Monty Tech superintendent resigns - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

James Culkeen resigned from his position as superintendent of the Montachusett Regional Vocational Technical School at a School Committee meeting Wednesday, after eight years on the job.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of55
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Marina

Framingham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

OKAY...DONE! What about Maria Lysen??? She should also resign or let go of her position. She has been out of work for over a month now and she is as guilty as Culkeen.....I think Tom Porter should be the next superintendent....
what a mess

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

I think his daughter should get some counseling and grow up. She is cut from the same cloth as her mother. She taught her well.
tech joke

Marblehead, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Ah! The law of Karma...
what come

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

around goes around
wow

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

The thing that WOULD be really nice is some detail as to what really happened. As of right now all we got to go on is speculation and rumors and NO ONE is talking the truth and facts. I don't like Mr. Culkeen some openness with the public and the communities involved in the school would be much appreciated. Yes its a family issue and yes it should've been kept private but they brought it into the school which is not a private place. If you want privacy you do it in private areas like the home not in a public one such as a school.
Voter

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

what a mess wrote:
I think his daughter should get some counseling and grow up. She is cut from the same cloth as her mother. She taught her well.
Culkeen got what he deserved, he lost his position. If anyone thinks he resigned out of the goodness of his heart you're fooling yourself. Most likely he was leaned upon heavily to get to this point and he agreed, albeit reluctantly. The girl probably could benefit from some counseling to come to terms with her overbearing and controlling father.
Two Peas in a Pod

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Jeffrey Schutt stated "he didn't believe the (daughter's)letter was related to DeSimone's leave of absence".

I think there is some truth to that statement. What ever happened to the alleged assault on a student with a cell phone?
2010 Grad

Hatfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Monty Tech is a great school that has built a great reputation thanks in large parts to Mr. Culkeen. The school rejects students from being admitted, when years ago anyone would be accepted. All of this progress was made under Culkeen and his spectacular staff. Now as a student, all of us hated Culkeen because he was a source of discipline. Over very immature things like lanyards and the after school monitors. Every teenager hates those who enforce rules over them. If there was an issue or a problem, Culkeen would make time to hear the students side.
Let us go back to the concerta scandal. Four students were sent to the hospital after injesting another students ADD medication. Did Culkeen just expell them and leave them hanging. No, Culkeen allowed them back into the school. Another event was when a student was being punished, the punishment was not being allowed to speak at graduation. That student created a petition and had staff and students sign. The hopes was to get Culkeen to allow him to give his speach. Three days later Culkeen granted him permission.
After leaving the school, I realized what a great job he did for the school. Now as for his daughter, that is a whole other story. I would held converstaions with her when I would see her. These conversations would be me listening to her drama and what was going wrong with her life. Kelly needs to bite her tounge and be thankful for what her parents have done for her. It is a shame that she and other events wrecked the careers of so many.
Tech Dad

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

OK you sound very angry at both Maria Lysen as well as James Culkeen. Please enlighten us on what they are guilty of. Oh please leave out your personal accusations. I am looking for facts not personal attacks. I have had 4 kids attend that school under James Culkeen and I was thankful they got in. It is a highly sought after education.....under James Culkeen. All my kids recieved amazing educations......under James Culkeen. So stop your witch hunts and personal attacks and in your response speak only facts.
Marina wrote:
OKAY...DONE! What about Maria Lysen??? She should also resign or let go of her position. She has been out of work for over a month now and she is as guilty as Culkeen.....I think Tom Porter should be the next superintendent....
Tech Dad

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

For those of you who post on this site please stick to fact. My fact is that 4 children of mine have graduated from Monty Tech under James Culkeen. They recieved wonderful educations and have gone on to be successful in both college and the workforce. James Culkeen has attended all their events, be it sports, academics, or awards. He dealt with discipline quickly and fairly. He was commended at a Fitchburg Counselors meeting at the amazing job he has done with the budget at that school. This school is a success even in the worst of economic times.
Let's hope we are not loosing someone who can run and manange this school because of personal, family, and jealous individuals who like to see "Kama" come around.
And I think we are all in agreement that Kelly needs counseling. See really created a dust storm here. Alot of distruction left behind. Nice Job
Tech Dad

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

The following post was posted by Angry in Ashby: Good bye Mr. Culkeen. I just want you to know that you were not hated by all. Just people that could not see the goodness that you did for Monty Tech.
You made a lot of good changes at Monty Tech. You contributed in helping make Monty Tech one of the best tech schools in Massachusetts.
To the next Superintendant. Good Luck. Watch your back. Have no skeletons in your closet. One wrong move and expect a witch hunt. Not a committee looking to see what you have done for the school, but one that will delve into your private life. Your family relationships not caring about the implications to his innocent family. It will all be open to the public. That is what the lynching committee did to Mr. Culkeen.
To a parent of a troubled teenager. Watch your back. Guilty till proven innocent. This paper certainly showed that a teenager with an attitude certainly has the power of playing a hand at crumbling a parents' job. Nobody is safe, this was shown.
As of Mr. Culkeen stepping down? Congratulations for not allowing your family to go through the living hell that they would have been put through.There was no need of a person investigation.
Angry in Ashby

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Tech Dad. You hit the nail right on the head.
Marina

Framingham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Ok....Jimmy was the Superintendent howEver, the education, time, attention, evaluations and recommendations were all provided by the academic and vocational teachers. Your children have achieved their goals and have been very successful because they have been determined to do so. Jimmy was an ok guy but if he did not like you for what ever reason "you were done". He in fact and everybody knows this has had a few amorous relationships in the school. He was too hard on some students and walked around the school as if he was "Superman". He would yell and belittle female staff and faculty members on a few occassions. Therefore, I dont care much for him. I am glad that he resigned and that he will be as far as possible from MT. Also, not to mention or to forget I hope he gets his name placed on the "DO NOT ALLOW IN THE BUILDING LIST"...He had a history of placing anyone who worked at MT who was either layed-off or terminated on the infamous list...INCLUDING PARENTS ANS STUDENTS. Oh...let me not forget the times that he did not evacuate the building whenever we had a bomb threat......I am for sure that the proper protocol for that would have been the evacuation of the building but since we were dealing with Jimmy making the final decision..that did not happen...I am saying this now because he is no longer there... anyway....I love MT....
Tech Dad wrote:
For those of you who post on this site please stick to fact. My fact is that 4 children of mine have graduated from Monty Tech under James Culkeen. They recieved wonderful educations and have gone on to be successful in both college and the workforce. James Culkeen has attended all their events, be it sports, academics, or awards. He dealt with discipline quickly and fairly. He was commended at a Fitchburg Counselors meeting at the amazing job he has done with the budget at that school. This school is a success even in the worst of economic times.
Let's hope we are not loosing someone who can run and manange this school because of personal, family, and jealous individuals who like to see "Kama" come around.
And I think we are all in agreement that Kelly needs counseling. See really created a dust storm here. Alot of distruction left behind. Nice Job
Counseling

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

I empathize with Mr. Culkeen and I have never met him nor have I had a child in his school.

I am the parent of a now adult individual with extreme intelligence and severe mental illness. I had deja vu when I read about Kelly Culkeen's disgraceful behavior. Whoever is her lawyer should be shunned by all respectful people.

It is true that there are children who murder their parents. There are more ways to murder than by taking their lives. It is a terrible thing to take someone's good name.

I know. I've been there, and many years later, I still experience vitriole and the willingness of gossipmongers and bullies to believe the garbage that is spewed.

Mr. Culkeen is to be commended for not publicly denouncing this bad seed. Shame on the school committee for allowing themselves to become a lynching party.
Fitchburg parent

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Jim Culkeen resigned. He resigned because he misused his power and he couldn't hide it any longer. Yes, he did many things well. That does not excuse his corrupt tactics. People keep bringing up the issue with his daughter. That issue alone would not have been enough to dismiss him. The list of issues is long and undeniable. But, don't worry about old Jimmy. He made over a million dollars while he was at Monty Tech and he was given a package that was worth close to $200,000 to resign. Tax dollars well spent. My son has now learned his best lesson from Monty Tech. If Mr. Culkeen had gotten away with things that the student body knew about then my son would have walked away w/ a much different lesson.
Grow up People

Woburn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Culkeen did not resign to save his family from the “personal investigation” he did it to save himself and his ability to secure another job,(Superintendent’s license). If indeed he was innocent and there was nothing to hide he would have allowed the investigation to go forward. In the end the facts would have proved him innocent.

The fact that he resigned and walked out a back door supports the claims that were brought against him. Had the investigation gone forward and had he been found guilty of violating the very laws he was hired to uphold; State Ethics Law(conflict of interest), Mandated reporter(51A) etc. he would have lost his license. Absent of this investigation there are no strikes against his license. No need to report him to the Commissioner of Education and the bad apple can be employed at another school district. Monty just passed along their lemon.

None-the-less the School Committee took the right steps to protect Monty. This was not a witch hunt.

As for Maria Lysen, she’s far from safe here, this isn’t over yet. How she went from teacher to director of instruction and curriculum over night is still a question on everyone’s mind. Now that her savior is gone, the school will be able to look in to how she received her licenses.

No doubt we’ll see Culkeen was her program mentor and approved/ signed off on her license. I trust the State Ethics Board will see this as an unwarranted benefit (conflict of interest) and then the Commissioner can revoke her licenses.
MT Ex-Staff

Framingham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

I have known Kelly for a few years. She was an excellent student as well as very respectful to her teachers and older folks. I remember a year and a half ago were Kelly went to an office at MT seeking assistance from the secretary. She was interrogated and then sent home. Guidance was informed the next day and no follow up was provided to the office or any other questions as to what services were provided to Kelly as a student. My point is that people are so fast and easy to judge Kelly. She was seeking help and no one at MT was able to help her because of her foster dad (Jimmy Culkeen). She is an extraordinary person as a student and as a friend. If Jimmy decided to resign from MT it wasnt because of his issue at home with his wife or kid.....it's because he has no way out of the investigation that the school committee was proceeding with. I have nothing personal against Jimmy it's just the way that he handles most things that I do not agree with...but hey..it is what it is!
MT Ex-Staff

Framingham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Love it! I could not have said that differently....I agree with you 100%....Awesome
Fitchburg parent wrote:
Jim Culkeen resigned. He resigned because he misused his power and he couldn't hide it any longer. Yes, he did many things well. That does not excuse his corrupt tactics. People keep bringing up the issue with his daughter. That issue alone would not have been enough to dismiss him. The list of issues is long and undeniable. But, don't worry about old Jimmy. He made over a million dollars while he was at Monty Tech and he was given a package that was worth close to $200,000 to resign. Tax dollars well spent. My son has now learned his best lesson from Monty Tech. If Mr. Culkeen had gotten away with things that the student body knew about then my son would have walked away w/ a much different lesson.
Marina

Framingham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Let's give Tom Porter a chance to become Superintendet of MT....I will support him 100%...
Let's investigate Maria Lysen also...she was nasty with some staff memebers and enjoyed bad mouthing students with other staff behind closed doors...her secretary knew everything...right Tammy Lafalam?
Mike from Leominster

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Marina wrote:
I think Tom Porter should be the next superintendent....
The same Tom Porter who sued the school?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of55
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
Fitchburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••