"Monday" seen as a derogatory term for black people

Posted in the Fitchburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Cracker

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jul 19, 2012
LEOMINSTER -- Mayor Dean Mazzarella on Wednesday issued an apology to Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford and to the community at large as he announced that an investigation concluded a Leominster police officer hurled a racial slur at Crawford during a minor-league game this month.

Officer John A. Perreault has been placed on paid administrative leave pending a disciplinary hearing next Wednesday, Mazzarella and interim Police Chief Robert Healey said. Potential punishment could include his firing, the mayor said.

"We apologize not only to the baseball player (and) his family, but the community,"Mazzarella said. "This shouldn't happen anywhere." He later noted that Crawford's response to the insult was most important.

"All you have to see is Mr. Crawford's reaction," Mazzarella said. "It meant something to him."

The word Perreault used, "Monday," is seen as a derogatory term for black people.

Perreault, who did not attend the press conference, has made other unrelated comments in public recently that also violate the Police Department's rules and regulations, Healey said.

Mazzarella said he was dismayed at the allegation but believes the department's reputation will withstand the blemish.

The city hires employees under Civil Service rules that require a disciplinary hearing for punishments over five days.
The punishment has not been decided, Healey said.

"In fairness, we will let him have his say," he said.

Mazzarella will preside over the hearing, which could include witnesses, and whatever ruling he makes can be appealed.

"There is a whole system in place," Healey said.

Crawford has not been invited to attend the hearing, which is open to the public.

Crawford, in an interview reported on WEEI radio Wednesday, said he is ready to move on from the incident.

"It surprised me that he was a police officer," Crawford said. "It's disappointing and all of that kind of stuff, but like I said, I just want to put that stuff behind me and not even worry about that anymore."
It is too early to say if Perreault's work as a police officer would be affected if he must arrest a minority or answer a call for help involving a minority, Mazzarella said.
"Look at all the Hollywood people that say stupid things and people later forgive them," he said. "People do stupid things."

Perreault, 38, has worked for the department about five years. He previously worked for other departments including Winchendon, Mazzarella said.

Perreault has had a clean record with the department up to now.

Red Sox spokeswoman Pam Ganley said the team would not comment on the department's findings.

Three of Perreault's nieces stood outside the press conference at the Leominster Office of Emergency Management in a sign of support before the announcement was made.

Perreault's nieces, who are Dominican, insisted he did not mean the word "Monday" as a slur when he yelled it out.

It was meant in reference to the day of the week that everyone hates because they have to go back to work or school, said Cassandra Mateo, 20, of Lawrence.

Cracker

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Jul 19, 2012
The three women wore T-shirts and carried a sign covered with messages, including, "You might be able to bash him, but you'll never take his pride!" and "Monday is the first day of the week."

Healey got a tip July 9 that Perreault was involved in an incident in Manchester, N.H., where Crawford was playing a rehabilitation game with the Red Sox Double-A affiliate Portland Sea Dogs against the Toronto Blue Jays' minor league team New Hampshire Fisher Cats on July 5.

He opened an investigation with Lts. Michael Goldman and Scott Bernier.

They did not speak to Crawford or Manchester police officers who investigated, but did get a copy of the original police report, Healey said.

The investigators uncovered some evidence on their own and some of it was offered by witnesses, he said.

They have talked to officials in the Red Sox organization as a courtesy to brief them on the investigation and its conclusion, Mazzarella said.
http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/topstory...
Cracker

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Jul 19, 2012
This is ridiculous. I have never heard such a thing. So what is Tuesday used for? So how come when a black person calls another black person the "N" word it's OK? Rap music is riddled with the "N" word. And why is it
ok when a black person calls a white person "cracker"? This has all become so ridiculous. Let's use Tuesday's for the word "cracker" and call it even.. How foolish! Hey! does using the word fag make someone a bigot? Lets just use Wednesday now for that word.
Just Facts

Southborough, MA

#4 Jul 19, 2012
Political Correctness will make it impossible for us to communicate before too long. You can't say anything to anyone anymore without worrying that it will offend them. This is beyond ridiculous.
John White

Amesbury, MA

#5 Jul 19, 2012
This has nothing to do with political correctness.
This has to do with racism and hatred - which cannot be tolerated in our society (ever hear of hate crimes?). People (esp. Police Officers and grown men - 38 years old!) need to be held accountable for hate crimes... simple as that folks. And, many in the city of Leominster are rightfully concerned about this officer's judgement while carrying out the role of police officer in the community. Think about it. If you are a minority for which a police officer has a hatred towards, do you feel comfortable with that? That's why police officers have to live up to VERY HIGH standards. People who carry/harbor such feelings of hate towards any group SHOULD NOT be allowed to be a police officer anywhere. Don't forget, people have come forward and revealed that this individual police officer has displayed this attitude of hate previously! So, there's a pattern of hate and that is MOST troubling. Unfortunately, it overshadows any of this man's good attributes.
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Jul 19, 2012
Cracker wrote:
This is ridiculous. I have never heard such a thing. So what is Tuesday used for? So how come when a black person calls another black person the "N" word it's OK? Rap music is riddled with the "N" word. And why is it
ok when a black person calls a white person "cracker"? This has all become so ridiculous. Let's use Tuesday's for the word "cracker" and call it even.. How foolish! Hey! does using the word fag make someone a bigot? Lets just use Wednesday now for that word.
Using the word is different than directing the word at an individual and you know the difference!

You cannot violate others civil rights, where have you been? Some people have ethnic jokes. Freedom of speech allows an individual to tell the joke but restricts it from being yelled at individuals.

I am gay. If you call me a "fag" then you violate my civil rights. You wouldn't direct it at me if you didn't think that it was hurtful. You can call me an asshole or POS and it doesn't hurt. Calling me a "fag" is directed at my sexual identity and is much more personal and assaulting. Now if you call me a POS relentlessly then Yes it becomes harrassment and unlawful.

You cannot violate others civil rights, Period. It is the law! I really hope that you are not a cop!

If you understand what matters then reread the part that states that people driving by the girls were against this officers behavior. They matter as it is public safety and trust of the community that is vital and a prerequisite to a public safety job.

If you allow this as slight then a lot is severed between the police and the community. Trust is an essential element of the job. This is why the job is called "public servant". This label is not meant to be degrading.

No, he didn't physically assault anyone. I understand that you feel that a racial slur is not physical as the old saying goes "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me".

Hurling a racial slur is worse in so many different ways as it is like using a pair of scissors to sever the trust of the community pertaining to your ability to treat everyone equally regardless of race, ethnicity or sexual identity.
Just Facts

Southborough, MA

#7 Jul 19, 2012
John White wrote:
This has to do with racism and hatred - which cannot be tolerated in our society (ever hear of hate crimes?). People (esp. Police Officers and grown men - 38 years old!) need to be held accountable for hate crimes... simple as that folks. And, many in the city of Leominster are rightfully concerned about this officer's judgement while carrying out the role of police officer in the community. Think about it. If you are a minority for which a police officer has a hatred towards, do you feel comfortable with that? That's why police officers have to live up to VERY HIGH standards. People who carry/harbor such feelings of hate towards any group SHOULD NOT be allowed to be a police officer anywhere. Don't forget, people have come forward and revealed that this individual police officer has displayed this attitude of hate previously! So, there's a pattern of hate and that is MOST troubling. Unfortunately, it overshadows any of this man's good attributes.
There have been all kinds of things said in the media and on this forum about what happened, but we all know how much the mass media can be trusted...don't we. We are seeing our society turned into a bunch of whining, crying little sissy boys that have no backbone. he called me a bad name....whhhhhaaaaaaa

Much of the hate crime legislation is an example of yet another over reach into our lives by government. he is part of a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic family that has continued to state that what happened was misunderstood. I'm certain his own family would know if he was a racist. Meanwhile, all those people that just LOVE the drama of it all are getting all excited about beating up on this guy, and the Leominster Mayor will be all too happy to throw him under a bus, and of course this is a big deal because the person supposedly injured is a black man.

If it was a white man, we wouldn't be hearing anything about it. It should be at the top of Obama's agenda to come here and straighten out this injustice...maybe he can get his justice department involved, and throw the guy in prison.

and if you disagree with me, then you must be a lollipop or something else derogatory...how about that!
Just Facts

Southborough, MA

#8 Jul 19, 2012
This country is falling apart when the name of a day of the week becomes a racial slur...I mean really...grow up!!
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Jul 19, 2012
Just Facts wrote:
This country is falling apart when the name of a day of the week becomes a racial slur...I mean really...grow up!!
Grow up? Who needs to grow up? Hate speech needs to be addressed. I do agree that there is too much hate speech that is allowed to be hurled at a white citizen.

As I stated, a person can say "fag" but when it is hurled at me with hate then it is a violation of my rights.

Now when the person hurling the hate speech is a public servant than YES the issue is more deep and it creats concerns of whether that individual can judge citizens equally across a spectrum.

Not understanding this is alarming. We all must demand civility, Period. If you are an individual that approves of the ability to be able to hurl hate speech at others then go live in a neighborhood in Germany that still allows hate speech.

Thank God the Mayor in leominster and the Chief do not agree with you! This is a plus for civility!

It sounds like you come from a world surrounded by entitlement crowds. It is the law in Massachusetts and you must abide by that law or you will be prosecuted.

Give your name and address and call me a Fag and I will press charges. Call my friend who is Spanish a Racist slur and he will press charges.

What exactly is your solution? Should we say Ok, if he calls you a N word then we suggest that you hurl back a derogatory statement back at him and then we will sit back and watch as it gets louder,nastier and more personal until one of you reacts in violence; then we will determine who has a past record, what a person does for work ans so on until we decide who gets charged.

So, now if this officer comes up to a scene where a dominican person is yelling "n-----" at an african American what should his position be? It is civility law and you need to abide or go to jail! End of story! Take your HATE message to a racist accepting neighborhood!
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Jul 19, 2012
Can you imagine a society where you would be able to chant "n-----" at any and all African Americans stepping to the plate during a baseball game?

Yes, America once was that place. And Yes, there are still people alive who were chanting and/or who have raised their kids under that hate world of thinking.

Thank God civility took grasp. I will tell you honestly; when I am called a POS or an asshole I don't like it but when someone snarls the word "fag" at me I feel it as it hurts as there pure HATRED is so apparent to me. It is assaultive.

I will be honest, if someone called me a cracker i don't feel hurt. If someone states "white trash" then it begins to feel an effect. No if a person of another ethnic background stated "all you whites are deplorably POS trash and deserve to die because you are white". then yes that is hate speech. Now, history has shown that the word"N-----" relays this message to people of African American decent.

I don't know why I attempt to explain logical thinking to you. You know what reality is and you know when you are using a racially driven hate slur, Period!
Veteran

Leominster, MA

#11 Jul 19, 2012
I believe that Monday should be a day off just add it on Saturday and Sunday! UH OH Hope I didn't offend anyone by saying Sat. or Sun..
Gay rules

Leominster, MA

#12 Jul 19, 2012
Lynch I thought the only rights you usualy have is the right to remain silent anything you say or do can be used against you in a court of law, you have the right to an attorney.
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Jul 19, 2012
Gay rules wrote:
Lynch I thought the only rights you usualy have is the right to remain silent anything you say or do can be used against you in a court of law, you have the right to an attorney.
You actually got me to laugh. It reminds me of a joke that a puerto rican guy should me, he said this is the version of the puerto rican Macarena dance. He begins to do the Macarena then puts one hand up on the wall then the other one with a snap and then one hand behind his head then the other and then one hand behind his back and then the other.

Now some puerto rican people that I know would take offense to that as others would just laugh. It is like the "paddy wagon" which some Irish take offense to hearing as it was originally labeled that because the police wagons came around to pick up the drunk paddys'. I just laugh. As these jokes are not racist as much as they are just ethnic jokes.

Now there is abig difference when a comedian is making a racial joke and that of a indidual pointing angrily at another and stating and angry racist slur.
Just Facts

Southborough, MA

#16 Jul 20, 2012
Lynch,

people have been using derogatory names to describe others since the dawn of man. You may believe the government can legislate courtesy just like you believe government can legislate selflessness...ain't gonna happen.

All our government has done is to define protected classes of people which further divides us. I would expect you to say what you are saying because you belong to one of those protected and coddled classes of people.

The suggestion that any word hurled at me or anyone else has any lasting action is absurd. Call me whatever you please, it makes absolutely no difference in my life and I couldn't care less.

Words are only words and it is pathetic that government feels they have a right to control someone's words. This kind of government follishness just takes on a life of its own and before you know it, we will be living under a government that will be in complete control of our lives.

I realize you like having Daddy government taking care of things for you, but most of us like to stand on our own two feet and be responsible adults.

I would say you need to grow a backbone, but we already know you haven't got one.
Rudness

Leominster, MA

#17 Jul 20, 2012
So when I say Monday sucks because it is the 1st day of the work week. This all sucks. People are just looking for a fight what is wrong here.
The whit people seem doomed for what ever they say will the minority get a life and a job! I pay taxes and most of the minority sits on their asses. I'm not a racist but, all I'm hearing they are making me one.
Just Facts

Southborough, MA

#18 Jul 20, 2012
Better be careful Rudness, you may get prosecuted for saying that...unless you are Black of course.

We've witnessed that it is completely OK for Blacks to beat up on themselves and each other, but don't let a White person say anything like Monday or Tuesday or Lollipop to them cause that is racist and is hate language.

It's OK for a Black guy to refer to his wife or girlfriend as a HO, but you better not let a White or Latino call him Monday...no sir, you better not do that.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#19 Jul 20, 2012
I suspect the city will be walking a fine line if they end up firing this guy. Anyone remember when they fired that cop Stratton and ended up paying him over a half million dollars in back pay?

My guess is he will get a suspension and be forced to take some sensitivity training then maybe be shuffled to another PD. Fitchburg should take him and have him walk the beat around the college area.

Location hidden

#20 Jul 20, 2012
Just Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been all kinds of things said in the media and on this forum about what happened, but we all know how much the mass media can be trusted...don't we. We are seeing our society turned into a bunch of whining, crying little sissy boys that have no backbone. he called me a bad name....whhhhhaaaaaaa
Much of the hate crime legislation is an example of yet another over reach into our lives by government. he is part of a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic family that has continued to state that what happened was misunderstood. I'm certain his own family would know if he was a racist. Meanwhile, all those people that just LOVE the drama of it all are getting all excited about beating up on this guy, and the Leominster Mayor will be all too happy to throw him under a bus, and of course this is a big deal because the person supposedly injured is a black man.
If it was a white man, we wouldn't be hearing anything about it. It should be at the top of Obama's agenda to come here and straighten out this injustice...maybe he can get his justice department involved, and throw the guy in prison.
and if you disagree with me, then you must be a lollipop or something else derogatory...how about that!
This whole 'race' thing is a canard. Its only purpose is to keep the likes of Al Sharpton (who should be jailed for inciting violence and hate), Jessie Jackson, Jeremiah Wright, Eric Holder and all other community agitator race baiters employed. One only need google Tawnya Brawley or Reverend Wright’s US of KKK to observe this canard in action. And sadly this country now has a community agitator race hustler occupying the White house who needed a beer summit when called out on his race hustling with one of his own victims! And let’s not forget the Black Panthers who got a personal tour of the white house before being given their Presidential get out of jail free card for a cut and dry voter intimidation case and one of his most recent effort at jumping on board that race hustler train heading down to Sanford Florida to agitate the masses.

Ethnicity is not important. But culture is. The most disturbing thing about the Community Agitator is that his culture simply is not American (see above US of KKK); he has no interest in America's well-being. This is why he can effortlessly employ despicable and divisive political and economic tactics in an effort to control the population and maintain his own personal power and spread the welfare agenda. Scarier still, is that he is attempting to transcend the political office to which he was elected, to a self-proclaimed king-like position, above and beyond Constitutional authority or legal restrictions. Hence, his continual attacks on this Country’s Constitution and upon our own Border States that are trying to protect themselves from being bled dry by illegal parasites that have jumped over the borders breeding new entitlement dependents. Welcome to Hope and Change!

Location hidden

#21 Jul 20, 2012
John White wrote:
If it is determined that this cop has a history of this behavior then he certainly should be terminated from employment. It's that simple.
Wow

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Jul 20, 2012
I wonder if he would call Big Papi or Manny a monday?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Upcoming Lynch Committment (Jan '14) 7 hr Watching 97
The Roys Capture 4th Consecutive ICM Bluegrass ... 8 hr Watching 42
Man shot in chest in Fitchburg early Friday mor... (Jul '13) 15 hr Jack Mehoffer 21
Fitchburg man accused in assault (Jun '12) 19 hr Ben from da Burg 4
Jtn jumps off brige 22 hr Jtn 1
Fake charges against Lynch were DISMISSED Thu BillyBob 93
Criminal justice system's 'dark secret' (Mar '13) Thu BillyBob 18

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg