Judge upholds housing decision - Sentinel & Enterprise

Worcester Superior Court Judge John McCann recently upheld a decision by the state Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development's Housing Appeals Committee to issue a comprehensive permit for 136 condominiums under the affordable housing guidelines. Full Story
Lunenburg resident

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jan 27, 2011
Good for the Brogna family.

I hope the next step is to countersue the town for legal expenses for dragging this out thru the courts over the past two years.
More Perceptive

Leominster, MA

#2 Jan 27, 2011
You can bet on it!! The Brogna family are good people who ALWAYS help out their community,schools, and neighbors. The town of Lunenburg has treated these longtime residents like dirt and I'm glad they will see their day in court.
It goes to show you that these town cronies and cliques never win in the end. It's nice to see good people who do the right thing finally win for a change!
Lunenburg resident wrote:
I hope the next step is to countersue the town for legal expenses for dragging this out thru the courts over the past two years.
Sick of mediocre

Leominster, MA

#3 Jan 27, 2011
Lunenburg resident wrote:
Why isn't the sentinel exposing that the town has spent 100's of thousands of dollars of taxpayers dollars to fight this family, when the town knew all along that they would lose in court anyway? The chairman of the ZBA even bragged "I don't care, it's not my money." This was a very crooked case that the town swept under the rug. From what I understand,it's also not the only one.
Meanwhile, this family volunteers their time and resources to helping the town and Lunenburg schools,knowing full well that this town is working against them,but leading by example of what good citizenship is. I'm glad to see that taking the high road pays off. Wait until the lawsuits start flying! Then the taxpayers will really see how their "beloved' boards are really working for them. It certainly isn't in the best interest of the residents, that's for sure!
yup

Clinton, MA

#4 Jan 27, 2011
Yup, stuffing 136 more condos around Whalom is just great for the town.
Yup, pulling a fast one subdividing an abutting property illegally to get sewer access, that wasn't sketchy at all.
Yup, ZBA Chair said it wasn't his money-of course he was talking about the developer's attorney costs, but why be truthful about anything you post.
Yup, hundreds of thousands spent on this one case. sure, that must be true. Oh wait, it's not.
Yup, the town is crooked, not the engineer/developer that made such a mess of this development.
Yup, 2 other 40B's negotiated and approved with concessions to lesson the impact on the area with no fan fare by the same ZBA-why did this one get so difficult? But yeah, lets blame the board.
I guess if they just let the developer totally destroy that neighborhood they'd fit your model of fairness.
I'm glad the ZBA isn't whoring for the developers and trying to protect some semblance of the town.
Sick of mediocre

Leominster, MA

#5 Jan 27, 2011
Yup
I'm sure if what you say is true, the judges in Superior court couldn't see right through it. The courts slapped down the town because the truth was quite evident.
Go ahead and post your untruths..if that makes you feel better. Justice was done and the crooked side lost. It sounds like someone on the board is a sore loser. Boo hoo for you.
Lunenburg resident

AOL

#6 Jan 27, 2011
I hope they're not going to spend anymore of my tax dollars on this witch hunt. It's time to move on, they won fair and square, enough. We need to spend our money where it's needed, not throw it away.
No Clue

Leominster, MA

#7 Jan 28, 2011
It was great to see Hollis Hills had won again. If they don't sue for damages I will be shocked. The town of Lunenburg Has spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money (yes taxpayers money, in rebuttal to YEP) as did the developer. Don't you recall the town of lunenburg asking the taxpayers for fifty five thousand of your money to fight Hollis Hills at the town meeting. I do I was there. Also the townspeople have no idea how many consessions were made to the town during the permitting process. All consessions the town asked for were made. All yo people know is what you read in the local papers which is about the towns view only, not the law. By the way Hollis Hills recieved their State of Ma permit long before Whalom Park and the Tri town 40 R Ghetto OH sorry low income Housing and Mr. Lordens 40 B---Yes 40 B. So I guess if anyone is adding to the congested housing it is thoes developments not Hollis Hills!! Good for them.
yup

Clinton, MA

#8 Jan 28, 2011
No Clue wrote:
It was great to see Hollis Hills had won again. If they don't sue for damages I will be shocked. The town of Lunenburg Has spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money (yes taxpayers money, in rebuttal to YEP) as did the developer. Don't you recall the town of lunenburg asking the taxpayers for fifty five thousand of your money to fight Hollis Hills at the town meeting. I do I was there. Also the townspeople have no idea how many consessions were made to the town during the permitting process. All consessions the town asked for were made. All yo people know is what you read in the local papers which is about the towns view only, not the law. By the way Hollis Hills recieved their State of Ma permit long before Whalom Park and the Tri town 40 R Ghetto OH sorry low income Housing and Mr. Lordens 40 B---Yes 40 B. So I guess if anyone is adding to the congested housing it is thoes developments not Hollis Hills!! Good for them.
you claim there was a town meeting vote to spend money to fight hollis hills?
If that's correct, then the taxpayers must have voted to support the effort.
Last I checked, either side can win in court-there are no guarantees, right?
Demonizing a board for trying to protect the town and that neighborhood is ridiculous.
Dress it up anyway you want-this deal was shady from the get go and your efforts here are just a continuation of the same.
Heck-the delay probably saved the family and developers not only hundreds of thousands but from bankruptcy in this economy if they had built out. They should be thanking the ZBA for saving them from themselves.
Funny you attack other developers and developments-are you the only property owners in town to have property rights? Hypocrite.
Lunenburg resident

Gardner, MA

#9 Jan 28, 2011
They won, don't waste anymore of my money. Fund the police department and fire department
excellent choice

Ashburnham, MA

#10 Jan 28, 2011
The party's over Lunenburg. They won because you never had a case. Only frivilous claims to stall as long as possible, all along wasting the taxpayer dollars.
Maybe the residents should sue you too, for gross negligence of public funds.
Its done

AOL

#11 Jan 28, 2011
The town better not appeal again, the will be a revolt!!!
concerned citizen

Leominster, MA

#12 Jan 28, 2011
Its done wrote:
The town better not appeal again, the will be a revolt!!!
This is exactly why more open meetings are important. These town boards make stupid decisions in the interest of their own little cliques, all on the taxpayers dime and behind closed doors.The one meeting a month that they propose to broadcast is staged. All of the residents of Lunenburg need to pay much closer attention to how our money is being spent or wasted. We need to hold these peoples on boards personally responsible.
Once a few of them start losing their homes in lawsuits, maybe the rest of them will wake up and/or get out. This town needs honest representation. not crooked cronies working in the interest of their own personal cliques in town!
Time for some hard questions to be asked of these so called sorry excuses for town officials. STOP WASTING OUR MONEY!!!!!
Hollis Road Resident

Roslindale, MA

#13 Sep 6, 2012
We the people to it to court. We would have won if the ZBA present the facts and not the case that we do not want to lose our small town feel. They are only building a 40b to avoid zoning laws, i.e. wet lands, size of property, etc. Had the issue with the behind close doors sewer deal, the highway safety issue with Hollis Road being to narrow to support all the extra traffic,etc, etc, etc. So we the people to it to court.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rabies clinic Saturday in Fitchburg 21 min Puddles 1
Fire hits Fitchburg strip mall; firefighter res... 53 min BillyBob 11
Rahmberg-Walsh joins school board 13 hr Jtn 2
names of drug dealers in fitchburg (May '13) 17 hr guest123 31
Kevin Lynch gets a job! 20 hr conspirty theorist 3
GoLocalWorcester | News | Fitchburg Police Offi... Wed Private Investigater 101
Mr greenjeans Wed Jtn 5

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match