Wong, others support charter review

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Mayor-elect Lisa Wong, along with a handful of city officials and residents, said they support reforming the city charter, which could change the city's government structure.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Jul 7, 2013
Keith Conner

AOL

#1 Nov 26, 2007
Who would want Ted DeSalvatore to have anything to do with a charter review commission? We don't want him in this city and who does he think he is to say " He would like to see the Mayor have a little weakened power." He wasn't man enough to take his loss at mayor. The people of Fitchburg want this man out of city government. He has caused enough trouble in this city and should get a real job or leave this city.
Red Baron

Damariscotta, ME

#2 Nov 26, 2007
Gestapo Ted says he would rather have a mayor with weakened power? This from the man who had a beef over mayoral campaign signs?

Don't worry Ted, Lisa isn't stupid and wasn't born yesterday. So keep your hobnail boots in the closet, and do the City of Fitchburg a favor and keep your nose out of politics. Your brand of politics aren't welcome...or didn't the preliminary election tell you that???
sonny brisebois

Concord, MA

#3 Nov 27, 2007
This has been the goal of the republican mayor for quite some time. I am not surprised that ted desalvitore is right there once again seeking to change our city to fit some other mold. If every outsider who comes to this city would stop thinking of it as a work in progress most of the problems would not even exist. Running a city or any government like a business is folly. cities are first and foremost a congregation of citizen and the homes in which we live. In business the bottom line is money, in a government the bottom line must be the people. Changing the charter is a mistake, especially when the people seeking to participate are newcomers who don't understand the soul of this city. Republican (Mylott, Desalvitore, romano and the rest) who sought the kind of change for fitchburg that they saw as the only way to deal with the challenges has come back to slap them on the chins because change of that magnitude takes more than a generation or two to come to fruition and must be supported by all or it is doomed to fail.
BUSINESS IS FOR MONEY-FITCHBURG IS FOR PEOPLE
sonny brisebois

Concord, MA

#4 Nov 27, 2007
I am now and have always been a fitchburg citizen and I am not nor have i ever been from or in marlboro..I'm here in fitchburg and will remain so
Red Baron

Damariscotta, ME

#5 Nov 27, 2007
sonny brisebois wrote:
This has been the goal of the republican mayor for quite some time. I am not surprised that ted desalvitore is right there once again seeking to change our city to fit some other mold. If every outsider who comes to this city would stop thinking of it as a work in progress most of the problems would not even exist. Running a city or any government like a business is folly. cities are first and foremost a congregation of citizen and the homes in which we live. In business the bottom line is money, in a government the bottom line must be the people. Changing the charter is a mistake, especially when the people seeking to participate are newcomers who don't understand the soul of this city. Republican (Mylott, Desalvitore, romano and the rest) who sought the kind of change for fitchburg that they saw as the only way to deal with the challenges has come back to slap them on the chins because change of that magnitude takes more than a generation or two to come to fruition and must be supported by all or it is doomed to fail.
BUSINESS IS FOR MONEY-FITCHBURG IS FOR PEOPLE
Sonny, I am not really sure where you are coming from, but if you were living in Fitchburg about 2 years ago, Mr. DeSalvatore had a group of people called the "Back Streets Group" (or something to that effect), who were dressed up in black shirts, some of them wearing military camoflage pants, wearing black boots, marching in the Civic Days Parade. Now what that basically created, was an image right out of Nazi Germany. Basically their group has this idea that "If we don't know you, you are probably a criminal/drug seller/drug user, and they call the cops, and push to have you busted.

Furthermore, Ted DeSalvatore had this vision in his ill-fated attempt to be mayor, that would have made the city nothing more than homeowners and Fitchburg State College. What that meant, is that folks who rent apartments under his beliefs...were vermin and you don't belong. Ted believes...you rent, you are no better than the homeless in Fitchburg.

As for your feelings about the city not being run as a business. Well Sonny, all cities/municipalities have to run as a business. The people who run the city, creat the budgets are supposed to have some form of formal business training in College. Unfortunately in Fitchburg's case, it's the old boy network. Problem is....the old boy network days in business are equivalent to the dinosaurs. An extinct specie, when the business is a municipality.

Sonny, with Lisa Wong, the city gets returned to the people who live, work, and play in Fitchburg. When I mean live, it is for EVERYONE, not just the homeowners.

“Baise toi.”

Since: Nov 07

Amherst, NH

#6 Nov 27, 2007
The weeks since the election haven't made you any smarter, have they, Red?

Cities are not run as businesses.(God, you're an idiot.) And Sonny is right - to attempt to do so is folly.

Fitchburg's budget is crafted by its mayor. There is no credential required, educational or otherwise, to run for mayor in Fitchburg or anywhere else, as far as I know.

This so-called "old boy network" that you seem compelled to mention with your every post doesn't exist, as far as I can tell. Even if it does, Dan Mylott sure wasn't a part of it back when he was measuring me for trousers and looked like he needed a bath. Fitchburg's voters elected him. Over and over.

Every time you mention Lisa Wong, you make her seem stupider by association. You really do.
Kenneth Biagioni

Concord, MA

#7 Nov 27, 2007
As former candadite for Ward 4 this past election I myself felt it was important that the chartrer be changed and would consider sitting on a charter rewiew commision.I felt that if we were to bring Fitchburg into the 21st Century then we would have to change the charter so that the council membes would have the way and mens to do there job.
mel

Rutland, MA

#8 Nov 28, 2007
get out of that dump while you can ! So glad I am no longer living in that city !
Red Baron

Damariscotta, ME

#9 Nov 28, 2007
Maybe if Bileman would say something more intelligent than the bathing habits of Dan Mylott, he would actually know what he is talking about.

Having lived in Fitchburg in the 1980's and from 2000-2007, it is obvious that neither Mary Whitney (and if Bileman was really up on his facts, he would find that I also criticized her also...but seeing he's a dope, he wouldn't), nor Mylott have done this city any good. Furthermore, Lisa is also younger than the last two mayors. Mary Whitney (a lousy excuse for a democrat), didn't get the job done. Dan Mylott spent more on a Police Department, let the streets turn into a potholed mess, and the City Council just spent the money for him, "with a credit card mentality" (actual quote of Annie DeMartino).

It isn't all about Lisa, but you have to start from somewhere. It is just the beginning.

PS: While Mr. Bileman and his friend GO GIRL/LIZ wished and hoped for Donnelly (another big spender from the City Council to get elected), they will go on and on, demeaning those who don't agree with them. Why not, after all they backed a guy like Donnelly who had his head up Mylotts rear for so long, the city went broke! Great minds think alike...don't they Bileman and Liz!!!!!!
Red Baron

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Jul 6, 2013
Red Baron wrote:
<quoted text>
Sonny, I am not really sure where you are coming from, but if you were living in Fitchburg about 2 years ago, Mr. DeSalvatore had a group of people called the "Back Streets Group" (or something to that effect), who were dressed up in black shirts, some of them wearing military camoflage pants, wearing black boots, marching in the Civic Days Parade. Now what that basically created, was an image right out of Nazi Germany. Basically their group has this idea that "If we don't know you, you are probably a criminal/drug seller/drug user, and they call the cops, and push to have you busted.
Furthermore, Ted DeSalvatore had this vision in his ill-fated attempt to be mayor, that would have made the city nothing more than homeowners and Fitchburg State College. What that meant, is that folks who rent apartments under his beliefs...were vermin and you don't belong. Ted believes...you rent, you are no better than the homeless in Fitchburg.
As for your feelings about the city not being run as a business. Well Sonny, all cities/municipalities have to run as a business. The people who run the city, creat the budgets are supposed to have some form of formal business training in College. Unfortunately in Fitchburg's case, it's the old boy network. Problem is....the old boy network days in business are equivalent to the dinosaurs. An extinct specie, when the business is a municipality.
Sonny, with Lisa Wong, the city gets returned to the people who live, work, and play in Fitchburg. When I mean live, it is for EVERYONE, not just the homeowners.
"good ole boy network,huh"? what is that
Rollstone

Forestdale, MA

#13 Jul 7, 2013
Red Baron wrote:
<quoted text>
"good ole boy network,huh"? what is that
2 suspects in fatal beating have long criminal histories
“The Boston Herald yesterday obtained confidential criminal offender records for Kevin A. Lynch, 22, of South Boston and Kevin M. Dahl, 20, of Weymouth, who are said to have the most extensive criminal histories among the nine accused of fatally beating and stabbing [Andrew McDonough], 23, Saturday.
Both Lynch and Dahl were named by homicide detective Sgt. William Mahoney as participants in the attack on McDonough, who died two hours after he was found in the street with stab wounds and other injuries.
Mahoney, testifying at the defendants' arraignment Monday, said witnesses saw Lynch kicking McDonough in the head in the 2 a.m. assault, which occurred after McDonough and some friends reportedly were turned away from a party at Lynch's home on L Street.”
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bostonherald/acce ...
Kenneth Biagioni

Fitchburg, MA

#14 Jul 7, 2013
Kenneth Biagioni wrote:
As former candadite for Ward 4 this past election I myself felt it was important that the chartrer be changed and would consider sitting on a charter rewiew commision.I felt that if we were to bring Fitchburg into the 21st Century then we would have to change the charter so that the council membes would have the way and mens to do there job.
Ward 4 is open

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Fitchburg, MA 2 hr Observer 41
Has Jtn ruined Topix? 5 hr Tammy from Miami 1
Numbers of homeless increase in region 9 hr But 6
Thief grabs cash box at Leominster farm stand 12 hr Tim 4
Man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend - Sen... (Sep '09) Fri Karen 67
McKay hosting family barbecue Thu Karen 2
Fitchburg Market Basket workers elated to be back Aug 28 Karen 1
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••