs people like Etch to keep making excuses for him because he has been such a poor president. It really won't matter in another 6 months or so because Obama will lose re-election and then the healing can start.
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Jun 21, 2012
Of course, the problem is me, not what was done by a Presidential Administration in this great country.

Like, what Hitler did was OK cause it is in the past!
Like, what Manson did id OK cause it's in the past!
Like what Bulger did is OK cause it's in the past!

Sorry, it's not me that's the problem, it's the history of this country!!!!

But that doesn't matter cause you're busy fabricating the end of the country based on your conspiracy theories!

Remember yesterday's lesson meathead? It's government records that count, not your partisan hatred for Democrats!

Oh and you're a LIAR sooooooooooo........
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Jun 21, 2012
Just Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm,
You can't really expect much from Etch...he is still in Bush bashing mode. Maybe someone should tell him that Bush isn't in charge anymore. Obama needs people like Etch to keep making excuses for him because he has been such a poor president. It really won't matter in another 6 months or so because Obama will lose re-election and then the healing can start.
Also scoundrel who likes talking ABOUT people instead of addressing them! That's exactly what you are, a snake oil salesman, a cheat, LIAR, thief, back stabber, BS Artist, oh and chicken sh*t LIAR!
Just Facts

Framingham, MA

#9 Jun 21, 2012
Etch,

I've allowed you drag me into your bickering and name-calling and bullshit, and the thought occured to me yesterday that it is just silly.

You are a silly little boy that likes to play silly little games and I've decided I'm not playing your games anymore.

You don't have to like it, thats just the way it is...you can refer to me however you like, it is of little consequence.

Have a great day!!
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Jun 21, 2012
Just Facts wrote:
Etch,
I've allowed you drag me into your bickering and name-calling and bullshit, and the thought occured to me yesterday that it is just silly.
You are a silly little boy that likes to play silly little games and I've decided I'm not playing your games anymore.
You don't have to like it, thats just the way it is...you can refer to me however you like, it is of little consequence.
Have a great day!!
OK LIAR, fine, thanks for at least addressing me instead of backstabbing me to others.

The problem with "my silly games" (your posts) is that they always end in you eating crow, big time, lying your ass off and hiding under a fabricated wave of BS and misdirection.

Doesn't mean I'm going to stop calling you out for your BS either! If you insist on putting forth BS attacks absent any evidence and factual reality, you're gonna hear about it!

Have a great day as well. And remember, all you have to do is post reality, pragmatic, reasonable Government oversight, all will be fine.

I actually liked the way it used to be before Republicans decided to (Karl Rove) lie, cheat, steal, fabricate and manipulate in order to gain or stay in power (permanent Republican Majority sound familiar?). Both sides used to present their cases on reality, truth and reasonableness and the Democracy worked the way it is supposed to, based on reality.

Kinda means you'll have to stay off fox news, Breitbart, Drudge and the wingnut fringe conspiracy generation machine! Let's see how long you last.
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Jun 21, 2012
This proof of incompetence has nothing to do with me, I didn't pour through NSA documents, I didn't make FOIA requests for data, I'm just passing along the PUBLIC RECORD!

"Over 120 CIA documents concerning 9/11, Osama bin Laden and counterterrorism were published today for the first time, having been newly declassified and released to the National Security Archive. The documents were released after the NSA pored through the footnotes of the 9/11 Commission and sent Freedom of Information Act requests.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB381 ...

The material contains much new information about the hunt before and after 9/11 for bin Laden, the development of the drone campaign in AfPak, and al-Qaida’s relationship with America’s ally, Pakistan. Perhaps most damning are the documents showing that the CIA had bin Laden in its cross hairs a full year before 9/11 — but didn’t get the funding from the Bush administration White House to take him out or even continue monitoring him. The CIA materials directly contradict the many claims of Bush officials that it was aggressively pursuing al-Qaida prior to 9/11, and that nobody could have predicted the attacks.“I don’t think the Bush administration would want to see these released, because they paint a picture of the CIA knowing something would happen before 9/11, but they didn’t get the institutional support they needed,” says Barbara Elias-Sanborn, the NSA fellow who edited the materials."

And history will decide.
Just Facts

Framingham, MA

#13 Jun 21, 2012
Nobody could have predicted that Obama would be stupid enough to back himself into the corner like he has now done, but the expression, "give someone enough rope" may apply here.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/21/ex...

Obama's cronies told lawmakers that the President knew nothing about the fast and Furious debacle, but Obama now wants to invoke executive privelege...hmmmmm

Which is it Mr. President? Did you know about it or didn't you?
Obama

Fitchburg, MA

#14 Jun 21, 2012
Just Facts wrote:
Nobody could have predicted that Obama would be stupid enough to back himself into the corner like he has now done, but the expression, "give someone enough rope" may apply here.
Obama's cronies told lawmakers that the President knew nothing about the fast and Furious debacle, but Obama now wants to invoke executive privelege...hmmmmm
I say, continue to "Think" as it is not illegal yet!!! If the Republicans get there way then it may become illegal.

Obama received a disaster of an economy, so bad that no one knew if it was going to totally collaspe within days. The Republicans have BLOCKED every Pro-American jobs bill.

Bush has destroyed the American economy to a point that it will take a decade just to be able to stand without legs shaking! If Romney is elected then the economy will just take another four years out to get steady on its legs.

Obama nor anyone can fix the American economy after the Bush cronies drained it as they stole all of the countries' treasures and planted them in Dubai! Even Massachusetts has its on perverted oasis/sand filled island off the coast of Dubai. Scott Brown sun baths there!!
Just Facts

Framingham, MA

#15 Jun 21, 2012
Somebody was asleep at the wheel alright, but it wasn't Bush. There were 3 separate opportunities during Clinton's term where we could have terminated OBL, and the Clinton boys didn't get the job done.

It is likely that 9/11 wouldn't have happened if Clinton wasn't asleep at the wheel.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/21/decl...
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Jun 21, 2012
Just Facts wrote:
Somebody was asleep at the wheel alright, but it wasn't Bush. There were 3 separate opportunities during Clinton's term where we could have terminated OBL, and the Clinton boys didn't get the job done.
It is likely that 9/11 wouldn't have happened if Clinton wasn't asleep at the wheel.
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/21/decl...
Here's what you're trying to PUT ON Clinton...

1) Bush wasn't asleep at the wheel, Clinton was.(BTW, thanks for stealing my chosen words!!!!)

If the President who came first was asleep at the wheel, what is it when the next one DOES NOTHING and we are attacked! That's right, ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL!

2) Clinton had 3 chances to get OBL.

At that time (1998), what had OBL done that would be reason to kill him, even the Cole was in late 2000!!!

"According to Rice, the decision not to respond militarily to the Cole bombing was President Bush's."

3) It is "likely" (that's YOU making assertions) that 9/11/wouldn't have happened.

It is also (fair is fair) "likely" that it wouldn't have happened IF Condi and Co. hadn't ignored the infamous memo 3 months before!

"The declassified intelligence report said the FBI had detected "patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings."

The memo, titled "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the U.S.,"

The memo includes intelligence on al Qaeda threats as recent as three months before the attacks.

Highlights of the report include:

• An intelligence report received in May 2001 indicating that al Qaeda was trying to send operatives to the United States through Canada to carry out an attack using explosives. That information had been passed on to intelligence and law enforcement agencies.

• An allegation that al Qaeda had been considering ways to hijack American planes to win the release of operatives who had been arrested in 1998 and 1999.

Thanks Clinton administration for capturing these guys!!!!!!

• An allegation that bin Laden was set on striking the United States through early 2001.

• Intelligence suggesting that suspected al Qaeda operatives were traveling to and from the United States, were U.S. citizens, and may have had a support network in the country.

What you're leaving out is...

In Bush's term, as posted yesterday, the CIA couldn't get a hold of Bush cause he was on a month long vacation in August!!!!!!

Oh and lastly, who was the President when it happened?

Nobody has to use the word "LIKELY" when answering THAT ONE!!!!
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Jun 21, 2012
"Perhaps most damning are the documents showing that the CIA had bin Laden in its cross hairs a full year before 9/11 — but didn’t get the funding from the Bush administration White House to take him out or even continue monitoring him. The CIA materials directly contradict the many claims of Bush officials that it was aggressively pursuing al-Qaida prior to 9/11,"

Keep posting, you'll be able to bury that paragraph if you just keep trying to mis-direct people!!!
Etch A Sketch

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Jun 21, 2012
Just Facts wrote:
"Nobody could have predicted"
"Asleep at the Wheel"

Why do you have to always STEAL MY words Mr. fact-less? Why are you always COPYING ME???

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but geez come on, can't you use your own words!!!!!!!!!!

Your arguments amount to oh yeah, I can do the same thing, you know, like a child! Yes you can but can you find your own words child?
Just Facts

Framingham, MA

#19 Jun 22, 2012
Nobody could have predicted that Obamas government would impose regulations and fines that would require the oil refineries to use an additive that doesn't exist...typical Obama at work. How can you fine someone for not adding something that doesn't exist? easy if your Obama and his agencies...its ok to just steal money from businesses...right?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/21/re...
huh

Leominster, MA

#20 Jun 22, 2012
I think you should stop using Fox News as your reference. They make up stuff.
Just Facts

Framingham, MA

#21 Jun 22, 2012
The typical sort of response from people that have been indoctrinated well by the Mass Media. I guess you think every entity out on The Internet isn't speaking the truth just because they can affirm the information from Fox too.

http://epaabuse.com/7533/news/epa-sued-over-m...

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2012/06/...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/afpm-...

http://www.npnweb.com/ME2/dirmod.asp...

The EPAs own records indicate that ethanol based fuels do not exist, so how can they fine companies for not using ethanol?
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/rfsdata/2011emt...

and who the hell do you think is paying for the increased costs for this mandate? The taxpayers of course...I guess you like paying more for gasoline than you have to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank God the USA hells angels child porn leade... (May '13) 4 hr Rotten Richard 58
Another Lynch Failure 17 hr TortouisBoy Sports 7
What ever happened to Rodgers Bros. pickled meat? (Feb '12) Apr 21 Sven 43
Another Monday Has Come And Gone Apr 21 Captain Crunch 7
111 Mason rd in jefferson/Holden ma is Aiden Ke... Apr 20 Daoust 19
Lynch's Council Campaign Apr 20 Bunny Moynihan 3
Indoor yard sale 4/22/17 Apr 18 In the Know 4

Fitchburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages