Bad Judgement

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2012

Have any of you ever seen Chris Rock doing stand up? Now that's a racist.
Bad Judgement

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Wow wrote:
I wonder if he would call Big Papi or Manny a monday?
Nope because they don't suck like Crawford does.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Professor: Social media can fuel spread of racial slurs, hate speech
Sentinel & Enterprisesenlandenterprise.com
Posted: 07/22/2012 06:37:59 AM EDT

By Jack Minch

jminch@sentinelandenterprise.c om @JackMinch on Twitter

LEOMINSTER -- Professors and commentators say turning a simple word into an insult or racial slur is easy in this age of electronic communication and social anger.

Just type a word and assign it a meaning. If a subgroup of people likes the connotation, it will spread through the Internet, social media and television.

"In the present age, it's the power of the Internet," said Fitchburg State University English Professor Michael Hoberman. "Things just circulate so quickly, so if a comedian says something and only a small number of people are watching it, if it strikes a chord it's going to get around quickly."

It can also be argued that written word is more powerful than ever because so many members of Generation Text are accustomed to communicating through keyboards, he said.

Mayor Dean Mazzarella announced last week that a police investigation led by Police Chief Robert J. Healey and lieutenants Scott Bernier and Michael Goldman concluded officer John Perreault hurled a new racial slur -- "Monday" -- toward Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford during a minor league baseball game in Manchester, N.H., July 5.

The word has multiple meanings according to UrbanDictionary.com , but Crawford's reaction to the word indicated he understood it as a slur, Healey and Mazzarella said.

Perreault is scheduled for a disciplinary hearing at the Leominster Office of Emergency Management on Wednesday morning.

Slurs are not used in acceptable conversation but their meanings do not go away because they are based on historical context, Hoberman said.

Race plays an important role in American history and slurs will not go away until Americans are attentive to history and are frank about it, Hoberman said.

"The reason the baseball player picked up on the slur and maybe the reason Perreault used it is because these are things we are not supposed to think about but still do," he said.

UMass Lowell English Professor Keith Mitchell said it is easy for a group of people to take an insult and disguise it so they can continue to insult others through subterfuge.

"To use Monday as a metaphor for the n-word, a substitution for the n-word, it's an easy way to take an innocuous word and make it an epithet," he said.

Even beyond that that hated word, "Monday" can be used to insult black people by just comparing them to the first day of the work or school week on which many people feel lazy and unmotivated, Mitchell said.

Mitchell is black and had not heard of using Monday as an insult before news broke of Perreault's alleged verbal assault on Crawford.

He then learned the word was used as part of comedian Russell Peters' act, in which he explained how it can be used as an insult.

Peters, in his act, said he learned about the word in Boston.(He did not respond to a request through his agent to comment on this story.)

"It just sort of caught on with people who wanted to use it as a racial slur, decided to appropriate it so they could call them the n-word without actually using the n-word and being called racist," Mitchell said.

It reminded him of comedian Dave Chapelle's edgy work in which he tried to educate people about racism and stereotyping.

There is a fine line between parody or satirical work and being serious, Mitchell said.

There has been speculation that people did not understand Chapelle's work so his show was taken off the air.

"When you are trying to make cutting edge comedic jokes, especially when it comes to race, it's a very difficult to walk that fine line because you don't know how your audience will take it," Mitchell said.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Mitchell said people are protected by the First Amendment to use "Monday" as a slur, but they should expect to be challenged.

He also expects the word to be used more often as a slur now that it has gained such widespread publicity through the Crawford incident.

"When the story gets out and it gets bigger, the gentleman goes on trial or gets fired, it will be bigger," Mitchell said. "It certainly has legs."

Former NECN sportscaster and talk show host Jimmy Young, the founder of Young Broadcasters of America, is teaching public school students in Roxbury this summer and brought in a Lawrence hip hop performer who uses the n-word in his lyrics.

"His explanation was the more you hear it, the less it will offend people," Young said. "My feeling is if we don't use the word ever it will disappear so you don't ever hear it."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

They should hold this hearing next Monday instead of this Wednesday. It could go something like this;
Good morning Mr. Perreault, we understand you don't like Monday's, is this true or false.
Lay Z

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Certain black leaders have been calling calender companies to have Monday changed to Gocommitacrimeday. Unfortunately these racist people who own the companies keep saying no we have Used the day Monday for years!
Lay Z

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know where this Honkey white azz cracker gets off saying da mord Monday at a baseball game. It's insulting.
Big Dog

North Andover, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

Lay Z wrote:
I don't know where this Honkey white azz cracker gets off saying da mord Monday at a baseball game. It's insulting.
I am white and take offense to "Honkey" and "White Ass" give me a break....
What is going to sink Off. Perreault is his Facebook entries. This entire thing
was blown out of proportion.
Pats Fan

Claremont, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

What will become of Monday Night Football?

And I always liked that song, "I don't like Mondays.
What

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

Judged:

How low can you go? Today in front of a mostly black audience Biden said Romney wants to put you back in chains. Just how stupid can this man be?
Really

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

Judged:

What wrote:
How low can you go? Today in front of a mostly black audience Biden said Romney wants to put you back in chains. Just how stupid can this man be?
He was using a quote the Republicans use frequently. To take it as a slavery reference would be to take it out of context. Calm down. You needn't get angry on someone's behalf if they are not offended.
What

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
He was using a quote the Republicans use frequently. To take it as a slavery reference would be to take it out of context. Calm down. You needn't get angry on someone's behalf if they are not offended.
I'm sorry but Joe is infamous for making off handed insulting comments. America can do better than this.
Really

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

Judged:

What wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry but Joe is infamous for making off handed insulting comments. America can do better than this.
No, not quite right. Biden is known for making off-color (not racial) remarks when he thinks the mike is off. Off-handed, yes. Insulting, no. Calm down.
American

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

I guess Mr. What would prefer a presidential candidate that is known for insulting foreign citizens, like say the English. Yes, Romney did such a fine job traveling the world making insults everywhere he went. Nice job. Sorry, will not vote for someone who doesn't possess the basic skill of thinking before speaking. He sure has money but unfortunately he is lacking class.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

American wrote:
I guess Mr. What would prefer a presidential candidate that is known for insulting foreign citizens, like say the English. Yes, Romney did such a fine job traveling the world making insults everywhere he went. Nice job. Sorry, will not vote for someone who doesn't possess the basic skill of thinking before speaking. He sure has money but unfortunately he is lacking class.
Please stop insulting this country by using the name American. NO true American would prefer a President who is a known and "proven" bald face LIAR.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Looks like someone is having a very difficult time accepting the truth!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Wrong Again

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not quite right. Biden is known for making off-color (not racial) remarks when he thinks the mike is off. Off-handed, yes. Insulting, no. Calm down.
Survey says...

You're a partisan idiot.

You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking." --Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." –Joe Biden, referring to Barack Obama at the beginning of the 2008 Democratic primary campaign, Jan. 31, 2007

During a serious speech about outsourcing in Rochester, New Hampshire, Biden broke out his Indian accent, although media outlets have since speculated that it might be Russian. He tried to stop mid-sentence, but it was too late.
Really

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Wrong Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Survey says...
You're a partisan idiot.
You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking." --Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." –Joe Biden, referring to Barack Obama at the beginning of the 2008 Democratic primary campaign, Jan. 31, 2007
During a serious speech about outsourcing in Rochester, New Hampshire, Biden broke out his Indian accent, although media outlets have since speculated that it might be Russian. He tried to stop mid-sentence, but it was too late.
So noted. Mea culpa.
Wrong Again

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

And you caould have saved yourself the time of posting your idiotic statment if only you had spent all of 10 seconds Googling "Biden Gaffes".

You partisan sheep are a fun bunch. While you stay lock-step with what your dear leaders say the rest of us are pointing and laughing.
What

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Thanks to those who see Biden the way I do. For a little while I thought I must be living in Omerica.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of44
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Fitchburg Forum right now

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Harrassing of me has timely stopped 47 min HLynch 49
Harassing of me has timely started all over again 2 hr Lunches clone 5
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) 2 hr Lon Spector 4,672
Body found by highway is missing Massachusetts boy 6 hr berrypt 22
Different takes on Easter reinforce same message 14 hr Peter 1
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 21 hr Curley Queen 1,135
Child's dad distraught over news 23 hr Jtn 1
•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE