Americans know who really shut the Government down, no matter how many times you fart and point at the dog!!!!!!!Who Shut Down the Government?
By Thomas Sowell
Even when it comes to something as basic, and apparently as simple and straightforward, as the question of who shut down the federal government, there are diametrically opposite answers, depending on whether you talk to Democrats or to Republicans.
There is really nothing complicated about the facts. The Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted all the money required to keep all government activities going — except for ObamaCare.
This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
As for the House of Representatives' right to grant or withhold money, that is not a matter of opinion either. You can check the Constitution of the United States. All spending bills must originate in the House of Representatives, which means that Congressmen there have a right to decide whether or not they want to spend money on a particular government activity.
Whether ObamaCare is good, bad or indifferent is a matter of opinion. But it is a matter of fact that members of the House of Representatives have a right to make spending decisions based on their opinion.
"The GOP wasn't in especially good shape before, but the shutdown crisis and the threats to crash the economy on purpose have been an unmitigated disaster for the party, causing the sort of collapse in public support pollsters simply don't see very often.
What's the good news for Republicans in the poll? There is no good news.
* Approval ratings: While President Obama's approval rating improved after GOP lawmakers shut down the government, Republican support has collapsed. In the new poll, 70% of Americans disapprove of the way in which GOP lawmakers are doing their jobs. Republicans have reached a level of unpopularity unseen in the history of the poll.
* Shutdown: Asked who bears responsibility for the shutdown, a 53% majority blame congressional Republicans. Less than a third (31%) blame the president.
* "Obamacare": Despite the difficulties the Affordable Care Act has encountered since the open-enrollment period began, support for the law has increased.
* Generic ballot: Democrats enjoy an eight-point advantage in the congressional midterm elections (47% to 39%), as compared to a three-point advantage last month (46% to 43%).
* Government activism: By a 52% to 44% margin, Americans believe the government should do more, not less, to solve problems. In June, the results were evenly split.
* Patriotism: A 70% majority believe congressional Republicans are "putting their own political agenda ahead of what is good for the country."
Republican pollster Bill McInturff added, "These numbers lead to one inescapable conclusion: The Republicans are not tone deaf; they are stone deaf."
Reince Priebus' "rebranding" campaign hit a few potholes in recent months, but it's now fallen into a deep sinkhole.
In other words, Republicans have effectively punched the nation in the gut, for reasons Republicans have not fully explained and fail to fully understand themselves.
You bozo's prove this last point day after day right here on this board!!!
"fail to fully understand themselves."