Lunenburg employees to pay more for t...

Lunenburg employees to pay more for their health-care coverage - Se...

There are 28 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jun 21, 2010, titled Lunenburg employees to pay more for their health-care coverage - Se.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Town employees have agreed to pay a slightly greater percentage of their health-insurance premiums, which should save the town and school district about $111,000 annually, according to Town Manager Kerry Speidel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
snookie

Leominster, MA

#1 Jun 21, 2010
Wow, they will now pay 22.5 percent instead of 20. What a great sacrifice they are willing to make. Town employees are just so wonderful!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2 Jun 21, 2010
The last time I paid only 20% was back in the eighties when companies used to pay for almost all your insurance...now we pay about 45%.

Since: Feb 09

Lunenburg

#4 Jun 21, 2010
if you are jealous, become a town worker. pretty easy. i am not, but my wife was a teacher in the past, and i say the biggest regret i have of her quitting was the loss of the insurance rate. my job wants 180/wk for family healthcare. at the time, she was paying 50/wk for family healthcare. at least the town workers agreed to an increase. they didn't HAVE to.
fix

Worcester, MA

#6 Jun 21, 2010
lets not fix the problem of every town overspending. Lets keep wasting $$ and keep shifting the cost to the taxpayers and employees!
Blind side

Lancaster, MA

#7 Jun 21, 2010
fix wrote:
lets not fix the problem of every town overspending. Lets keep wasting $$ and keep shifting the cost to the taxpayers and employees!
This is how the town takes care of their overspending. The low employee contribution rate has cost the town greatly in terms of health insurance. Most communities don't have those low percentages any more. If there is somewhere else out there that does, the employees should feel free to look elsewhere for work.
Let's see how many leave.
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

#8 Jun 21, 2010
Oh great, lets send more messages to corporate america that the burden of the Nations highly for proit "Desease Management System" costs should shift to the worker. Its the corporations and their political cronies that proit from this sytem, they should pick up the whole tab!!

Location hidden

#9 Jun 22, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
Oh great, lets send more messages to corporate america that the burden of the Nations highly for proit "Desease Management System" costs should shift to the worker. Its the corporations and their political cronies that proit from this sytem, they should pick up the whole tab!!
Did somebody request "Send in the Clowns"???
Big picture

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Jun 22, 2010
fix wrote:
Then let the employees party to the overspending speak up and point it out. It would only help themselves in the end. Those employees taking on more is saving the taxpayer.

Welcome to 2010. Only paying 23% seems like heaven to those of us paying much much more. Unhappy with your job - find something else. Good luck with that.
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

#13 Jun 22, 2010
Lunenburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Did somebody request "Send in the Clowns"???
No, plenty of clowns, court jesters and jugglers already here! Maybe a freak side show or two also!
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

#14 Jun 22, 2010
Big picture wrote:
<quoted text>
Then let the employees party to the overspending speak up and point it out. It would only help themselves in the end. Those employees taking on more is saving the taxpayer.
Welcome to 2010. Only paying 23% seems like heaven to those of us paying much much more. Unhappy with your job - find something else. Good luck with that.
Why should the teacherss take another beneits cut just because their are alot of people with a lot less talent out their who can't seem to ind a real job with real benifits.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 23, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
No, plenty of clowns, court jesters and jugglers already here! Maybe a freak side show or two also!
Careful when you talk about Obama that way he calls you to the Whitehouse....I guess you aren't a General though.
George

Marlborough, MA

#16 Jun 23, 2010
Holy Toledo, Lunenburg is still acting as if he has a job!
thx for the laugh

AOL

#17 Jun 23, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should the teacherss take another beneits cut just because their are alot of people with a lot less talent out their who can't seem to ind a real job with real benifits.
maybe if you put down the bottle as you type you'll hit all the right keys...sadly I don't expect you'll be any more lucid
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

#18 Jun 23, 2010
thx for the laugh wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe if you put down the bottle as you type you'll hit all the right keys...sadly I don't expect you'll be any more lucid
Actually it's the keyboard on this laptop. After a few drinks it all kinda self corrects.
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

#19 Jun 23, 2010
Lunenburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful when you talk about Obama that way he calls you to the Whitehouse....I guess you aren't a General though.
Now why doesn't Obama and Biden just go visit the General and actually see what its all about over their. If the General is doing a good job who cares about a few of the cuff comments. Bama sure slipped many a "acting stupidly" one liner.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#20 Jun 23, 2010
There is a portion of OBAMACARE, that has evidently escaped the notice of most - THE BREAUACRACY WILL ESTABLISH THE MINIMUM COVERAGE FOR ALL HEALTH INSURANCE PLANS. This means the end of all affordable, HIGH DEDUCTABLE MAJOR MEDICAL PLANS; the end of those affordable and very effective, MEDICARE SUPPLEMENTAL OR MEDIGAP POLICIES; the end of MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PLANS IS ALL BUT ASSURED. Employer Provided Insurance Plans will violate one or the other of this plans requirements, therefore, either the costs skyrocket and employee contributions rise 2 to4 times or the company simply drops the insurance benefit and pays the cheaper fines. Then, you can go out and try to find affordable insurance on your own, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SEE ALL OF THOSE $1,200 TO $1,500 PER MONTH PLANS.

The only winners here are the people on Medicaid. Those on Medicaid are Obama's constituency - you know, the welfare class, the illegals, the "poor", etc., etc. Of course, the Unions and Public Employees will be treated differently.

Are ya gettin the picture? If ya wanna thrive in this country in the future, ya better join a Union or go to work for the Regime. What ya say, who's gonna pay for all of this "stuff", hey don't sweat it, it's just Government Money dontcha know! We'll just keep taxing those rich bstards - they gotta lot of money.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#21 Jun 23, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
Now why doesn't Obama and Biden just go visit the General and actually see what its all about over their. If the General is doing a good job who cares about a few of the cuff comments. Bama sure slipped many a "acting stupidly" one liner.
How ironic that "General Betray Us." as Obama's pals in Moveon.Org called him, is coming to Obama's rescue.
Big picture

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Jun 23, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
I took Blogenburg as sarcasm and thought it funny - but apparently it wasn't meant to be that way... Eesh! Hope it's not a teacher...

Thanks to All employees of the town for doing their part in helping during these times.

There is no longer such a thing as a dream job... Blog - this is not your father or grandfather's world with protection and guaranteed pensions. Most are not feeling entitled to anything.... Work hard and most people understand the times and adapt - and do what they can to help wherever they can.
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

#23 Jun 24, 2010
Big picture wrote:
<quoted text>
I took Blogenburg as sarcasm and thought it funny - but apparently it wasn't meant to be that way... Eesh! Hope it's not a teacher...
Thanks to All employees of the town for doing their part in helping during these times.
There is no longer such a thing as a dream job... Blog - this is not your father or grandfather's world with protection and guaranteed pensions. Most are not feeling entitled to anything.... Work hard and most people understand the times and adapt - and do what they can to help wherever they can.
No I'm not a teacher or a union member. The teachers took health cuts already and put hundreds of thousands back into the budget. Now its time to stop spending in this town. How do you justiy 1M for a truck barn in this economy. This Town just does not get it. Why are the teachers funding a truck barn???
call BS

AOL

#24 Jun 24, 2010
Blogenburgian wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not a teacher or a union member. The teachers took health cuts already and put hundreds of thousands back into the budget. Now its time to stop spending in this town. How do you justiy 1M for a truck barn in this economy. This Town just does not get it. Why are the teachers funding a truck barn???
Sorry but the teachers are not funding a truck barn, the taxpayers are. The same taxpayers that deserve a return on their taxes in services beyond education. Improving operating efficiencies and extending equipment life is an investment. Or we cam return to the "just say no" approach you seek and ignore needs and let them pile up-you know, that high debt we are now paying off for projects that should have been spread over 3 decades instead.

And its not just the teachers, its every town employee impacted.
Not sure what % you pay toward your health insurance, but getting public employees to 25% next year will get them closer to what the tax paying private sector contributes. Its actually very fair and I appreciate them accelerating the process and taking 1/2 the increase this year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynch will soon be Banned from Discussing Fitch... 41 min BillyBob 3
Kevin Lynch contaminating Discussing Fitchburg 15 hr John lynch 21
Kevin Lynch, Lying and Crazy. As Usual 15 hr Larry Looney 2
Why we like Kevin Lynch SOMUCH Thu Green jeans 2
Lynch is Fighting on Discussing Fitchburg again Thu Green jeans 10
Racismatitsbest Wed Green jeans 5
Kevin Lynch and Making Up Facts Aug 26 Green jeans 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages