Councilors rip Wong's reorganization plan - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

City councilors used terms like "shell game" and "sham" at Tuesday night's meeting to describe Mayor Lisa Wong's proposed reorganization of city departments.
Comments
1 - 20 of 36 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
really

Bronx, NY

#1 Jun 2, 2010
Lets be honest this is all a shell game and the council is in on it
Fredric K Fortin

Ionia, MI

#2 Jun 2, 2010
Congradulations, you now live in the village of Wong! I am glad you live there and I donot.
Voter

Bedford, MA

#3 Jun 2, 2010
Wong being evasive when asked pointed questions regarding finances? Shocked, shocked I say!!!!!
city resident

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Jun 2, 2010
The only person who asked a a reasonable question was Hay. The rest are showing their lack of constructive ability to get anything done. The council is in sad, sad shape.
Gina

AOL

#5 Jun 2, 2010
Fredric K Fortin wrote:
Congradulations, you now live in the village of Wong! I am glad you live there and I donot.
They why do you care?
Blueboy

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Jun 2, 2010
I'm with Hay. How much do we save?? If the Mayor can't answer that question then VOTE IT DOWN..End of story.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#8 Jun 2, 2010
As usuall wong is wrong...
Get all your information together and anticipate questions such as how much when and the benifits of said options. Wong you would never make it in the real world fired you would be.
WONG=WRONG

She is trying a shell game to make sure that everyones attention is away from the RAISES her and friends would like. It is NOT working!! NO raises.
resident

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Jun 2, 2010
Marcus asked her a question that would have been a "yes" or "no" answer and she answered it "yes and no". She has all her bases covered. She is a TRUE politician.
casey

Windham, NH

#10 Jun 2, 2010
Well, our Mayor is learning that changing the "system" is tougher than it may appear. Especially when you have a "good 'ol boy" network that will resist any effort to change business as usual. this city has been in a downward trajectory for 20 years through failed leadership and stale thinking. I stand with the Mayor. Sometimes you have to rock the boat in order to make waves. Keep going Lisa. The trajectory is not going to change unless it is forced to change.
burg

Quincy, MA

#11 Jun 2, 2010
how can she not have any numbers on what she would be saving? by cutting jobs and adding the same number of positions in a different dept.? answer is simple....there is no saving. this is just her way to restructure the depts. hey if it works some how then why not? but to not have data supporting her savings? something is off...
Excallaber

Waltham, MA

#12 Jun 2, 2010
Wongs wrong, so let me get this straight they brought this to the table and didnt know the finanical details WoW thats the kind of CEO I want, no ducks in line, I see her throwing away grant money left and right free money like the airport grant money, I wonder if we can take back the position for incompantacy. But she lined her pockets with a raise this year. I want a Job were I can run it into the ground and get a good salary too its seems to be the coorporate norm these days I have sided with the mayor alot becouse she has inherited this problem but this problem is still lingering and only getting worse how about some real people real community action like volonteer help at these places some fundraising grass roots community get togethers to bring the city back,
DFC

Norwood, MA

#13 Jun 2, 2010
This is what happens when you elect a kid Mayor! She did have a great sell. She should have been a used car sales person.
In the years that I have lived here I have never seen one person bring a city down too the gettos so fast. Maybe we should flash the Bat signal so Bat Man can come and save us, and send this kid Mayor back to preschool.
Curious

Maynard, MA

#14 Jun 2, 2010
There is something more to this story! You don't lay three people off then hire three people!

This is a cover up for something that people are not stating!

If there are reasons to fire someone;fire them! If you are getting rid of these three people because you don't agree with them or they crossed you then you need to go!

If the Mayor play a power role here then she needs to resign! You don't lay three people off and hire three people even if you save $45,000 total!

This is not reorganization unless she has an extremely strong case for efficiency! If she can prove her case then it is what it is! If I were to guess,I would say that the savings is roughly $45,000!

Unless the three that are being let go make over $70,000 a piece. Where can we find a listing of salaries?? Why are they so tough to find?
Fitchburg was a DUMP

Maynard, MA

#15 Jun 2, 2010
DFC wrote:
This is what happens when you elect a kid Mayor! She did have a great sell. She should have been a used car sales person.
In the years that I have lived here I have never seen one person bring a city down too the gettos so fast. Maybe we should flash the Bat signal so Bat Man can come and save us, and send this kid Mayor back to preschool.
You are a fool! How can you state this lie?? Where have you lived for years? Fitchburg hasn't had an operational anything in 20 years!!! You lie! Fitchburg just bought a new street cleaner; the streets haven't been sweeped before this in atleast 8 years!!

There was trash everywhere that is now gone! The parks are all cleaned up where they were broken down and drug ridden. Heroin dealers ran Fitchburg for years! The cops allowed this to take place!

Mylott,Kearns and the entire city council ruined Fitchburg!!! This Mayor cut lights and saved thousands! She has eliminated do nothing positions! Do you even remember bond rating problems with Fitchburg during good times state wide? The entire state was doing good and Fitchburg was a complete dump with an over stuffed inept police force!

They arrest more criminals now than they did with 30 more employees! She fired the building Inspector and stores open in Fitchburg!This city council and Kearnsd ran Fitchburg into the toilet!

Kearns should of been fired years ago!!!Dinatale has been around for years as Unitil sc.r.ew.ed everyone! Now he is a big voice against them? They did nothing to control this city from running into ruins.

What happened to the $43,000 plus that was stolen from the city treasury? No answers and a city council that has refused to attach the estate of the person they were pointing the finger at; or was it a case of "BLAME THE DEAD GUY?"
So Sad

Santa Clara, CA

#16 Jun 2, 2010
Fitchburg was a DUMP wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a fool! How can you state this lie?? Where have you lived for years? Fitchburg hasn't had an operational anything in 20 years!!! You lie! Fitchburg just bought a new street cleaner; the streets haven't been sweeped before this in atleast 8 years!!
There was trash everywhere that is now gone! The parks are all cleaned up where they were broken down and drug ridden. Heroin dealers ran Fitchburg for years! The cops allowed this to take place!
Mylott,Kearns and the entire city council ruined Fitchburg!!! This Mayor cut lights and saved thousands! She has eliminated do nothing positions! Do you even remember bond rating problems with Fitchburg during good times state wide? The entire state was doing good and Fitchburg was a complete dump with an over stuffed inept police force!
They arrest more criminals now than they did with 30 more employees! She fired the building Inspector and stores open in Fitchburg!This city council and Kearnsd ran Fitchburg into the toilet!
Kearns should of been fired years ago!!!Dinatale has been around for years as Unitil sc.r.ew.ed everyone! Now he is a big voice against them? They did nothing to control this city from running into ruins.
What happened to the $43,000 plus that was stolen from the city treasury? No answers and a city council that has refused to attach the estate of the person they were pointing the finger at; or was it a case of "BLAME THE DEAD GUY?"
Can you explain to me who Kearns is, and how he ran Fitchburg into the toilet?
old timer

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Jun 3, 2010
Really, let's be honest. The mayor is trying to hire more qualified people by getting rid of three deadbeats in political jobs who have put themselves first and or are loyal to individual politicians, rather the to the citizens and taxpayers --- and that is why the City Council is against this plan.
Excallaber

Waltham, MA

#18 Jun 3, 2010
I agree the Cops let things get out of controll in the first place, and also the city counil has been anti business for years and thats why we are in the situation years of negative actions ran them selves into the ground, and yes there was a lot of trash about the city an ungodley amount in the spring wich has gotton cleaned up, and there needs to be a lot of house cleaning becouse there is lazy and curropt cops in town, anint nobody got a better answer to unitill than me and those councel people never gave me the courtisy to email me back about it her it is every one has the dream of putting Unitill out but no one has a real tool to do it like ive been stating for years now this is what you do and this is the only way that it will actuall be acomplished
You get every one to hold atleast 80percent of their bill in the winter months and by spring they will be forced into bankrupsy in the winter becouse by law they cant shut off electricty and 80 percent so you can pay 20 and it wont effect your credit, but you need all the right people to promote this and people arnot smart enough and got the cohonas right now except me to do this

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#19 Jun 3, 2010
Fitchburg was a DUMP wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know where in Fitchburg that you live but street clean is done every year. I do not know where you life but the gang bangers and thugs and drugies still DO run fitchburg. Parks, You really do have to get your head out of your bum...it is people who Volunteer for communtity clean ups (not the mayor or her followers) This town still has a crappy bond rating, look it up. Realy you must do your research and live in the real Fitchburg. You forgot to mention school layoffs police layoffs fire lay offs but the raise for her followers. Please.... dig your head out.
The New Fitchburg

Maynard, MA

#20 Jun 3, 2010
Zimmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know where in Fitchburg that you live but street clean is done every year. I do not know where you life but the gang bangers and thugs and drugies still DO run fitchburg. Parks, You really do have to get your head out of your bum...it is people who Volunteer for communtity clean ups (not the mayor or her followers) This town still has a crappy bond rating, look it up. Realy you must do your research and live in the real Fitchburg. You forgot to mention school layoffs police layoffs fire lay offs but the raise for her followers. Please.... dig your head out.
Zimmer , you are completely wrong! Volunteers that participate in city cleanups is always welcome and appreciated. That being said, the citizens of Fitchburg have been taking care of their property better. The street cleaners did not clean the streets around the college area for years. And there are many other streets in Fitchburg that street cleaners have never gone down. The streets that everyone in Fitchburg notices gets sweeped every year are the "connected" throughout Fitchburg! Obviously Zimmer you live in a connected area!

There was over $43,000 stolen and the council didn't attempt to recover, why? The layoffs are needed! Unfortunately those who get laid off ARE COMPETENT POLICE because the union protects all the do nothing, out of shape cops and the city gets stuck with this group! Layoffs should be done by merit! Anything short of merit is inept and incompetent management!

A brand new street cleaner was purchased! The clean up after the ice storm was superior!! The parks are very nice and a lot of people utilize them! Zimmer, you need to get out more!

The area is much safer today than it was six years ago! The new police Chief is doing a great job! Constant effort needs to be made against crack dealers! The community needs to participate more. There are trends setting for more participation.

As I mentioned the neighborhood cleanup is great but don't disregard those of us whom clean Fitchburg up outside of these organized volunteer cleanups.

Our schools need to be addressed in a constructive way; money thrown at them doesn't help. We need accountability and a plan! St. Bernards is a regional leader in education! Uniforms for public schools should be mandated now!

Zimmer you need to get out of your shell and stop supporting "business as usual" and "the good ole boy network". It is time to move past the old Fitchburg; don't stay stuck in the mud!!
The New Fitchburg

Maynard, MA

#21 Jun 3, 2010
Zimmer wrote:
<quoted text>
The bond rating was horrible before Mayor Wong. She has kept the budget tight but balanced!

The past FPD behind Kearns was nothing short of deplorable!!! He stunk the house up! Tasca repeated "all the administartion in the FPD has taken this self kept comp for years"!

I have issues with the Mayor but you are not true with yourself if you do not compliment her and support her when she is vying for the best for Fitchburg! The council needs to join with her to better Fitchburg.

There is no room for bettering if the "good ole boy network" continues to disrespect Fitchburg! These guys have hurt Fitchburg for years and Yes a lot are cops,ex-cops and politicians!

There is no Vision for a stable long term! Fitchburg needs to change its image into being more positive! I notice a lot of Positive change in Fitchburg!

Fitchburg has a lot of potential; if you don't think so maybe you need to move out to Newton or Wellsley!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Fitchburg, MA 1 hr Karen 45
Has Jtn ruined Topix? 2 hr Karen 4
0142 corruption in the courts and P.D. 6 hr dumbass 13
Numbers of homeless increase in region Sat But 6
Thief grabs cash box at Leominster farm stand Sat Tim 4
Man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend - Sen... (Sep '09) Aug 29 Karen 67
McKay hosting family barbecue Aug 28 Karen 2
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••