Bill on double-dipping headed back to table

Posted in the Fitchburg Forum

Fitchburg AP

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jul 6, 2012
Bill on double-dipping headed back to table
By John Zaremba
Friday, July 6, 2012 - Updated 18 hours ago

E-mail Print (8) Comments Text size Share Gov. Deval Patrick’s bill to stop public retirees from padding their pensions with jobless pay will be back on the table next week, when the lawmakers whose committee is considering the proposal meet to discuss it and other stalled legislation.

Sen. William Brownsberger and Rep. John Scibak plan to meet next week to discuss pending matters before the Legislature’s Committee on Public Service, which held a hearing on Patrick’s bill in April.

“I hope we’ll do something broader and stronger,” Brownsberger said.

Scibak said:“Ideally, it’s an issue that has to be addressed. I’d like to have it addressed one time and one time only, as opposed to doing something and saying we should be doing something more.”

Patrick filed the bill in March and created a special panel to reform unemployment-pay laws after a series of Herald reports and a desperate plea for help written by Lynnfield’s town administrator.

The reports and the letter were centered on the case of Hartley Boudreau, a retired Lynnfield cop who worked paid details, then filed for unemployment — and won — after reaching the income cap set in his pension. A labor department official upheld Boud-reau’s claim last week.

-— john.zaremba@bostonherald.com
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Jul 7, 2012
Is this happening in Fitchburg? This after the Sheriff was found to have been collecting a full pension and a full salary for the same job ?

In Fitchburg, the Mayor significantly increases the salary of our fire Chief before he retires.

I support our Fire Chief as the FFD has a very well trained department. But in economic tough times such a serious increase is not financially responsible.

And why is the Sentinel so pro Wong? I understand that the editor was Wongs neighbor in Lowell but come on now! I feel that the newspaper should be acting as a checks and balances on city government and not their unwaivering bias supportors! Can the Sentinel PLEASE put aside their bias and begin to investigate local government contracts ect??

Question

Athens, ME

#3 Jul 7, 2012
Lynch should be investigated. Very checkered past. How can we be sure he's not up to his old shenanigans?

Leopards can't change their spots.
Donny Brook

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Jul 8, 2012
Lynch wrote:
Is this happening in Fitchburg? This after the Sheriff was found to have been collecting a full pension and a full salary for the same job ?
In Fitchburg, the Mayor significantly increases the salary of our fire Chief before he retires.
I support our Fire Chief as the FFD has a very well trained department. But in economic tough times such a serious increase is not financially responsible.
And why is the Sentinel so pro Wong? I understand that the editor was Wongs neighbor in Lowell but come on now! I feel that the newspaper should be acting as a checks and balances on city government and not their unwaivering bias supportors! Can the Sentinel PLEASE put aside their bias and begin to investigate local government contracts ect??
Unlike you collecting disability checks and food stamps while working under the table for Andy, this is all apparently legal and being addressed through legislation. Maybe you should consider focusing your attention on disability and food stamp fraud?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 7 hr Peaches 67
5 finalist for Chief of Fitchburg ,Ma. 12 hr Jtn 32
Current Fitchburg 12 hr Jtn 6
Family mourns loss of young mother devoted to b... (Jul '09) Sun Kevin Lynch 41
Fitchburg's arts at center of roundtable Sun Tammy 2
Fattman cries foul over defaced signs Sun Kevin Lynch 6
Habitat to hold application meetings Oct 18 Be careful 1

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match