Lunenburg employees to pay more for t...

Lunenburg employees to pay more for their health-care coverage - Se...

There are 28 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jun 21, 2010, titled Lunenburg employees to pay more for their health-care coverage - Se.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Town employees have agreed to pay a slightly greater percentage of their health-insurance premiums, which should save the town and school district about $111,000 annually, according to Town Manager Kerry Speidel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Blogenburgian

Leominster, MA

#26 Jun 24, 2010
call BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but the teachers are not funding a truck barn, the taxpayers are. The same taxpayers that deserve a return on their taxes in services beyond education. Improving operating efficiencies and extending equipment life is an investment. Or we cam return to the "just say no" approach you seek and ignore needs and let them pile up-you know, that high debt we are now paying off for projects that should have been spread over 3 decades instead.
And its not just the teachers, its every town employee impacted.
Not sure what % you pay toward your health insurance, but getting public employees to 25% next year will get them closer to what the tax paying private sector contributes. Its actually very fair and I appreciate them accelerating the process and taking 1/2 the increase this year.
If the taxpayers are funding the barn why are we cutting budgets? The approx. 200K plus a year it costs to pay the 1.2M loan for the barn could have been applied to other areas of the budget. If we did not re-borrow for the barn our debt service would have been lowered, hence our property tax. Thereore ifin I was in the CAFOs shoes I would have proposed a modest overide instead of the barn and presented it to the town as a no cost increase to our tax rate just as the truck barn was presented. Our school systems rep is starting to go down the toilet. A lot bigger ROI was lost in property values with the continued cuts in our school quality.

Lunenburg

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#28 Jun 25, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
If the taxpayers are funding the barn why are we cutting budgets? The approx. 200K plus a year it costs to pay the 1.2M loan for the barn could have been applied to other areas of the budget. If we did not re-borrow for the barn our debt service would have been lowered, hence our property tax. Thereore ifin I was in the CAFOs shoes I would have proposed a modest overide instead of the barn and presented it to the town as a no cost increase to our tax rate just as the truck barn was presented. Our school systems rep is starting to go down the toilet. A lot bigger ROI was lost in property values with the continued cuts in our school quality.
Like it or not better schools equals higher property values. I can't believe we are wasting money on a "barn" when the High School is falling apart!
call BS

AOL

#29 Jun 25, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxpayers fund everything in town and decide where available funds are allocated. The taxpayers decided to allocate level funds to the schools not only because of reduced state funding but also due to declining enrollments. 50+ fewer students next year.
Our school district faces the exact same challenges as those around us and are not losing ground to the surrounding districts which means no impact to property values. Give the panic button a rest.
A debt exlusion would have added cost to the taxpayers if you got what you wanted and the amount equal to the retiring debt was spent on the school budget and not the garage. The exclusion would have been added on top.
Blogenburgian

Leominster, MA

#30 Jun 25, 2010
call BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxpayers fund everything in town and decide where available funds are allocated. The taxpayers decided to allocate level funds to the schools not only because of reduced state funding but also due to declining enrollments. 50+ fewer students next year.
Our school district faces the exact same challenges as those around us and are not losing ground to the surrounding districts which means no impact to property values. Give the panic button a rest.
A debt exlusion would have added cost to the taxpayers if you got what you wanted and the amount equal to the retiring debt was spent on the school budget and not the garage. The exclusion would have been added on top.
I noticed quite a bit of progress on Emerald Place. How is the revenue or that budgete? When do we get to send them the property tax build for the completed units that are now listed. Has the CAFO factored this into the requirements for cuts to our town employees? Doesn't sound like we need cuts with significant new revenue coming in!

Lunenburg

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#31 Jun 26, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed quite a bit of progress on Emerald Place. How is the revenue or that budgete? When do we get to send them the property tax build for the completed units that are now listed. Has the CAFO factored this into the requirements for cuts to our town employees? Doesn't sound like we need cuts with significant new revenue coming in!
I don't know how the taxes on places like that work. The developments on Flat Hill don't actually own their land, which is what we tax. They are just leasing it. Anyone know for sure how towns tax these developments? Do they tax the individuals who bought the units or the owners of the actually land that the units are on? If it is the land then we are losing money..

Since: Feb 09

Lunenburg

#33 Jun 28, 2010
??? i am pretty sure my taxes are for my land and my structures. there's no way i am paying almost 3800 for 1/2 acre max. therefore, the condo residents, both townhouse style and the garden style ones, should be paying taxes as well.
Lynch for State Senate

Harvard, MA

#34 Jun 28, 2010
My name is Kevin lynch and I am running for State Senate. Currently Jennifer Flanagan is holding this seat. I will be running as an Independant. I do not agree with either party; I am in the middle, I believe in what is fair and what is right.

I believe in less taxes and less social services. At the same time I believe that we can create more opportunities for employment! I believe that the more people working the more tax revenues and the less government spending needed.

During these tough times the government spends to stimulate an economy that is not! We need to hold big corporations accountable. Companies paying low wages while the CEOs are making million dollar bonuses and spending these bonuses into the economy of Dubai is not going to help us out!

So I don't expect heavy donations to my campaign from these heartless corporate CEOs whom know who they are! We need to pay people a workable wage. I say cut the taxes for corporations only if they give the equivalent savings in the way of pay raises and new employees.

We need to keep American treasures at home so that it can circulate and recirculate into our economy! Americans for Americans!!

I applaud these city workers as everyone should as they have made a tough concession here in the midst of a tough economy! When times get better do not forget these employees!!
Lynch for State Senate

Harvard, MA

#35 Jun 28, 2010
I am running for State Senate as a write in or sticker candidate. So please if you do not receive a sticker with my name and address on this sticker , Please remember to write it in and check the appropiate boxes on your ballot; Thank you. Respectfully, Kevin Lynch.

My name is Kevin Lynch, I am running as an independant candidate. My address is 48 Cedar st. Fitchburg,Ma.

I have notified the State of my intentions: here is there email [email protected] for verification.

I would appreciate any and all donations to my campaign which will be recorded and kept in my campaign account. As I mentioned I don't expect any big donations from the CEOs whom I mentioned so any donation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynch EPOCA Fraud 59 min Michelle DuBois 3
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) 1 hr Michelle DuBois 420
Leominster version of Lynch 13 hr Joe Lynch 5
Criminal Stalkers manipulating IP addresses (Jul '13) 19 hr Willy Wonka 70
Lynch for Mayor (Nov '11) 19 hr Captain Crunch 332
10 Data And Counting Mon Captain Crunch 7
Turtleboy sports will be having a new approach ... (Aug '16) Mar 24 Mhmyah 40

Fitchburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance