Students say they're not bothered by military recruiters on campus

North Middlesex Regional High School senior Nolan Wetherall has seen plenty of his classmates do push-ups in front of military recruiters at school for military key chains and T-shirts. While Wetherall, 17, ... Full Story
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#21 Dec 4, 2007
Recruiters recruit anywhere they can. They need new recruits and it is their job title to do it and I do not think they are picky as to where they get them. If a child is old enough to drive a car which is a major responsibility then they are old enough to make the decision to or not to join the military. Are you saying that middle class area children have better judgment than "poor" area children.
Ron

Boston, MA

#22 Dec 4, 2007
"Are you saying that middle class area children have better judgment than "poor" area children."
I just reread my comment, I mistyped I meant to write: it should not be done at ANY school. Just because recruiters need to recruit does not mean we should allow it everywhere.

I fail to see how driving a car and going into the military are similar in scope. have you seen how some kids drive? I hope they don't shoot guns that way.
Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#23 Dec 4, 2007
No idiot, he's saying they have less opportunity leaving them less choice. Like I said, you're a rock!
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#24 Dec 4, 2007
Blah, Blah, Blah......are you still saying stuff?
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#25 Dec 4, 2007
Wrong message board, disregard the last post.

It has to do with making choices, either way it is a choice.
Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#26 Dec 4, 2007
Yep, block your ears. Nananananana, very adult like. Shannon Bush?
Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#27 Dec 4, 2007
http://www.coloradoconfidential.com/showDiary...

All puffed up and blustery! Meet reality!
Eirikur

United States

#28 Dec 4, 2007
Hawk...don't mouth off about what you don't know! I served...PROUDLY...and still donate my time and money to military causes around the country, so NEVER EVER question what I'M doing for the soldiers! You're an idiot!!

Second! Did any of you ever think that maybe by recruiting in the poor areas that the opportunity to enlist might be a way out for some of the less fortunate? I served with many soldiers who saw the military as a foot up for themselves and their family. A full time job, an education, medical and dental, a place to live, a pension...and all at the same time that you're serving the country that you love. Yes, you're taught to kill but you're taught alot more as well. How many people working in the civilian sector learned their trade while in the military? I for one, and I know several police, fire, doctors, lawyers, pilots, etc...the list can on for hours. Some of you guys just don't get it...and never will. Thank a soldier!!!
Fitchburg Native

Plainville, CT

#29 Dec 4, 2007
Hawk wrote:
All I have said is, you would like to ignore the one real requirement of a Soldier, it's to Kill in case it never entered your mind! Doesn't make them any less honorable IMO.
I believe your anti-war attitude has clouded your thoughts. The real requirement of a soldier is to defend this country from harm. Killing is the last choice of defense. Soldiers ARE receiving an education. They are flying C130 Hercules Aircraft, performing surgery on wounded soldiers in the field and rebuilding war torn countries. Open your eye's!
Shannon

Winchendon, MA

#30 Dec 4, 2007
Eirikur wrote:
Hawk...don't mouth off about what you don't know! I served...PROUDLY...and still donate my time and money to military causes around the country, so NEVER EVER question what I'M doing for the soldiers! You're an idiot!!
Second! Did any of you ever think that maybe by recruiting in the poor areas that the opportunity to enlist might be a way out for some of the less fortunate? I served with many soldiers who saw the military as a foot up for themselves and their family. A full time job, an education, medical and dental, a place to live, a pension...and all at the same time that you're serving the country that you love. Yes, you're taught to kill but you're taught alot more as well. How many people working in the civilian sector learned their trade while in the military? I for one, and I know several police, fire, doctors, lawyers, pilots, etc...the list can on for hours. Some of you guys just don't get it...and never will. Thank a soldier!!!
"I believe your anti-war attitude has clouded your thoughts. The real requirement of a soldier is to defend this country from harm. Killing is the last choice of defense. Soldiers ARE receiving an education. They are flying C130 Hercules Aircraft, performing surgery on wounded soldiers in the field and rebuilding war torn countries. Open your eye's!"

You two couldn't have said it better! Here, Here!
Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#31 Dec 5, 2007
I believe your PRO-WAR attitude causes death! Directly. 3,913 dead soldiers so far in Iraq, you don't see the flag draped coffins coming home though do you?

IF they make it home, they may go on to have all that success. Your "last resort" (I always thought that too) was completely blown out of the water with our declaration of Pre-Emptive War based on lies, so, no, no last resort anymore, you don't get to claim that anymore!

Shannon, look at your hands, see the opposing thumbs, those and your brain are supposed to seperate humans from the Animal Kingdom.

You all assume I'm not thankful for their sacrifice but your also wrong. My point is the sacrifice they make!

Spin away!
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#32 Dec 5, 2007
Hawk wrote:
I believe your PRO-WAR attitude causes death! Directly. 3,913 dead soldiers so far in Iraq, you don't see the flag draped coffins coming home though do you?
IF they make it home, they may go on to have all that success. Your "last resort" (I always thought that too) was completely blown out of the water with our declaration of Pre-Emptive War based on lies, so, no, no last resort anymore, you don't get to claim that anymore!
Shannon, look at your hands, see the opposing thumbs, those and your brain are supposed to seperate humans from the Animal Kingdom.
You all assume I'm not thankful for their sacrifice but your also wrong. My point is the sacrifice they make!
Spin away!
Hawk, in case the crack that you are smoking is clouding your vision, I had said in a previous message that the Animal Kingdom doesn't seem to have as many problems as the "human Kingdom" and the animal kingdom is kill or be killed, so why not learan from them.
Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#33 Dec 5, 2007
OK Shannon, I don't smoke crack thank you very much. Humans have the ability not only to think but to reason, this is why you have the ability to conclude "the Animal Kingdom doesn't seem to have as many problems as the "human Kingdom"". Animals cannot make those distinctions.

End of class.
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#34 Dec 5, 2007
Hawk wrote:
OK Shannon, I don't smoke crack thank you very much. Humans have the ability not only to think but to reason, this is why you have the ability to conclude "the Animal Kingdom doesn't seem to have as many problems as the "human Kingdom"". Animals cannot make those distinctions.
End of class.
Sure Hawk whatever you say.
Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#35 Dec 5, 2007
E: If your as concerned as you say,(use all the threatening CAPS you want at me) you'd be very interested in the 400,000 case backlog of the VA!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-rieckhoff/...

And what is going to be done about it. Do you think recruiters are telling these truths to prospective enlistees? I say, no, they are not.
Eirikur

United States

#36 Dec 5, 2007
Once again Hawk...you know not what you preach! The Huffington Post?? gimme a break, talk about spin. Here's more spin from Hawk..."A war based on lies" spin the left liberal talking points much...typical anti-American hate speech...Hawk hates America and everything that we stand for...just admit it Hawk...that's the first sign of knowing you have a problem. All enlistees are just that...enlistee...on their own, no one forced us to enlist and we know about the dangers we may face during war time and after...but I did it anyway...why? Because I believe America is a noble and good country, I'm proud to live here and wanted to give back to the country I love. The mouth garbage that haters like Hawk spew on a regular basis just proves that I did the right thing. I'd like to see them preach this drival in Iran...or The Sudan...or any number of Islamic Fascist countries. Go ahead Hawk, if you don't think Islamafascist exist...move to Iran...how long do you think you'd last?

“Baise toi.”

Since: Nov 07

Amherst, NH

#37 Dec 5, 2007
What "truths," Hawk? Unsupported numbers you spotted at a blog running on Ariana Huffington's web site? Maybe you should email that link to the Pentagon, and give the rest of us a break.

Here's the skinny straight from the VA themselves:

http://www1.va.gov/opa/fact/claimpro.asp

Looks like their goal is a 250,000 case backlog, with 336,000 claims open as of publication back in March of 2005. I can't find an authoritative source (you don't qualify) with more timely data.

Further, it appears that part of that backlog was due to at least one court decision that "held that denial of a claim is premature before the expiration of the one-year period established by the Veterans Claims Assistance Act of 2000."

Do you ever get tired of your own uninformed bullshit?
Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#38 Dec 5, 2007
I love this country and screw you guys. Seems you know the word fascism, do you know what it actually means?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,206415...

"250,000 case backlog, with 336,000", yeah, nice proof, those numbers are SO far away from 400K huh?

I will say, thank you very much for doing your service so I can spew my beliefs, honestly! That's the only true thing either of you have said.

Other than that I'm an America hater, somehow, Anti-American, whatever the frig that means, you guys just bite on anything your masters tell to you. You don't even know what America stands for.

Six years and you haven't figured out it was a lie? WAR PROFITEERING is all this Occupation is about. Ever hear of the Walter Reed scandal? You know, maintenence outsourced to Haliburtion who left your comrades in filth and urine. Delusional people.

“Baise toi.”

Since: Nov 07

Amherst, NH

#39 Dec 5, 2007
Hawk wrote:
"250,000 case backlog, with 336,000", yeah, nice proof, those numbers are SO far away from 400K huh?
My point was that they're shooting for 250K open at any given time, with a ~140 day turnaround. Considering that they process 750K claims per year, 250K strikes me as a reasonable goal.

In fact, they have 336K open, so they've fallen short of their goal. You (stupidly) presented your inflated figure as though it were some kind of crisis. Someone reading your horseshit might have inferred that the VA had 400K EXTRA unresolved claims when in fact they're about 80K higher than their target, and they claim to be making constant improvement.

Since you're so fond of invective, for the sake of balance, I'll close by saying that you're a soulless, empty-headed cock-sucking wind-bag.
Eirikur

United States

#40 Dec 5, 2007
A war based on a lie...that everyone believed, including a boat load of Dems...only Bush had the guts to step up and take action knowing full well the repercussions of such action. Maybe if Clinton had half the gonnads we never would be in this mess and maybe 9/11 wouldn't have happened...remember 9/11 Hawk?! That's where Islamic terrorists flew planes into the Trade Center and Pentagon killing over 3000 innocent people.

Outsourced to Haliburton...the only company that bid on the job, and the only company with the capacity to do the job.

Walter Reed scandal...ever been to a VA hospital?

Spin liberal crap much???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
same old same old .... 8 hr Tammy from concord 2
Will Jtn ever post an Intelligent comment in th... Thu Tammy from concord 31
Has Jtn taken over and ruined Topix Thu Tammy from concord 13
Jtn please get off topix Thu Rihanna 8
Should Jtn run for Governor of Massachusetts? Wed Jtn 3
Should Jtn be BANNED from Topix? Wed Rihanna 3
Numbers of homeless increase in region Wed The Insider 13
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••